There are 186 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Afrikan:

I guess some don't know the story behind that pic lol.

Honestly didn't quite understand your use of it in response to that post. Had to assume you think the guy is posing to make Trey Lance fans look bad.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
What? What did I just post that wasn't in reality?

There has never been a top drafted QB that had so little game time experience before the team determined he was no good until now. You named low first round drafted players from decades ago. I am talking about top of the first round picks.

Every QB bust that was ever taken in the first round got substantial playing time to demonstrate they sucked. JaMarcus Russell. Ryan Leaf. Every single one.

The funny thing is, I have never once failed to acknowledge the plethora of reasons why Trey hasn't gotten more NFL experience. I'm just pointing out how unprecedented this situation truly is. What we did simply does not happen.

(Post obviously is assuming we move off Trey)

Paxton Lynch was a round 1 and he got 4 games. 2 starts one year, and 2 another. So, no, this is not unprecedented. Rare, maybe. What do you want the club to do exactly? Do we just bench our QB1 and QB2 and sabotage the team, by starting a guy we deem as at best QB3 to fulfill a certain number of games played? If you listen to coaches, they don't need to see games played. I heard a coach one time asked do you want to see this young QB start he said no. They asked why he said, cuz I see him every single day. So while the number of games is low, they have access to TL for like 3 years now. They know who he is.

How often it happens does not really matter,

The 49ers need to win now, they really had no choice but to get a VET backup. Trey is coming off major surgery, Brock is coming off major surgery.....they had to get another QB.

Lance broke his hand in pre-season year 1, and was never right the entire season...that is his own words. He got off season surgery and came into year 2 the undisputed starter only to underwhelm the coaching staff....and to top it off...went down with a leg injury 5 qtrs into the season.

That is not on the 49ers, only so much you can do with a QB that can't throw correctly due to injury or can't stand without crutches. There is no "opportunity" to work on the physical aspect of your game if you are injured.

You would think he would be at an A++ level mentality, no one should know that playbook better then him, no one on the roster should have a better understanding of how the playbook works in coverages..... Trey has not come out in preseason and taken the job even with a massive advantage of knowing the playbook. While most of his potential turnovers have been dropped it does not take away that he is failing to protect the ball.

The dudes development has been impacted by injury....not the 49ers....not the coaching staff....

QB2's job is to work with QB1, clearly Sam has seen more in the NFL that he can share with Brock on a game to game basis. Trey has a few hundred snaps to his name as had been pointed out ad nausea on this forum. Not exactly a subject matter expert. When QB1 goes down and the bullets are flying, Sam again has been in more situations and likely has seen everything and the kitchen sink thrown at him before..... Sam is a better option to be thrust into a random game under chaotic situations.

Lance as qb3 can soak up experience running the scout team and get more acclimated as he develops.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Trey is still a 49er. What a trash attitude for someone supposedly a "fan" of the 49ers

He's been trashing Trey since day 1. Before he ever took a snap. Blames him for Jimmy not being here anymore.
Hope he balls it on Fri & gets four tds somehow lol
[ Edited by Montana on Aug 24, 2023 at 2:17 AM ]
  • gotem
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
What? What did I just post that wasn't in reality?

There has never been a top drafted QB that had so little game time experience before the team determined he was no good until now. You named low first round drafted players from decades ago. I am talking about top of the first round picks.

Every QB bust that was ever taken in the first round got substantial playing time to demonstrate they sucked. JaMarcus Russell. Ryan Leaf. Every single one.

The funny thing is, I have never once failed to acknowledge the plethora of reasons why Trey hasn't gotten more NFL experience. I'm just pointing out how unprecedented this situation truly is. What we did simply does not happen.

(Post obviously is assuming we move off Trey)

Paxton Lynch was a round 1 and he got 4 games. 2 starts one year, and 2 another. So, no, this is not unprecedented. Rare, maybe. What do you want the club to do exactly? Do we just bench our QB1 and QB2 and sabotage the team, by starting a guy we deem as at best QB3 to fulfill a certain number of games played? If you listen to coaches, they don't need to see games played. I heard a coach one time asked do you want to see this young QB start he said no. They asked why he said, cuz I see him every single day. So while the number of games is low, they have access to TL for like 3 years now. They know who he is.

How often it happens does not really matter,

The 49ers need to win now, they really had no choice but to get a VET backup. Trey is coming off major surgery, Brock is coming off major surgery.....they had to get another QB.

Lance broke his hand in pre-season year 1, and was never right the entire season...that is his own words. He got off season surgery and came into year 2 the undisputed starter only to underwhelm the coaching staff....and to top it off...went down with a leg injury 5 qtrs into the season.

That is not on the 49ers, only so much you can do with a QB that can't throw correctly due to injury or can't stand without crutches. There is no "opportunity" to work on the physical aspect of your game if you are injured.

You would think he would be at an A++ level mentality, no one should know that playbook better then him, no one on the roster should have a better understanding of how the playbook works in coverages..... Trey has not come out in preseason and taken the job even with a massive advantage of knowing the playbook. While most of his potential turnovers have been dropped it does not take away that he is failing to protect the ball.

The dudes development has been impacted by injury....not the 49ers....not the coaching staff....

QB2's job is to work with QB1, clearly Sam has seen more in the NFL that he can share with Brock on a game to game basis. Trey has a few hundred snaps to his name as had been pointed out ad nausea on this forum. Not exactly a subject matter expert. When QB1 goes down and the bullets are flying, Sam again has been in more situations and likely has seen everything and the kitchen sink thrown at him before..... Sam is a better option to be thrust into a random game under chaotic situations.

Lance as qb3 can soak up experience running the scout team and get more acclimated as he develops.

Wow a reasonable take in this thread. I want Trey to play but most of these points are valid.

If TL stays this season, I don't think TL has a future in SF unless he takes a massive paycut once he's a FA. If sf picked up the 5th year option, it's 20m!
Who the hell is Wonnum??

[ Edited by Afrikan on Aug 24, 2023 at 3:17 AM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Who the hell is Wonnum??

DJ Wonnum
[ Edited by linkboy on Aug 24, 2023 at 3:54 AM ]
I still firmly believe trading Lance is stupid because we're going to get awful value for him right now but seems like this team is hell bent to send the kid out the door.

We just better hope Brock never misses a snap unless it's in a blowout win.

And every 49ers fan should be scared sh*fless if Brock isn't our guy for 10+ years and we have to find another franchise QB cuz getting Brock was total luck.

Lance was evaluated big time, drafted 3rd overall after a major trade up and the HC who drafted him was out on him after barely 4 starts with last full one being in awful weather conditions where the whole team stunk. If you look at this whole situation and still have the same confidence in Kyle as a QB evaluator then I question your ability to think logically.

They're blaming injuries for Trey's slide but clearly I was ignoring the tea leaves because my brain didn't want to accept how awful our evaluation was of Trey and this was a sham of a competition.

Shanahan knew Brock would be QB1 and Darnold would be QB2 soon as he signed him.

This is gross to me but I'm just ready for real football and hope we don't have to worry about backup QBs this season or any season for a while.
Originally posted by genus49:
I still firmly believe trading Lance is stupid because we're going to get awful value for him right now but seems like this team is hell bent to send the kid out the door.

We just better hope Brock never misses a snap unless it's in a blowout win.

And every 49ers fan should be scared sh*fless if Brock isn't our guy for 10+ years and we have to find another franchise QB cuz getting Brock was total luck.

Lance was evaluated big time, drafted 3rd overall after a major trade up and the HC who drafted him was out on him after barely 4 starts with last full one being in awful weather conditions where the whole team stunk. If you look at this whole situation and still have the same confidence in Kyle as a QB evaluator then I question your ability to think logically.

They're blaming injuries for Trey's slide but clearly I was ignoring the tea leaves because my brain didn't want to accept how awful our evaluation was of Trey and this was a sham of a competition.

Shanahan knew Brock would be QB1 and Darnold would be QB2 soon as he signed him.

This is gross to me but I'm just ready for real football and hope we don't have to worry about backup QBs this season or any season for a while.

I don't accept the conspiracy theory.

Trey have every chance to prove himself in training camp.

I think he was very rusty coming off injury but he has had all year to get his strength back up and spend time with one on one coaching and practice since his ankle healed earlier this year.

He was terrible against the Raiders. I was willing to put that down to rust. He was much better against the Broncos but still slow to start. Remember the coaches have been closely evaluating the QBs during camp which would include their distance, accuracy, speed at reading the defense in front of them, getting the ball out on time, executing the plays properly as well as a whole lot of other things. Trey was not better on these measures compared to Darnold. Darnold and Purdy's styles are much closer than Trey and Purdy. If Purdy is out Kyle wants someone and can step in and continue running the game plan. Trey's style is too much different than Purdy's to do that.

Trey still looks green and hesitant. He should be better then that by now. Did you notice that Purdy never looked green from the time he started. Hell he beat Tom Brady last year.

I don't think they will trade Trey this season so he will get the scout team reps. He has all season to show the coaches his improvement. Who knows what could happen during this season?
Originally posted by 49ers81:
Originally posted by JTB1974:
It's the backup QB job. How many backup QB's are good? Trey was good enough to start last year but he gets hurt early in week 2 and all of a sudden is not even good enough to be a backup?

