49ers bounce back from consecutive losses with decisive 30-13 win over Patriots →

There are 382 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by eric_anthony:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
b******t. He had the team handed to him, without competition. He wasn't close to ready his rookie year, he wasn't ready this year. I am in this thread early on in support of drafting him, I thought he'd be ready after a year behind Jimmy. He wasn't though, and it was pretty obvious to me. The biggest mistake the niners made was trading up in a draft with no players worth trading up for. I applaud them for recognizing their mistake and moving on. It was great they got a fourth for Trey, nobody expected that kind of return on him considering how poorly he played.

No s**t he wasn't ready because he only played one year of college football in a small school. He showed flashes in the limited action he was in. The problem I have with this situation is moving off him after not even seeing a full season from him. It's not his fault they moved up and drafted him. He needed to go to a spot where the organization was gonna grow with him and go through his up's and downs. How the f**k the niners didn't scout him properly and realize he needed some time is beyond me.

He showed no flashes. He's slow as bleep. He slings it like Shaun Hill. Am I wrong? Go back to the Mike Martz take. He doesn't throw it well. He doesn't run it well. Not very athletic. Takes him a long time to get set and throw. Doesn't see the field well. Other than that, he's a heck of a player. You are correct in that we whiffed so hard on this in the draft eval.. my only thing I can say is The Genius, took Carmazzi over the local Tom Brady. So stuff like that does happen in the NFL draft. It's hard to predict, and sometimes you get so deep in your analysis, you can't see the forest for the trees.
No s**t he wasn't ready because he only played one year of college football in a small school. He showed flashes in the limited action he was in. The problem I have with this situation is moving off him after not even seeing a full season from him. It's not his fault they moved up and drafted him. He needed to go to a spot where the organization was gonna grow with him and go through his up's and downs. How the f**k the niners didn't scout him properly and realize he needed some time is beyond me.

everyone keeps ignoring that a global pandemic lockdown preceded the '21 NFL Draft. new rules, shortened /cancelled season, opt-outs and the cancellation of the 2021 Combine all affected the normal scouting processes.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
He showed no flashes. He's slow as bleep. He slings it like Shaun Hill. Am I wrong? Go back to the Mike Martz take. He doesn't throw it well. He doesn't run it well. Not very athletic. Takes him a long time to get set and throw. Doesn't see the field well. Other than that, he's a heck of a player. You are correct in that we whiffed so hard on this in the draft eval.. my only thing I can say is The Genius, took Carmazzi over the local Tom Brady. So stuff like that does happen in the NFL draft. It's hard to predict, and sometimes you get so deep in your analysis, you can't see the forest for the trees.

Yeah very wrong like cmon man Shaun Hill had a literal noodle arm what are we doing here? 😂 He runs well when he scrambles he's not a zone read runner at least not in the NFL. He's a slow starter at this point for sure but it's ridiculous writing him off after 3.5 starts. No one knows what he is yet. How come he couldn't fix his mechanics his first few years but Jeff Christensen does it in a matter of weeks? This team wasn't interested in developing him at all. They thought they could just plug him in and he'd be good. This team always goes for the shortcut with QB's. I hope Brock really is the real deal but man they moved off Trey real fast after not knowing what they have yet.

Yeah very wrong like cmon man Shaun Hill had a literal noodle arm what are we doing here? 😂 He runs well when he scrambles he's not a zone read runner at least not in the NFL. He's a slow starter at this point for sure but it's ridiculous writing him off after 3.5 starts. No one knows what he is yet. How come he couldn't fix his mechanics his first few years but Jeff Christensen does it in a matter of weeks? This team wasn't interested in developing him at all. They thought they could just plug him in and he'd be good. This team always goes for the shortcut with QB's. I hope Brock really is the real deal but man they moved off Trey real fast after not knowing what they have yet.

He doesn't run well, slow as bleep, like he's running in quicksand. Does he have velo? Not impressed, I've seen 49er QBs throw it harder. CK had a way bigger hose than this guy. His passes wobble like an idiot. That's the comp to Hill, they throw ugly balls. I just don't like TLs game. I don't see he has any to be honest.

KS absolutely 100% wrote him off after 4 starts. Traded to DAL for a next to nothing. They hoped he would level up in 18 months, KS said it didn't happen. They gave him 18 months to show something, or grow his game. KS knows exactly what he had imo. That's why he was dealt to DAL and they are sleeping easy about it.
  • Koldo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by boast:

everyone keeps ignoring that a global pandemic lockdown preceded the '21 NFL Draft. new rules, shortened /cancelled season, opt-outs and the cancellation of the 2021 Combine all affected the normal scouting processes.

So it was basically the worst possible time to make the kind of trade ShanaLynch did.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by bigpete50:
I'm starting to become annoyed with many of Niner Nation. Almost reminds me of the old saying "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned." It's a perfect analogy of what's happening post Trey trade.

Now we have all the Trey fans sitting on their hands waiting for the season to start so they can criticize every Purdy interception or poor play call by Kyle. Problem is there are a ton of these punks happy to sabotage our season to prove a point.

It is like a pack of angry women and it's sad to see. My advice? Grow a pair. Trey is now a Cowboy. Time to move on! Mistakes happen. Niners made a big mistake with Trey. Everyone knows this by now. Time to move on and look ahead. Still upset Trey was traded? Take a deep breath and let it go!

He was never going to fit into this offense. Niners tried, Niners failed. What else do you guys want to hear? Accept it and don't be a pack of women out for vengeance. Trust me, it's not a good look!

I think I speak for a lot of posters that believed Jimmy's level of play would not result in a championship, specifically in the playoffs.

The moment the last pick in the draft came in and immediately put up numbers comparable to the best QBs in the league, that belief that we needed an upgrade was justified.

Go back and look at the thread last season which asked "is our season over" after Jimmy's injury and you'll see most of the posters who were pessimistic were huge supporters of Jimmy, not Trey. Now they act like they've believed in Brock all along, but in reality they just didn't believe in Trey or trust Kyle to win without Jimmy.

Hence, the Trey vs Brock thing was always overblown on this forum, because that was not the main divide in this fanbase.

What it was, was the group of posters that believed since 2017 the Jimmy G was a large portion of our success, due to Kyle's record with and without him vs fans that knew this team was all around talented, and they win outside the QB position more than any team and an upgrade to the QB position was the most important thing we needed to put us over the top.

I was a believer in Trey, and I'm a much bigger believer in Purdy now. Which seems to contradict your framework.

It couldn't have been due to the fact Purdy was Mr Irrelevant and a rookie. Something that had never been done before. But I get it, you have a narrative to push, so go on lol
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
It couldn't have been due to the fact Purdy was Mr Irrelevant and a rookie. Something that had never been done before. But I get it, you have a narrative to push, so go on lol

No one was or is acting like they were convicted in Brock from the jump. Hard to be convicted in pick 262. It's long odds.

No one was or is acting like they were convicted in Brock from the jump. Hard to be convicted in pick 262. It's long odds.

I don't blame anyone for being skeptical of rookie Mr Irrelevant winning the chip in his first year. It's weird to use that as supporting evidence in an attempt push a narrative lol
Originally posted by Koldo:

So it was basically the worst possible time to make the kind of trade ShanaLynch did.

for sure. but like they said, the result of the 2020 season put them in a unique situation they thought they wouldn't be in again any time soon. they took a big swing at the position and missed.

Just reviewing the first few hundred pages of this thread, it looks like the Alabama guy and the San Diego guy called it from the jump. They got tons of heat but the other guys look terrible in hindsight

I'm starting to become annoyed with many of Niner Nation. Almost reminds me of the old saying "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned." It's a perfect analogy of what's happening post Trey trade.

Now we have all the Trey fans sitting on their hands waiting for the season to start so they can criticize every Purdy interception or poor play call by Kyle. Problem is there are a ton of these punks happy to sabotage our season to prove a point.

It is like a pack of angry women and it's sad to see. My advice? Grow a pair. Trey is now a Cowboy. Time to move on! Mistakes happen. Niners made a big mistake with Trey. Everyone knows this by now. Time to move on and look ahead. Still upset Trey was traded? Take a deep breath and let it go!

He was never going to fit into this offense. Niners tried, Niners failed. What else do you guys want to hear? Accept it and don't be a pack of women out for vengeance. Trust me, it's not a good look!

I think I speak for a lot of posters that believed Jimmy's level of play would not result in a championship, specifically in the playoffs.

The moment the last pick in the draft came in and immediately put up numbers comparable to the best QBs in the league, that belief that we needed an upgrade was justified.

Go back and look at the thread last season which asked "is our season over" after Jimmy's injury and you'll see most of the posters who were pessimistic were huge supporters of Jimmy, not Trey. Now they act like they've believed in Brock all along, but in reality they just didn't believe in Trey or trust Kyle to win without Jimmy.

Hence, the Trey vs Brock thing was always overblown on this forum, because that was not the main divide in this fanbase.

What it was, was the group of posters that believed since 2017 the Jimmy G was a large portion of our success, due to Kyle's record with and without him vs fans that knew this team was all around talented, and they win outside the QB position more than any team and an upgrade to the QB position was the most important thing we needed to put us over the top.

I was a believer in Trey, and I'm a much bigger believer in Purdy now. Which seems to contradict your framework.

