There are 188 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by pd24:
What is your point? You were wrong. Own it until Lance proves us wrong. Lol

Wrong about what? Lance? All I ever said about him was I wanted him to have a legit chance to fail before saying he can't be good. 170 random passing attempts is far from saying he blows. That's all I ever said. I wanted him to play from day 1 so we can find out what was there and if he could improve.

I wants him to draft fields and that's been well documented in the draft thread and my final mock. He would have probably failed here as well.

I don't think Fields would have gotten hurt here. He would be used more on outside runs and his quickness would keep him more out of harms way, so I don't know if he would have failed. Trey's primary reason for failing is not being able to stay healthy. He had reps lined up and lost them due to injury. I don't think that would have happened with Fields
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Lol at it not being personal with some 🤣

I'm sure those people exist. But the problem here from a general standpoint is that it's personal for the big Trey Lance guys (not everyone who supports him). It's all emotion from this group.

Multiple people were trashing him since the day he got drafted and didn't want to see him succeed. I guess that's very rational / logical, but the fans who were rooting for the #3 pick that we invested a lot in, that's being emotional lol.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
What? What did I just post that wasn't in reality?

There has never been a top drafted QB that had so little game time experience before the team determined he was no good until now. You named low first round drafted players from decades ago. I am talking about top of the first round picks.

Every QB bust that was ever taken in the first round got substantial playing time to demonstrate they sucked. JaMarcus Russell. Ryan Leaf. Every single one.

The funny thing is, I have never once failed to acknowledge the plethora of reasons why Trey hasn't gotten more NFL experience. I'm just pointing out how unprecedented this situation truly is. What we did simply does not happen.

(Post obviously is assuming we move off Trey)

Paxton Lynch was a round 1 and he got 4 games. 2 starts one year, and 2 another. So, no, this is not unprecedented. Rare, maybe. What do you want the club to do exactly? Do we just bench our QB1 and QB2 and sabotage the team, by starting a guy we deem as at best QB3 to fulfill a certain number of games played? If you listen to coaches, they don't need to see games played. I heard a coach one time asked do you want to see this young QB start he said no. They asked why he said, cuz I see him every single day. So while the number of games is low, they have access to TL for like 3 years now. They know who he is.

Sorry. I missed the part where I said top of the first round in this post (but it was in the previous post in this exchange). I even mentioned Paxton Lynch in a previous post. He's there with Jim Druckenmiller and other low first rounders.

My entire point was simply that the way this played out (if Lance is moved on from), is something that truly never happens. That's it.
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:
If we trade Trey it's the beginning of the end.. it's not going to be long before teams watch the Dallas game and take away the screens and 5 yd passes. We can't screen our way to #6. .ijs. PURDY I'm hoping for the best but he look like s**t the Dallas game until we we went to the jimmy G play book.. run run slant. If it wasn't for and insane acrobats by kittles we would've lost

BUT Trey can't do the screen stuff or the deep stuff or the in between. He can't even run. So it is nothing.

He can run. Picked up a decent gain last week called back by penalty. He will give you cheap first downs on designed runs. He can also scramble around and make off schedule plays as he has done several times this preseason.

It's one thing to point out the total package is not good enough. It's another to pull bologna out of your nether regions.
[ Edited by 5_Golden_Rings on Aug 24, 2023 at 12:28 AM ]
Multiple people were trashing him since the day he got drafted and didn't want to see him succeed. I guess that's very rational / logical, but the fans who were rooting for the #3 pick that we invested a lot in, that's being emotional lol.

Safe to say that wasn't my observation. Clearly I'm not talking about fans simply wanting him to succeed. Summarizing it this way seems fairly disingenuous.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
If we trade Trey it's the beginning of the end.. it's not going to be long before teams watch the Dallas game and take away the screens and 5 yd passes. We can't screen our way to #6. .ijs. PURDY I'm hoping for the best but he look like s**t the Dallas game until we we went to the jimmy G play book.. run run slant. If it wasn't for and insane acrobats by kittles we would've lost

BUT Trey can't do the screen stuff or the deep stuff or the in between. He can't even run. So it is nothing.

He can run. Picked up a decent gain last week called back by penalty. He will give you cheap first downs on designed runs.

Did you hear McCoy on the subject? The guy who was a runner for a living?
I don't think Fields would have gotten hurt here. He would be used more on outside runs and his quickness would keep him more out of harms way, so I don't know if he would have failed. Trey's primary reason for failing is not being able to stay healthy. He had reps lined up and lost them due to injury. I don't think that would have happened with Fields

Fields still doesn't feel comfortable from the pocket. Even with Trey's struggles at times he is still a better pocket passer than Fields. And that's with Fields having way more games under his belt. Both NFL and College.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Safe to say that wasn't my observation. Clearly I'm not talking about fans simply wanting him to succeed. Summarizing it this way seems fairly disingenuous.

