There are 235 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
"We thought he'd be ready in two years and he wasn't"

- Shanahan

This is what I am talking about. Remember folks trying to sell us that the CHI game was him flashing his 'potential'? In reality he was flashing his bust potential. You had Mike Martz dropping truth bombs. Ppl didn't want to hear it. He just wasn't ready in 2022, wasn't even close.
I'm starting to become annoyed with many of Niner Nation. Almost reminds me of the old saying "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned." It's a perfect analogy of what's happening post Trey trade.

Now we have all the Trey fans sitting on their hands waiting for the season to start so they can criticize every Purdy interception or poor play call by Kyle. Problem is there are a ton of these punks happy to sabotage our season to prove a point.

It is like a pack of angry women and it's sad to see. My advice? Grow a pair. Trey is now a Cowboy. Time to move on! Mistakes happen. Niners made a big mistake with Trey. Everyone knows this by now. Still upset Trey was traded? Take a deep breath and let it go!

He was never going to fit into this offense. Niners tried, Niners failed. What else do you guys want to hear? Accept it and don't be a pack of women out for vengeance. Trust me, it's not a good look!
[ Edited by bigpete50 on Aug 31, 2023 at 12:46 PM ]
Trey barely got a chance and was forced to sit his rookie year. This team wasn't all in on him from the get go. They didn't know what QB to take in the draft. This whole situation is and was a disaster.
Originally posted by eric_anthony:
Trey barely got a chance and was forced to sit his rookie year. This team wasn't all in on him from the get go. They didn't know what QB to take in the draft. This whole situation is and was a disaster.

When you invest 3 ones, you are all in. He had bad luck with injuries. He wasn't ready to play year 1 or 2 or 3. Gotta be able to play part of that is reliability, which JG ran into also, part of that is can you perform?
Originally posted by bigpete50:
I'm starting to become annoyed with many of Niner Nation. Almost reminds me of the old saying "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned." It's a perfect analogy of what's happening post Trey trade.

Now we have all the Trey fans sitting on their hands waiting for the season to start so they can criticize every Purdy interception or poor play call by Kyle. Problem is there are a ton of these punks happy to sabotage our season to prove a point.

It is like a pack of angry women and it's sad to see. My advice? Grow a pair. Trey is now a Cowboy. Time to move on! Mistakes happen. Niners made a big mistake with Trey. Everyone knows this by now. Time to move on and look ahead. Still upset Trey was traded? Take a deep breath and let it go!

He was never going to fit into this offense. Niners tried, Niners failed. What else do you guys want to hear? Accept it and don't be a pack of women out for vengeance. Trust me, it's not a good look!

I think I speak for a lot of posters that believed Jimmy's level of play would not result in a championship, specifically in the playoffs.

The moment the last pick in the draft came in and immediately put up numbers comparable to the best QBs in the league, that belief that we needed an upgrade was justified.

Go back and look at the thread last season which asked "is our season over" after Jimmy's injury and you'll see most of the posters who were pessimistic were huge supporters of Jimmy, not Trey. Now they act like they've believed in Brock all along, but in reality they just didn't believe in Trey or trust Kyle to win without Jimmy.

Hence, the Trey vs Brock thing was always overblown on this forum, because that was not the main divide in this fanbase.

What it was, was the group of posters that believed since 2017 the Jimmy G was a large portion of our success, due to Kyle's record with and without him vs fans that knew this team was all around talented, and they win outside the QB position more than any team and an upgrade to the QB position was the most important thing we needed to put us over the top.

I was a believer in Trey, and I'm a much bigger believer in Purdy now. Which seems to contradict your framework.
[ Edited by Waterbear on Aug 31, 2023 at 12:47 PM ]

TL looks better in blue, and 15 is a better look for him
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
When you invest 3 ones, you are all in. He had bad luck with injuries. He wasn't ready to play year 1 or 2 or 3. Gotta be able to play part of that is reliability, which JG ran into also, part of that is can you perform?

