There are 751 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NYniner85:

haha so let's take a QB at 3 overall and NOT design the offense around him to be successful. I'm telling you, Allen/Watson/Mahomes/Hurts etc would have failed or not lived up to their potential here.

Yeah he made incredible leaps and bounds. Oh by the way he's number 3

And what the f**k happened to "Lance ran Kyle's offense. He's best for his system"
[ Edited by JoseCortez on Aug 24, 2023 at 8:55 AM ]
if you're angry right now I'm just curious what the 49ers should have done? Are you saying Trey should be QB 1 right now?

If Trey isn't QB1 then he isn't getting much help in the area he needs most and that is game time experience.

i think the 49ers are in a lose/lose situation with some of you in regards to Trey. IMO Brock is unquestionably the #1 guy for this year anyways and now we are pissed that Trey is #3 and not #2. If he was named #2 are we still mad?

haha so let's take a QB at 3 overall and NOT design the offense around him to be successful. I'm telling you, Allen/Watson/Mahomes/Hurts etc would have failed or not lived up to their potential here.

They did that his second season and he got hurt. And a lot of fans wanted kyles head on a stick for running him.
God I just want to check out, delete my account here and on reddit and just never pay attention to Niner social media ever again, but it's hard because I'm a fan and it's hard to not be plugged into the conversation.

You all are exhausting. All sides. I'm gutted for Trey, truly. I was 100% all for Trey to be the guy, because I had full confidence, and still do, in Kyle's decision making. That said, Kyle has made the decision after these last 2 years that he isn't the guy. And that is okay, because he is with him and sees him on the practice field and in the film room and in the locker room. And he has seen enough, that Trey isn't our best option moving forward. Keyword being OUR option, because Trey could very well flourish elsewhere and that is ok because like with anything in professional life, fit matters. Fit and plans to develop a player are fluid situations that change as conditions change. The conditions for this QB situation have changed drastically since we drafted Trey and have impacted Kyle's evaluation. And I trust this evaluation, because Kyle has a track record for knowing what he is doing at his job. He has coached us to 3 NFC championships and a SB. I think he knows football, including QBs. I trust his judgement.

And it also doesn't mean that we made a massive mistake here. The draft is a crapshoot. 1st round QBs are more likely to not work out. We made a big swing, and missed but it wad a good shot. I prefer we did what we did than stay put and went with the "safe" mac jones option. And you know what? It was all part of the sequence of events that led to Brock Purdy.

Leading to my last point: Can we all just get behind Brock please? Whether or not we believed in Trey or not, we all saw with our own eyes what Brock is capable of. Lets hope for continued growth and success for the young man that has fairly won the starting job on his own merits. I don't want to see any "I told you so I was right" chest beating the moment Brock has a bad game. The same energy I am seeing from certain people celebrating that Trey is struggling. I hate that energy, and it's why I am going to try my hardest to not come back here or to 49ers reddit. I hope this is goodbye, please be good fans.

So instead of going with Brock the 49ers should continue to tailor the offense to Trey?
Originally posted by thl408:

What Lynch meant by that is that they scrapped all the zone-read stuff and shoe horned Lance into a passing offense that relied on rhythm passing, something Brock showed he can do last season.

Exactly. It is an offense designed for Brock, our QB1.
So then you agree it was a f**king horrible move from day 1. They f**ked up the process from beginning to end and people act like it was just Lance…not the whole damn organization.

dude never had a chance and yet fans will fan.

And how did you come to that conclusion? He came from a small school program, to Super Bowl caliber roster, as the rawest rookie that had ever been drafted that high in the modern era. He came in against an experienced vet who had helped the team get to the Super Bowl the previous year and who he was never going to beat out that first season. Then he hurt his finger in a pre-season game, which set him back. Then he starts against the Cardinals when Jimmy gets hurt, promptly hurts his knee, and not only loses the game but the opportunity to fulfill all of the fanboy dreams of his replacing Jimmy.

Jimmy, gets hurt again and Lance comes back against Houston, plays well and ends up perhaps saving the team's post season chances. Good for him, the future beckons. They reach the playoffs with Jimmy nursing injuries to the thumb and shoulder of his throwing arm, one of which will require offseason surgery to repair, and yet, oddly enough, the team still seems to think an injured Jimmy gives them a better chance to win than a significantly less injured Lance.

