There are 250 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Could they be in need to trade Lance to sign Bosa?
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

Not in need.. but if we don't have a real plan to have TL play regular season football, why not help our cap a bit?

Nah. Bosas hit this year will be less that it currently is whenever he signs.
  • thl408
Originally posted by TreyDeyEeyDey:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
We don't need a robot. We need a QB who can make the correct read based on the coverage and throw with enough accuracy to maximize YAC. Kyle doesn't have an issue with QB's extending plays. He has an issue with QB's leaving the pocket early because they lack the ability to process the field at an elite level.

Disagree. Zero chance kyle would allow guys like Hurts, Allen or Mahomes be who they are. He clearly wasn't gonna change his offense at all to suit the guy they invested the future in. That's for damn sure. Lynch said it himself.

people get all upset that we didn't draft so and so….ultimately those guys wouldn't have been who they are if they came here. Allen probably gets 100 passing attempts then we play Nick Mullens or some s**t. Mahomes and his unorthodox mechanics and play would have been beaten to death out of him. Bill O'Brien had to change his offense completely for Watson. Hurts would have been turned into a RB or some s**t.

Face it kyle wants who he wants. There's a reason why he didn't even look at Watson/Mahomes/Allen and had a boner over Kirk. Dude turned Brady away. I'll bet money he didn't want the QB to have all the power like Tom always did…Those special talent players don't always play within the system and that's a problem here.

NY, take a step back and look at how the 2022 season started. Lance was integrated into the run game because that is who he was coming out of college. Out of the box, he was a QB that could add a QB element to the run game and Kyle designed his 2022 offense around that. There were many clips of this in 2022 training camp. We saw a triple option play with Deebo and a RB in the backfield. Kyle designed an offense around Lance.

Ask why was Lance being used so much in the running game. It's because his passing game was subpar and he needed to use his legs to supplement the offense. To me, him being used so much in the running game in 2022 was because this was not a rebuilding team - it was a team that expected wins. So running Lance was a way to win games because it was something Lance could do right out of the box. He made the run game more effective.

The other side of the coin is that if the team was in a rebuilding mode, then call a bunch of dropbacks, less running plays, and give Lance more reps in the dropback passing game. If he goes '3 & out' because that's an area of his game that is lacking, who cares, it's valuable learning reps on a rebuilding team. It wasn't a rebuilding team.

This is on the FO for drafting him then imo. If we had to run him because he was so bad at the pass, he never should've been drafted with the capital we gave up.

I think Kyle knew exactly what he was getting when he drafted Lance. He knew that Lance's rhythm passing game required development, but that there was a short term plan to win games while having Lance learn on the fly, and that plan was to have a dynamite running game with Lance being used to enhance that running game. Lance's big arm would allow for schemed up explosives. Coupled with the good defense, that was the winning formula entering 2022. imo.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Not in need.. but if we don't have a real plan to have TL play regular season football, why not help our cap a bit?

We are gonna follow the same play book we used for trading Jimmy G. Announce to the world we are looking to trade him. When no one calls we say we will gladly have him on our roster. It worked so well the first time.
We don't need a robot. We need a QB who can make the correct read based on the coverage and throw with enough accuracy to maximize YAC. Kyle doesn't have an issue with QB's extending plays. He has an issue with QB's leaving the pocket early because they lack the ability to process the field at an elite level.

Disagree. Zero chance kyle would allow guys like Hurts, Allen or Mahomes be who they are. He clearly wasn't gonna change his offense at all to suit the guy they invested the future in. That's for damn sure. Lynch said it himself.

people get all upset that we didn't draft so and so….ultimately those guys wouldn't have been who they are if they came here. Allen probably gets 100 passing attempts then we play Nick Mullens or some s**t. Mahomes and his unorthodox mechanics and play would have been beaten to death out of him. Bill O'Brien had to change his offense completely for Watson. Hurts would have been turned into a RB or some s**t.

Face it kyle wants who he wants. There's a reason why he didn't even look at Watson/Mahomes/Allen and had a boner over Kirk. Dude turned Brady away. I'll bet money he didn't want the QB to have all the power like Tom always did…Those special talent players don't always play within the system and that's a problem here.

I did not disagree with your entire post. I just disagreed that "Kyle wants a robot" statement. Mahomes admitted in his 3rd year that he didn't even know how to read defenses. Watson, Allen and Hurts were a lot like Trey early on. Leaving the pocket early, relying heavily on their legs and playing too much outside the structure of the designed passing concepts. None of those 3 QB's were drafted to teams that were in win now mode. So they could afford to be patient and allow them to develop properly. As far as Mahomes? In hindsight, he is a special player and on a level all of his own. Back in 2017, 49ers could have shown a lot more patience in developing a QB like Lance, Hurts, Allen or Mahomes because they were in a rebuild period. John and Kyle made a huge mistake moving up and taking Trey and just may have gotten lucky having Brock fall into their lap. Now that is not a knock on Trey. Unfortunately for him, he was drafted into the wrong situation simply because of the expectations surrounding this team.
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Originally posted by tankle104:
I think the team holds onto him instead of taking a low draft pick. I don't think they'll let him go for anything less than a second round pick. Make a conditional third. Whether they get that or not is a different story but I think they'll hold onto him otherwise.

they may be hoping he balls out this last preseason game?

2nd round pick?
you owe me a keyboard, tank

You forget who our gm Is? I don't see Lynch trading Lance for anything less than a 3rd tbh.

Dude, this if it happens is gonna be a pick swap, probably late round.. this is not a payday for us. You don't hit the jackpot, on a QB3. Question is if TL is QB3 going into 2024, his walk year, why are we holding? Does just holding him as QB3 until he walks and paying all that cap benefit the team?

That's exactly why I don't see him being traded. There's nothing to be gained from basically giving him away. I don't see it happening anytime soon.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Nah. Bosas hit this year will be less that it currently is whenever he signs.

That's right! I forgot about that. Middle age kickin my butt a little there,
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Schefter said the 49ers are looking to put Trey up for adoption to a good home. Lol

NY, take a step back and look at how the 2022 season started. Lance was integrated into the run game because that is who he was coming out of college. Out of the box, he was a QB that could add a QB element to the run game and Kyle designed his 2022 offense around that. There were many clips of this in 2022 training camp. We saw a triple option play with Deebo and a RB in the backfield. Kyle designed an offense around Lance.

Ask why was Lance being used so much in the running game. It's because his passing game was subpar and he needed to use his legs to supplement the offense. To me, him being used so much in the running game in 2022 was because this was not a rebuilding team - it was a team that expected wins. So running Lance was a way to win games because it was something Lance could do right out of the box. He made the run game more effective.

The other side of the coin is that if the team was in a rebuilding mode, then call a bunch of dropbacks, less running plays, and give Lance more reps in the dropback passing game. If he goes '3 & out' because that's an area of his game that is lacking, who cares, it's valuable learning reps on a rebuilding team. It wasn't a rebuilding team.

This is on the FO for drafting him then imo. If we had to run him because he was so bad at the pass, he never should've been drafted with the capital we gave up.

I think Kyle knew exactly what he was getting when he drafted Lance. He knew that Lance's rhythm passing game required development, but that there was a short term plan to win games while having Lance learn on the fly, and that plan was to have a dynamite running game with Lance being used to enhance that running game. Lance's big arm would allow for schemed up explosives. Coupled with the good defense, that was the winning formula entering 2022. imo.

Except apparently when they got him in the building, at least according cowherd, they realized very early he wasn't they athlete they thought he'd be.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Man these Trey guys are really hurting and looking for excuses. A special talent guy. Yeah the 3rd string QB. He's so talented. It's just the system holding him back. I told you Trey can't play. Thank goodness we landed Brock Purdy to get us out of this bust disaster. He's not even that fast like Fields.

And here's the opposite end of the spectrum

Truth is truth. In this case tough to handle for some on the WZ who were deeply emotionally invested in this guy.

Sounds like you're describing yourself with Jimmy.

Jimmy G will still be winning games long after Trey is out of the league. Which is likely to be soon. Jimmy is not that bad. Just injured a lot.

Calling some emotionally invested yet it was you and one other poster celebrating after Trey's injury. It's clear you're projecting that's all.
Originally posted by Sickaa:
That's exactly why I don't see him being traded. There's nothing to be gained from basically giving him away. I don't see it happening anytime soon.

You gain cap. You keep B Allen. You eliminate a distraction of the everyday what is going on with TL, which goes thru the entire locker room, and you have last years QB1 in the QB room as QB3, that's a lil awkward, no? I see zero gain by keeping, just us eating more of a cap hit. There are actual gains from trading out. We get a pick as well, or pick swap. I just don't envision Lance on the field for us, and if he is I don't see him doing very well.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Shorteous:

Except apparently when they got him in the building, at least according cowherd, they realized very early he wasn't they athlete they thought he'd be.

But he's still effective enough to play that 11v11 style that Kyle wanted in the run game. It's a shame we only saw about a quarter of it, but that SEA game where Lance got injured showed that it would work. Sure, Lance won't rip off 15+ yarders, but he's athletic enough to force run defenses to honor the QB keeper.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
We are gonna follow the same play book we used for trading Jimmy G. Announce to the world we are looking to trade him. When no one calls we say we will gladly have him on our roster. It worked so well the first time.

Difference here is we will take the bag of half eaten chips. On JG we were right to say no. He actually stepped on the field and played well in 2022. I doubt TL is gonna step on the field, or play well if he does. His contract is really close to up anyway. If he's QB3 this year, then he enters a walk year.
Originally posted by pd24:
Schefter said the 49ers are looking to put Trey up for adoption to a good home. Lol

He can't beat out Darnold there 0 reason to keep him. Byeeeeee
Share 49ersWebzone