There are 266 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
So much arguing in here... There's no need to go to such extremes on both ends.

"He had his chance and failed" - No... Four starts does not qualify as anything remotely close to a fair evaluation period over two seasons.

"He was better than Darnold in practice and the games" - Also no. According to Shanahan it was neck and neck and if you actually watched preseason, fair or not in terms of reps and who they played with, Sam looked better in terms of consistency and a lot less WTF plays.

I'm a huge Trey supporter but I can't honestly say he looked better. Decisions definitely weren't better, he honestly didn't even scramble better than Darnold. He didn't do anything that made me say, OK he's winning this backup job easy.

I'm not shocked at all that on top of their performance, Shanahan picked an experience vet over Trey. It makes logical sense. Only scenario it wouldn't make sense in is if Lance had balled out, and he didn't.

When Sam was brought in it was over…a guy with 50+ starts under his belt is gonna win the backup job because that's what you want in a backup…so experience/just don't f**k it up for a game. Make the easy play and nothing more. Sam's never gonna be our long-term guy. He's on the same career path as a Teddy Bridgewater. Highly paid backup.

the whole point in having Lance is to develop and have an opportunity to possibly be that guy. Not give him 4 random starts and say we've seen enough. Brock is the starter, but it's not like he some proven vet that can never be replaced while he's here. As we all know the season is long and a ton of s**t can and always does happen.

personally I'd rather keep all three for the year and do whatever after. Trading him for some late 7th rd pick to gain $6M over two yrs is stupid.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
You also forgot that when he was given the opportunity to start and seize the job year 1 he hurt his knee and jimmy had to come back early to start a week later.

Oh you mean scout team Lance whose play calls amounted to him running read options and qb power all game? Yeah sweet plan. Totally got him ready to be the starter lol

Oh good, thought you forgot he got the start and got hurt.

Yeah those were some real valuable reps.

He HaD hIS oPPortUnitIeS

The kid has had years of valuable time near or next to Kyle to convince him of his value. I'm not the biggest Kyle fan but I'll take his observations seeing the kid in the facility year in year out since getting drafted in 2021.
Originally posted by TD49ers:
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Originally posted by TD49ers:
If Lance really wanted to ensure his career in the NFL he should have stayed in college longer. He clearly didnt have enough game time experience. He then gets draft by a team that is win now and is very unhappy with their existing QB situation, that being JG, thus allocating only a year to develop.

The NFL does not have the patience for a guy like TL. Maybe if you are a 1-15 team rebuilding and expectations are zero for 3 years. I am not so sure most teams are willing the develop such a raw talent at a high profile and impactful position such as QB.

Then why did the 9ers Insist on drafting Jim to begin with, knowing It was gonna take much patience and development for Lance to reach his full potential, something that could only be achieved by actually playing? It feels like the front office because too desperate In trying to find a replacement for the often Injured JG.

The team probably thought he would be developed faster and was disappointed with the lack of progress.
And obviously the injury last year was huge. Had he played the whole year and not get injured or benched, he would have gain significant experience. With the emergence of Brock, the team can't just sit Brock and play Trey.

You can call out the injury last year as a reason but if he is not mentally ready now to even take on QB2, playing last year probably would have turned into a disaster. He has had two years to atleast mentally visualize and learn the playbook and that has not transferred onto the field. YES, reps are hugely important but since he never got them in college he is behind the eight ball right off the hammer.

I agreed. The plan was to have him play the full year last season, but I can sensed that Kyle was fustrate with Trey's lack of progress and Kyle was ready to benched him for Jimmy anytime.
  • NDSU
  • Veteran
Anyone else have a weird feeling everything is going to backfire?
Lance is gone, BP gets hurt and we really have to depend on Darnold.
Not that I think Lance was the answer, but damn we need a better #2 than Sam.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NDSU:

Sam is a great #2. Ton of ability with starting experience. Didn't go well for him in the league but he's persevered and as long as he's accepting his role he could end up thriving as a backup.
Originally posted by Rathof44:
Originally posted by Since07:
Has there ever been a bigger blunder for the 9ers? Maybe Trading Charles Haley? If we didn't have Purdy (Who I'm still not 100% on) this would be a catastrophic mistake not just all the picks but we're in the middle of superbowl contention

Catastrophic mistake, yet they are still a top 5 team. It what it is. Movin on.
Definitely would have been better with Jamar Chase, Kyle Pitts, Sewell, Slater, Surtain, or Parsons and all those picks. Oh well. Hindsight.

