There are 192 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Watching dudes on ESPN debate the same thing on Anthony Richardson right now. Let's see if the Colts handle this situation any better than the Niners did.

They are already starting out better by playing him. Just like Trey dude needs the reps. He doesn't need to sit and watch.
Originally posted by lamontb:
After absorbing the news, I don't think he's going anywhere this year. The trade value just isn't there. If Brock goes down it's a good shot that he will get time. That's the best he's got right now.

Agreed. Who knows? He might overtake Darnold at some point showing further improvement in practice. Doesn't have to be over for either party.
"49ers Have Failed Trey Lance"

Never mind that TL sucks as a QB.
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Watching dudes on ESPN debate the same thing on Anthony Richardson right now. Let's see if the Colts handle this situation any better than the Niners did.

They are already starting out better by playing him. Just like Trey dude needs the reps. He doesn't need to sit and watch.

That doesn't always work out either. Plenty of failures in history where a top pick starts right away, ends up later on another team, and the previous coach being fired.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by krizay:
I still firmly believe trading Lance is stupid because we're going to get awful value for him right now but seems like this team is hell bent to send the kid out the door.

We just better hope Brock never misses a snap unless it's in a blowout win.

And every 49ers fan should be scared sh*fless if Brock isn't our guy for 10+ years and we have to find another franchise QB cuz getting Brock was total luck.

Lance was evaluated big time, drafted 3rd overall after a major trade up and the HC who drafted him was out on him after barely 4 starts with last full one being in awful weather conditions where the whole team stunk. If you look at this whole situation and still have the same confidence in Kyle as a QB evaluator then I question your ability to think logically.

They're blaming injuries for Trey's slide but clearly I was ignoring the tea leaves because my brain didn't want to accept how awful our evaluation was of Trey and this was a sham of a competition.

Shanahan knew Brock would be QB1 and Darnold would be QB2 soon as he signed him.

This is gross to me but I'm just ready for real football and hope we don't have to worry about backup QBs this season or any season for a while.

He got beat out by a guy who was evaluated big time, drafted number 3 overall after a major trade up.

Speaking of thinking logically. Why is it OK to question Kyle after the fact. But when posters were saying it during the fact or even before the fact it was met with resistance.

I applaud Kyle for not continuing to try and force a round peg in a square

I also applaud you for finally admitting that you missed the tea leaves that posters like myself kept trying to show you. There were many of you walking around with your eyes glued the f**k shut.

I'd bet a lot of money we spent way more time and resources evaluating Trey than we did Darnold.

As for walking around with eyes glued shut that wasn't the case at all. I was just hoping this was a legit competition but it's pretty clear it wasn't. You'd be hard pressed to find one report that had Darnold ahead of Lance clearly over the whole camp and logically to me if the 55 game starter isn't clearly better than Trey then it should be a no brainer at who QB2 should be.

Basically I just need to come to terms that I have no f'ing clue what Shanahan is going to do. I just hope this move proves to be a good one. Our track record with QBs under Kyle isn't shaping up to be so great.

Brock is great but Kyle better protect the kid.

Shanahan had said Darnold started separating himself 10 days ago (I guess 11 now).
Lance crapped the bed against the Raiders. Looks like that put him behind, and he didn't do enough against the Broncos' future car salesmen.

One of the rawest projects (some have said "blue chip" and that is ridiculous) ever drafted too high in the draft has struggled to develop in an era where players have restricted coaching and development time (CBA). How anyone is surprised, I don't understand.

I have no idea how Lance's situation shakes out. Does he want to leave? Does he want to stay and continue his work to develop and prove people wrong? He does have good physical tools, just not the best know-how to use them, yet. Could this light a fire inside him to show out what some thought they saw?

We'll see what happens.

That's basically the Raiders game which would be pretty hypocritical of Kyle to use that game for the starting point considering how much he claims preseason doesn't matter.

As I said in a previous post the evaluation from that game is stupid. Trey was playing with the backup OL vs better players on Vegas. Little run playcalls and got buried for it. Darnold comes in with some good and some ugly vs car salesmen(yet somehow that only gets brought up when Trey plays well vs Denver)

it just reeks to me and given the talk of Darnold being QB1 before Brock was cleared or QB2 after it smells like this was Kyle's plan all along unless Trey showed up looking like Mahomes.
I still firmly believe trading Lance is stupid because we're going to get awful value for him right now but seems like this team is hell bent to send the kid out the door.

And every 49ers fan should be scared sh*fless if Brock isn't our guy for 10+ years and we have to find another franchise QB cuz getting Brock was total luck.

Lance was evaluated big time, drafted 3rd overall after a major trade up and the HC who drafted him was out on him after barely 4 starts with last full one being in awful weather conditions where the whole team stunk. If you look at this whole situation and still have the same confidence in Kyle as a QB evaluator then I question your ability to think logically.

They're blaming injuries for Trey's slide but clearly I was ignoring the tea leaves because my brain didn't want to accept how awful our evaluation was of Trey and this was a sham of a competition.

Shanahan knew Brock would be QB1 and Darnold would be QB2 soon as he signed him.

This is gross to me but I'm just ready for real football and hope we don't have to worry about backup QBs this season or any season for a while.

He got beat out by a guy who was evaluated big time, drafted number 3 overall after a major trade up.

Speaking of thinking logically. Why is it OK to question Kyle after the fact. But when posters were saying it during the fact or even before the fact it was met with resistance.

I also applaud you for finally admitting that you missed the tea leaves that posters like myself kept trying to show you. There were many of you walking around with your eyes glued the f**k shut.

I'd bet a lot of money we spent way more time and resources evaluating Trey than we did Darnold.

