There are 310 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Shorteous:
The raiders weren't playing starters and it was adequately, for me, documented from JT O'Sullivan that Trey turned down a lot of opportunities which also led to some of those sacks. The opportunities were there but he did not perform.

And we've seen ALL our QBs miss those same damn reads. I saw Brock do it vs Dallas twice. Missed the same reads. Jimmy missing reads in the NFCC game and countless games.

It was his first football game in 11 months…so preseason matters if he misses some reads, but doesn't matter if he plays well like in the Denver game?

Once Sam was brought in there was no real competition. That raiders game meant nothing. If he played well imo nothing would have changed. No way you try trading him based off missing a couple reads in a s**tty preseason game
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
well It happened and we can't wait to when trey is ready . Why can't you get that?

So then you agree it was a f**king horrible move from day 1. They f**ked up the process from beginning to end and people act like it was just Lance…not the whole damn organization.

dude never had a chance and yet fans will fan.

If Lance really wanted to ensure his career in the NFL he should have stayed in college longer. He clearly didnt have enough game time experience. He then gets draft by a team that is win now and is very unhappy with their existing QB situation, that being JG, thus allocating only a year to develop.

The NFL does not have the patience for a guy like TL. Maybe if you are a 1-15 team rebuilding and expectations are zero for 3 years. I am not so sure most teams are willing the develop such a raw talent at a high profile and impactful position such as QB.
Originally posted by Silky:
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Originally posted by Silky:
I'm just reminded of all the years we gave Alex Smith before he finally broke through. It was 5-6 years of pure pain, but we fans knew it wasn't his fault. This situation is not Lance's fault. He should have been given the backup role and the chance to get in-game action if Purdy went down.

What? He lost the competition for the QB2 role fair and square. He doesn't deserve anything.

I don't think it was very fair or square

Darnold is clearly much more ready to play at this point IMO. Trey is still a project after 3 years of training camp.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TD49ers:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
well It happened and we can't wait to when trey is ready . Why can't you get that?

So then you agree it was a f**king horrible move from day 1. They f**ked up the process from beginning to end and people act like it was just Lance…not the whole damn organization.

dude never had a chance and yet fans will fan.

If Lance really wanted to ensure his career in the NFL he should have stayed in college longer. He clearly didnt have enough game time experience. He then gets draft by a team that is win now and is very unhappy with their existing QB situation, that being JG, thus allocating only a year to develop.

The NFL does not have the patience for a guy like TL. Maybe if you are a 1-15 team rebuilding and expectations are zero for 3 years. I am not so sure most teams are willing the develop such a raw talent at a high profile and impactful position such as QB.

Exactly
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
A massive PART of developing is PLAYING, why is that so hard for people to grasp. Instead of trying it diminish what I say because you I don't like it…look at the practical understanding of improving at damn near everything in life, especially playing a sport. 👏 YOU 👏HAVE 👏 TO 👏 PLAY.

Yes a QBs job is to work on their own to improve their craft. Example working with a QB coach in the off season to work on mechanics. They all do it. Did you think lance did as much as possible there? Objectively absolutely. Study the film? Check. Learn the offense? Check.

now he needs to apply all that in LIVE reps. You move heaven and earth just to get the kid in the building, now you're over it after 170 random passing attempts? Come on man. If that was the plan then it was f**ked from the start and everyone needs to be held accountable. Not just Lance. So no he was NOT developed properly. Period.

He had opportunities, twice. He got injured, twice. Then Purdy came in and ripped the doors off the hinges. The training wheels project is over.

Moral of the story is to not overdraft a guy that will need years of work just to become a functional NFL QB. Let some other team take that risk.
Just an insane scenario and yet we are still SB contenders. I'm upset like Drake but I still trust Lynch and Kyle. Hopefully we get that SB this year and I will never doubt them again. It just takes one
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
A couple of events derailed Trey's career here.
(1) Injuries. The reason they drafted Trey was because Jimmy was constantly injured. The finger injury and the ankle injury really hurt Trey, according to Kyle's KNBR interview.
(2) the other event that hurt Trey's career was the emergence of Brock Purdy. He's the Real Deal according to Kyle and he's been the starting QB since Brock came back and started camp. Kyle said in the KNBR interview that this was decided even before training camp.
(3) Sam Darnold and the Kyle offensive system. Kyle's main offensive system is the short horizontal passing and heavy play action. Trey has to play fake, snap his head around, and throw the short timing throw - and he sucked at that, and sucked at the short game which is the main bread and butter play for Kyle's offense. Sam definitely did a better job than Trey in the short passing game. Brock is elite at it.

I think, for now Trey's best option is to stay with the 49ers and continue to develop as QB3. Considering the injury history of this team, he has a decent shot at getting in games this year (knock on wood). But it's not certain. The 49ers have to try and trade him because the 49ers have found their potential franchise QB in Brock. If they want a stronger QB3, they can probably draft one next year or get one in free agency. For now, Trey is the best QB3 that they have - barring Brandon Allen lighting it up in the final game. Even Brandon is better at the short passing game than Trey is, currently -- so even that is not a total guarantee that Trey as QB3 will stay on the team.

I think the KNBR interview indicates what Kyle wants to do - he wants to trade Trey before the Trade deadline at the end of October, and until then, he wants Trey to stay with the 49ers for injury insurance. That takes us to about halfway into the season before Trey is (potentially) traded and you have 8 games with Trey as QB3 insurance. If traded, I'm hoping the 49ers get a day 3 pick and possibly OLine depth.

