There are 582 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • NDSU
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
We still talkin bout the #3 QB.....anyone else not bothered by the fact that the Kicker needs glasses and is begging Goodell to widen the goal post 50 feet more???
Well it is a QB thread.
Originally posted by thl408:
The idea that Kyle mismanaged Lance's development is something I disagree with. Year one, sit and learn the workings of the NFL. One could argue that Lance should have played as a rookie, but there is value in sitting the rookie season and getting situated with the NFL. Kyle opted for the patient approach because he felt Lance wasn't ready to handle a full load. Hindsight says just play the rookie since that year didn't end up in a SB win anyway (loss to Rams in NFCCG).

Year 2 was Lance's year to play and Kyle had an offensive plan in place that would allow Lance to learn on the fly while also getting wins for the team - good running game, playaction for explosives (easier reads, less emphasis on rhythm passing), play good defense. We saw 2022 training camp clips of Lance being used in the run game. That 2022 offense was tailored for Lance. Many good, young QBs started their career winning with the formula of leaning on the running game and defense as they grew their QB game. We saw a glimpse of this in game 2 vs SEA before Lance shattered his ankle. The offense was moving and it actually looked effective. Imagine had that been able to play out over the course of 2022.

Then the broken ankle happened and Brock took his job.

The End.

That ankle injury against Seattle really, really screwed everything up regarding Trey. I knew it the moment that injury happened and wasn't being rash at all. The dude needed reps so badly and that single accident basically put his entire development plan behind the 8 ball.
Originally posted by NDSU:
Originally posted by Method:
My argument isn't shanny didn't give trey a shot, it's - darnold freaking sucks. Shanny is making a huge mistake.
Neither Lance or Darnold should be on the team IMHO. We need a better quality #2.

Matt Ryan
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kolohe:
We still talkin bout the #3 QB.....anyone else not bothered by the fact that the Kicker needs glasses and is begging Goodell to widen the goal post 50 feet more???
Well it is a QB thread.

Just saying that thread should be blowing up. lol
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Montana:
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
God I just want to check out, delete my account here and on reddit and just never pay attention to Niner social media ever again, but it's hard because I'm a fan and it's hard to not be plugged into the conversation.

You all are exhausting. All sides. I'm gutted for Trey, truly. I was 100% all for Trey to be the guy, because I had full confidence, and still do, in Kyle's decision making. That said, Kyle has made the decision after these last 2 years that he isn't the guy. And that is okay, because he is with him and sees him on the practice field and in the film room and in the locker room. And he has seen enough, that Trey isn't our best option moving forward. Keyword being OUR option, because Trey could very well flourish elsewhere and that is ok because like with anything in professional life, fit matters. Fit and plans to develop a player are fluid situations that change as conditions change. The conditions for this QB situation have changed drastically since we drafted Trey and have impacted Kyle's evaluation. And I trust this evaluation, because Kyle has a track record for knowing what he is doing at his job. He has coached us to 3 NFC championships and a SB. I think he knows football, including QBs. I trust his judgement.

And it also doesn't mean that we made a massive mistake here. The draft is a crapshoot. 1st round QBs are more likely to not work out. We made a big swing, and missed but it wad a good shot. I prefer we did what we did than stay put and went with the "safe" mac jones option. And you know what? It was all part of the sequence of events that led to Brock Purdy.

Leading to my last point: Can we all just get behind Brock please? Whether or not we believed in Trey or not, we all saw with our own eyes what Brock is capable of. Lets hope for continued growth and success for the young man that has fairly won the starting job on his own merits. I don't want to see any "I told you so I was right" chest beating the moment Brock has a bad game. The same energy I am seeing from certain people celebrating that Trey is struggling. I hate that energy, and it's why I am going to try my hardest to not come back here or to 49ers reddit. I hope this is goodbye, please be good fans.

This too shall pass. Why leave when there is lots of celebrating to come because of all the games we will win this year with Brock & Co? Brock is gunna go full beast mode.

