There are 193 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Shemp:
Give credit to the front office for not trying to save face by putting Lance as QB2. They put him where they think he belongs, even if it makes them look really bad, and shines a spotlight on what truly is one of the worst draft trades in NFL history.

It's simply awful at this point. Unbelievable.

QB 3 for what we gave up.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Shorteous:
3rd string QB. Wow. Exploring trade options but getting NO OFFERS.

The Trey guys are really hurting now.

It's all Kyle's fault….

for "lucking" into Brock Purdy…

Probably but thank goodness we did. Because this guy is terrible.

I'm a great believer in luck and I've found that the harder I work the more of it I have.

-not my words
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by boast:
This is BS. Shanny has lied to the media before. Plus, the way he went after Darnold on day one of free agency lead many to conclude that the writing was on the wall for Lance from the very beginning. It would not surprise me for it to come out that Lance asked for a trade after acquiring Darnold. And give how Shanny has treated him I can't blame him.

yeah f**k Shanny for naming Trey the unquestionable starter going into 2022. f**k Shanny for breaking Trey's finger and his ankle. f**k Shanny!!!! amirite!

Now your being hyperbolic. My problem is that Shanny has totally mismanaged this whole QB situation, but people like you are acting like we're pulling stuff out of the sky. Shanny made his mind up about Lance at the end of last season. He had no real intention to develop Lance fully. I think he realized how much it was gonna really take to develop him and simply checked out. He proceeded to sign two absolute busts, and then made him "compete" with the one who proved - beyond a shadow of a doubt - in front of God and the whole world in 55 games he's a bonified bust. From my eye, Darnold didn't out-play Lance. From many reports from those who were at camp stated that Lance looked better than Darnold in practice.

Given that, Shanny's mind was already made up to move on from Lance a long time ago but was surprised at the real progress he'd made. When he said Darnold would split reps with Darnold I knew then that Lance had no chance, no matter the progress or how he looked in practice. If Shanny truly intended to develop Lance, he would have given all the reps to Lance and never subjected him to no "competition" with anyone for QB2 given what the 49ers spent to get him, period. Instead, to save face from their own evaluation ineptitudes, they allowed narratives that put all the fault with Lance to proliferate all throughout the media, even to the point where many sports commentators spewed personal insults at Lance. And because they don't have a press corps like in NY or Chicago, where Shanny would actually be asked the hard questions and not treated with kid gloves, they were allowed let Lance eat the blow-back of those narrative with no defense or pushback from Shanny, Lynch or any 49ers brass. He basically was hung out to dry. For me, this is most condemnable and damning.

No Sir, my beloved 49ers failed Trey Lance. I'll always pull for my 49ers, no matter who the QB is. But this team DID NOT get better today; we got worse with naming Darnold the number 2. I know Shanny said that he plans to play Lance tomorrow, but frankly what's the point for Lance? If I were Lance, I wouldn't want to be anywhere close to a football field until I got traded or released. There's absolutely no need for him to go out there and risk injury playing against future Home Depot workers trying desperately to make a team.

i dont agree it was mismanaged. i believe unfortunately timed injuries derailed the team's plan for Trey. he was given the team in 2022. got injured and then we all watched Brock's ascension.

You'll get no grip with me about Brock. He took full advantage of his opportunity and earned QB1. I think Lance even agreed with that. But QB2 should have NEVER been up for grabs. NEVER!! The guy had only 4 regular season starts. Lance had shown nothing at all to prove that any competition was even warranted, least of all with Sam Darnold. He didn't need competition. No, slit reps in a "competition" was nothing more than a ruse to hide the fact that Shanny had already made up his mind.

I use the word "mismanagement" to describe Shanny's handling of Lance because that's just what the hell it was - mismanaged! For starters, we should have never spent 3 years' worth of 1st rounders to move up to 3rd overall if he wasn't gonna be given the keys to the car at some point in 2021. (Has there ever been a QB drafted in the top 5 who sat out a year?) So the mismanagement started with drafting Trey Lance to begin with on a SB-ready team. Then, you don't develop him as a passer, choosing instead to run him on QB power when he really didn't do that at NDSU. This tells me the plan for him was questionable from the beginning. Next, you subject him to a QB2 "competition", a QB2 "competition" with a widely known, proven bust with 5 years, 55 games, and 55 interceptions worth of evidence that he's in fact a bust. By everyone's assessments, even Shanny and Lynch's, Lance needed reps. He didn't need spit reps. Then you leave him out to dry in the media, rendering the guy you mortgaged heavy draft future for, no defense or media pushback at all. Sports commentators were allowed to make personal attacks on him with no response from the 49ers. And to top it all off, the coming trade will likely be the worst in NFL history in terms of compensation and return of draft investment.

Good Sir, in what world is this NOT mismanagement?

