There are 764 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
A question for anyone; has TL gotten any better in his offseasons?

Compared to himself in 2022, I would venture to say yes. Compared to a desperate Darnold probably on his last good chance to stick with the NFL, obviously no.
In my opinion, this is probably the most controversial QB2/QB3 issue in the history of the NFL. If this happens with any another NFL team whose QB1 is already locked, this wouldn't even be a news, I think.
Originally posted by 49erF90:
In my opinion, this is probably the most controversial QB2/QB3 issue in the history of the NFL. If this happens with any another NFL team whose QB1 is already locked, this wouldn't even be a news, I think.

probably
Originally posted by NYniner85:
End of the day is what it is. I hope he gets an opportunity to play and grow somewhere else. I think we did him dirty and the process overall was horrible.

moving on it's Brock's team until it's not. Kyle doesn't love his QBs for very long

We didn't injure him man, that was an act of god. He was gonna get the year to learn on the job. It's just bad circumstances.
Originally posted by Since07:
Has there ever been a bigger blunder for the 9ers? Maybe Trading Charles Haley? If we didn't have Purdy (Who I'm still not 100% on) this would be a catastrophic mistake not just all the picks but we're in the middle of superbowl contention

Uh no. The biggest blunder in 49ers history was drafting Solomon Thomas when Patrick Mahomes fell into our lap. That and passing in Brady and choosing Alex over Rodgers.
I think Trey and everyone that's a fan of Trey needs to think this through without big egos involved. Kyle wants Trey to be on this team. Trey can still develop further on this team. If he ask for a trade he would most likely be in the same position as a backup. No team will give him the key at this point.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Aug 24, 2023 at 9:41 AM ]
This whole thng is a series of bad breaks. First of all they drafted Trey knowing they still had JG for at least a year. Of course Jimmy gets hurt again and Tret does too in hus few spot appearances. He ends up missing a lot of time because of a hand injury.

Year 2 was supposed to be Trey's year. They signed JG as a backup. Trey breaks his ankle in his 2nd start and JG has to come in. Eventually he gets hurt again and Brock comes in. Nobody thought he would play as well as he did. That's why he nearly went undrafted.

If Jimmy and Trey had both stayed healthy in Trey's first year and he had a normal chance to develop, his 2nd year might have been different. Maybe he doesn't get hurt because he has a little more experience. They might not have drafted Brock if Trey hadn't gotten injured and had shown some development

All of that is conjecture but it shows how easy one event can set in motion a chain of events that have huge implications. Yes they reached and took a chance on Trey but if everything had worked the way they expected, he might be entering his 3rd season as the starter. Instead he's 3rd string and possibly not in their future at all.
  • thl408
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
The idea that Kyle mismanaged Lance's development is something I disagree with. Year one, sit and learn the workings of the NFL. One could argue that Lance should have played as a rookie, but there is value in sitting the rookie season and getting situated with the NFL. Kyle opted for the patient approach because he felt Lance wasn't ready to handle a full load. Hindsight says just play the rookie since that year didn't end up in a SB win anyway (loss to Rams in NFCCG).

Year 2 was Lance's year to play and Kyle had an offensive plan in place that would allow Lance to learn on the fly while also getting wins for the team - good running game, playaction for explosives (easier reads, less emphasis on rhythm passing), play good defense. We saw 2022 training camp clips of Lance being used in the run game. That 2022 offense was tailored for Lance. Many good, young QBs started their career winning with the formula of leaning on the running game and defense as they grew their QB game. We saw a glimpse of this in game 2 vs SEA before Lance shattered his ankle. The offense was moving and it actually looked effective. Imagine had that been able to play out over the course of 2022.

Then the broken ankle happened and Brock took his job.

The End.

That ankle injury against Seattle really, really screwed everything up regarding Trey. I knew it the moment that injury happened and wasn't being rash at all. The dude needed reps so badly and that single accident basically put his entire development plan behind the 8 ball.

Had Brock played at a 'solid game manager' level, I'd be willing to bet that Trey is given another chance with the 49ers this season. But Brock played at a playmaker level. None of this is Lance's fault. It's just an unfortunate situation for Lance.

Fair take. I would add to your analysis that Brock has a different skill set than Trey Lance and, since he excelled last year and is the starter, the offence is tweaked to align with Brock's style of play. This meant that Lance and Darnold were competing for backup in an offence optimized for Purdy and, in this way, Darnold probably is the better choice. If Brock goes down the style of play won't change too much.

It's frustrating because when Lance is on, like at the end of the Broncos game, he looks elite. The problem is the inconsistency. Unfortunately, this is the NFL and people aren't paid just to "learn" for too long.

Given SF's history with injured QBs and Darnold being who he is, anything can happen for Trey in SF. I suspect the 49ers management won't want the drama of being asked about Trey during the season so who really knows. I'd like to keep him because he shows tremendous upside. But…..

Totally agree with the bolded. It's obvious Lance isn't the mover that Fields/Lamar is, but he's still a QB that would benefit from having a running game that had an element of QB keepers, especially at this point in his career when he's still learning how to play from the pocket. Removing the QB element from the run game removes something that Lance can do right now. If this 49er team was rebuilding, let Lance struggle, learn, and get better - this team is not rebuilding. You see the glimpses of him "getting it" on some dropbacks, so that, coupled with his dedication to improving, will earn him a chance with another team.

Anyone who can't see he's throwing better than he ever has should turn in their football card. He's dramatically improved his passing. The problem is that moves him all the way to "Standard rookie who needs lots of reps and mistakes to learn how to beat NFL defenses," with the exception that he knows the offense. That'd be fine if we weren't a contender and didn't have Brock. But both are true, which means if Trey is going to improve his next major weakness here it will have to be with scout team reps—assuming he gets any.
[ Edited by 5_Golden_Rings on Aug 24, 2023 at 9:44 AM ]
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
The idea that Kyle mismanaged Lance's development is something I disagree with. Year one, sit and learn the workings of the NFL. One could argue that Lance should have played as a rookie, but there is value in sitting the rookie season and getting situated with the NFL. Kyle opted for the patient approach because he felt Lance wasn't ready to handle a full load. Hindsight says just play the rookie since that year didn't end up in a SB win anyway (loss to Rams in NFCCG).

Year 2 was Lance's year to play and Kyle had an offensive plan in place that would allow Lance to learn on the fly while also getting wins for the team - good running game, playaction for explosives (easier reads, less emphasis on rhythm passing), play good defense. We saw 2022 training camp clips of Lance being used in the run game. That 2022 offense was tailored for Lance. Many good, young QBs started their career winning with the formula of leaning on the running game and defense as they grew their QB game. We saw a glimpse of this in game 2 vs SEA before Lance shattered his ankle. The offense was moving and it actually looked effective. Imagine had that been able to play out over the course of 2022.

The End.

That ankle injury against Seattle really, really screwed everything up regarding Trey. I knew it the moment that injury happened and wasn't being rash at all. The dude needed reps so badly and that single accident basically put his entire development plan behind the 8 ball.

Had Brock played at a 'solid game manager' level, I'd be willing to bet that Trey is given another chance with the 49ers this season. But Brock played at a playmaker level. None of this is Lance's fault. It's just an unfortunate situation for Lance.

Fair take. I would add to your analysis that Brock has a different skill set than Trey Lance and, since he excelled last year and is the starter, the offence is tweaked to align with Brock's style of play. This meant that Lance and Darnold were competing for backup in an offence optimized for Purdy and, in this way, Darnold probably is the better choice. If Brock goes down the style of play won't change too much.

It's frustrating because when Lance is on, like at the end of the Broncos game, he looks elite. The problem is the inconsistency. Unfortunately, this is the NFL and people aren't paid just to "learn" for too long.

Given SF's history with injured QBs and Darnold being who he is, anything can happen for Trey in SF. I suspect the 49ers management won't want the drama of being asked about Trey during the season so who really knows. I'd like to keep him because he shows tremendous upside. But…..

Totally agree with the bolded. It's obvious Lance isn't the mover that Fields/Lamar is, but he's still a QB that would benefit from having a running game that had an element of QB keepers, especially at this point in his career when he's still learning how to play from the pocket. Removing the QB element from the run game removes something that Lance can do right now. If this 49er team was rebuilding, let Lance struggle, learn, and get better - this team is not rebuilding. You see the glimpses of him "getting it" on some dropbacks, so that, coupled with his dedication to improving, will earn him a chance with another team.

This is correct. The shame is that he's gotten better at throwing. It's too bad he's a Jimmy G clone with the injury tendency.

The End.

I agree

Cowerd also mentioned that the 9ers realized very quickly that Trey was the athletic talent they thought he would be. Per his source in the building.

The End.

I agree with your assessment

Cowerd also mentioned that the 9ers realized very quickly that Trey was the athletic talent they thought he would be. Per his source in the buildingu
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Has there ever been a bigger blunder for the 9ers? Maybe Trading Charles Haley? If we didn't have Purdy (Who I'm still not 100% on) this would be a catastrophic mistake not just all the picks but we're in the middle of superbowl contention

Uh no. The biggest blunder in 49ers history was drafting Solomon Thomas when Patrick Mahomes fell into our lap. That and passing in Brady and choosing Alex over Rodgers.

No. A lot of teams passed on Mahomes. And nobody thought he was going to be anywhere near as good as he turned out to be.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:

The biggest was Alex over Rodgers - home town guy with stand out pro skills. Still not sure how he wasn't drafted by the niners, with the niners in the ultimate draft position as well.

The Solomon Thomas over Mahomes is the ultimate MMQB statement. Every draft board had it that way. Mahomes was considered risky and was (at best) a fringe top 5 pick. This is like when the media comments on how one of the niners' picks was used by Miami on Waddle... again, who knows what pick would've made sense for the niners.

That said, how amazing would it have been to have Mahomes.

Lol
Share 49ersWebzone