As for walking around with eyes glued shut that wasn't the case at all. I was just hoping this was a legit competition but it's pretty clear it wasn't. You'd be hard pressed to find one report that had Darnold ahead of Lance clearly over the whole camp and logically to me if the 55 game starter isn't clearly better than Trey then it should be a no brainer at who QB2 should be.

Basically I just need to come to terms that I have no f'ing clue what Shanahan is going to do. I just hope this move proves to be a good one. Our track record with QBs under Kyle isn't shaping up to be so great.

Shanahan had said Darnold started separating himself 10 days ago (I guess 11 now).
Lance crapped the bed against the Raiders. Looks like that put him behind, and he didn't do enough against the Broncos' future car salesmen.

One of the rawest projects (some have said "blue chip" and that is ridiculous) ever drafted too high in the draft has struggled to develop in an era where players have restricted coaching and development time (CBA). How anyone is surprised, I don't understand.

I have no idea how Lance's situation shakes out. Does he want to leave? Does he want to stay and continue his work to develop and prove people wrong? He does have good physical tools, just not the best know-how to use them, yet. Could this light a fire inside him to show out what some thought they saw?

We'll see what happens.

Lance isn't going to be traded. His first 4 years are guaranteed as a first round pick. No one is showing any interest in trading for him and picking up his salary and offering something nice enough in return for Head Office to let him go. So he will stay on the roster as they are not going to cut him and let him go to waivers. He will get plenty of reps on the scout team and still has time to develop there. If he puts in 100% who knows where he will be at the end of the season. He could get an opportunity to start if injury happens and he could shine. I can't believe how so many of the Trey fan boys think it is the end of the world. It is not. He can still prove himself. He just hasn't proven himself to be good enough yet. But he still has time.
Can we move this thread to nfl talk yet?

LOL patience grasshopper, will happen soon enough... lets hope the die hard truthers go with there with it

We'll see what happens.

That's basically the Raiders game which would be pretty hypocritical of Kyle to use that game for the starting point considering how much he claims preseason doesn't matter.

As I said in a previous post the evaluation from that game is stupid. Trey was playing with the backup OL vs better players on Vegas. Little run playcalls and got buried for it. Darnold comes in with some good and some ugly vs car salesmen(yet somehow that only gets brought up when Trey plays well vs Denver)

it just reeks to me and given the talk of Darnold being QB1 before Brock was cleared or QB2 after it smells like this was Kyle's plan all along unless Trey showed up looking like Mahomes.

Right, I was just lining up the "10 days ago" statement. I think the Raiders game played a part in the evaluation. And yes, Darnold played against future car salesmen, too.

Personally, I think Darnold showed out better for a backup QB job. I think Lance's struggles throwing the short per passes hurt his chances the most. He has improved, just needs to improve more. I think he will running the scout team.
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,700 for SanFranFanfrmVa.
Nobody failed Trey Lance. He wasn't ready to be a NFL QB and should've never been drafted that high. Teams overdraft these QB and then the media jumps up and down when they aren't Peyton Manning by year 2. They throw these kids to wolves when they're in no way ready to be an NFL starter.
After absorbing the news, I don't think he's going anywhere this year. The trade value just isn't there. If Brock goes down it's a good shot that he will get time. That's the best he's got right now.

Agreed. Who knows? He might overtake Darnold at some point showing further improvement in practice. Doesn't have to be over for either party.

And a few injuries to the QB position for some other teams may open the door for a Trade mid-season.
[ Edited by SlipAndSlideBosa on Aug 24, 2023 at 6:50 AM ]

Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
Can we move this thread to nfl talk yet?

LOL patience grasshopper, will happen soon enough... lets hope the die hard truthers go with there with it

Can we get a countdown?
I'm just reminded of all the years we gave Alex Smith before he finally broke through. It was 5-6 years of pure pain, but we fans knew it wasn't his fault. This situation is not Lance's fault. He should have been given the backup role and the chance to get in-game action if Purdy went down.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
You gotta stop contradicting yourself. You said numerous times it wasn't up to Kyle to develop trey. That it wasn't his job. It was treys job to develop. If you're going to argue the team didn't give him the opportunity to improve by not giving him game reps, then fine, although I don't know what else the team could have done. They handed him the starting job last year and he got injured. Did you want him starting this year as well? Just don't say he wasn't developed properly by the team.

A massive PART of developing is PLAYING, why is that so hard for people to grasp. Instead of trying it diminish what I say because you I don't like it…look at the practical understanding of improving at damn near everything in life, especially playing a sport. 👏 YOU 👏HAVE 👏 TO 👏 PLAY.

Yes a QBs job is to work on their own to improve their craft. Example working with a QB coach in the off season to work on mechanics. They all do it. Did you think lance did as much as possible there? Objectively absolutely. Study the film? Check. Learn the offense? Check.

now he needs to apply all that in LIVE reps. You move heaven and earth just to get the kid in the building, now you're over it after 170 random passing attempts? Come on man. If that was the plan then it was f**ked from the start and everyone needs to be held accountable. Not just Lance. So no he was NOT developed properly. Period.
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
"49ers Have Failed Trey Lance"

Never mind that TL sucks as a QB.

We get it you hate Trey. Water is wet and the sky is blue. Next
Originally posted by Silky:
I'm just reminded of all the years we gave Alex Smith before he finally broke through. It was 5-6 years of pure pain, but we fans knew it wasn't his fault. This situation is not Lance's fault. He should have been given the backup role and the chance to get in-game action if Purdy went down.

What? He lost the competition for the QB2 role fair and square. He doesn't deserve anything.
Share 49ersWebzone