49ers bounce back from consecutive losses with decisive 30-13 win over Patriots →

There are 306 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by eric_anthony:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
b******t. He had the team handed to him, without competition. He wasn't close to ready his rookie year, he wasn't ready this year. I am in this thread early on in support of drafting him, I thought he'd be ready after a year behind Jimmy. He wasn't though, and it was pretty obvious to me. The biggest mistake the niners made was trading up in a draft with no players worth trading up for. I applaud them for recognizing their mistake and moving on. It was great they got a fourth for Trey, nobody expected that kind of return on him considering how poorly he played.

No s**t he wasn't ready because he only played one year of college football in a small school. He showed flashes in the limited action he was in. The problem I have with this situation is moving off him after not even seeing a full season from him. It's not his fault they moved up and drafted him. He needed to go to a spot where the organization was gonna grow with him and go through his up's and downs. How the f**k the niners didn't scout him properly and realize he needed some time is beyond me.

It's not their fault the guy couldn't stay healthy either. Everyone b***hing about Trey not getting a chance when he got a chance, got injured, and a guy came in and played at a much higher level than Trey was able to. They totally underestimated how unprepared to be an NFL qb he was. That's where they screwed this up.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
The most comical part about seeing you post comments like "his passes wobble like an idiot" and seeing your over the top harsh analysis of Trey is that the most obnoxious believer in what Trey could be on this entire board WAS YOU!!!

No one has forgotten your 5,000 yard 40 touchdown prediction.

Nor should they
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:

TL looks better in blue, and 15 is a better look for him

lol imagine if we meet them again in the playoffs and other qbs are injured and Trey comes in and beats us lololol.... the laughing stock of the NFL would be us
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:

TL looks better in blue, and 15 is a better look for him

lol imagine if we meet them again in the playoffs and other qbs are injured and Trey comes in and beats us lololol.... the laughing stock of the NFL would be us

So is dak like Dallas's jimmy? Where they do a solid job have limitations and the fan base is super split on them causing wars? Lmao

Truthfully, I'd take jimmy over dak, but they're very similar QBs performance wise. Dak is a little more dynamic with his ability but jimmy is more efficient.

i hope Lance has to play for them week 5 Muahahah
[ Edited by tankle104 on Aug 31, 2023 at 6:07 PM ]
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:

I wouldn't count on it, lol.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
He showed no flashes. He's slow as bleep. He slings it like Shaun Hill. Am I wrong? Go back to the Mike Martz take. He doesn't throw it well. He doesn't run it well. Not very athletic. Takes him a long time to get set and throw. Doesn't see the field well. Other than that, he's a heck of a player. You are correct in that we whiffed so hard on this in the draft eval.. my only thing I can say is The Genius, took Carmazzi over the local Tom Brady. So stuff like that does happen in the NFL draft. It's hard to predict, and sometimes you get so deep in your analysis, you can't see the forest for the trees.

Yeah very wrong like cmon man Shaun Hill had a literal noodle arm what are we doing here? 😂 He runs well when he scrambles he's not a zone read runner at least not in the NFL. He's a slow starter at this point for sure but it's ridiculous writing him off after 3.5 starts. No one knows what he is yet. How come he couldn't fix his mechanics his first few years but Jeff Christensen does it in a matter of weeks? This team wasn't interested in developing him at all. They thought they could just plug him in and he'd be good. This team always goes for the shortcut with QB's. I hope Brock really is the real deal but man they moved off Trey real fast after not knowing what they have yet.

