There are 291 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by TD49ers:
If Lance really wanted to ensure his career in the NFL he should have stayed in college longer. He clearly didnt have enough game time experience. He then gets draft by a team that is win now and is very unhappy with their existing QB situation, that being JG, thus allocating only a year to develop.

The NFL does not have the patience for a guy like TL. Maybe if you are a 1-15 team rebuilding and expectations are zero for 3 years. I am not so sure most teams are willing the develop such a raw talent at a high profile and impactful position such as QB.

Then why did the 9ers Insist on drafting Jim to begin with, knowing It was gonna take much patience and development for Lance to reach his full potential, something that could only be achieved by actually playing? It feels like the front office because too desperate In trying to find a replacement for the often Injured JG.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
A massive PART of developing is PLAYING, why is that so hard for people to grasp. Instead of trying it diminish what I say because you I don't like it…look at the practical understanding of improving at damn near everything in life, especially playing a sport. 👏 YOU 👏HAVE 👏 TO 👏 PLAY.

Yes a QBs job is to work on their own to improve their craft. Example working with a QB coach in the off season to work on mechanics. They all do it. Did you think lance did as much as possible there? Objectively absolutely. Study the film? Check. Learn the offense? Check.

now he needs to apply all that in LIVE reps. You move heaven and earth just to get the kid in the building, now you're over it after 170 random passing attempts? Come on man. If that was the plan then it was f**ked from the start and everyone needs to be held accountable. Not just Lance. So no he was NOT developed properly. Period.

He had opportunities, twice. He got injured, twice. Then Purdy came in and ripped the doors off the hinges. The training wheels project is over.

Moral of the story is to not overdraft a guy that will need years of work just to become a functional NFL QB. Let some other team take that risk.

Both of these are true

Wish it could work out, would love to see him stay with the team as the number 3 but this is Brock's show now
The question now, does any NFL GM want a QB who doesn't run very well, or throw very well? Other than that, he's a fine quarterback. We will see, what happens.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Shorteous:
The raiders weren't playing starters and it was adequately, for me, documented from JT O'Sullivan that Trey turned down a lot of opportunities which also led to some of those sacks. The opportunities were there but he did not perform.

And we've seen ALL our QBs miss those same damn reads. I saw Brock do it vs Dallas twice. Missed the same reads. Jimmy missing reads in the NFCC game and countless games.

It was his first football game in 11 months…so preseason matters if he misses some reads, but doesn't matter if he plays well like in the Denver game?

Once Sam was brought in there was no real competition. That raiders game meant nothing. If he played well imo nothing would have changed. No way you try trading him based off missing a couple reads in a s**tty preseason game

I think the preseason game is probably what's going on in prax. He doesn't see the field well. The game is going way to fast for him. He's not the 11 v 11 guy. I mean you just posted about the draft thesis of his athleticism opens up new stuff. What happens when KS sees he's not an athlete, and every designed run went completely nowhere? I have been saying for a while, it blows up the draft thesis, the entire reason we took this guy. This is the Schlareth point, he is not nearly the athlete SF thought they were getting.

He is a lumbering runner. Tebow was a better runner
He had opportunities, twice. He got injured, twice. Then Purdy came in and ripped the doors off the hinges. The training wheels project is over.

Moral of the story is to not overdraft a guy that will need years of work just to become a functional NFL QB. Let some other team take that risk.

Haha if you call that opportunities for the biggest trade in franchise history, more power to ya.

Meanwhile turds like Sam, Zack Wilson s**t even Josh Rosen got at least a seasons worth of starts before coming to a conclusion on them. I can name a TON of 1st rd picks that were given more opportunities than Lance before turning the page.

moral of the story is if everyone and their mother KNEW he needs to play football to develop. Then you give him next to none of that, either don't draft him in the first place (if you don't plan on giving him that) or you completely whiffed on your draft eval and should be held accountable for making the worst draft pick in NFL history. You chose which is it??
Originally posted by Sickaa:
If Lance really wanted to ensure his career in the NFL he should have stayed in college longer. He clearly didnt have enough game time experience. He then gets draft by a team that is win now and is very unhappy with their existing QB situation, that being JG, thus allocating only a year to develop.

The NFL does not have the patience for a guy like TL. Maybe if you are a 1-15 team rebuilding and expectations are zero for 3 years. I am not so sure most teams are willing the develop such a raw talent at a high profile and impactful position such as QB.

Then why did the 9ers Insist on drafting Jim to begin with, knowing It was gonna take much patience and development for Lance to reach his full potential, something that could only be achieved by actually playing? It feels like the front office because too desperate In trying to find a replacement for the often Injured JG.

