49ers bounce back from consecutive losses with decisive 30-13 win over Patriots →

There are 471 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
"Shanahan admits 49ers selecting Lance was a 'mistake'"

https://sports.yahoo.com/shanahan-admits-49ers-selecting-lance-010235991.html

There you have it, the final verdict on the Trey Lance Experiment in San Fran

I could have told Shanny this two years ago and saved him and us 9er fans a lot of trouble

Question is, can Kyle overcome it? and win a SB in spite of it.

Shanny will be fine, but will the Trey fans overcome it?

Lol most of us who wanted the QB we spent 3 first round picks on to succeed have already moved on. How's the raider forum going though? People like you there yet? Do you write poetry about Jimmy every day on there?

I think every fan wanted him to do well. There was hope for a Mahomes style year 2 leap, even if this was not realistic, more of a wildest dreams type scenario. We all were hoping, it didn't come to reality, despite us trying to speak it into existence. it is, what it is. Like Shanny says, we were hoping he was ready year 2, and he wasn't. Something along those lines, so we move on.. The debates are a lil funny in hindsight, cuz you have a dude who could at least play at a QB1 level getting criticized, and the same ppl were talking about the greatness of a guy who can't play at all.
I think every fan wanted him to do well. There was hope for a Mahomes style year 2 leap, even if this was not realistic, more of a wildest dreams type scenario. We all were hoping, it didn't come to reality, despite us trying to speak it into existence. it is, what it is. Like Shanny says, we were hoping he was ready year 2, and he wasn't. Something along those lines, so we move on.. The debates are a lil funny in hindsight, cuz you have a dude who could at least play at a QB1 level getting criticized, and the same ppl were talking about the greatness of a guy who can't play at all.

Yah those people predicting mvp level play look pretty bad don't they.
Originally posted by bewdynewk:
Originally posted by RiceOwensStokes:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
lol imagine if we meet them again in the playoffs and other qbs are injured and Trey comes in and beats us lololol.... the laughing stock of the NFL would be us

I wouldn't count on it, lol.

It would not suprise me at all if, some time between now and the next 15 years that Brock and Trey play in a Superbowl. Possibly against each other. They're young and their careers have barely started. The clock is ticking. I understand the decision to trade Trey and have accepted that he was a victim of circumstance. He broke his ankle and lost he chance and the arrival of Brock sealed his fate. F*&k the Cowboys.

Lol Trey won't be in the league in two years. He never will have what Brock has. He still can't read a defense and won't be learning that skill anytime soon. He was a gimmick pick and a mistake. Shannan admits he was a mistake now. Texas won't be a better place for him. You need to move on,
Originally posted by Goatie:
Originally posted by bewdynewk:
Originally posted by RiceOwensStokes:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
lol imagine if we meet them again in the playoffs and other qbs are injured and Trey comes in and beats us lololol.... the laughing stock of the NFL would be us

I wouldn't count on it, lol.

It would not suprise me at all if, some time between now and the next 15 years that Brock and Trey play in a Superbowl. Possibly against each other. They're young and their careers have barely started. The clock is ticking. I understand the decision to trade Trey and have accepted that he was a victim of circumstance. He broke his ankle and lost he chance and the arrival of Brock sealed his fate. F*&k the Cowboys.

Lol Trey won't be in the league in two years. He never will have what Brock has. He still can't read a defense and won't be learning that skill anytime soon. He was a gimmick pick and a mistake. Shannan admits he was a mistake now. Texas won't be a better place for him. You need to move on,

This + 1

glad Shanahan ripped that bandaid

I could have told Shanny this two years ago and saved him and us 9er fans a lot of trouble

Lol most of us who wanted the QB we spent 3 first round picks on to succeed have already moved on. How's the raider forum going though? People like you there yet? Do you write poetry about Jimmy every day on there?

Lmao you know that's complete bs.

Lmao you know that's complete bs.

He did specify fan. Anyone who roots for a high draft pick to fail on "their team" isn't really a fan of that team.
Change thread name to "Petty Poop Flinging Thread."
I think Trey is insurance for Dak. They like Cooper Rush but at his best he is not a #1 QB. Dak has 2 years left on his contract and they have to pay both Lamb and Parson's within the next 2 years. That gives Dak a 2 year window to show he can atleast get his team to the NFC championship or they will not extend him. If they like what they see from Trey this season in meetings and practices they will make him the #2 next season. They won't pick up his 5th year option but they might re-sign him if he keeps improving and they don't want to re-sign Dak. They get a much younger and much cheaper QB with a huge upside. They won't be able to get that in free agency or the draft because they won't be drafting that high.

Now Kyle and John and most Niner fans are hoping he never becomes the Cowboys #1 QB because that means he earned it and has developed nicely which would be a bad look for the Niners organization. Especially if Brock turns out to not be the guy they expected him to be. Because the Niners didn't have to move off Trey for the next 2 years. Imagine if Trey turns out to be great and the Niners let him go because they wanted Sam Darnold?

Now it is a possibility that Trey never turns out to be good but it's not out of the realm of possibilities that he could be great. He is only 23 and hasn't had enough playing time to determine what he will or will not be. Like JL said his story is still unwritten.
Originally posted by JTB1974:
I think Trey is insurance for Dak. They like Cooper Rush but at his best he is not a #1 QB. Dak has 2 years left on his contract and they have to pay both Lamb and Parson's within the next 2 years. That gives Dak a 2 year window to show he can atleast get his team to the NFC championship or they will not extend him. If they like what they see from Trey this season in meetings and practices they will make him the #2 next season. They won't pick up his 5th year option but they might re-sign him if he keeps improving and they don't want to re-sign Dak. They get a much younger and much cheaper QB with a huge upside. They won't be able to get that in free agency or the draft because they won't be drafting that high.

Now Kyle and John and most Niner fans are hoping he never becomes the Cowboys #1 QB because that means he earned it and has developed nicely which would be a bad look for the Niners organization. Especially if Brock turns out to not be the guy they expected him to be. Because the Niners didn't have to move off Trey for the next 2 years. Imagine if Trey turns out to be great and the Niners let him go because they wanted Sam Darnold?

Now it is a possibility that Trey never turns out to be good but it's not out of the realm of possibilities that he could be great. He is only 23 and hasn't had enough playing time to determine what he will or will not be. Like JL said his story is still unwritten.

Story unwritten, but KS and JL not wanting to finish the book, speaks volumes. Time for us to turn the page, go on to the next chapter.
So the guy who showed he could do it won't be able to keep doing it, but the guy who couldn't will?

Originally posted by eric_anthony:
When you invest 3 ones, you are all in. He had bad luck with injuries. He wasn't ready to play year 1 or 2 or 3. Gotta be able to play part of that is reliability, which JG ran into also, part of that is can you perform?

You spend that much to get him you should play him year 1 and see what you have. Kyle had no problem playing him against ARI and then later against the Texans. Even while having a broken finger. They botched his development big time and he shouldn't have been drafted by them. They were on two different timelines.

they knew he was raw and would take time because of lack of overall football experience. and they had the luxury of Jimmy G.

Kyle had no problem playing him because Jimmy was injured.

revisionist history much?

it's also not his fault, or theirs he got hurt. s**t happens.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
McCarthy already noticing lances s**ttyness. I don't care how many reps he hasn't had, footwork should have already been perfected and it wasn't.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2023/08/31/cowboys-mike-mccarthy-describes-first-impression-trey-lance-with-brilliant-movie-reference

Very hard working," McCarthy said of Lance on Thursday morning. "We have a quarterback meeting room area. He's pretty much kind of taken it over. The grease boards look like '[A] Beautiful Mind.' …We just need to work on the extra things, particularly in the area of footwork."

JTO was right. "Lance made shanahan want to punch himself in the face."

where did he say this?
Originally posted by Sanfran_chrisco:

where did he say this?

In his breakdown video... but again JT O'Turnover over critiques players in his videos imo. Lots of after the fact stuff. Expecting players (not just QBs) to do physically impossible things to justify his point. "This player could have done this.. blah blah"... knowing damn well he couldn't do that s**t.

I love his "I would have personally done this on this play" bs.... like many of us have watched him play... and not just with the 9ers.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Sep 1, 2023 at 5:32 PM ]
Originally posted by eric_anthony:
When you invest 3 ones, you are all in. He had bad luck with injuries. He wasn't ready to play year 1 or 2 or 3. Gotta be able to play part of that is reliability, which JG ran into also, part of that is can you perform?

You spend that much to get him you should play him year 1 and see what you have. Kyle had no problem playing him against ARI and then later against the Texans. Even while having a broken finger. They botched his development big time and he shouldn't have been drafted by them. They were on two different timelines.

they knew he was raw and would take time because of lack of overall football experience. and they had the luxury of Jimmy G.

Kyle had no problem playing him because Jimmy was injured.

revisionist history much?

it's also not his fault, or theirs he got hurt. s**t happens.

Mike McCarthy to Lance

Originally posted by Afrikan:

where did he say this?

In his breakdown video... but again JT O'Turnover over critiques players in his videos imo. Lots of after the fact stuff. Expecting players (not just QBs) to do physically impossible things to justify his point. "This player could have done this.. blah blah"... knowing damn well he couldn't do that s**t.

I love his "I would have personally done this on this play" bs.... like many of us have watched him play... and not just with the 9ers.

think it was in reference to all the turn downs v raiders

Plays were there to be made and JTO was calling him out for hesitating and refusing to throw easy layups difficulty passes that were wide open from a scheme perspective
Share 49ersWebzone