Save 30% at the 49ers official online store →

There are 177 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by JTB1974:
I won't be surprised if Darnold gets booed on Friday.

What a disgrace if that happens. Would be a shameful low point for this fan base, and that's saying a lot.

Agreed. All Sam did was working hard to win the QB2 job. No reason to boo Sam.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Fine, then why even bother moving up to get Lance then? If you didn't want Mac Jones, and wasn't gonna give the keys to Lance in year one after mortgaging draft future why not stay put and draft elsewhere? Where was Micah Parsons drafted again?

They were out of their gourd? It was a big time mistake. Is what it is.

Yup they got it wrong. They see him everyday, they know the plays, they've done the retrospectives with him on why the practice or game snap turned out the way it did. They presumably have a much better understanding than we do with the 170 snaps and as was said are washing their hands.

it sounds like they haven't fully given up and hope he stays but he's not what the team needs at QB2 right now.
[ Edited by Shorteous on Aug 23, 2023 at 8:29 PM ]
Originally posted by libertyforever:

What a disgrace if that happens. Would be a shameful low point for this fan base, and that's saying a lot.

Lets get REAL here... Shanny basically forces Lance to quit and/or ask for a TRADE... by naming Darnold the 2nd stringer base on the last 10 days or so, Lance is force to call his agent and asks for a TRADE..

This also prevents B-Rock to NOT look over his shoulder and making him feel that THIS IS HIS TEAM NOW !!
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by boast:
This is BS. Shanny has lied to the media before. Plus, the way he went after Darnold on day one of free agency lead many to conclude that the writing was on the wall for Lance from the very beginning. It would not surprise me for it to come out that Lance asked for a trade after acquiring Darnold. And give how Shanny has treated him I can't blame him.

yeah f**k Shanny for naming Trey the unquestionable starter going into 2022. f**k Shanny for breaking Trey's finger and his ankle. f**k Shanny!!!! amirite!

Now your being hyperbolic. My problem is that Shanny has totally mismanaged this whole QB situation, but people like you are acting like we're pulling stuff out of the sky. Shanny made his mind up about Lance at the end of last season. He had no real intention to develop Lance fully. I think he realized how much it was gonna really take to develop him and simply checked out. He proceeded to sign two absolute busts, and then made him "compete" with the one who proved - beyond a shadow of a doubt - in front of God and the whole world in 55 games he's a bonified bust. From my eye, Darnold didn't out-play Lance. From many reports from those who were at camp stated that Lance looked better than Darnold in practice.

Given that, Shanny's mind was already made up to move on from Lance a long time ago but was surprised at the real progress he'd made. When he said Darnold would split reps with Darnold I knew then that Lance had no chance, no matter the progress or how he looked in practice. If Shanny truly intended to develop Lance, he would have given all the reps to Lance and never subjected him to no "competition" with anyone for QB2 given what the 49ers spent to get him, period. Instead, to save face from their own evaluation ineptitudes, they allowed narratives that put all the fault with Lance to proliferate all throughout the media, even to the point where many sports commentators spewed personal insults at Lance. And because they don't have a press corps like in NY or Chicago, where Shanny would actually be asked the hard questions and not treated with kid gloves, they were allowed let Lance eat the blow-back of those narrative with no defense or pushback from Shanny, Lynch or any 49ers brass. He basically was hung out to dry. For me, this is most condemnable and damning.

No Sir, my beloved 49ers failed Trey Lance. I'll always pull for my 49ers, no matter who the QB is. But this team DID NOT get better today; we got worse with naming Darnold the number 2. I know Shanny said that he plans to play Lance tomorrow, but frankly what's the point for Lance? If I were Lance, I wouldn't want to be anywhere close to a football field until I got traded or released. There's absolutely no need for him to go out there and risk injury playing against future Home Depot workers trying desperately to make a team.

i dont agree it was mismanaged. i believe unfortunately timed injuries derailed the team's plan for Trey. he was given the team in 2022. got injured and then we all watched Brock's ascension.

You'll get no grip with me about Brock. He took full advantage of his opportunity and earned QB1. I think Lance even agreed with that. But QB2 should have NEVER been up for grabs. NEVER!! The guy had only 4 regular season starts. Lance had shown nothing at all to prove that any competition was even warranted, least of all with Sam Darnold. He didn't need competition. No, slit reps in a "competition" was nothing more than a ruse to hide the fact that Shanny had already made up his mind.