They know what they had, that's why they brought in Darnold. You say he's only had 4 games, but how many more than four games was Trey even ready to be in? Time ran out on Trey, his contract, paired with his lack of progress, mainly due to injuries, made it time to move on. The f**k up was completely on the front end. They never should have drafted Trey, but I bet they just liked him so much as a person that they didn't dig deep enough into the player and his skillset.
Trey barely got a chance and was forced to sit his rookie year. This team wasn't all in on him from the get go. They didn't know what QB to take in the draft. This whole situation is and was a disaster.

b******t. He had the team handed to him, without competition. He wasn't close to ready his rookie year, he wasn't ready this year. I am in this thread early on in support of drafting him, I thought he'd be ready after a year behind Jimmy. He wasn't though, and it was pretty obvious to me. The biggest mistake the niners made was trading up in a draft with no players worth trading up for. I applaud them for recognizing their mistake and moving on. It was great they got a fourth for Trey, nobody expected that kind of return on him considering how poorly he played.

Can you point to a top 5 drafted QB who actually had to "earn" his starting job? Does one even exist?

Can you point to where I said that wasn't normal? I'm just shutting down the b******t about Trey not getting a chance. Which is complete bs.

I dont believe Trey got a chance to prove one way or another if he is going to be good or bad. I dont know how thats debatable either. Its not that he wasnt given a chance, he was. There are two different things. The coaches gave him 1 good chance. Injury took that away from him. I think when you read someone say "he never got a chance" its not so much saying he wasnt given a chance as much as injury took that chance away. But thats my interpretation, and I assume thats different than yours. Just trying to point out a different way of looking at it.
Originally posted by tankle104:
So is dak like Dallas's jimmy? Where they do a solid job have limitations and the fan base is super split on them causing wars? Lmao

Truthfully, I'd take jimmy over dak, but they're very similar QBs performance wise. Dak is a little more dynamic with his ability but jimmy is more efficient.

I agree they are on a similar tier, but you would be hard pressed to find any football fans (outside of THIS thread) or football analysts that would take Jimmy over Dak.
Trey barely got a chance and was forced to sit his rookie year. This team wasn't all in on him from the get go. They didn't know what QB to take in the draft. This whole situation is and was a disaster.

Can you point to a top 5 drafted QB who actually had to "earn" his starting job? Does one even exist?

Can you point to where I said that wasn't normal? I'm just shutting down the b******t about Trey not getting a chance. Which is complete bs.

I dont believe Trey got a chance to prove one way or another if he is going to be good or bad. I dont know how thats debatable either. Its not that he wasnt given a chance, he was. There are two different things. The coaches gave him 1 good chance. Injury took that away from him. I think when you read someone say "he never got a chance" its not so much saying he wasnt given a chance as much as injury took that chance away. But thats my interpretation, and I assume thats different than yours. Just trying to point out a different way of looking at it.
if Lance performed like Brock in those games between injuries then it would be a different story today. But after 2.5 years and 3 camps, he has shown he needs more time
Originally posted by tankle104:

I agree they are on a similar tier, but you would be hard pressed to find any football fans (outside of THIS thread) or football analysts that would take Jimmy over Dak.

Both unreliable when it matters most, the playoffs. Which is one of the worst traits a QB can have in my opinion. Dak has one good game and it was against the Bucs last year, which they were an awful team that had really been checked out since the whoopin we gave em. They seemed like they couldn't wait for the season to end.

I'd take Brock over both of them because I liked what Brock showed in the playoffs over what I've seen from dak or jimmy ever in the playoffs. I think we are in great hands, I'm very excited about it.

Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Originally posted by bigpete50:
I'm starting to become annoyed with many of Niner Nation. Almost reminds me of the old saying "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned." It's a perfect analogy of what's happening post Trey trade.

Now we have all the Trey fans sitting on their hands waiting for the season to start so they can criticize every Purdy interception or poor play call by Kyle. Problem is there are a ton of these punks happy to sabotage our season to prove a point.

It is like a pack of angry women and it's sad to see. My advice? Grow a pair. Trey is now a Cowboy. Time to move on! Mistakes happen. Niners made a big mistake with Trey. Everyone knows this by now. Time to move on and look ahead. Still upset Trey was traded? Take a deep breath and let it go!

He was never going to fit into this offense. Niners tried, Niners failed. What else do you guys want to hear? Accept it and don't be a pack of women out for vengeance. Trust me, it's not a good look!