I think that's my issue with it, its easy to say "hindsight" but at the time we traded for #3 so we didn't know who we were going to get and picked the most raw player that hadn't played the year prior and sat him 2 years.
Feels like they traded all that and rolled a 6 sided dice hoping it'd land. Bad risky decision at the time and now it shows. We might not see the damage that trade has done because we are a top team but the damage is there who knows who we would have drafted with all those picks wasted and how it could have affected our salary cap
Originally posted by jcs:

Sam is a great #2. Ton of ability with starting experience. Didn't go well for him in the league but he's persevered and as long as he's accepting his role he could end up thriving as a backup.

+14
Only one non-FBS quarterback starting in the NFL, and he's in Vegas now. LOL. Iron sharpens iron.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Haha if you call that opportunities for the biggest trade in franchise history, more power to ya.

Meanwhile turds like Sam, Zack Wilson s**t even Josh Rosen got at least a seasons worth of starts before coming to a conclusion on them. I can name a TON of 1st rd picks that were given more opportunities than Lance before turning the page.

moral of the story is if everyone and their mother KNEW he needs to play football to develop. Then you give him next to none of that, either don't draft him in the first place (if you don't plan on giving him that) or you completely whiffed on your draft eval and should be held accountable for making the worst draft pick in NFL history. You chose which is it??

Welp the plan was to develop Lance. It wasn't a great plan but it was a plan. Then he got hurt, Purdy took over, went nuts and now there's no going back.

In the future, teams should think twice about drafting a one year starter from the FCS that is going to require several years of development. The modern NFL just does not allow for that. Guys have to be ready to go sooner rather than later. The 49ers and Lance unfortunately will be a draft cautionary tale for a long time to come.

Kyler Murray , Cam Newton , Mark Sanchez , Dwayne Haskins , Trubisky, now Lance

Mistakes happen in the draft, because it's such a crapshoot. Clearly ShanaLYnch made a big phat boo boo with Trey, draft wise, but again, they hit the jackpot with Brock. Got to see both sides of the coin to see the whole picture.
End of the day is what it is. I hope he gets an opportunity to play and grow somewhere else. I think we did him dirty and the process overall was horrible.

moving on it's Brock's team until it's not. Kyle doesn't love his QBs for very long

Yet years later he still loves Kirk. He stuck with Jimmy longer than the fan base wanted. Had he still loved Jimmy, you'd be complaining that he loves his QBs too much

The Niners are in the most unusual position I may have ever seen for a top 5 team and one that's a SB contender.

They have no proven starter. Yers I know Brock played well for 7 games but I'm talking about a 3 or 4 year et that has proven himself and taken you to the playoffs a couple times. I just don't consider 7 games a large enough sample to be completely comfortable with him. I've seen way too many QBs look good for half a season or even a full season and then struggle as the league gets more film on them.

The backups aren't proven either. Obviously Trey has had his problems and is now 3rd string. Darnold has been erratic in his 2 previous stops in the NFL and even though he's the most experienced he may be the one that's the biggest question mark. This is a unique situation for a SB contender.

So often we see teams settle the QB issue and then build around him. With the Niners they've had the team for a few years but are still trying to settle the QB situation. First it was with JG who kept getting injured and was considered capable at best. Now we're still trying to find out true franchise QB while trying to keep the roster competitive.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Aug 24, 2023 at 8:26 AM ]
Originally posted by krizay:
End of the day is what it is. I hope he gets an opportunity to play and grow somewhere else. I think we did him dirty and the process overall was horrible.

moving on it's Brock's team until it's not. Kyle doesn't love his QBs for very long

Yet years later he still loves Kirk. He stuck with Jimmy longer than the fan base wanted. Had he still loved Jimmy, you'd be complaining that he loves his QBs too much

'Kyle doesn't love his QBs for long' I think is his refrain for let's bench BP to get TL in there, course now TL isn't even the backup so not sure why the short leash narrative is still a thing lol
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Aug 24, 2023 at 8:24 AM ]
Adding a former broadcaster with zero coaching experience because their former QB coach actually left (not let go) is such a baloney take to cover up a f**king horrible situation from day 1.

so again which was it…a horrible draft evaluation by everyone OR they actually knew he needed reps to improve and end up not giving him those opportunities? It's one or the other man. This goes down as the worst draft pick in the history of the league. Lucking into mr. irrelevant doesn't cover up any of it. If they thought Brock was the man, they wouldn't have taken a DII IOL or a DT with a torn ACL over a potential starting QB.

I mean....
Originally posted by jcs:
The kid has had years of valuable time near or next to Kyle to convince him of his value. I'm not the biggest Kyle fan but I'll take his observations seeing the kid in the facility year in year out since getting drafted in 2021.

So you also take Kyle's observations on giving up 3 1sts to draft lance as well?

No I don't get that feeling at all, quite the opposite... there is a dark cloud over the 9ers right now that needs to clear out and blow away, it will soon enough, and when it does Brocky is going to break the curse that has been on the franchise for at least 10 years,
Share 49ersWebzone