There are 280 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • NDSU
  • Veteran
Originally posted by krizay:
He shouldn't have drafted a guy that he had to find a way to use at #3. He should have believed in what he saw in stead of what he didn't see or hoped to see.
Lance was a mistake for sure. But there has to be a better alternative than Sam.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Tman:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Tman:
Both of these are true

Wish it could work out, would love to see him stay with the team as the number 3 but this is Brock's show now

4 random games for a guy everyone knew wasn't gonna be a rock star day 1 and needed to play to improve…is far from given "opportunities" to develop and succeed. Overall this is an unprecedented situation and the fact that the organization isn't getting push back from its fans…but instead blaming it all on a now 23 yr old kid with 170 passing attempts under his belt is pretty sad. I hope wherever he goes he gets an actual chance.

You are 100% right

Was he given enough opportunity to develop, absolutely not but opportunity was given. Then Brock came along. I would have preferred keeping Trey over Sam, or doing like a Co-backup qb if that was ever a thing haha but I completely understand why they prefer Sam over Trey in that 2 role.

This is unprecedented, does kind of remind me of the Brady situation slightly in the late round ho-hum looking qb taking the starting job and never looking back. If it turns out like that then this would all end up being one of the best things that could happen to the franchise.

It's happened before with a 3rd round pick. It's also happened with a washed up first round BYU talent that was rebuilt. If it can happen, it can happen here.
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
Originally posted by NDSU:
Anyone else have a weird feeling everything is going to backfire?
Lance is gone, BP gets hurt and we really have to depend on Darnold.
Not that I think Lance was the answer, but damn we need a better #2 than Sam.

No I don't get that feeling at all, quite the opposite... there is a dark cloud over the 9ers right now that needs to clear out and blow away, it will soon enough, and when it does Brocky is going to break the curse that has been on the franchise for at least 10 years,

Omg. So what lance is the devil now
Originally posted by Rathof44:
Funny that people want to believe in Lance even though he showed nothing, now some are doubting Brock even though he went 8-1, went 5-1 vs playoff teams, averaged 34 ppg, and had a 107 passer rating. Strange.

Na......just cautious. He hasnt even played a full season yet. Promising but cautious.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jcs:
The kid has had years of valuable time near or next to Kyle to convince him of his value. I'm not the biggest Kyle fan but I'll take his observations seeing the kid in the facility year in year out since getting drafted in 2021.

So you also take Kyle's observations on giving up 3 1sts to draft lance as well?

One has nothing to do with the other and yes Kyle deserves criticism for wasting those draft picks on a guy with limited career passing numbers who barely started in HS/College coming off a sub division league that didn't play for an entire year his draft season.

The hope was finding a diamond in the rough from unproven talent with a top 3 pick after trading the future to get up that high...we also drafted solomon thomas #3 overall

haha so let's take a QB at 3 overall and NOT design the offense around him to be successful. I'm telling you, Allen/Watson/Mahomes/Hurts etc would have failed or not lived up to their potential here.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Come on man, do we not get the draft is a crapshoot? Walsh landed Carmazzi over Brady. That stuff happens, in the draft. Now if Walsh had Brady and Gio in the bldg for 3 years.. I think he would figure out which is which

That's an unfair comparison. We didn't trade up to the 3rd overall pick to grab Carmazzi, nor did we trade three 1s, not to mention no one wanted Brady (at least passed on him 5 times).
One has nothing to do with the other and yes Kyle deserves criticism for wasting those draft picks on a guy with limited career passing numbers who barely started in HS/College coming off a sub division league that didn't play for an entire year his draft season.

The hope was finding a diamond in the rough from unproven talent with a top 3 pick after trading the future to get up that high...we also drafted solomon thomas #3 overall

So they failed at either evaluating or failed at developing the QB the right way, which made the evaluation look wrong. As far as Lance, we have no idea if he's just awful and can never play in the league. 170 passing attempts is nothing.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Aug 24, 2023 at 8:46 AM ]
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
End of the day is what it is. I hope he gets an opportunity to play and grow somewhere else. I think we did him dirty and the process overall was horrible.

moving on it's Brock's team until it's not. Kyle doesn't love his QBs for very long

Yet years later he still loves Kirk. He stuck with Jimmy longer than the fan base wanted. Had he still loved Jimmy, you'd be complaining that he loves his QBs too much

'Kyle doesn't love his QBs for long' I think is his refrain for let's bench BP to get TL in there, course now TL isn't even the backup so not sure why the short leash narrative is still a thing lol

Posts like this one is why people get so frustrated with you. That's not what he was saying.

Agreed. Clearly not what he is saying.
  • jcs
  • Veteran

haha so let's take a QB at 3 overall and NOT design the offense around him to be successful. I'm telling you, Allen/Watson/Mahomes/Hurts etc would have failed or not lived up to their potential here.

It's the reality of our OC/HC. He's the system not his players.

Idk I would like someone other than Sam as qb2..sure seems like a lot of pressure on Brock but he is good with that, so. Lol. I am more excited about O'Connell than Sam & he's a rookie lol.
  • jcs
  • Veteran

So they failed at either evaluating or failed at developing the QB the right way, which made the evaluation look wrong. As far as Lance, we have no idea if he's just awful and can never play in the league. 170 passing attempts is nothing.

He can't stay healthy, hence why he's only had 170 passing attempts.

#1 rule in the NFL....The best ability is Availability.
The kid has had years of valuable time near or next to Kyle to convince him of his value. I'm not the biggest Kyle fan but I'll take his observations seeing the kid in the facility year in year out since getting drafted in 2021.

So you also take Kyle's observations on giving up 3 1sts to draft lance as well?

The problem with this us they didn't use those picks to draft Trey. They traded up to draft a QB period. Trey was who they ended on.

That is where I feel for Trey. We moved up with no intentions. We then decide to take Trey. Now he has high expectations placed on him because the organization was hell bent on getting a QB.

1st Darnold
Then Watson
Then Stafford
Then pulled the trigger on the dumbest trade ever.

Pretty much this. I feel for the kid. He was drafted, anointed, and discarded all without any real opportunity to play.
  • pd24
  • Veteran

It's the reality of our OC/HC. He's the system not his players.

Exactly, Kyle isn't going to fail on a system for some QB that may or may not be good. He has a great system
  • thl408

What Lynch meant by that is that they scrapped all the zone-read stuff and shoe horned Lance into a passing offense that relied on rhythm passing, something Brock showed he can do last season.
Share 49ersWebzone