There are 524 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Afrikan:
In his breakdown video... but again JT O'Turnover over critiques players in his videos imo. Lots of after the fact stuff. Expecting players (not just QBs) to do physically impossible things to justify his point. "This player could have done this.. blah blah"... knowing damn well he couldn't do that s**t.

I love his "I would have personally done this on this play" bs.... like many of us have watched him play... and not just with the 9ers.

Always funny to see his videos. "Dog....throw it bro". "I don't know how the 49ers teach this but I would say it's horrendous, dog"

Not saying he has zero knowledge, just don't care much for his analysis style
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Sanfran_chrisco:
Originally posted by eric_anthony:
When you invest 3 ones, you are all in. He had bad luck with injuries. He wasn't ready to play year 1 or 2 or 3. Gotta be able to play part of that is reliability, which JG ran into also, part of that is can you perform?

You spend that much to get him you should play him year 1 and see what you have. Kyle had no problem playing him against ARI and then later against the Texans. Even while having a broken finger. They botched his development big time and he shouldn't have been drafted by them. They were on two different timelines.

they knew he was raw and would take time because of lack of overall football experience. and they had the luxury of Jimmy G.

Kyle had no problem playing him because Jimmy was injured.

revisionist history much?

it's also not his fault, or theirs he got hurt. s**t happens.

Mike McCarthy to Lance

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Furlow:
When you invest 3 ones, you are all in. He had bad luck with injuries. He wasn't ready to play year 1 or 2 or 3. Gotta be able to play part of that is reliability, which JG ran into also, part of that is can you perform?

You spend that much to get him you should play him year 1 and see what you have. Kyle had no problem playing him against ARI and then later against the Texans. Even while having a broken finger. They botched his development big time and he shouldn't have been drafted by them. They were on two different timelines.

they knew he was raw and would take time because of lack of overall football experience. and they had the luxury of Jimmy G.

Mike McCarthy to Lance

Originally posted by Kolohe:

Mike McCarthy to Lance

Mike McCarthy to Lance

The worst trade in NFL history.

Trey not reading/seeing the field was one of the major red flags we identified during the draft process. It's unlikely that s**t ever gets fixed.
[ Edited by Heroism on Sep 2, 2023 at 10:26 AM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:

Trey not reading/seeing the field was one of the major red flags we identified during the draft process. It's unlikely that s**t ever gets fixed.

I'm of the belief that there are certain aspects of playing QB that need to come naturally, like ability to progress through reads, instincts to react quickly to that stuff, and accuracy. I know you can improve on it but I think you need to naturally be good at it to become great at it.

i think that's what defines a "game manager", being limited as the qb. So I've always viewed lances ceiling as being a good game manager.
Originally posted by tankle104:

I'm of the belief that there are certain aspects of playing QB that need to come naturally, like ability to progress through reads, instincts to react quickly to that stuff, and accuracy. I know you can improve on it but I think you need to naturally be good at it to become great at it.

i think that's what defines a "game manager", being limited as the qb. So I've always viewed lances ceiling as being a good game manager.

It took me awhile to accept this, but its clear Justin Fields was never in the running. I wonder what did they see in Trey that they didn't see in Fields. I was so convinced he was the guy they traded up for and when you thinking about the way Shanahan was using Trey in 2021 and 2022, I think Fields would've been more successful. Not necessarily doing those power runs, but if we are talking designed runs or the QB just taking off, Fields > Lance.

I got on board for all.the reasons they said, but I'm curious as to how they really determined Lance edged out Fields. Maybe they figured because of lack of experience he was more likelyto grow into what they needed.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by tankle104:

It took me awhile to accept this, but its clear Justin Fields was never in the running. I wonder what did they see in Trey that they didn't see in Fields. I was so convinced he was the guy they traded up for and when you thinking about the way Shanahan was using Trey in 2021 and 2022, I think Fields would've been more successful. Not necessarily doing those power runs, but if we are talking designed runs or the QB just taking off, Fields > Lance.

I got on board for all.the reasons they said, but I'm curious as to how they really determined Lance edged out Fields. Maybe they figured because of lack of experience he was more likelyto grow into what they needed.

I liked fields the most, I really thought we were going to take him. Everything kyle said he wanted - 11-11 football rtc. Fields was the obvious choice. I'd love to hear why he never considered him. I really thought it was between mac and fields - I didn't even think Lance was in the equation, for obvious reasons. Lol barely any film, so you can't even really evaluate him, inexperienced, mediocre mechanics, I didn't like this throwing motion, I didn't think he was very fast - he's athletic but not enough to play 11-11. I've always felt this way about Lance.

im not bitter about the situation, I just still can't wrap my head around why they thought Lance was a good decision. It was so recklessly irresponsible of a gamble, just ridiculous.

we really are lucky Brock has done well so far because we would be in either 1 of 2 situations, most likely. Either we would have darnold starting right now or we would of traded for cousins and have to lose good players to make it work. Just an absolute nightmare. Lol

i am a big Brock fan though, I'm super excited about him and I think moving off of Lance was the right decision. I think we move off of Lance regardless. I don't see the team continuing to bank on him because they were over him and his stunted development.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Sep 2, 2023 at 11:19 AM ]

Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:

Mike McCarthy to Lance

Trey is the same guy he was when we drafted him. Dude could never see the field.

For whatever inexplicable reason, Trey opts to pass on the wide-open hitch to his TE and goes to the wide side of a field for significantly harder throw, a worse option and what would be a 100% INT in the NFL. These are the type of plays that are red flags. Is he seeing the field well? I'm not sure.

Trey Lance was rarely under pressure, so this one is a bit alarming. UCA blitz 0. Where's your hot? Why are you looking left? His hot is the shallow route coming from the right. Why are you looking to the opposite side? Dude drops his eyes under pressure and just bails...

Right, that's the overarching issue with Lance. Nobody knows what they're getting because of his lack of reps due to COVID. What's terrifying to me is how bad he looked in this 2020 game. He could have easily thrown 3 INTs, one for pick six. His ball placement was all over the place, he made bad decisions, and he just looked sloppy and lazy. That throw on the previous page where he's staring at his TE with the nearest defender about 5 yards away from him and opts to not throw him the ball is definitely worrisome. Footwork can be fixed and ball placement can improve with the aforementioned, but if you can't see the field, we've got a problem. If you listen to KNBR around here, you're very familiar with Greg Papa always talking about how some QBs simply don't see the field, and that's something almost never improves enough to overcome the shortcoming. That's not good.
[ Edited by Heroism on Sep 2, 2023 at 11:32 AM ]

is that what your going to be doing in this thread going forward? finding random Youtube videos here and there of someone trying to make a name for themselves analyzing one video and making a click bait proclamation?

what a life to live.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Sep 2, 2023 at 1:21 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

is that what your going to be doing in this thread going forward? finding random Youtube videos here and there of someone trying to make a name for themselves analyzing one video and making a click bait proclamation?

what a life to live.

There's always the ignore feature.

what a life to live.

There's always the ignore feature.

no you're right...

you only get 20 slots though, but that should be enough. I'm noticing some on my list don't post anymore, curious if they just created new accounts.

I'll let Faithful respond...then go from there.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Sep 2, 2023 at 2:29 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone