There are 214 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
It's not a new "conspiracy". It was being pushed here by people since Darnold signed here. The camp battle is irrelevant. You don't know if Darnold outplayed Trey any better than people know if Trey outplayed Darnold. What we do know is that many people who are well connected to the Shanahan's and who receive first dibs on all of the leaks were 100% certain that Darnold was going to be the #2 before OTAs even started. That doesn't give the impression that the thumb wasn't on the scale for this "competition".

You're conflating this result with what was actually argued when Darnold signed. I was one of those people making the arguments when he did, lol.

I also made no claim to know who looked better in camp. I said reports were mixed and Darnold outplayed Trey in the games… which I did see. I also thought Darnold would likely be QB2 coming into the competition because he's simply a better player than the version of Lance we had seen up until camp. I just didn't know how much Trey would actually improve. I assumed little because he needs real playing time.

If you think Trey couldn't have come in and taken that QB2 job through his play and the outcome was predetermined, you're mistaken. He didn't do it because he's not good enough right now. Development and potential mean jack s**t when we have our QB1 in Purdy and don't have the PT necessary for Lance.

I think that it's clear from the way certain members of the media reacted when Darnold was signed and leading up to OTAs that it was clear that Darnold was being treated by Shanahan as the incumbent for that QB2 spot. Was it entirely impossible for Trey to unseat him? No, but Darnold would have had to play poorly and Lance would have had to be significantly better than him. It's not much different than an election in a heavily gerrymandered district. Realistically, the outcome was predetermined, because the gap between the two was never going to be wide enough for it to sway Kyle.
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Sam got moved for a 2nd and 4th with years of horrible football attached to him, plus NC had to pickup his 5th yr option when they traded him.

josh Rosen got moved for 2nd and 5th after 10 starts of disgusting play.

Don't forget Jimmy G and his 94 random passes in NE netted them a 2nd.

Don't see Trey fetching that though

Unfortunately, the only organization dumb enough to make that kind of trade is us.
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
"49ers general manager John Lynch admitted Thursday in an interview on KNBR radio that the most likely outcome is that Lance remains with the team, and seemed to doubt that a trade could be found before the season begins."

Ya right, Lynch jut trying to stop the bleeding in the TL trade market

Who do you think would want Trey right now? There's no stopping the bleeding. That market done bled out already. It's as low as it can get. They can't cut Trey either, so I think he's actually being 100% honest.

He pretty much flat out said, "we'd trade him if we could, but I doubt anyone would take him right now" lol. How is that gonna help his market?

I said it yesterday, if they had a trade partner they would have never announced he got demoted to QB3. They would have just traded him.

They didn't announce it. It was leaked, I suspect by Trey's agent, maybe?
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Maybe as far as gaining experience, but remember these are young kids listening to their agents who are trying to maximize $. We'll see how his career trajectory heads, but even if he never plays another down in the league has developed a very healthy bank account.
Very true
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
The truth is you thought he could never be accurate. He proved you wrong and now is as accurate as the rest of the guys.

He just needs more time than the 49ers can afford to give him, because throwing wasn't the only place he was behind.

When did this happen?

we should send this as a memo to all clubs, he's just as accurate as the rest of the guys, and here are the preseason box scores, see what happens..

This off-season. Every one who watched the games who isn't blind or stupid can CLEARLY AND OBVIOUSLY see he has dramatically improved his accuracy. He was not missing passes consistently in these games. He was missing READS consistently. You do understand that a pass and a read are not the same thing, right?

Who are the rest of the guys you are referring to? Would BP be in that group?

All our QBs on average. Brock is not great because he has unusual accuracy. He's great because he has unusual processing.

EDIT: Daniel Jones was the most on target passer in the league last year per PFR at 71%. Was he that good? There is more to quarterbacking than throwing. Purdy has all that stuff in spades. Lance didn't even have the throwing until this year.

Wow! Could not disagree more. Brock last year was dotting ppl. It was insane. Not just completions, but exactly where the ball needed to be. I could put a soda can on my head and trust him to knock it off. I would imagine Lance would be hitting me in the face.

As a *rookie* Brock did something like 14 TDs and 3 interceptions, again as a ROOKIE. That's an insane statistic. Brock is QB1 for a reason and probably 1/2 the reason that Trey is now on a possible Trade block. Having said that, I'm with Kyle, lets Keep Trey for as long as possible as insurance for any QB injuries. Then, prior to the trade deadline, move Trey to a team that will do him right and develop him to his full potential. Trey's going to be a good QB in the NFL, he just needs reps and more reps, and a team willing to give him those reps. 49ers can't, they already have their QB1 franchise QB. Looks like Kyle got lucky on that one. They need Trey's 2024 cap space to keep the rest of their players (read Bosa) for the wide open Super bowl window. Notice that once Trey was demoted to QB3, the Bosa contract negotiations started to heat up.
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
Kyle is a DIRTY RAT and its going to blow the f**k up in his arrongant face,we all have seen "I see ghost passrushers for years "darmold is what he is. kyle may be a good play caller but he has`nt a clue about QBs...just look at his track record ;Bethard, Micromanaging Jimmy G,and Now Trey ....cleary out playing darnold....9ers aren`t going to the Super Bowl this year Purdy will be hurt and in comes mr retread failure....been a 9er fan longer then some of you guys have been alive John Brodie days..I know dirty when I see it and this is pure dirty Shame on you kyle why did you waste those draft picks and Trey `s time why Kyle aren`t you the one whose suppose to know what the hell you are doing..always the Bridesmaid and never the Bride that`s you kyle

Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch developed the 49ers into a playoff contender that is loaded with talent. Yet, Kyle is a "DIRTY RAT."

OK.
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
It's also a misrepresentation of what was said at least in this context: Multiple posters here have said that Trey was outperforming Sam through camp according to all media present, or a consensus of that group… which is simply not true. They were not all saying this and some flat out said Sam was ahead.

People are naive if they think this was an actual QB competition. Kyle has had a love affair with Darnold since he was drafted. Trey could have played lights out and Kyle would have had Darnold as QB2. The decision was made when he signed Darnold.

We pretty much have to assumed Kyle also had a love affair with Trey, otherwise he wouldn't throw away all those draft capital to get him. So your assumption made no sense whatsoever.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Some of Trey's fans passing their opinions as fact in here... it was only days ago when they got super pissy about that sort of thing.

Trey's fans is so cringe…it should be 49er fans. Can stop with the tribal BS

The "tribal BS" comes from y'all's behavior, not the acknowledgement of it.
Anyone that thinks how SF has handled this from day 1 to now as "normal" regarding drafting/developing a top 3 pick QB hasn't been paying attention to the league for over a decade OR is a bias as s**t. Plain and simple

If I had a dollar for everytime you've used expletive language over the last 24 hours
Sam got moved for a 2nd and 4th with years of horrible football attached to him, plus NC had to pickup his 5th yr option when they traded him.

And Wentz with his contract and what he went for as well.

I don't think he will get anything close to that but man just keep him if you're gonna get nothing. They save next to no money this yr either (already paid his roster bonus).

Originally posted by Shorteous:
Anyone that thinks how SF has handled this from day 1 to now as "normal" regarding drafting/developing a top 3 pick QB hasn't been paying attention to the league for over a decade OR is a bias as s**t. Plain and simple

If I had a dollar for everytime you've used expletive language over the last 24 hours

You mean since I've been here for the past 10 yrs? I'm from NY and I'm Italian, it's how I talk buzzy.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by 1251alex:
NinerTalk really loves Trey Lance. Lmao. I really liked the pick. But its time to move on. Get over it.

They are very emotionally invested. This going south also makes them look bad because they have been riding this guy for years saying he will be the next Mahomes.

They've hit defcon 1 and it's scorched earth mutual assured destruction. I do enjoy reading their little blips about people being emotionally invested and bias hahaha really tickles my irony bone
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Kyle is a DIRTY RAT and its going to blow the f**k up in his arrongant face,we all have seen "I see ghost passrushers for years "darmold is what he is. kyle may be a good play caller but he has`nt a clue about QBs...just look at his track record ;Bethard, Micromanaging Jimmy G,and Now Trey ....cleary out playing darnold....9ers aren`t going to the Super Bowl this year Purdy will be hurt and in comes mr retread failure....been a 9er fan longer then some of you guys have been alive John Brodie days..I know dirty when I see it and this is pure dirty Shame on you kyle why did you waste those draft picks and Trey `s time why Kyle aren`t you the one whose suppose to know what the hell you are doing..always the Bridesmaid and never the Bride that`s you kyle

Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch developed the 49ers into a playoff contender that is loaded with talent. Yet, Kyle is a "DIRTY RAT."

OK.
Maybe they should call themselves NFL fans and not 49er fans.. lol

And Wentz with his contract and what he went for as well.

I don't think he will get anything close to that but man just keep him if you're gonna get nothing. They save next to no money this yr either (already paid his roster bonus).

I think they should keep him. Have him run the scout team, working on multi-level accuracy (get those screens and quick slants down) and making aggressive throws, testing the defense to help them prepare. I think that could work out, potentially, pretty well.

Trey wasn't clearly outplaying Sam. No one in their right state of mind believes that. However, I didn't see Sam in those two pre season games outplaying Trey either. Sam, outside of that one scoring drive couldn't at all move the ball and keep the offense on the field. It could be all the things Sam did that Trey didn't during TC and joint practices that put him in front of Trey. However, I remember reading multiple reports throughout camp that Trey was clearly out performing Sam in those move the ball periods in practice. But it is what it is. Neither one was taking the QB1 job over Brock and crying over who is the primary backup is just dumb.
Share 49ersWebzone