I think I speak for a lot of posters that believed Jimmy's level of play would not result in a championship, specifically in the playoffs.

The moment the last pick in the draft came in and immediately put up numbers comparable to the best QBs in the league, that belief that we needed an upgrade was justified.

Go back and look at the thread last season which asked "is our season over" after Jimmy's injury and you'll see most of the posters who were pessimistic were huge supporters of Jimmy, not Trey. Now they act like they've believed in Brock all along, but in reality they just didn't believe in Trey or trust Kyle to win without Jimmy.

Hence, the Trey vs Brock thing was always overblown on this forum, because that was not the main divide in this fanbase.

What it was, was the group of posters that believed since 2017 the Jimmy G was a large portion of our success, due to Kyle's record with and without him vs fans that knew this team was all around talented, and they win outside the QB position more than any team and an upgrade to the QB position was the most important thing we needed to put us over the top.

I was a believer in Trey, and I'm a much bigger believer in Purdy now. Which seems to contradict your framework.

It couldn't have been due to the fact Purdy was Mr Irrelevant and a rookie. Something that had never been done before. But I get it, you have a narrative to push, so go on lol

It's not narrative pushing to acknowledge that.

And its not a conspiracy to say the harshest critics of Kyle Shanahan were some of the biggest believers in Jimmy. That's just reality. Again, some people really bought into the idea that Kyle couldn't win without Jimmy. I assume because that was the narrative pushed by most NFL shows, ESPN, NFL Network... and so on.

They go hand in hand IMO.

Now, it wouldn't be accurate to say everyone who was a huge fan of Jimmy thought our season was over, absolutely not. There were fans who believed Trey would be the future that thought our season was over, and vice versa.

Am I generalizing, of course.. but is it accurate to say? Yes.

using that as supporting evidence makes it come across as narrative pushing. Purdy was a rookie. Last pick in the draft. Nobody had an idea what we had at that point. I really liked what I saw in the dolphins game, and really thought we had something. But I don't blame others for not being sold right away. It's silly to use that as evidence for not believing in Lance or Kyle winning without Jimmy.

And posters didn't believe Kyle couldn't win without Jimmy. That's more narrative pushing. It was more like posters believed Kyle was more likely to win with Jimmy than any other option he had at his disposal up to that point. And the proof is in the pudding. So I don't see anything wrong with that. I'm sure if we had traded for Brady or Rodgers, or any proven QB, nobody would be hesitant in Kyle winning without Jimmy.
Who's more likely to blame the OL or coaching for the SB or NFC championship loss, someone who thought highly of our QB play, or someone who didn't? I'll wait.

But, however you slice it, many fans this offseason have tried to make this Brock vs Trey argument. I can show you post after post of replies I got where someone assumed I wanted Trey to start over Brock… simply because I defended Trey. That was never the case. It was pure projection on their part.

And in those posts, I never once claimed to know Trey would be a good QB, I just defended him against claims that were and still are unknowable. Like assuming he was in Hawaii not working out due to a social media post, or claiming the team hated him, or that Kyle hated him, or pretending to know the context of the team meeting during the 2022 offseason.

There's a reason why I criticize Faithful6 and not Hysterikal for example. Hysterikal made a "Trey is trash" joke, yet he's always held QBs to the same standard. He mocks everyone when it's appropriate and doesn't get defensive towards criticism about someone he likes. My issue is with posters who cried wolf about Jimmy for years, making everything about "haterism" towards their QB, and yet they turn around and do worse to Trey. Mocking him, calling him nicknames, all the stuff they would blow a gasket if it was against Jimmy. It's absolutely hypocritical whether you want to acknowledge that or not. But of course you don't because you fall into that category.

I made an unbiased poll about "who holds the offense back more" with Jimmy and Kyle the only options.

It was an incredibly simplistic question, even a dumb question, but what it's not was biased.

Yet you claimed it was hatred towards Jimmy, along with many others, yet not one poster claimed it was hatred towards Kyle. And Kyle was leading in votes for several days.
Originally posted by Koldo:
Originally posted by boast:
No s**t he wasn't ready because he only played one year of college football in a small school. He showed flashes in the limited action he was in. The problem I have with this situation is moving off him after not even seeing a full season from him. It's not his fault they moved up and drafted him. He needed to go to a spot where the organization was gonna grow with him and go through his up's and downs. How the f**k the niners didn't scout him properly and realize he needed some time is beyond me.

everyone keeps ignoring that a global pandemic lockdown preceded the '21 NFL Draft. new rules, shortened /cancelled season, opt-outs and the cancellation of the 2021 Combine all affected the normal scouting processes.

So it was basically the worst possible time to make the kind of trade ShanaLynch did.

This and This,
Who's more likely to blame the OL or coaching for the SB or NFC championship loss, someone who thought highly of our QB play, or someone who didn't? I'll wait.

But, however you slice it, many fans this offseason have tried to make this Brock vs Trey argument. I can show you post after post of replies I got where someone assumed I wanted Trey to start over Brock… simply because I defended Trey. That was never the case. It was pure projection on their part.

And in those posts, I never once claimed to know Trey would be a good QB, I just defended him against claims that were and still are unknowable. Like assuming he was in Hawaii not working out due to a social media post, or claiming the team hated him, or that Kyle hated him, or pretending to know the context of the team meeting during the 2022 offseason.

There's a reason why I criticize Faithful6 and not Hysterikal for example. Hysterikal made a "Trey is trash" joke, yet he's always held QBs to the same standard. He mocks everyone when it's appropriate and doesn't get defensive towards criticism about someone he likes. My issue is with posters who cried wolf about Jimmy for years, making everything about "haterism" towards their QB, and yet they turn around and do worse to Trey. Mocking him, calling him nicknames, all the stuff they would blow a gasket if it was against Jimmy. It's absolutely hypocritical whether you want to acknowledge that or not. But of course you don't because you fall into that category.

I made an unbiased poll about "who holds the offense back more" with Jimmy and Kyle the only options.

It was an incredibly simplistic question, even a dumb question, but what it's not was biased.

Yet you claimed it was hatred towards Jimmy, along with many others, yet not one poster claimed it was hatred towards Kyle. And Kyle was leading in votes for several days.

If you did that poll now there would still be a large contingent voting Kyle.
ESPNs Darlington assessment of Kyle re: Trey, is so far off the mark that it is goofy. I am about 98% certain Trey went to Kyle and said "Please trade me. I am not starting here and i have to get some planting time or my NFL career will be just that Not For Long. Darlington just flat out missed that angle. '

Did kyle goof with the 3 firsts, a 3rd and a 5th ? Hell yeah. Worse was his invisible playing experience of one entire college yr and that was it. Nobody will ever convince anyone that was a good move. It wasn't. But a worse move would have been to keep Trey here another yr…or two …with HIS injury hx. Just like JG, his biggest liability was ability to play. And equal to injuries, was the inexperience , so Darlington missed on this by a mile. II has been reported, altho i couldn't document it that Trey in fact DID go to kyle and ask for a trade.

typical espn
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
ESPNs Darlington assessment of Kyle re: Trey, is so far off the mark that it is goofy. I am about 98% certain Trey went to Kyle and said "Please trade me. I am not starting here and i have to get some planting time or my NFL career will be just that Not For Long. Darlington just flat out missed that angle. '

Did kyle goof with the 3 firsts, a 3rd and a 5th ? Hell yeah. Worse was his invisible playing experience of one entire college yr and that was it. Nobody will ever convince anyone that was a good move. It wasn't. But a worse move would have been to keep Trey here another yr…or two …with HIS injury hx. Just like JG, his biggest liability was ability to play. And equal to injuries, was the inexperience , so Darlington missed on this by a mile. II has been reported, altho i couldn't document it that Trey in fact DID go to kyle and ask for a trade.

typical espn
It's 100% Lance asked for the Treyd
Share 49ersWebzone