Gore is just burnt because he was a massive Trey fanboy who got it wrong about Trey and lost a bet saying Jimmy G would not be here last year. He was wrong on both counts and what is amusing is that Gore was dumping the emoji on everyone who did not agree with him about Lance and his take on Jimmy G.

Turns our it came right back at you Gore
Originally posted by TreyLanceFan:
all you haters gonna find out that trey> the white boys.. purdy can make the throws that trey can? purdy can run better? and sam darnold? he a joke, yall gonna learn real quick its a mistake to trade trey. mark my words

Broham, it's not the throws Purdy can make, it's that he makes them on time. And he CAN do off-platform, weird arm angle stuff no one else on the team can do.

As for Trey, what he has over the other two really is arm strength and a bit more upside on mobility (scrambling better than Darnold, bigger than Purdy).

Darnold got the backup job because he completes the easy stuff better. That's what it boiled down to. Being able to make a huge highlight play is less important than being able to consistently hit the short stuff on time.

EDIT:

Trey got better! He corrected his biggest weakness, which was accuracy. But he still needs time to learn how to read and react to NFL defenses. It's unfortunate he may not get that chance with the 49ers due to injury. But if he's QB3 and actually gets the scout team reps (as is often the case in the NFL), that would help him.
[ Edited by 5_Golden_Rings on Aug 24, 2023 at 12:49 AM ]

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Trey jock riders are in desperate, desperate shape now. Excuses galore. LOL.

3rd string QB after giving up that many picks. Wow.

Trey is still a 49er. What a trash attitude for someone supposedly a "fan" of the 49ers
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by boast:
Bryce Lance?

nope but i ya know trey personally and he gonan get back. f you lazy keyboard warriors, you aint got nothin, trey a millionaire. mark my words he gonna get back, bet

No one here is really rootin against the guy. lol quite the opposite, just don't want him starting here.

FYI - ask lance how Liv Cowherd was. Thanks

That's not true. About four or five dudes are actively rooting against him.

He can run. Picked up a decent gain last week called back by penalty. He will give you cheap first downs on designed runs.

Did you hear McCoy on the subject? The guy who was a runner for a living?

No need I can watch the film and see him gain yards running.
What? What did I just post that wasn't in reality?

There has never been a top drafted QB that had so little game time experience before the team determined he was no good until now. You named low first round drafted players from decades ago. I am talking about top of the first round picks.

Every QB bust that was ever taken in the first round got substantial playing time to demonstrate they sucked. JaMarcus Russell. Ryan Leaf. Every single one.

The funny thing is, I have never once failed to acknowledge the plethora of reasons why Trey hasn't gotten more NFL experience. I'm just pointing out how unprecedented this situation truly is. What we did simply does not happen.

(Post obviously is assuming we move off Trey)

Paxton Lynch was a round 1 and he got 4 games. 2 starts one year, and 2 another. So, no, this is not unprecedented. Rare, maybe. What do you want the club to do exactly? Do we just bench our QB1 and QB2 and sabotage the team, by starting a guy we deem as at best QB3 to fulfill a certain number of games played? If you listen to coaches, they don't need to see games played. I heard a coach one time asked do you want to see this young QB start he said no. They asked why he said, cuz I see him every single day. So while the number of games is low, they have access to TL for like 3 years now. They know who he is.

Sorry. I missed the part where I said top of the first round in this post (but it was in the previous post in this exchange). I even mentioned Paxton Lynch in a previous post. He's there with Jim Druckenmiller and other low first rounders.

My entire point was simply that the way this played out (if Lance is moved on from), is something that truly never happens. That's it.

And I'm saying the difference between the top of the 1st and a mid 1st or so is being a little too particular. I just don't see it as some shocking unprecedented thing. High draft pick QBs that have franchises put on their shoulders don't work out more often than not. Many don't get a ton of playing time. Lance is on the shorter end of that, but he was also more injured than most of the others, too. It's not even Lance's fault. Kid has done everything asked of him. It just hasn't happened for him and the window here was going to be narrower because of the roster talent, and then Purdy seized his opportunity from him, but what else should Purdy have done? There doesn't have to always be villains.
[ Edited by captveg on Aug 24, 2023 at 1:05 AM ]
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
all you haters gonna find out that trey> the white boys.. purdy can make the throws that trey can? purdy can run better? and sam darnold? he a joke, yall gonna learn real quick its a mistake to trade trey. mark my words

lol and I thought the Alex Smith vs Sean Hill debates were crazy. These Trey fans take it to a whole new level.

I guess some don't know the story behind that pic lol.
Share 49ersWebzone