There are 88 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by TreyDeyEeyDey:
Originally posted by Montana:
To have Trey be applauded by fans like he was during the Broncos game..then to have this? Plenty of upset fans out there I am sure.

I'm obviously a big Trey guy and I'm not upset that we might be trading him, I'm more upset about the situation as a whole. It's been an absolute failure from top to bottom.

The failure was drafting such a raw player onto a team in win now mode. Lawrence wouldn't have been worth the capital we spent on Trey. He was nowhere near as ready to play as they must've thought. I wish the kid well, and hope he enjoys the millions he got paid.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by RDB4216:
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
There has never been a top drafted QB who has gotten so little gametime to prove his worth before being dumped in NFL history. What the 49ers are doing with Trey Lance is absolutely unprecedented.

This isn't true. At all. The NFL is littered with 1st round QBs that ended up playing about what Lance already has with the team that selected them. Drunkenmiller. McGwire. Ware. Marinovich.

"Littered with" - but then you didn't give a single example within the last 20+ years...

In general teams have held on TOO LONG with top drafted QBs the last 20 years. Very few struggle like Alex Smith for a long while and then turn into solid starters. Usually guys like Vince Young or Akili Smith or JaMarcus Russell should have been replaced a lot earlier than they were.

These are just off the top of my head, by the way. I know the 80s/90s ones better because I followed the league overall closer than the last 20 years.

Matt leinert was dumped pretty quickly for Kurt
Originally posted by mod:
Well there are 2 ways you can interpret this…

1. Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch have less football intelligence than you.

Or

2. Trey lance has been outperformed by Mr irrelevant on the practice field and on in game when given the opportunities.

it's really pretty straight forward like this, when you think about it

now did they whiff on the draft eval, sure.. but hey drafting is very inexact, having a guy in the bldg for 3 years, KS has been saying for weeks now, that you don't really know until you get a guy in the bldg, on the prax field and out there in games. until that happens, you just don't know on these guys.. drafting is hard
I got promoted today and was happy.

Ten minutes after being informed of that, I get a text saying that this proven scrub Darnold is QB2.

Tainted what should have been a very happy day.

Eff you Kyle and your kirk cousins darnold loving ass.

With the ovation Trey got when he went in vs the Broncos and then played great those last two drives in the manner he did and the throws he made, I'm thinking Darnold gonna get booed like crazy when he takes the field on Friday night. Would be the appropriate response and warranted.
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:

Ten minutes after being informed of that, I get a text saying that this proven scrub Darnold is QB2.

With the ovation Trey got when he went in vs the Broncos and then played great those last two drives in the manner he did and the throws he made, I'm thinking Darnold gonna get booed like crazy when he takes the field on Friday night. Would be the appropriate response and warranted.

Boo the QB who outplayed the other and earned a higher spot on the depth chart?

why?
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Boo the QB who outplayed the other and earned a higher spot on the depth chart?

why?

Delusional

It's like getting the fans hopes up of what Trey can be and finally seing it 1st hand and then a few days later naming him QB3. The timing is just way off. If this decision was made after the Raiders game the fans would probally not be that surprised. But Trey was lighting it up vs the Broncos scoring in 3 of the last 4 drives and leading the comeback victory. And then boom he is QB3. I don't blame Trey for being upset, He was probally shocked. Like all that work in the off-season was for nothing.

And didn't Kyle say he was not going to name the #2 until just before the Steelers game and that he will probally rotate 2 and 3 depending on how each week goes? And that was just a couple of days ago. Why make that decision now with still one game left? What if Darnold throws 2 picks and Trey just lights it up?
[ Edited by JTB1974 on Aug 23, 2023 at 11:19 PM ]
From the Athletic on Lances trade value after interviewing Gms:

Three executives believed the 49ers could acquire at least a third-round pick for Lance — maybe as high as a second-rounder if a team is desperate enough — or a third plus a late-round selection.

The rest believed a late Saturday pick would be the best-case scenario for San Francisco, with a couple who were skeptical the Niners could move him at all.

Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by TreyLanceFan:
all you haters gonna find out that trey> the white boys.. purdy can make the throws that trey can? purdy can run better? and sam darnold? he a joke, yall gonna learn real quick its a mistake to trade trey. mark my words

lol and I thought the Alex Smith vs Sean Hill debates were crazy. These Trey fans take it to a whole new level.

Originally posted by mitpdub:

Three executives believed the 49ers could acquire at least a third-round pick for Lance — maybe as high as a second-rounder if a team is desperate enough — or a third plus a late-round selection.

The rest believed a late Saturday pick would be the best-case scenario for San Francisco, with a couple who were skeptical the Niners could move him at all.

This is months old correct? Like pre-draft IIRC?
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by mitpdub:

This is months old correct? Like pre-draft IIRC?

If we got anything more than a 6th I'd be happy
Originally posted by JTB1974:

It's like getting the fans hopes up of what Trey can be and finally seing it 1st hand and then a few days later naming him QB3. The timing is just way off. If this decision was made after the Raiders game the fans would probally not be that surprised. But Trey was lighting it up vs the Broncos scoring in 3 of the last 4 drives and leading the comeback victory. And then boom he is QB3. I don't blame Trey for being upset, He was probally shocked. Like all that work in the off-season was for nothing.

And didn't Kyle say he was not going to name the #2 until just before the Steelers game and that he will probally rotate 2 and 3 depending on how each week goes? And that was just a couple of days ago. Why make that decision now with still one game left? What if Darnold throws 2 picks and Trey just lights it up?
All that work and he still needs a lot of work. Who cares if he's QB3, he can still get work in
Originally posted by mod:
If we got anything more than a 6th I'd be happy

This is why I believe it's person with some fans. Some just want to get rid of him for anything when it does no harm having him on the team. Atleast for this season.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
All that work and he still needs a lot of work. Who cares if he's QB3, he can still get work in

How many reps is he going to get as the #3 guy?
Share 49ersWebzone