Fast forward to 2022, Lance is handed the starting job even though subsequent reporting suggests that he didn't clearly win it over Brock Purdy in training camp, and had it gifted to him, essentially because of his draft status, and the team's desire to give him the opportunity to develop. He loses against the Bears, breaks his ankle against the Seahawks and is done for the year. Jimmy comes in and does what Jimmy does, including getting hurt, which opens the door for Brock, who had apparently been denied the starting role that year simply because the team didn't have any corresponding game film on what they had seen him do in practice, and because, according to Kyle, they were hesitant to put that much weight on the shoulders of a 7th round rookie.

Now Brock has a chance to put up game film that matches what the team had already seen in practice and Lance's fate is presumably sealed. But wait, Brock gets hurt and now his availability for the opening games this year is suddenly in doubt. Lance now has the opportunity to go into OTA's and minicamp, fully healthy and unopposed to show what he can do. But then, on the first day of free agency, the team signs Sam Darnold, a notorious underachiever. The plot thickens. Purdy returns ahead of schedule so Lance and Darnold are given fairly even reps, in order to make their case for the number 2 spot. But, but, but this is unfair because Lance's lack of overall experience means he should get all of the reps, right?

First preseason game comes around and Lance pretty much sucks. But, but, but he was rusty after having not played for a year. Purdy comes in for a series the following week and does what he does. Marches the team down the field and puts them in position to score. He was coming off a major injury to his throwing arm and hadn't participated at all in OTA's and minicamps, apparently he wasn't rusty. So Lance comes in with the chance to put the Las Vegas game behind, and promptly throws an ugly interception on a screen pass but, to his credit, turns it around at the end and plays pretty well. But no, he never had a chance.

However, having said all of that, had it been my choice, I might have made him the #2 to start the year. I haven't been all that impressed by Darnold, but I can understand why the team went the way they did. Lance's story here may not be completely over. As far as I know Darnold is only here on a one-year deal, while Lance still has two years left on his contract. If he actually does have an opportunity to play against the Chargers he'll have another chance to show what he's capable of. The conclusion to his story is in his hands, it always has been. The idea that he "never had a chance" is just whining.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ers81:
So then you agree it was a f**king horrible move from day 1. They f**ked up the process from beginning to end and people act like it was just Lance…not the whole damn organization.

dude never had a chance and yet fans will fan.

And how did you come to that conclusion? He came from a small school program, to Super Bowl caliber roster, as the rawest rookie that had ever been drafted that high in the modern era. He came in against an experienced vet who had helped the team get to the Super Bowl the previous year and who he was never going to beat out that first season. Then he hurt his finger in a pre-season game, which set him back. Then he starts against the Cardinals when Jimmy gets hurt, promptly hurts his knee, and not only loses the game but the opportunity to fulfill all of the fanboy dreams of his replacing Jimmy.

Jimmy, gets hurt again and Lance comes back against Houston, plays well and ends up perhaps saving the team's post season chances. Good for him, the future beckons. They reach the playoffs with Jimmy nursing injuries to the thumb and shoulder of his throwing arm, one of which will require offseason surgery to repair, and yet, oddly enough, the team still seems to think an injured Jimmy gives them a better chance to win than a significantly less injured Lance.

Fast forward to 2022, Lance is handed the starting job even though subsequent reporting suggests that he didn't clearly win it over Brock Purdy in training camp, and had it gifted to him, essentially because of his draft status, and the team's desire to give him the opportunity to develop. He loses against the Bears, breaks his ankle against the Seahawks and is done for the year. Jimmy comes in and does what Jimmy does, including getting hurt, which opens the door for Brock, who had apparently been denied the starting role that year simply because the team didn't have any corresponding game film on what they had seen him do in practice, and because, according to Kyle, they were hesitant to put that much weight on the shoulders of a 7th round rookie.

Now Brock has a chance to put up game film that matches what the team had already seen in practice and Lance's fate is presumably sealed. But wait, Brock gets hurt and now his availability for the opening games this year is suddenly in doubt. Lance now has the opportunity to go into OTA's and minicamp, fully healthy and unopposed to show what he can do. But then, on the first day of free agency, the team signs Sam Darnold, a notorious underachiever. The plot thickens. Purdy returns ahead of schedule so Lance and Darnold are given fairly even reps, in order to make their case for the number 2 spot. But, but, but this is unfair because Lance's lack of overall experience means he should get all of the reps, right?