Long term prospects for Trey - bottom line, Kyle's decided to move on from Trey. I think Trey's gotten a fair shot at being QB2 - it's been two years now for him to develop. It's unfortunate that he's had injury issues and had a totally unknown 7th round pick take his job, but this is the NFL. Trey's been gifted with some great physical talents and I feel he's going to be a good NFL QB if some other coach gives him a chance to develop. He won't develop much here, with Brock being QB1 and Sam being QB2. The main goal of Kyle is to keep the super bowl window open, and not to sacrifice that just to develop a physically talented but raw QB in Trey Lance. Long Term, Trey has to find another team that believes in him and will develop him. Steve Young said there are about 10 NFL teams out there that can do that, it's up to Trey now to find those teams and get onto that team the way Sam Darnold did with the 49ers.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by TreyDeyEeyDey:
At the end of the day I just don't think Trey is the type of QB Shanny wants/wanted. This pick never really made any sense to me for that very reason. Kyle wants a structured QB who's nimble enough to escape pressure but is also going to run the offense and plays he chooses. He doesn't want a mobile guy who might take a run instead of run his play.

Now I think Trey will become a legit pocket guy but I couldn't tell you when.

he wanted Trey to run his O and have the ability to play 11 on 11 ball if it broke down. one of the issues was that Trey turned out not to be as fast or as agile as they thought. we all saw that on the field.

That only makes it look like a worse decision on their part.

It was a mistake. They probably fell for the person and let it distract them from the truth of the issue. Because he is bright and such a likable kid, they failed to recognize just how unprepared he was to lead an NFL team. It happened to me. I expected him to beat out Sam. I know he has to be disappointed, but he's going to get more snaps on the scout team than as qb2, and he still needs the work. Hopefully he realizes this is what's best for this year and works on getting better at playing qb. If not for this team, then for his next opportunity.
The Lance debate is just so ridiculous. It's just a series of bad luck.....no more....no less.
Lance has shown flashes and I'm confident if he didn't get hurt last year he would be in a great position for us.

But....we drafted him to sit and develop. He got hurt which limited his development. Next year takes over and the team is FULLY committed to him. Plays 1 game in a monsoon then breaks his ankle first series week 2. Out of nowhere Brock Purdy comes in and plays at an insanely high level showing he might be our future and 100% our QB1 this year. With 2 injured QB's and coming off our 4 QB nightmare last year, the team insulated the QB room with a very talented backup in Darnold because we have a super bowl roster.

No non setback scenario exists where Purdy isn't our starter to begin the year.

s**t happens.....it sucks for Trey because he needs to play and I believe in his talent and mental makeup to succeed if he's on a team where he can play and develop at the same time. Fortunately or unfortunately....however you want to look at it....we have the best roster in football with a potential high level QB in Purdy. We can't let a QB go through growing pains when were trying to win a Super Bowl.

This isn't some major issue or failed process. s**t happens and our team is in a unique situation.
End of the day is what it is. I hope he gets an opportunity to play and grow somewhere else. I think we did him dirty and the process overall was horrible.

moving on it's Brock's team until it's not. Kyle doesn't love his QBs for very long

Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
You also forgot that when he was given the opportunity to start and seize the job year 1 he hurt his knee and jimmy had to come back early to start a week later.

Oh you mean scout team Lance whose play calls amounted to him running read options and qb power all game? Yeah sweet plan. Totally got him ready to be the starter lol
Originally posted by Shorteous:
The raiders weren't playing starters and it was adequately, for me, documented from JT O'Sullivan that Trey turned down a lot of opportunities which also led to some of those sacks. The opportunities were there but he did not perform.

And we've seen ALL our QBs miss those same damn reads. I saw Brock do it vs Dallas twice. Missed the same reads. Jimmy missing reads in the NFCC game and countless games.

It was his first football game in 11 months…so preseason matters if he misses some reads, but doesn't matter if he plays well like in the Denver game?

Once Sam was brought in there was no real competition. That raiders game meant nothing. If he played well imo nothing would have changed. No way you try trading him based off missing a couple reads in a s**tty preseason game

I think the preseason game is probably what's going on in prax. He doesn't see the field well. The game is going way to fast for him. He's not the 11 v 11 guy. I mean you just posted about the draft thesis of his athleticism opens up new stuff. What happens when KS sees he's not an athlete, and every designed run went completely nowhere? I have been saying for a while, it blows up the draft thesis, the entire reason we took this guy. This is the Schlareth point, he is not nearly the athlete SF thought they were getting.

Ok… it is what it is and it's not looking good for him no matter what is said here.

it's now obvious that Trey has lost their trust and they think the other 2 QBs give them the best chance to win this year.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
End of the day is what it is. I hope he gets an opportunity to play and grow somewhere else. I think we did him dirty and the process overall was horrible.

moving on it's Brock's team until it's not. Kyle doesn't love his QBs for very long

Did him dirty by drafting a QB last innthe draft, that QB showed enough to make the team. Gave Lance the starting job, took a hammer to his ankle, then took a hammer to JGs foot, then they knew the last pick of the draft would ball out.

Hell of a plan
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
You also forgot that when he was given the opportunity to start and seize the job year 1 he hurt his knee and jimmy had to come back early to start a week later.

Oh you mean scout team Lance whose play calls amounted to him running read options and qb power all game? Yeah sweet plan. Totally got him ready to be the starter lol

It worked for Brock. Maybe Lance isn't as good as the 49ers thought. He still has toils, but he isn't good.
Share 49ersWebzone