I use the word "mismanagement" to describe Shanny's handling of Lance because that's just what the hell it was - mismanaged! For starters, we should have never spent 3 years' worth of 1st rounders to move up to 3rd overall if he wasn't gonna be given the keys to the car at some point in 2021. (Has there ever been a QB drafted in the top 5 who sat out a year?) So the mismanagement started with drafting Trey Lance to begin with on a SB-ready team. Then, you don't develop him as a passer, choosing instead to run him on QB power when he really didn't do that at NDSU. This tells me the plan for him was questionable from the beginning. Next, you subject him to a QB2 "competition", a QB2 "competition" with a widely known, proven bust with 5 years, 55 games, and 55 interceptions worth of evidence that he's in fact a bust. By everyone's assessments, even Shanny and Lynch's, Lance needed reps. He didn't need spit reps. Then you leave him out to dry in the media, rendering the guy you mortgaged heavy draft future for, no defense or media pushback at all. Sports commentators were allowed to make personal attacks on him with no response from the 49ers. And to top it all off, the coming trade will likely be the worst in NFL history in terms of compensation and return of draft investment.

Good Sir, in what world is this NOT mismanagement?

Lol. Yes QB2 should have been up for grabs. Don't hand it to an injury prone QB that hasn't shown anything. It was a competition, he lost.
Not shocked Trey ended up QB3.

QB1 and QB2 will probably work on the weekly game plan, QB3 gets scout team snaps. Probably the best place for a dude that needs reps.

What did Trey do in preseason? 9 drives? 3 scores? 5 potential interceptions? Dude needs work still.

What I am shocked about is Trey needing a day off to process his emotions.... This is the NFL, a player misses a good portion of time the team will make serious contingency plans. Sam is just as much about Brock as it is Trey... these dudes need to be available as much as possible.

If Mitchell needed days off because the 49ers brought on CMC to process his feelings....I suspect he would end up traded. It's the NFL be ready, be available and be positive.
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Yup they got it wrong. They seem everyday, they know the plays, they've done the retrospectives with him on why the practice or game snap turned out the way it did. They presumably have a much better understanding than we do with the 170 snaps and as was said are washing their hands.

it sounds like they haven't fully given up and hope he stays but he's not what the team needs at QB2 right now.

Sounds like Kyle wants his cake and to eat it to. Doesn't want to play Trey but also doesn't want him to go somewhere else and make him look stupid. He would rather just bury him on his roster.
Originally posted by Dshearn:

QB1 and QB2 will probably work on the weekly game plan, QB3 gets scout team snaps. Probably the best place for a dude that needs reps.

What did Trey do in preseason? 9 drives? 3 scores? 5 potential interceptions? Dude needs work still.

What I am shocked about is Trey needing a day off to process his emotions.... This is the NFL, a player misses a good portion of time the team will make serious contingency plans. Sam is just as much about Brock as it is Trey... these dudes need to be available as much as possible.

If Mitchell needed days off because the 49ers brought on CMC to process his feelings....I suspect he would end up traded. It's the NFL be ready, be available and be positive.

U ALL SAW IT.. .. after the Denver game, it really showed where Lance belongs.. he's so raw.. he's got so much to learn.. and he belongs w/the 3s!!

Yup I agree with you guys. Although I think Sam isn't a good QB, he doesn't deserve to be booed cause he did nothing wrong. Kyle/Lynch are the ones who should be booed if anything because they are the ones responsible for the entire thing.
This is BS. Shanny has lied to the media before. Plus, the way he went after Darnold on day one of free agency lead many to conclude that the writing was on the wall for Lance from the very beginning. It would not surprise me for it to come out that Lance asked for a trade after acquiring Darnold. And give how Shanny has treated him I can't blame him.

yeah f**k Shanny for naming Trey the unquestionable starter going into 2022. f**k Shanny for breaking Trey's finger and his ankle. f**k Shanny!!!! amirite!

Now your being hyperbolic. My problem is that Shanny has totally mismanaged this whole QB situation, but people like you are acting like we're pulling stuff out of the sky. Shanny made his mind up about Lance at the end of last season. He had no real intention to develop Lance fully. I think he realized how much it was gonna really take to develop him and simply checked out. He proceeded to sign two absolute busts, and then made him "compete" with the one who proved - beyond a shadow of a doubt - in front of God and the whole world in 55 games he's a bonified bust. From my eye, Darnold didn't out-play Lance. From many reports from those who were at camp stated that Lance looked better than Darnold in practice.

Given that, Shanny's mind was already made up to move on from Lance a long time ago but was surprised at the real progress he'd made. When he said Darnold would split reps with Darnold I knew then that Lance had no chance, no matter the progress or how he looked in practice. If Shanny truly intended to develop Lance, he would have given all the reps to Lance and never subjected him to no "competition" with anyone for QB2 given what the 49ers spent to get him, period. Instead, to save face from their own evaluation ineptitudes, they allowed narratives that put all the fault with Lance to proliferate all throughout the media, even to the point where many sports commentators spewed personal insults at Lance. And because they don't have a press corps like in NY or Chicago, where Shanny would actually be asked the hard questions and not treated with kid gloves, they were allowed let Lance eat the blow-back of those narrative with no defense or pushback from Shanny, Lynch or any 49ers brass. He basically was hung out to dry. For me, this is most condemnable and damning.