I must be in the minority, but I really don't see what all the fuss and drama is about in the last 24hrs.

teams have to make decisions and they made one. Move forward.

looking for a good year and getting to the superbowl bowl.
[ Edited by Crown on Aug 24, 2023 at 9:15 AM ]
Originally posted by Crown:
Originally posted by Montana:
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
God I just want to check out, delete my account here and on reddit and just never pay attention to Niner social media ever again, but it's hard because I'm a fan and it's hard to not be plugged into the conversation.

You all are exhausting. All sides. I'm gutted for Trey, truly. I was 100% all for Trey to be the guy, because I had full confidence, and still do, in Kyle's decision making. That said, Kyle has made the decision after these last 2 years that he isn't the guy. And that is okay, because he is with him and sees him on the practice field and in the film room and in the locker room. And he has seen enough, that Trey isn't our best option moving forward. Keyword being OUR option, because Trey could very well flourish elsewhere and that is ok because like with anything in professional life, fit matters. Fit and plans to develop a player are fluid situations that change as conditions change. The conditions for this QB situation have changed drastically since we drafted Trey and have impacted Kyle's evaluation. And I trust this evaluation, because Kyle has a track record for knowing what he is doing at his job. He has coached us to 3 NFC championships and a SB. I think he knows football, including QBs. I trust his judgement.

And it also doesn't mean that we made a massive mistake here. The draft is a crapshoot. 1st round QBs are more likely to not work out. We made a big swing, and missed but it wad a good shot. I prefer we did what we did than stay put and went with the "safe" mac jones option. And you know what? It was all part of the sequence of events that led to Brock Purdy.

Leading to my last point: Can we all just get behind Brock please? Whether or not we believed in Trey or not, we all saw with our own eyes what Brock is capable of. Lets hope for continued growth and success for the young man that has fairly won the starting job on his own merits. I don't want to see any "I told you so I was right" chest beating the moment Brock has a bad game. The same energy I am seeing from certain people celebrating that Trey is struggling. I hate that energy, and it's why I am going to try my hardest to not come back here or to 49ers reddit. I hope this is goodbye, please be good fans.

This too shall pass. Why leave when there is lots of celebrating to come because of all the games we will win this year with Brock & Co? Brock is gunna go full beast mode.

I must be in the minority, but I really don't see what all the fuss and drama is about in the last 24hrs.

teams have to make decisions and they made one. Move forward.

looking for a good year and getting to the superbowl bowl.

Absolutely!
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
You gotta stop contradicting yourself. You said numerous times it wasn't up to Kyle to develop trey. That it wasn't his job. It was treys job to develop. If you're going to argue the team didn't give him the opportunity to improve by not giving him game reps, then fine, although I don't know what else the team could have done. They handed him the starting job last year and he got injured. Did you want him starting this year as well? Just don't say he wasn't developed properly by the team.

A massive PART of developing is PLAYING, why is that so hard for people to grasp. Instead of trying it diminish what I say because you I don't like it…look at the practical understanding of improving at damn near everything in life, especially playing a sport. 👏 YOU 👏HAVE 👏 TO 👏 PLAY.

Yes a QBs job is to work on their own to improve their craft. Example working with a QB coach in the off season to work on mechanics. They all do it. Did you think lance did as much as possible there? Objectively absolutely. Study the film? Check. Learn the offense? Check.

now he needs to apply all that in LIVE reps. You move heaven and earth just to get the kid in the building, now you're over it after 170 random passing attempts? Come on man. If that was the plan then it was f**ked from the start and everyone needs to be held accountable. Not just Lance. So no he was NOT developed properly. Period.

I just really prefer superbowl runs over forcing a QB to start for his benefit and no one else's

I think the idea was long term benefit of the team, but they tried that and he got hurt.
Neither Lance or Darnold should be on the team IMHO. We need a better quality #2.