• the team was in unique situation with an opportunity to swing for the fences drafting Trey with an already stacked team. that's not mismanagement.
  • NDSU's offense foundation is built upon power gap running with the QB and RB lol (did you not see any pre draft highlights of Trey trucking fools?)
  • Darnold was signed when Trey was still injured. not bringing a QB to compete for the back up wouldve been irresponsible
  • Sam clearly beat out Trey for QB2 going by the two games we all watched. (tweets dont tell the whole story of how the competition in camp went)
  • Trey's feelings dont really matter in any of this. he's an adult and this is a business.

I disagree with you, this was a mismanagement. He should have never been drafted to begin with. SB-ready team's have no business spending that much to move up that far for a raw QB everyone knew needed at least a few years of development.

I did see him truck a few guys. But I even knew he wasn't going to do that to NFL defenses. And his passing wasn't bad, just his mechanics needed work.

Its disingenuous to say tha Lance was still injurerd when Darnold was signed. He was signed the first day of free agency, a time when everyone knew Lance had been in full workouts on his own. No, Shanny made his m8nd up a long time ago that they were moving on from Lance.

I don't buy that Darnold "clearly" beat out Lance. From my eye during the preseason games Lance look better overall. And from the reports from folks who were at the practice who saw them both say that Lance was slightly better. And no, I'm not relying on Twitter reports.

In my critiques of this mismanagement I have tried to stay away from what's fair or feelings. I haven't mentioned anything about his feelings.

Sam looks like a QB. Lance looks like a project in year 3. Wast decision for the good of the team and I am sure the players appreciate it.

You're right. He IS a project. EVERYONE KNEW THIS BEFORE HE WAS DRAFTED!!! Which is why he shoul have NEVER been drafted on a "WIN NOW" SB-READY team, much less spend what we spent to draft him.

Again, mismanagement.

Not really. He got hurt, if he didn't, he would be developing at a regular pace and probably still starting. But... he got hurt and Purdy took his job. Can't predict injury, but it isn't holding his job here.

It's all Kyle's fault….

I'm a great believer in luck and I've found that the harder I work the more of it I have.

-not my words

"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."

- Roman philosopher Seneca
I don't see the harm in keeping him as qb3 for the time being
I tried to trade Charbonnet in my dynasty league for Purdy because I only have Burrow who is currently injured and the trade got reversed because they said it was too one sided in favor of him. Niner fans think way more highly of Brock than the rest of the NFL fans around the league.
"I mean, Steve Young took a while to get going, and he's one of the best quarterbacks of all time," Shanahan said. "I don't like to compare anyone to Steve, cause of how good he is, but why can't Sam be like that? He's got that type of ability. He is that type of person. And I'm just pumped that we could get a talented guy like him here."
The hype before the dump of Lance. Also..if it took Steve a while, who was also injury prone, why not give Lance a bit more time? Hopefully, he will get a *good amount* of time in the Chargers game. I just don't see how Sam could be the next Young lol.
[ Edited by Montana on Aug 23, 2023 at 9:28 PM ]

It's all Kyle's fault….

-not my words

- Roman philosopher Seneca - Tankle104
Fixed
Does everyone feel Kyle lied yesterday when he said he wouldn't name QB2 until just before the Pittsburgh game?
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JTB1974:
I tried to trade Charbonnet in my dynasty league for Purdy because I only have Burrow who is currently injured and the trade got reversed because they said it was too one sided in favor of him. Niner fans think way more highly of Brock than the rest of the NFL fans around the league.

You are basing this off some fantasy football trade that got reversed? Correct?

Originally posted by tankle104:

It's all Kyle's fault….

-not my words

- Roman philosopher Seneca - Tankle104
Fixed

Not really. He got hurt, if he didn't, he would be developing at a regular pace and probably still starting. But... he got hurt and Purdy took his job. Can't predict injury, but it isn't holding his job here.

My issue is not Brock starting. It's the whole Sam Darnold thing. He never should have been signed. Just have Brock as #1 and have Trey as #2. Drama over. Still bring in Allen as the #3. But signing Darnold has created this whole mess.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JTB1974:

My issue is not Brock starting. It's the whole Sam Darnold thing. He never should have been signed. Just have Brock as #1 and have Trey as #2. Drama over. Still bring in Allen as the #3. But signing Darnold has created this whole mess.

Why not? Trey isn't good, so they wanted someone better
You are basing this off some fantasy football trade that got reversed? Correct?

I am just using it as an example of what fans think of our starting QB and how much respect they have for him. I honestly thought it was a fair trade but they basically said I was getting ripped off and only did the trade because I am a Niners fan.
Remember all those leaks sometime back, supposedly coming from the team regarding Sam... Greg Papa talking about Sam could challenge Brock for the starting job.... those leaks were getting called out for being suspicious. They seemed so ridiculous at the time. Many of the regular reporters at camp and practice have said Trey looked better than Sam.

Kyle is the leaker folks. Damn shame.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Aug 23, 2023 at 9:34 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone