Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
The truth is you thought he could never be accurate. He proved you wrong and now is as accurate as the rest of the guys.

He just needs more time than the 49ers can afford to give him, because throwing wasn't the only place he was behind.

When did this happen?

we should send this as a memo to all clubs, he's just as accurate as the rest of the guys, and here are the preseason box scores, see what happens..

This off-season. Every one who watched the games who isn't blind or stupid can CLEARLY AND OBVIOUSLY see he has dramatically improved his accuracy. He was not missing passes consistently in these games. He was missing READS consistently. You do understand that a pass and a read are not the same thing, right?

Who are the rest of the guys you are referring to? Would BP be in that group?

All our QBs on average. Brock is not great because he has unusual accuracy. He's great because he has unusual processing.

EDIT: Daniel Jones was the most on target passer in the league last year per PFR at 71%. Was he that good? There is more to quarterbacking than throwing. Purdy has all that stuff in spades. Lance didn't even have the throwing until this year.

Wow! Could not disagree more. Brock last year was dotting ppl. It was insane. Not just completions, but exactly where the ball needed to be. I could put a soda can on my head and trust him to knock it off. I would imagine Lance would be hitting me in the face.

He was also short on passes that went for touchdowns, such as the double move pump pass to Aiyuk against the Bucs. He was deadly accurate in medium range passes over the middle of the field. His accuracy dropped on deeper passes and outside passes beyond the flats.
[ Edited by 5_Golden_Rings on Aug 24, 2023 at 1:02 PM ]
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Smokey, weren't you arguing for this anyway? That the signing of Darnold was a sign they moved on completely?

If that's the case, the only time they committed to Trey was a season in which he finished 1 game. It's truly unprecedented what has happened.

I argued they weren't confident in Trey's ability to be QB2, but they would get a look at Trey to see how much he improved. It would be a competition. Sam was insurance, and Trey didn't improve enough. No real surprises considering Trey needs real PT.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
It's also a misrepresentation of what was said at least in this context: Multiple posters here have said that Trey was outperforming Sam through camp according to all media present, or a consensus of that group… which is simply not true. They were not all saying this and some flat out said Sam was ahead.

People are naive if they think this was an actual QB competition. Kyle has had a love affair with Darnold since he was drafted. Trey could have played lights out and Kyle would have had Darnold as QB2. The decision was made when he signed Darnold.
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Who do you think would want Trey right now? There's no stopping the bleeding. That market done bled out already. It's as low as it can get. They can't cut Trey either, so I think he's actually being 100% honest.

He pretty much flat out said, "we'd trade him if we could, but I doubt anyone would take him right now" lol. How is that gonna help his market?

His best trade value was always this past April. It was never going to improve the way some thought it would.

bingo! I knew the more TL played this preseason the lower his trade value would be, Lynch missed the trade window... and everyone here got a good laugh when I predicted this

can we all forget about this and be friends now Lol
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
They misjudged how far from ready he was. It's not complicated. Those other turds were not on contenders, and Trey definitely wasn't ready to lead a contender. It was a f**k up in evaluation. I think they liked the kid on a personal level and messed up by letting that affect their judgement on if he was a legit high round prospect. If you think about it logically, why the hell would you draft a guy with so little experience so high in the first place if you need a qb right away? He was never going to be ready within a year, and injuries held him back even longer. He is far from the worst draft pick in NFL history, lol. There have been plenty of first round picks that sucked worse than him. That Bama linebacker we drafted high, then cut, was a bigger bust than Trey. Ditka trading an entire draft for a known pothead was way worse. Don't be so melodramatic. Teams miss on picks like this and it usually hurts the team a lot more than pissy fans and national media catching the vapors. They are lucky that they have a team that is highly competitive, this whiff, if it turns out to be a full on whiff, isn't as big a deal as the drama queens on national media are trying to play it out as.

You have no way of knowing this, but based on their experience vs yours, I disagree. They knew he needed development, and the plan was ALWAYS to develop him in one of the best situations a QB could ask for. The plan changed when Purdy crushed it, so if they misjudged anyone, it was Brock.
[ Edited by SLCNiner on Aug 24, 2023 at 1:02 PM ]
Originally posted by JTB1974:
People are naive if they think this was an actual QB competition. Kyle has had a love affair with Darnold since he was drafted. Trey could have played lights out and Kyle would have had Darnold as QB2. The decision was made when he signed Darnold.

Where were you with this point back in March, lol.

You guys are so emotional you can't stop to see the obvious events here and will twist developments to fit what makes you feel better.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
The camp battle is largely irrelevant, since the outcome was predetermined.