First preseason game comes around and Lance pretty much sucks. But, but, but he was rusty after having not played for a year. Purdy comes in for a series the following week and does what he does. Marches the team down the field and puts them in position to score. He was coming off a major injury to his throwing arm and hadn't participated at all in OTA's and minicamps, apparently he wasn't rusty. So Lance comes in with the chance to put the Las Vegas game behind, and promptly throws an ugly interception on a screen pass but, to his credit, turns it around at the end and plays pretty well. But no, he never had a chance.

However, having said all of that, had it been my choice, I might have made him the #2 to start the year. I haven't been all that impressed by Darnold, but I can understand why the team went the way they did. Lance's story here may not be completely over. As far as I know Darnold is only here on a one-year deal, while Lance still has two years left on his contract. If he actually does have an opportunity to play against the Chargers he'll have another chance to show what he's capable of. The conclusion to his story is in his hands, it always has been. The idea that he "never had a chance" is just whining.

Did not read, but damn you probably got him
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by jcs:
One has nothing to do with the other and yes Kyle deserves criticism for wasting those draft picks on a guy with limited career passing numbers who barely started in HS/College coming off a sub division league that didn't play for an entire year his draft season.

The hope was finding a diamond in the rough from unproven talent with a top 3 pick after trading the future to get up that high...we also drafted solomon thomas #3 overall

So they failed at either evaluating or failed at developing the QB the right way, which made the evaluation look wrong. As far as Lance, we have no idea if he's just awful and can never play in the league. 170 passing attempts is nothing.

He can't stay healthy, hence why he's only had 170 passing attempts.

#1 rule in the NFL....The best ability is Availability.

None of our Qbs can seem stay healthy under Kyle TBF.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
God I just want to check out, delete my account here and on reddit and just never pay attention to Niner social media ever again, but it's hard because I'm a fan and it's hard to not be plugged into the conversation.

You all are exhausting. All sides. I'm gutted for Trey, truly. I was 100% all for Trey to be the guy, because I had full confidence, and still do, in Kyle's decision making. That said, Kyle has made the decision after these last 2 years that he isn't the guy. And that is okay, because he is with him and sees him on the practice field and in the film room and in the locker room. And he has seen enough, that Trey isn't our best option moving forward. Keyword being OUR option, because Trey could very well flourish elsewhere and that is ok because like with anything in professional life, fit matters. Fit and plans to develop a player are fluid situations that change as conditions change. The conditions for this QB situation have changed drastically since we drafted Trey and have impacted Kyle's evaluation. And I trust this evaluation, because Kyle has a track record for knowing what he is doing at his job. He has coached us to 3 NFC championships and a SB. I think he knows football, including QBs. I trust his judgement.

And it also doesn't mean that we made a massive mistake here. The draft is a crapshoot. 1st round QBs are more likely to not work out. We made a big swing, and missed but it wad a good shot. I prefer we did what we did than stay put and went with the "safe" mac jones option. And you know what? It was all part of the sequence of events that led to Brock Purdy.

Leading to my last point: Can we all just get behind Brock please? Whether or not we believed in Trey or not, we all saw with our own eyes what Brock is capable of. Lets hope for continued growth and success for the young man that has fairly won the starting job on his own merits. I don't want to see any "I told you so I was right" chest beating the moment Brock has a bad game. The same energy I am seeing from certain people celebrating that Trey is struggling. I hate that energy, and it's why I am going to try my hardest to not come back here or to 49ers reddit. I hope this is goodbye, please be good fans.

See you tomorrow Y2O

Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Even if Lance succeeds else where, he has to be in the running for biggest 49er bust ever .

the high draft spot, the goods we traded to move up , and the insane amount of talent that went right after him .

Solomon Thomas vs Trey Lance

Nehemia?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:

What Lynch meant by that is that they scrapped all the zone-read stuff and shoe horned Lance into a passing offense that relied on rhythm passing, something Brock showed he can do last season.

Agree, that's the key to Kyle's offense. Got to master that if you want to play for him.
Darnold sucks. Period. He's proven it. What a failure by shanny
All this over a backup QB spot… we really are a silly bunch.
Shanny gave the key to Lance last year, with Jimmy likely hood on his way out. Shanny was all in on Lance good or bad for the year. Unfortunately Lance missed that window in life with the injury. Last year showed everyone the 49ers is a SB contender team. Maybe Lance has improved but it doesn't seemed like enough to get the key to this SB contender team. Having Darnold as competition kinda proved that out.

Does Lance stick with it or ask to be somewhere else... tough decision, but if he can take a page out of Jimmy G in 2022 and stick with it, might be a blessing in the end.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Aug 24, 2023 at 9:05 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone