There are 340 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
I think it's clear. The stupid reporters and beat writers and idiots at training camp who know nothing about football just see completions and stats and don't know what Shanahan is looking for in a qb. All posters here saying Lance had a great camp have no idea what Shanahan was specifically looking for.

Shanahan didn't like the way Lance ran his system. Plain and simple. Shanahan loves his system and wants a guy to run it. He is looking at progressions, timing etc. Hes not looking at stats. Hes not lookong at a play breaking down and improvisation in training camp. Hes looking at whether trey could run his basic offense. He couldnt.

trey was a bad fit from the start.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
He had opportunities, twice. He got injured, twice. Then Purdy came in and ripped the doors off the hinges. The training wheels project is over.

Moral of the story is to not overdraft a guy that will need years of work just to become a functional NFL QB. Let some other team take that risk.

Haha if you call that opportunities for the biggest trade in franchise history, more power to ya.

Meanwhile turds like Sam, Zack Wilson s**t even Josh Rosen got at least a seasons worth of starts before coming to a conclusion on them. I can name a TON of 1st rd picks that were given more opportunities than Lance before turning the page.

moral of the story is if everyone and their mother KNEW he needs to play football to develop. Then you give him next to none of that, either don't draft him in the first place (if you don't plan on giving him that) or you completely whiffed on your draft eval and should be held accountable for making the worst draft pick in NFL history. You chose which is it??

They misjudged how far from ready he was. It's not complicated. Those other turds were not on contenders, and Trey definitely wasn't ready to lead a contender. It was a f**k up in evaluation. I think they liked the kid on a personal level and messed up by letting that affect their judgement on if he was a legit high round prospect. If you think about it logically, why the hell would you draft a guy with so little experience so high in the first place if you need a qb right away? He was never going to be ready within a year, and injuries held him back even longer. He is far from the worst draft pick in NFL history, lol. There have been plenty of first round picks that sucked worse than him. That Bama linebacker we drafted high, then cut, was a bigger bust than Trey. Ditka trading an entire draft for a known pothead was way worse. Don't be so melodramatic. Teams miss on picks like this and it usually hurts the team a lot more than pissy fans and national media catching the vapors. They are lucky that they have a team that is highly competitive, this whiff, if it turns out to be a full on whiff, isn't as big a deal as the drama queens on national media are trying to play it out as.

Right on, in my opinion.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Yeah I didn't see anything wrong with his accuracy at all in these two games.

His accuracy when he was set looked better for sure. On the move it still looked a bit spotty, although he only had a handful of those and half were still good to very good. Those are tougher throws generally.

Accuracy was far from his only issue unfortunately.

What was the all the other stuff? Oh he couldn't read every play correctly? Shocking for a kid that has 450 passing attempts from 2019 to 2023. Still wasn't lost at all and made plays the more the games went on.

this team and fan base did no favors for him. Overall typical and shameful imo.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
I think it's clear. The stupid reporters and beat writers and idiots at training camp who know nothing about football just see completions and stats and don't know what Shanahan is looking for in a qb. All posters here saying Lance had a great camp have no idea what Shanahan was specifically looking for.

Shanahan didn't like the way Lance ran his system. Plain and simple. Shanahan loves his system and wants a guy to run it. He is looking at progressions, timing etc. Hes not looking at stats. Hes not lookong at a play breaking down and improvisation in training camp. Hes looking at whether trey could run his basic offense. He couldnt.

It's also a misrepresentation of what was said at least in this context: Multiple posters here have said that Trey was outperforming Sam through camp according to all media present, or a consensus of that group… which is simply not true. They were not all saying this and some flat out said Sam was ahead.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Aug 24, 2023 at 12:54 PM ]

Or maybe Trey choked under the pressure. Based on what Steve said, I find that more likely.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
The truth is you thought he could never be accurate. He proved you wrong and now is as accurate as the rest of the guys.

He just needs more time than the 49ers can afford to give him, because throwing wasn't the only place he was behind.

When did this happen?

we should send this as a memo to all clubs, he's just as accurate as the rest of the guys, and here are the preseason box scores, see what happens..

This off-season. Every one who watched the games who isn't blind or stupid can CLEARLY AND OBVIOUSLY see he has dramatically improved his accuracy. He was not missing passes consistently in these games. He was missing READS consistently. You do understand that a pass and a read are not the same thing, right?

Who are the rest of the guys you are referring to? Would BP be in that group?

All our QBs on average. Brock is not great because he has unusual accuracy. He's great because he has unusual processing.

EDIT: Daniel Jones was the most on target passer in the league last year per PFR at 71%. Was he that good? There is more to quarterbacking than throwing. Purdy has all that stuff in spades. Lance didn't even have the throwing until this year.

Wow! Could not disagree more. Brock last year was dotting ppl. It was insane. Not just completions, but exactly where the ball needed to be. I could put a soda can on my head and trust him to knock it off. I would imagine Lance would be hitting me in the face.
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
I am biased against TL's talent, nothing wrong with that, and it turns out my bias was right all along.

At least you admit you couldn't be objective. That's a start.

actually I was objective, I wanted Justin Fields but when they picked TL I decided to have an open mind... the more I saw of TL in the preseason in his first season I knew he wasn't an NFL caliber QB

It's also a misrepresentation of what was said at least in this context: Multiple posters here have said that Trey was outperforming Sam through camp according to all media present, or a consensus of that group… which is simply not true. They were not all saying this and some flat out said Sam was ahead.

The camp battle is largely irrelevant, since the outcome was predetermined.
What was the all the other stuff? Oh he couldn't read every play correctly? Shocking for a kid that has 450 passing attempts from 2019 to 2023. Still wasn't lost at all and made plays the more the games went on.

this team and fan base did no favors for him. Overall typical and shameful imo.

That's probably the biggest factor.

Shouldn't have drafted a player this raw with our team situation and definitely shouldn't force him in because they did end up taking him. That's just making a mistake worse. Glad they recognize that because the team is priority #1.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Who do you think would want Trey right now? There's no stopping the bleeding. That market done bled out already. It's as low as it can get. They can't cut Trey either, so I think he's actually being 100% honest.

He pretty much flat out said, "we'd trade him if we could, but I doubt anyone would take him right now" lol. How is that gonna help his market?

His best trade value was always this past April. It was never going to improve the way some thought it would.

Originally posted by 49ersRing:

Source? Or did you make that up?

Smokey, weren't you arguing for this anyway? That the signing of Darnold was a sign they moved on completely?

If that's the case, the only time they committed to Trey was a season in which he finished 1 game. It's truly unprecedented what has happened.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
They misjudged how far from ready he was. It's not complicated. Those other turds were not on contenders, and Trey definitely wasn't ready to lead a contender. It was a f**k up in evaluation. I think they liked the kid on a personal level and messed up by letting that affect their judgement on if he was a legit high round prospect. If you think about it logically, why the hell would you draft a guy with so little experience so high in the first place if you need a qb right away? He was never going to be ready within a year, and injuries held him back even longer. He is far from the worst draft pick in NFL history, lol. There have been plenty of first round picks that sucked worse than him. That Bama linebacker we drafted high, then cut, was a bigger bust than Trey. Ditka trading an entire draft for a known pothead was way worse. Don't be so melodramatic. Teams miss on picks like this and it usually hurts the team a lot more than pissy fans and national media catching the vapors. They are lucky that they have a team that is highly competitive, this whiff, if it turns out to be a full on whiff, isn't as big a deal as the drama queens on national media are trying to play it out as.

Who gives a f**k if they're contenders or not? You draft a QB top 3 overall you play them. This team was clearly doing just fine with avg to below avg QB play for years. they thought they were doing SO GREAT that they had no problem throwing 3 1sts in the trash to get him in the building….imagine drafting 3 players in the 1st and saying nah they don't need to play because "we're trying to win a SB" lol GTFO with that. They could have moved Jimmy that year or simply cut him and saved $25M! That could have went to all kinds of things to improve the roster.

People living in the upside down….everyone says Sam or Lawrence played on bad teams THATS why they stunk! Yet we couldn't play a rookie QB because he's on a good team lol. s**t doesn't make sense.

That's the newest conspiracy theory from the Trey crowd. It's possible that's true, but reports from camp were mixed and Sam outplayed Trey in the two preseason games if you know anything at all about QBing and what would be expected of a backup: mainly consistency and basic execution. There's no real reason to believe that Trey outplayed Sam from a fan's perspective who didn't attend camp other than reports from biased content creators. The credible people were mixed, and we saw the two games.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Smokey, weren't you arguing for this anyway? That the signing of Darnold was a sign they moved on completely?

If that's the case, the only time they committed to Trey was a season in which he finished 1 game. It's truly unprecedented what has happened.

Bingo!

BuT hE HaD HIs OPportUnitIeS
Share 49ersWebzone