It's not narrative pushing to acknowledge that.

And its not a conspiracy to say the harshest critics of Kyle Shanahan were some of the biggest believers in Jimmy. That's just reality. Again, some people really bought into the idea that Kyle couldn't win without Jimmy. I assume because that was the narrative pushed by most NFL shows, ESPN, NFL Network... and so on.

They go hand in hand IMO.

Now, it wouldn't be accurate to say everyone who was a huge fan of Jimmy thought our season was over, absolutely not. There were fans who believed Trey would be the future that thought our season was over, and vice versa.

Am I generalizing, of course.. but is it accurate to say? Yes.
He doesn't run well, slow as bleep, like he's running in quicksand. Does he have velo? Not impressed, I've seen 49er QBs throw it harder. CK had a way bigger hose than this guy. His passes wobble like an idiot. That's the comp to Hill, they throw ugly balls. I just don't like TLs game. I don't see he has any to be honest.

KS absolutely 100% wrote him off after 4 starts. Traded to DAL for a next to nothing. They hoped he would level up in 18 months, KS said it didn't happen. They gave him 18 months to show something, or grow his game. KS knows exactly what he had imo. That's why he was dealt to DAL and they are sleeping easy about it.

The most comical part about seeing you post comments like "his passes wobble like an idiot" and seeing your over the top harsh analysis of Trey is that the most obnoxious believer in what Trey could be on this entire board WAS YOU!!!

No one has forgotten your 5,000 yard 40 touchdown prediction.

It's not narrative pushing to acknowledge that.

And its not a conspiracy to say the harshest critics of Kyle Shanahan were some of the biggest believers in Jimmy. That's just reality. Again, some people really bought into the idea that Kyle couldn't win without Jimmy. I assume because that was the narrative pushed by most NFL shows, ESPN, NFL Network... and so on.

They go hand in hand IMO.

Now, it wouldn't be accurate to say everyone who was a huge fan of Jimmy thought our season was over, absolutely not. There were fans who believed Trey would be the future that thought our season was over, and vice versa.

Am I generalizing, of course.. but is it accurate to say? Yes.

using that as supporting evidence makes it come across as narrative pushing. Purdy was a rookie. Last pick in the draft. Nobody had an idea what we had at that point. I really liked what I saw in the dolphins game, and really thought we had something. But I don't blame others for not being sold right away. It's silly to use that as evidence for not believing in Lance or Kyle winning without Jimmy.

And posters didn't believe Kyle couldn't win without Jimmy. That's more narrative pushing. It was more like posters believed Kyle was more likely to win with Jimmy than any other option he had at his disposal up to that point. And the proof is in the pudding. So I don't see anything wrong with that. I'm sure if we had traded for Brady or Rodgers, or any proven QB, nobody would be hesitant in Kyle winning without Jimmy.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Trey barely got a chance and was forced to sit his rookie year. This team wasn't all in on him from the get go. They didn't know what QB to take in the draft. This whole situation is and was a disaster.

b******t. He had the team handed to him, without competition. He wasn't close to ready his rookie year, he wasn't ready this year. I am in this thread early on in support of drafting him, I thought he'd be ready after a year behind Jimmy. He wasn't though, and it was pretty obvious to me. The biggest mistake the niners made was trading up in a draft with no players worth trading up for. I applaud them for recognizing their mistake and moving on. It was great they got a fourth for Trey, nobody expected that kind of return on him considering how poorly he played.

Can you point to a top 5 drafted QB who actually had to "earn" his starting job? Does one even exist?

Can you point to where I said that wasn't normal? I'm just shutting down the b******t about Trey not getting a chance. Which is complete bs.
Originally posted by Koldo:

well it sure wasn't time to take a qb prospect with 300 pass attempts at a low lvl school.

how you scout a player with 99 pass attempts in high school and 300 in college, I'll never understand. Lol outside of Trey being a good guy, there isnt film of him showing he can play at this level.

Regardless of if you think Trey can eventually play at this level, at a high level, that is an insane risk when you have a championship caliber team. They risked our entire super bowl window on him, we would be in a disaster if a 7th round flyer on a QB hadn't be historically awesome. It was very reckless.

we aren't even talking like he's "okay". Trey is struggling so much that they decided he shouldn't even be QB2. That is a colossal miss and the risk they took is insane, when you're gambling that much capital and a Super Bowl roster - the prospect you take should have some evidence that it can be good. Not a game manager at the FCS level that wasn't asked to do anything but hit wide open guys and run over DIII linebackers.

i don't think anyone should get in trouble, cause luckily it looks like we've been bailed out by Purdy - but I hope they've learned a major lesson and feel very fortunate.
Share 49ersWebzone