The team probably thought he would be developed faster and was disappointed with the lack of progress.
And obviously the injury last year was huge. Had he played the whole year and not get injured or benched, he would have gain significant experience. With the emergence of Brock, the team can't just sit Brock and play Trey.

Haha if you call that opportunities for the biggest trade in franchise history, more power to ya.

Meanwhile turds like Sam, Zack Wilson s**t even Josh Rosen got at least a seasons worth of starts before coming to a conclusion on them. I can name a TON of 1st rd picks that were given more opportunities than Lance before turning the page.

moral of the story is if everyone and their mother KNEW he needs to play football to develop. Then you give him next to none of that, either don't draft him in the first place (if you don't plan on giving him that) or you completely whiffed on your draft eval and should be held accountable for making the worst draft pick in NFL history. You chose which is it??

Unfortunately for him Purdy happened, should they ignore that?

You sound hurt and are at this point just lashing out.
[ Edited by Shorteous on Aug 24, 2023 at 7:57 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Shorteous:
The raiders weren't playing starters and it was adequately, for me, documented from JT O'Sullivan that Trey turned down a lot of opportunities which also led to some of those sacks. The opportunities were there but he did not perform.

And we've seen ALL our QBs miss those same damn reads. I saw Brock do it vs Dallas twice. Missed the same reads. Jimmy missing reads in the NFCC game and countless games.

It was his first football game in 11 months…so preseason matters if he misses some reads, but doesn't matter if he plays well like in the Denver game?

Once Sam was brought in there was no real competition. That raiders game meant nothing. If he played well imo nothing would have changed. No way you try trading him based off missing a couple reads in a s**tty preseason game

I think the preseason game is probably what's going on in prax. He doesn't see the field well. The game is going way to fast for him. He's not the 11 v 11 guy. I mean you just posted about the draft thesis of his athleticism opens up new stuff. What happens when KS sees he's not an athlete, and every designed run went completely nowhere? I have been saying for a while, it blows up the draft thesis, the entire reason we took this guy. This is the Schlareth point, he is not nearly the athlete SF thought they were getting.

Agree.
I'm interested to see how Richardson does; he's bigger and a better athlete for sure, #4 overall but woefully inaccurate (never above 60% in college) and, if Taylor doesn't return, on a team devoid of real talent.
[ Edited by Rathof44 on Aug 24, 2023 at 7:58 AM ]
Originally posted by danarez49:
I don't understand! Kyle said he wanted someone like mahommes! Now we have two below average jimmy clones! This is f**ken trash! faithful lmao… trash

Explain how Trey is like Mahomes? He certainly doesn't play like him. Your post is what's Trash, lol. Everyone wants a Mahomes, the problem is that there's only one.

They already held themselves accountable. I've been saying this NY for a year or so. They added Griese. He gets the QB position. He played a role in us drafting Brock, among others, and he helped develop Brock. So we have already fixed the issue here. Problem solved. We are beyond where you think we are at.

Originally posted by Sickaa:

Arrogance comes to mind.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by danarez49:
I don't understand! Kyle said he wanted someone like mahommes! Now we have two below average jimmy clones! This is f**ken trash! faithful lmao… trash

Explain how Trey is like Mahomes? He certainly doesn't play like him. Your post is what's Trash, lol. Everyone wants a Mahomes, the problem is that there's only one.

Also explain how Purdy is trash, thanks.
Originally posted by Tman:
Both of these are true

Wish it could work out, would love to see him stay with the team as the number 3 but this is Brock's show now

4 random games for a guy everyone knew wasn't gonna be a rock star day 1 and needed to play to improve…is far from given "opportunities" to develop and succeed. Overall this is an unprecedented situation and the fact that the organization isn't getting push back from its fans…but instead blaming it all on a now 23 yr old kid with 170 passing attempts under his belt is pretty sad. I hope wherever he goes he gets an actual chance.
Originally posted by Goatie:
Wasn't that one of the big criticisms of JG? He couldn't stay healthy? At least JG won nearly 70% of his games. Trey won 25%

So if Lance played exactly like he did vs AZ and the Bears and the TEAM won. Then we could say he won 75% of his games lol. Qb win % is such a stupid stat to hang your hat on. Didn't they win the Seattle game?

Jimmy won that one
Has there ever been a bigger blunder for the 9ers? Maybe Trading Charles Haley? If we didn't have Purdy (Who I'm still not 100% on) this would be a catastrophic mistake not just all the picks but we're in the middle of superbowl contention
Share 49ersWebzone