No Sir, my beloved 49ers failed Trey Lance. I'll always pull for my 49ers, no matter who the QB is. But this team DID NOT get better today; we got worse with naming Darnold the number 2. I know Shanny said that he plans to play Lance tomorrow, but frankly what's the point for Lance? If I were Lance, I wouldn't want to be anywhere close to a football field until I got traded or released. There's absolutely no need for him to go out there and risk injury playing against future Home Depot workers trying desperately to make a team.

i dont agree it was mismanaged. i believe unfortunately timed injuries derailed the team's plan for Trey. he was given the team in 2022. got injured and then we all watched Brock's ascension.

You'll get no grip with me about Brock. He took full advantage of his opportunity and earned QB1. I think Lance even agreed with that. But QB2 should have NEVER been up for grabs. NEVER!! The guy had only 4 regular season starts. Lance had shown nothing at all to prove that any competition was even warranted, least of all with Sam Darnold. He didn't need competition. No, slit reps in a "competition" was nothing more than a ruse to hide the fact that Shanny had already made up his mind.

I use the word "mismanagement" to describe Shanny's handling of Lance because that's just what the hell it was - mismanaged! For starters, we should have never spent 3 years' worth of 1st rounders to move up to 3rd overall if he wasn't gonna be given the keys to the car at some point in 2021. (Has there ever been a QB drafted in the top 5 who sat out a year?) So the mismanagement started with drafting Trey Lance to begin with on a SB-ready team. Then, you don't develop him as a passer, choosing instead to run him on QB power when he really didn't do that at NDSU. This tells me the plan for him was questionable from the beginning. Next, you subject him to a QB2 "competition", a QB2 "competition" with a widely known, proven bust with 5 years, 55 games, and 55 interceptions worth of evidence that he's in fact a bust. By everyone's assessments, even Shanny and Lynch's, Lance needed reps. He didn't need spit reps. Then you leave him out to dry in the media, rendering the guy you mortgaged heavy draft future for, no defense or media pushback at all. Sports commentators were allowed to make personal attacks on him with no response from the 49ers. And to top it all off, the coming trade will likely be the worst in NFL history in terms of compensation and return of draft investment.

Good Sir, in what world is this NOT mismanagement?

• the team was in unique situation with an opportunity to swing for the fences drafting Trey with an already stacked team. that's not mismanagement.
  • NDSU's offense foundation is built upon power gap running with the QB and RB lol (did you not see any pre draft highlights of Trey trucking fools?)
  • Darnold was signed when Trey was still injured. not bringing a QB to compete for the back up wouldve been irresponsible
  • Sam clearly beat out Trey for QB2 going by the two games we all watched. (tweets dont tell the whole story of how the competition in camp went)
  • Trey's feelings dont really matter in any of this. he's an adult and this is a business.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
There has never been a top drafted QB who has gotten so little gametime to prove his worth before being dumped in NFL history. What the 49ers are doing with Trey Lance is absolutely unprecedented.

This isn't true. At all. The NFL is littered with 1st round QBs that ended up playing about what Lance already has with the team that selected them. Drunkenmiller. McGwire. Ware. Marinovich.

None of those guys were even close to 3rd overall.

And the fact that your most recent example was 30+ years ago proves my point.

Bingo, but I'm ok with him needing to take a day off, it's very high profile and he's very young.
Originally posted by 9moon:

Lets get REAL here... Shanny basically forces Lance to quit and/or ask for a TRADE... by naming Darnold the 2nd stringer base on the last 10 days or so, Lance is force to call his agent and asks for a TRADE..

This also prevents B-Rock to NOT look over his shoulder and making him feel that THIS IS HIS TEAM NOW !!

Not really. Trey doesn't have to request for a trade. He can happily be QB3 if he is a good team player.

Darnold had like 12 drives and 1 score.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
There has never been a top drafted QB who has gotten so little gametime to prove his worth before being dumped in NFL history. What the 49ers are doing with Trey Lance is absolutely unprecedented.

This isn't true. At all. The NFL is littered with 1st round QBs that ended up playing about what Lance already has with the team that selected them. Drunkenmiller. McGwire. Ware. Marinovich.

None of those guys were even close to 3rd overall.

And the fact that your most recent example was 30+ years ago proves my point.

What top 3 QB got injured both seasons while his team made it to the NFCCG both seasons with better QB play than he showed?
Darnold had like 12 drives and 1 score.

Darnold made good decisions, and threw accurate passes. Had a few very nice throws over both preseason games. Showed some good athleticism.

It's a team sport.
Share 49ersWebzone