You spend that much to get him you should play him year 1 and see what you have. Kyle had no problem playing him against ARI and then later against the Texans. Even while having a broken finger. They botched his development big time and he shouldn't have been drafted by them. They were on two different timelines.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by bigpete50:

It is like a pack of angry women and it's sad to see. My advice? Grow a pair. Trey is now a Cowboy. Time to move on! Mistakes happen. Niners made a big mistake with Trey. Everyone knows this by now. Time to move on and look ahead. Still upset Trey was traded? Take a deep breath and let it go!

I think I speak for a lot of posters that believed Jimmy's level of play would not result in a championship, specifically in the playoffs.

The moment the last pick in the draft came in and immediately put up numbers comparable to the best QBs in the league, that belief that we needed an upgrade was justified.

Go back and look at the thread last season which asked "is our season over" after Jimmy's injury and you'll see most of the posters who were pessimistic were huge supporters of Jimmy, not Trey. Now they act like they've believed in Brock all along, but in reality they just didn't believe in Trey or trust Kyle to win without Jimmy.

Hence, the Trey vs Brock thing was always overblown on this forum, because that was not the main divide in this fanbase.

What it was, was the group of posters that believed since 2017 the Jimmy G was a large portion of our success, due to Kyle's record with and without him vs fans that knew this team was all around talented, and they win outside the QB position more than any team and an upgrade to the QB position was the most important thing we needed to put us over the top.

I was a believer in Trey, and I'm a much bigger believer in Purdy now. Which seems to contradict your framework.

It contradicts a lot of his framework. Who are these Trey fans who ready to criticize Purdy? His claim is there "are a ton of these punks" so they should be everywhere. Yet I dont see any.

Brock is our guy. I fully believe in him. I believed in Trey, but that was mostly about believing in his potential and long term projections. Brock has already shown how good he can be. The only poster I have seen overly critical about Brock isnt even a Trey fan....hes a Darnold superfan (for some unknown reason). This Lance vs. Brock fight is largely imaginary.

b******t. He had the team handed to him, without competition. He wasn't close to ready his rookie year, he wasn't ready this year. I am in this thread early on in support of drafting him, I thought he'd be ready after a year behind Jimmy. He wasn't though, and it was pretty obvious to me. The biggest mistake the niners made was trading up in a draft with no players worth trading up for. I applaud them for recognizing their mistake and moving on. It was great they got a fourth for Trey, nobody expected that kind of return on him considering how poorly he played.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

b******t. He had the team handed to him, without competition. He wasn't close to ready his rookie year, he wasn't ready this year. I am in this thread early on in support of drafting him, I thought he'd be ready after a year behind Jimmy. He wasn't though, and it was pretty obvious to me. The biggest mistake the niners made was trading up in a draft with no players worth trading up for. I applaud them for recognizing their mistake and moving on. It was great they got a fourth for Trey, nobody expected that kind of return on him considering how poorly he played.

Can you point to a top 5 drafted QB who actually had to "earn" his starting job? Does one even exist?

The disaster was from the start. Kyle and John absolutely botched the evaluation. As bad as it's ever been done. There were a select few posters on this board, like 2, saying he wasn't an nfl caliber qb and not near the athlete the board thought he was.
They have been proven right.
Good job on Kyle and John for admitting it and trading him to stop the circus. I still think that move will be what stops this core from winning a title.
I would say everyone wanted an upgrade over JG. I myself would have welcomed Tom Brady in a heartbeat, and I liked JGs game. The problem is we spent three ones on Nate Peterman, as the upgrade. I mean Trey Lance.
I would say everyone wanted an upgrade over JG. I myself would have welcomed Tom Brady in a heartbeat, and I liked JGs game. The problem is we spent three ones on Nate Peterman, as the upgrade. I mean Trey Lance.

Yep. That package could've gotten nearly any players in the league, half of it would've gotten a qb who could've won the title in one of the last two years
funny, there was a group of draft Peterman's here

No s**t he wasn't ready because he only played one year of college football in a small school. He showed flashes in the limited action he was in. The problem I have with this situation is moving off him after not even seeing a full season from him. It's not his fault they moved up and drafted him. He needed to go to a spot where the organization was gonna grow with him and go through his up's and downs. How the f**k the niners didn't scout him properly and realize he needed some time is beyond me.
Share 49ersWebzone