There are 160 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by tankle104:
Yeah the Vikings aren't a very good team. They aren't bad but no where near a contender. Depending on how JJ looks, I'd probably just play him. He comes from a pro style offense anyways and has a great safety blanket in Jefferson.

imo, you either play sam for a little to acclimate JJ and then make the swap or you just ride with JJ the whole year (hopefully injury) and see how he grows. Starting Sam really shouldn't be much of a thought.

i doubt Sam thought they were taking a qb on the first round when he signed there, it's essentially guaranteed he won't have a chance at revitalizing himself like baker did.

Agreed. Unless its a situation where JJ is so terrible and/or getting the absolute s**t beat out of him to the point of confidence loss, there's no way he shouldn't be playing.

You'd have to have seen some previous conversations with Faithful around high drafted QBs and the teams around them to really understand why this is a funny argument, at least specifically with the Vikings.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
If Caleb is at all functional I don't see how the Vikes aren't last in the division.

Agreed again. Hitting on what I was getting at in my last post.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
I question if you know my criteria. My only thesis I have stated is if I am taking over some talent poor team, like NE let's say, I probably don't draft a QB. So they failed in my book. They probably could have traded out of 3 and gotten a haul and built up the team. That's my preference.

Wanting to profit from a rook QB contract isn't 'my criteria' it's basic salary cap math. As for sitting a QB, I don't view that as a wasted year, for the team or the player. What is your bet?

if the quarterback isn't rolling and the team isn't competing after that first year though, then it's a problem right?

Not in Green Bay
MIN is a great example of a team that is built taking a QB and being able to capitalize on that situation. I expect the rook plays very well or Sam plays and does well if McCarthy isn't ready or is a dud. Great landing spot for a QB, which is when you want to take one, and notice they got their QB pretty early and one of the top prospects.

So now it's well you can take a qb high it should just be outside the top 10 as long as you have the roster around it.

Appears to be quite the moving goalpost
So to be clear the Bears would've been better off trading out of 1 and getting a draft haul and signing Sam then doing what they did correct?
MIN is a great example of a team that is built taking a QB and being able to capitalize on that situation. I expect the rook plays very well or Sam plays and does well if McCarthy isn't ready or is a dud. Great landing spot for a QB, which is when you want to take one, and notice they got their QB pretty early and one of the top prospects.

So now it's well you can take a qb high it should just be outside the top 10 as long as you have the roster around it.

Appears to be quite the moving goalpost

My point is I like how Shanny and MCDC did it, they both had deep rebuilds, and neither took QB in the draft to start it off. MIN isn't doing a deep rebuild. They are way beyond 2017 SF in my view. It's not the first year for O'Connell either. I'm bullish on their offense.
Not in Green Bay

Ok, but you are only getting two years in which to compete around that cheap contract… isn't that a problem in your mind?

Obviously Green Bay competed during his first few years, but that was because they had the MVP of the league at QB. They also arguably subverted their chances of winning those years and could have added elsewhere.

Probably not the best comparison. Certainly not for your theory if you want to be consistent.
So to be clear the Bears would've been better off trading out of 1 and getting a draft haul and signing Sam then doing what they did correct?

He's argued that a bunch. Of course the thinking behind that argument was weighted more to the idea that it's just too much risk to draft a QB with such a valuable asset when there's such a high chance of missing.
Not in Green Bay

Ok, but you are only getting two years in which to compete around that cheap contract… isn't that a problem in your mind?

Obviously Green Bay competed during his first few years, but that was because they had the MVP of the league at QB. They also arguably subverted their chances of winning those years and could have added elsewhere.

Probably not the best comparison. Certainly not for your theory if you want to be consistent.

I think Pack fans are probably very pleased with how things are going. And that's QB at the back end of round 1. I like that way of doing business. There doesn't have to be hard and fast rules. GB is more patient at QB than perhaps all clubs and it seems to work well for them.
I think Pack fans are probably very pleased with how things are going. And that's QB at the back end of round 1. I like that way of doing business. There doesn't have to be hard and fast rules. GB is more patient at QB than perhaps all clubs and it seems to work well for them.

So it's not a problem then to waste multiple years of a rookie QB contract provided the QB ends up being good down the road.

It's almost as if it's just important to have a good QB.

Originally posted by lamontb:
Agreed

At least, from their end, there was never a serious thought to do that… hence the JJ pick.

They may ease JJ in instead of starting him day 1. Sam can just start the season and move to back up. If JJ is not ready let Sam play the first year since the Vikings are definitely not going anywhere this year.

We did that with Alex Smith until he was ready. i think Rattay started and then Alex took over.
Originally posted by dhp318:
No one wanted to hear it, but as soon as it happened I posted that it was arguably the worst trade ever just because there wasn't even a player they had in mind

Being that the Panthers have already given up the 9th overall, 1st overall, a 2, an established pro bowl level receiver and still owe a 2nd it's already been beaten.

Now thar you lay it out like that, yeah if Bryce doesn't work out, it's far worse. Shocking that our trade could be topped so soon.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Now thar you lay it out like that, yeah if Bryce doesn't work out, it's far worse. Shocking that our trade could be topped so soon.

Can't undersell the idea that we seemingly avoided the real disaster consequences by finding a competent QB in the next draft and bringing back a successful veteran in Jimmy, to a lesser extent.

Not only would it have been a waste of a large amount of assets but it could have slammed our window shut without some roster overhaul and bringing in a QB through trade or FA.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Apr 29, 2024 at 5:23 PM ]
So it's not a problem then to waste multiple years of a rookie QB contract provided the QB ends up being good down the road.

It's almost as if it's just important to have a good QB.

Exactly. Maybe I'm a lil burnt on this whole Lance situation. I didn't like moving up to 3 at the time and even moreso now
Exactly. Maybe I'm a lil burnt on this whole Lance situation. I didn't like moving up to 3 at the time and even moreso now

That's fine. I agree. I'm wondering why this is not the quintessential example of how your team building theory can work against itself.

The reason I am highlighting the wasted rookie years is because you said this as part of the argument against drafting a QB high on a team that wasn't ready to compete:

'That is partially my point, if the team is uncompetitive for 2 years okay you just threw away a big part of the rook QB advantage, which is competing on the rook contract. You put the QB first, ahead of team building. I don't agree with it.'
Share 49ersWebzone