That's the newest conspiracy theory from the Trey crowd. It's possible that's true, but reports from camp were mixed and Sam outplayed Trey in the two preseason games if you know anything at all about QBing and what would be expected of a backup: mainly consistency and basic execution. There's no real reason to believe that Trey outplayed Sam from a fan's perspective who didn't attend camp other than reports from biased content creators. The credible people were mixed, and we saw the two games.

It's not a new "conspiracy". It was being pushed here by people since Darnold signed here. The camp battle is irrelevant. You don't know if Darnold outplayed Trey any better than people know if Trey outplayed Darnold. What we do know is that many people who are well connected to the Shanahan's and who receive first dibs on all of the leaks were 100% certain that Darnold was going to be the #2 before OTAs even started. That doesn't give the impression that the thumb wasn't on the scale for this "competition".
[ Edited by 49ersRing on Aug 24, 2023 at 1:06 PM ]
The truth is you thought he could never be accurate. He proved you wrong and now is as accurate as the rest of the guys.

He just needs more time than the 49ers can afford to give him, because throwing wasn't the only place he was behind.

When did this happen?

we should send this as a memo to all clubs, he's just as accurate as the rest of the guys, and here are the preseason box scores, see what happens..

This off-season. Every one who watched the games who isn't blind or stupid can CLEARLY AND OBVIOUSLY see he has dramatically improved his accuracy. He was not missing passes consistently in these games. He was missing READS consistently. You do understand that a pass and a read are not the same thing, right?

Who are the rest of the guys you are referring to? Would BP be in that group?

All our QBs on average. Brock is not great because he has unusual accuracy. He's great because he has unusual processing.

EDIT: Daniel Jones was the most on target passer in the league last year per PFR at 71%. Was he that good? There is more to quarterbacking than throwing. Purdy has all that stuff in spades. Lance didn't even have the throwing until this year.

Wow! Could not disagree more. Brock last year was dotting ppl. It was insane. Not just completions, but exactly where the ball needed to be. I could put a soda can on my head and trust him to knock it off. I would imagine Lance would be hitting me in the face.

He was also short on passes that went for touchdowns, such as the double move pump pass to Aiyuk against the Bucs. He was deadly accurate in medium range passes over the middle of the field. His accuracy dropped on deeper passes and outside passes beyond the flats.

lol short on the Bucs to BA.. he had broken ribs

really??
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
I think it's clear. The stupid reporters and beat writers and idiots at training camp who know nothing about football just see completions and stats and don't know what Shanahan is looking for in a qb. All posters here saying Lance had a great camp have no idea what Shanahan was specifically looking for.

Shanahan didn't like the way Lance ran his system. Plain and simple. Shanahan loves his system and wants a guy to run it. He is looking at progressions, timing etc. Hes not looking at stats. Hes not lookong at a play breaking down and improvisation in training camp. Hes looking at whether trey could run his basic offense. He couldnt.

trey was a bad fit from the start.

It's also a misrepresentation of what was said at least in this context: Multiple posters here have said that Trey was outperforming Sam through camp according to all media present, or a consensus of that group… which is simply not true. They were not all saying this and some flat out said Sam was ahead.

The camp battle is largely irrelevant, since the outcome was predetermined.

Smokey, weren't you arguing for this anyway? That the signing of Darnold was a sign they moved on completely?

If that's the case, the only time they committed to Trey was a season in which he finished 1 game. It's truly unprecedented what has happened.

That was me... and they signed Brandon Allen as a put hedge against TL in case he imploded, now Lynch is choosing to exercise that option.
Some of Trey's fans passing their opinions as fact in here... it was only days ago when they got super pissy about that sort of thing.
[ Edited by OKC49erFan on Aug 24, 2023 at 1:07 PM ]

Anyone that thinks how SF has handled this from day 1 to now as "normal" regarding drafting/developing a top 3 pick QB hasn't been paying attention to the league for over a decade OR is a bias as s**t. Plain and simple
At this point seems like a 5th by itself would be a miracle. Predicting a 6th max if he's moved.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
I am biased against TL's talent, nothing wrong with that, and it turns out my bias was right all along.

At least you admit you couldn't be objective. That's a start.

Why dont you have this poster muted?
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Some of Trey's fans passing their opinions as fact in here... it was only days ago when they got super pissy about that sort of thing.

Trey's fans is so cringe…it should be 49er fans. Can stop with the tribal BS
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Why dont you have this poster muted?

Thought I did lol
Share 49ersWebzone