There are 139 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Mike Nolan may pounce

Lol. I honestly had to google where the dude even was.

I remain steadfast that a Spring developmental league would help guys like Lance. And if there was a 49er affiliated spring league team with our players, I would be interested. NFL should have a spring minor leagues in this fashion.
I remain steadfast that a Spring developmental league would help guys like Lance. And if there was a 49er affiliated spring league team with our players, I would be interested. NFL should have a spring minor leagues in this fashion.

Definitely think a minor league of some sort would improve quality of play in the NFL. Ideally it could replace quasi-professional college football where development takes a backseat to winning at that level.

That's obviously not happening though.
Cowboys are declining lances fifth year option, shocker.

Definitely think a minor league of some sort would improve quality of play in the NFL. Ideally it could replace quasi-professional college football where development takes a backseat to winning at that level.

It would be huge for grooming lineman too, specifically o lineman. A great place to get reps and work on their form/technique.

im surprised teams don't have decelopment/minor league teams. They should do that and have the ability to pull guys up - essentially the practice squad but way better.

I wonder how MLB can operate and maintain a minor league system, but the NFL cannot for some reason. Is it because the NFL doesn't make the kind of money that MLB does? More games, more ticket sales and more $$$? I always thought the NFL brought in more cash than MLB because of a more lucrative TV deal, but maybe I am mistaken?

I do agree that a developmental league would help players like Trey and others. I don't think it needs to be a spring league either. It could be a fall league with games on Saturday night. Or would that conflict with college football? Games on Tuesday and Wednesday nights then?

MLB obviously subsidizes the minor league system. The minor league teams do make some coin, but not enough to sustain them. Even though the Stockton Ports now charge a ridiculous $8 for a 20 ounce soda, it's not enough.
Originally posted by tankle104:

It would be huge for grooming lineman too, specifically o lineman. A great place to get reps and work on their form/technique.

im surprised teams don't have decelopment/minor league teams. They should do that and have the ability to pull guys up - essentially the practice squad but way better.

I think it may have been an informal agreement with the NCAA that's kept this from happening. It would ruin college ball. Now that the NIL has college football so messed up with all the pay for play going on, the NFL may just go ahead and do this. The problem is would they be able or willing to pay the minor league players more than the alumni are paying the college players. Some are making over a million dollars per year.

I've thought about this at length and always settled on the fact that merely playing competitive adult football you're burning the candle from both ends.

Ultimately you'll be evaluating the survivors and those who have access to quality roids and consultants who tell you how to beat the tests. (Which I guess is like the NFL now lol). Defenders will be looking for big hits to make names for themselves and just about every position, I'd imagine, would be pushing themselves to the furthest extent to try to 'make it'.

This is kind of why I think college is a good farm system and alternate leagues are fine for the castoffs--everyone more or less is on a similar level.

I think it could work with more player safety rules in place in the NFL then those rules emphasized even further in a d-league of sorts. That would take years of the NFL going in its current direction, though.

All straight lofty conjecture, of course.

edit: oh yeah. Lance on his way out. I don't think he ever had a chance. He got paid tens of millions to not be able to play football and will get to ride off into the sunset a wealthy man. I shed no tears for him.
[ Edited by TyCore on May 2, 2024 at 8:33 AM ]
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

I think it may have been an informal agreement with the NCAA that's kept this from happening. It would ruin college ball. Now that the NIL has college football so messed up with all the pay for play going on, the NFL may just go ahead and do this. The problem is would they be able or willing to pay the minor league players more than the alumni are paying the college players. Some are making over a million dollars per year.

Well we are seeing the nba and college ball go through this. They have a solid development league and some players are getting paid a ton in college - I think it just depends on the quality of the development league.

I just feel like the league would not pay much at all to development players, at least not enough to stop top talent from going to college but I think there are tons of 2-3 star talent that would go and several of those guys turn out to be solid nfl players.

I think doing something like a "JV" team, where they play on saturdays (so fans can watch both). It would be great for developing coaches too.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I don't blame them, that option was in the neighborhood of 22 million. Who pays 22 million for a *backup* QB?
Originally posted by pd24:
Is the plan for him to be the Cowboys running back next season?

FB
they got Zeke back

Zeke. Overrated aquisition. Zeke is just old. He's nowhere near the player he once was. He's a plodder. 1.5 yards and eating dirt. I cannot understand why so many writers are wasting ink on the guy, but oh well.

Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by pd24:
Is the plan for him to be the Cowboys running back next season?

FB
they got Zeke back

Zeke. Overrated aquisition. Zeke is just old. He's nowhere near the player he once was. He's a plodder. 1.5 yards and eating dirt. I cannot understand why so many writers are wasting ink on the guy, but oh well.

I am not a Zeke fan and he is definitely trending down. But his 3.5 YPA last year is much better than the 1.5 YPA you are claiming.
Originally posted by billbird2111:

One of the things I observed, is folks maybe just going off stats said Pollard >>> Zeke. Yet when DAL needed the 4th and 1, or the goaline carry, that's Zeke into a packed front. Meanwhile, Pollard getting the 3rd and 18 draw play that gives 12 yds and a punt. And ppl said oh Pollard is better, well he wasn't asked to do the tough running. Last year, Pollard went from like 5.2 to 4.0 ypc. I thought that was probably predictable, it's about having different runners for different situations. Now Zeke is getting up there but his career is way better than Pollard. I think DAL kinda waiving the white flag on Pollard's ability to get the tough yds that isn't him.
Originally posted by Giedi:

I don't blame them, that option was in the neighborhood of 22 million. Who pays 22 million for a *backup* QB?

I know, I'm just playing around. It's insane that he's going into his fourth year and still barely played.

it's actually impressive that he's this long and far into his career has such few attempts, as someone who was taken so high. At least it seems like he will have a long career as a backup.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

NIL payments are pretty much making the NCAA a minor league already
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
NIL payments are pretty much making the NCAA a minor league already

The key difference would be an actual minor league system would be grooming players for their major league parent club. Winning games wouldn't be the primary concern as it is in college football.
Share 49ersWebzone