Maybe it's because he wasn't actually good enough to start last year but the team made the decision that was the only way they could find out what they had him. According to a recent comment by Kyle there seemed to be some consideration of the idea that, based on their practices, Purdy was actually better than Lance. However, Kyle said because they hadn't had a chance to see Brock transfer those practice reps to gameplay, and because of all they had invested in Trey they opted to give him the starter's spot so that he could get the reps that he so badly needly. So Lance, who was probably the third best QB on the roster last year ends up as the starter, not because he had earned it, but because it was a calculation made by the team on how they could best develop him.

I tried to find that article that quoted this… In hindsight Trey was really the third best QB last year.

I remember reading a quote from Kyle where he said if there was one season left we would have gone with Brock Purdy but Trey because of the investment in him and needing to see if he can reach his potential.
[ Edited by Shorteous on Aug 24, 2023 at 5:06 AM ]

Originally posted by Shorteous:
Originally posted by 49ers81:
Originally posted by JTB1974:
It's the backup QB job. How many backup QB's are good? Trey was good enough to start last year but he gets hurt early in week 2 and all of a sudden is not even good enough to be a backup?

Maybe it's because he wasn't actually good enough to start last year but the team made the decision that was the only way they could find out what they had him. According to a recent comment by Kyle there seemed to be some consideration of the idea that, based on their practices, Purdy was actually better than Lance. However, Kyle said because they hadn't had a chance to see Brock transfer those practice reps to gameplay, and because of all they had invested in Trey they opted to give him the starter's spot so that he could get the reps that he so badly needly. So Lance, who was probably the third best QB on the roster last year ends up as the starter, not because he had earned it, but because it was a calculation made by the team on how they could best develop him.

I tried to find that article that quoted this… In hindsight Trey was really the third best QB last year.

I remember reading a quote from Kyle where he said if there was one season left we would have gone with Brock Purdy but Trey because of the investment in him and needing to see if he can reach his potential.

If he did not break his ankle he would have been benched after a few games. He was too green. I feel sorry for him. Things would be real hard on him at the moment. His self esteem would be at its lowest.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by TreyLanceFan:
Originally posted by boast:
Bryce Lance?

nope but i ya know trey personally and he gonan get back. f you lazy keyboard warriors, you aint got nothin, trey a millionaire. mark my words he gonna get back, bet

No one here is really rootin against the guy. lol quite the opposite, just don't want him starting here.

FYI - ask lance how Liv Cowherd was. Thanks

This

Everyone here wants Trey to succeed but they also want the 9ers to succeed. We're not anti-Trey, more like anti-Trey right now because it's apparent we have better QB options atm.
IMO I think now Lance was never in the lead for the backup job. They probably started out even and it was no competition from there barring Darnold sucking.

The likelihood for Lance to be more consistent than a sixth year vet was always going to be super low. He played consistent with his level of experience and even as a big supporter, it really wasn't close who did better in the preseason. Stats without context definitely don't tell the story accurately at all.
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by TreyLanceFan:
Originally posted by boast:
Bryce Lance?

nope but i ya know trey personally and he gonan get back. f you lazy keyboard warriors, you aint got nothin, trey a millionaire. mark my words he gonna get back, bet

No one here is really rootin against the guy. lol quite the opposite, just don't want him starting here.

FYI - ask lance how Liv Cowherd was. Thanks

This

Everyone here wants Trey to succeed but they also want the 9ers to succeed. We're not anti-Trey, more like anti-Trey right now because it's apparent we have better QB options atm.

Someone is going to start typing loudly at you any minute now in CAPITAL LETTERS

It is funny all the guys crying now were attacking in the JG thread much worse than those criticizing Trey. JG was a vert good QB and is much better than Trey. JG proved himself to be a winner while Trey really did not show much because he was so green. I could see it from the get go. That didn't mean I hated him. It meant I did not think he was ready to be a starter.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by pd24:
What is your point? You were wrong. Own it until Lance proves us wrong. Lol

Wrong about what? Lance? All I ever said about him was I wanted him to have a legit chance to fail before saying he can't be good. 170 random passing attempts is far from saying he blows. That's all I ever said. I wanted him to play from day 1 so we can find out what was there and if he could improve.

I wants him to draft fields and that's been well documented in the draft thread and my final mock. He would have probably failed here as well.

I don't think Fields would have gotten hurt here. He would be used more on outside runs and his quickness would keep him more out of harms way, so I don't know if he would have failed. Trey's primary reason for failing is not being able to stay healthy. He had reps lined up and lost them due to injury. I don't think that would have happened with Fields

This i can agree with. One of the most disappointing things about trey was his lack of side to side speed. Man it was painful to watch. He just didnt come as advertised and it was apparent from day 1.
Share 49ersWebzone