When discussing Sam and qb2, makes me kinda miss Jimmy G lol. But he wouldn't do qb2 well now lol. Raiders are gunna have a good year, me thinks.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
The idea that Kyle mismanaged Lance's development is something I disagree with. Year one, sit and learn the workings of the NFL. One could argue that Lance should have played as a rookie, but there is value in sitting the rookie season and getting situated with the NFL. Kyle opted for the patient approach because he felt Lance wasn't ready to handle a full load. Hindsight says just play the rookie since that year didn't end up in a SB win anyway (loss to Rams in NFCCG).

Year 2 was Lance's year to play and Kyle had an offensive plan in place that would allow Lance to learn on the fly while also getting wins for the team - good running game, playaction for explosives (easier reads, less emphasis on rhythm passing), play good defense. We saw 2022 training camp clips of Lance being used in the run game. That 2022 offense was tailored for Lance. Many good, young QBs started their career winning with the formula of leaning on the running game and defense as they grew their QB game. We saw a glimpse of this in game 2 vs SEA before Lance shattered his ankle. The offense was moving and it actually looked effective. Imagine had that been able to play out over the course of 2022.

The End.

That ankle injury against Seattle really, really screwed everything up regarding Trey. I knew it the moment that injury happened and wasn't being rash at all. The dude needed reps so badly and that single accident basically put his entire development plan behind the 8 ball.

Had Brock played at a 'solid game manager' level, I'd be willing to bet that Trey is given another chance with the 49ers this season. But Brock played at a playmaker level. None of this is Lance's fault. It's just an unfortunate situation for Lance.
A question for anyone; has TL gotten any better in his offseasons?

Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
A question for anyone; has TL gotten any better in his offseasons?

Well Duh! He threw with Mahomes!

Originally posted by miked1978:
if you're angry right now I'm just curious what the 49ers should have done? Are you saying Trey should be QB 1 right now?

If Trey isn't QB1 then he isn't getting much help in the area he needs most and that is game time experience.

i think the 49ers are in a lose/lose situation with some of you in regards to Trey. IMO Brock is unquestionably the #1 guy for this year anyways and now we are pissed that Trey is #3 and not #2. If he was named #2 are we still mad?

I was really, really excited in March 2021 when the news broke that we made the trade. But thanks to the gift of hindsight, it's pretty obvious the correct decision is to go back in time and not even make the trade at all. No QB in that draft was worth what we gave up except for Trevor Lawrence, and there was 0 chance of him getting past #1 overall.

Should've just stayed put and taken Slater (no—Parsons would NOT have been available. Dallas would've just stayed at 10 and taken him there). Idk if it would've gotten us over the hump but he's likely an upgrade over McGlinchey.

Definitely but the trade up proved they were desperate to move on from Jimmy. The 49ers were picking a QB that draft no matter what. I wanted Fields but what if Fields were here, would he have got hurt last year? Would this be the same scenario as Trey?
Had Brock played at a 'solid game manager' level, I'd be willing to bet that Trey is given another chance with the 49ers this season. But Brock played at a playmaker level. None of this is Lance's fault. It's just an unfortunate situation for Lance.

Yep, unfortunate situations happen in the NFL, hope he comes out on the other side stronger.

Bro have you looked around the league at backups? Sam and Trey are both better than most.

The End.

Fair take. I would add to your analysis that Brock has a different skill set than Trey Lance and, since he excelled last year and is the starter, the offence is tweaked to align with Brock's style of play. This meant that Lance and Darnold were competing for backup in an offence optimized for Purdy and, in this way, Darnold probably is the better choice. If Brock goes down the style of play won't change too much.

It's frustrating because when Lance is on, like at the end of the Broncos game, he looks elite. The problem is the inconsistency. Unfortunately, this is the NFL and people aren't paid just to "learn" for too long.

Given SF's history with injured QBs and Darnold being who he is, anything can happen for Trey in SF. I suspect the 49ers management won't want the drama of being asked about Trey during the season so who really knows. I'd like to keep him because he shows tremendous upside. But…..
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Aug 24, 2023 at 9:26 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone