There are 220 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
Originally posted by tankle104:

what up tank, where you been, u r late to the party today

I was on some calls going over some business all morning, I have my own business so I had some things to take care of, but I'm back baby! largin and chargin, lookin for chickees! hahaha
Originally posted by billbird2111:

Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch developed the 49ers into a playoff contender that is loaded with talent. Yet, Kyle is a "DIRTY RAT."

OK.

never mentioned Lynch being a dirty rat just Kyle,and I stand by what I see,I know a RAT when I see one you do know that even rats build a nest(good foundation) that does`nt change them from being a RAT
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Originally posted by thl408:
In the posts you are making about how the team handled Lance, to me, it seems like you are leaving one very important aspect out - Brock playing well. How, if at all, do you think Brock factors into the team mismanaging Lance? To me, Lance got injured and Brock took his job. If your argument is that this is a mismanagement of Lance, then Kyle sitting Brock to develop Lance would be mismanaging the team.

I'm not saying the situation was handled great, since i never thought we should of drafted lance in the first place, but what are they supposed to do now? sit brock and try to develop lance?

People have to realize that the team most likely doesn't think Lance is going to become some stud, like certain people on here believe. Other teams don't believe that either since his trade value is essentially nothing. What he has shown in games, regardless if some want to believe it, isn't good. His value wouldn't tank worse than what Darnold's did when he was a Jet.

You can't just sit here and assume lance IS going to develop into a stud with more reps, if the team believed that, he would be #2, at worst.

Huh? QB2 gets the same reps as QB3, doesn't he?

traditionally, no. They may with Kyle but usually second string runs the scout team. a lot of teams don't even keep a third stringer anymore. but my point is that if they thought Lance had the ability to be great and just needed reps, they would get him on the field if the first string guy went down. Not take him farther away from it.

The plan was to develop Lance last year, but two things happened. He broke his leg. Purdy had the best first 8 games in history for a rookie QB. Plans change. Now it's about winning a title and since Lance lost a year of developmental time, it doesn't make sense to push him out there when there are better options. To be fair, Lance may turn out great, but with him losing a year, we cannot really afford any more lost time on this roster. My hope was that Trey would have taken this offseason by the horns and clearly established himself as the top back-up, but he didn't and that's okay. Doesn't mean he cannot be good, just that he's still raw and our team has a guy who we feel is the face of the franchise, so no need to push something that we don't need to push any longer.
In the posts you are making about how the team handled Lance, to me, it seems like you are leaving one very important aspect out - Brock playing well. How, if at all, do you think Brock factors into the team mismanaging Lance? To me, Lance got injured and Brock took his job. If your argument is that this is a mismanagement of Lance, then Kyle sitting Brock to develop Lance would be mismanaging the team.

I'm not saying the situation was handled great, since i never thought we should of drafted lance in the first place, but what are they supposed to do now? sit brock and try to develop lance?

People have to realize that the team most likely doesn't think Lance is going to become some stud, like certain people on here believe. Other teams don't believe that either since his trade value is essentially nothing. What he has shown in games, regardless if some want to believe it, isn't good. His value wouldn't tank worse than what Darnold's did when he was a Jet.

You can't just sit here and assume lance IS going to develop into a stud with more reps, if the team believed that, he would be #2, at worst.

Huh? QB2 gets the same reps as QB3, doesn't he?

traditionally, no. They may with Kyle but usually second string runs the scout team. a lot of teams don't even keep a third stringer anymore. but my point is that if they thought Lance had the ability to be great and just needed reps, they would get him on the field if the first string guy went down. Not take him farther away from it.

Well, it's live game reps that the dude needs, not practice. So unless we suffer another catastrophe, yes, QB2 will get the same amount of reps as QB3.

Oh yeah, I agree with that. Still reps in practice are worth something, not ideal but helpful. Hopefully Lance nor Darnold see the field this year because of injuries - just garbage time (cause we are winning) haha.

Does anyone know if QB contracts prohibit players from working with private coaches during the year? if lance is QB3, I wonder if he will be able to keep grinding with his coach, if his coach was local.
Originally posted by Shorteous:
It's either that or they realized that Unicorn is 2-3 years away, min. If they thought he was able to turn into a great QB and be a reliable player now, he would definitely be QB2.

I just think the people on here who are big believers in Trey are failing to recognize that the team most likely doesn't believe Trey has that ability.

Agreed they still talk as if his talent is an assured thing that can't be questioned.

it is just 5150 batsh!t crazy... a hidden gem who just needs reps Lol

if ShannaLynch really believed thats all TL needed was reps then I agree he would be QB2 right now in front of the red headed Irishman
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Anyone that thinks how SF has handled this from day 1 to now as "normal" regarding drafting/developing a top 3 pick QB hasn't been paying attention to the league for over a decade OR is a bias as s**t. Plain and simple

Well NY85 doesn't think very highly of Brock, so to him his argument makes sense. To make that argument fly, you have to buy the fact that Brock is a flash in the pan. NY85 could be right, Purdy might just be a flash in the pan, but Kyle doesn't seem to think so, and Kyle's been more right than wrong in a lot of football decisions so far.
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:

what up tank, where you been, u r late to the party today

I was on some calls going over some business all morning, I have my own business so I had some things to take care of, but I'm back baby! largin and chargin, lookin for chickees! hahaha

right on bro all blue pilled up
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by NYniner85:You mean since I've been here for the past 10 yrs? I'm from NY and I'm Italian, it's how I talk buzzy.

Now I truly get it

Ahhh he's part of Cosa Nostra.. hahha
if he was, then he would know that this is business
Riddick: Someone should have to answer for 49ers' Trey Lance mismanagement

Louis Riddick clearly looking for a 49ers job opening lol
Originally posted by Shorteous:
It's either that or they realized that Unicorn is 2-3 years away, min. If they thought he was able to turn into a great QB and be a reliable player now, he would definitely be QB2.

I just think the people on here who are big believers in Trey are failing to recognize that the team most likely doesn't believe Trey has that ability.

Agreed they still talk as if his talent is an assured thing that can't be questioned.

That and his film in his few moments of playing, isn't good. Some refuse to acknowledge that. It's literally tanked his value from a top 3 pick to only god knows what. That doesn't happen because of his injuries - they didn't have any impact on his athletic ability.

Jimmy got hurt after a couple of starts and many teams offered a 1 for him, we got lucky with only a 2.

Darnold sucked it up and turned the ball over a lot in NY but he fetched a 2nd and some change - he was more expensive too.

So if Lance's value has sunk that much, it's probably because no team likes what they've seen and heard, imo.

Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
Riddick: Someone should have to answer for 49ers' Trey Lance mismanagement

Louis Riddick clearly looking for a 49ers job opening lol

We already got the answer, Brock. Problem already solved.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Anyone that thinks how SF has handled this from day 1 to now as "normal" regarding drafting/developing a top 3 pick QB hasn't been paying attention to the league for over a decade OR is a bias as s**t. Plain and simple

Well NY85 doesn't think very highly of Brock, so to him his argument makes sense. To make that argument fly, you have to buy the fact that Brock is a flash in the pan. NY85 could be right, Purdy might just be a flash in the pan, but Kyle doesn't seem to think so, and Kyle's been more right than wrong in a lot of football decisions so far.
if Brock is a flash in the pan.. whats Lance's comparison ?
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Aug 24, 2023 at 1:47 PM ]
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
if Brock is a flash in the plan.. whats Lance's comparison ?

Originally posted by billbird2111:

Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch developed the 49ers into a playoff contender that is loaded with talent. Yet, Kyle is a "DIRTY RAT."

OK.

never mentioned Lynch being a dirty rat just Kyle,and I stand by what I see,I know a RAT when I see one you do know that even rats build a nest(good foundation) that does`nt change them from being a RAT
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Trey wasn't clearly outplaying Sam. No one in their right state of mind believes that. However, I didn't see Sam in those two pre season games outplaying Trey either. Sam, outside of that one scoring drive couldn't at all move the ball and keep the offense on the field. It could be all the things Sam did that Trey didn't during TC and joint practices that put him in front of Trey. However, I remember reading multiple reports throughout camp that Trey was clearly out performing Sam in those move the ball periods in practice. But it is what it is. Neither one was taking the QB1 job over Brock and crying over who is the primary backup is just dumb.

Purdy was and is the starter that is not the issue you are missing my point , Lance should be the qb2 there is no crying here I stand by what I wrote
Originally posted by Chance:
The plan was to develop Lance last year, but two things happened. He broke his leg. Purdy had the best first 8 games in history for a rookie QB. Plans change. Now it's about winning a title and since Lance lost a year of developmental time, it doesn't make sense to push him out there when there are better options. To be fair, Lance may turn out great, but with him losing a year, we cannot really afford any more lost time on this roster. My hope was that Trey would have taken this offseason by the horns and clearly established himself as the top back-up, but he didn't and that's okay. Doesn't mean he cannot be good, just that he's still raw and our team has a guy who we feel is the face of the franchise, so no need to push something that we don't need to push any longer.

Yeah, I think he can be a good QB in this league. Good to me means like the Jimmy range top 8-13 or so, a high quality game manager. I think Brock has a higher ceiling than Lance and the potential to be Elite - we will find if i'm right soon, hopefully!

Lance is a good kid, I feel for him on a personal level, but just have to look at this rationally. I actually hope he sticks with the team this year and can get moved next year. he most likely wouldn't start anywhere this year anyways and he would have to learn a new system on the fly, I don't think thats good for him or his future.
Share 49ersWebzone