There are 131 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
NIL payments are pretty much making the NCAA a minor league already

The key difference would be an actual minor league system would be grooming players for their major league parent club. Winning games wouldn't be the primary concern as it is in college football.

Which the main focus of "winning games" ends up hurting a lot of players development cause teams just take advantage of how great of athletes these guys are and don't worry too much about honing their skills. Not always but a lot of the time. That's how it was with a coach like urban Meyer. Saban did a great job developing guys, so does Georgia, but not many programs outside of that. USC for example, sucks at developing great talent the last 10 years.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Which the main focus of "winning games" ends up hurting a lot of players development cause teams just take advantage of how great of athletes these guys are and don't worry too much about honing their skills. Not always but a lot of the time. That's how it was with a coach like urban Meyer. Saban did a great job developing guys, so does Georgia, but not many programs outside of that. USC for example, sucks at developing great talent the last 10 years.

Agreed
Everyone on here knows how I felt about Trey, mainly that picking him was dumb cause of where we were as an organization and where he was from a development standpoint - It didn't make any sense, but I just would like to see him go to another team than Dallas and get some playing time. He's still young, but still has nearly zero experience. Hopefully a smaller market team where he can go through growing pains without being massacred by their local media.

hard part is that sooo many teams have a young qb that they're trying to develop.
Everyone on here knows how I felt about Trey, mainly that picking him was dumb cause of where we were as an organization and where he was from a development standpoint - It didn't make any sense, but I just would like to see him go to another team than Dallas and get some playing time. He's still young, but still has nearly zero experience. Hopefully a smaller market team where he can go through growing pains without being massacred by their local media.

hard part is that sooo many teams have a young qb that they're trying to develop.

Everybody knew we had to make a move. Our media, national media, other players, our players, our coaches, other coaches, our FO, other FOs, ***most*** of our fans, all other fans...There a few of you still in denial about Jimmy's ability (most have come around though).

I don't blame the FO for that pick. Looking back at it now, the only clear choice QB would've been Lawrence, and even he hasn't lived up to his #1 overall hype. But we had to make a change.

Thankfully we landed with Brock, he's in my eyes at least undoubtedly at top 5-10 QB, and he's clutch. Something we haven't had in A LONG time.

There was nobody else. Fields, he's a slightly less athletic Lamar, and doesn't have anywhere close to Lamar's work ethic. Mac Jones? Lol...

Trey tried, he worked hard as well and was a good teammate, but it's obvious now just how raw he was and the injuries didn't help out at all. It's probably too late for him now, but I wouldn't bet too much on it. He's got the drive and he wouldn't be the first QB to be a late bloomer, rare, but they've happened.
[ Edited by GoreGoreGore on May 2, 2024 at 7:17 PM ]
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:

Everybody knew we had to make a move. Our media, national media, other players, our players, our coaches, other coaches, our FO, other FOs, ***most*** of our fans, all other fans...There a few of you still in denial about Jimmy's ability (most have come around though).

I don't blame the FO for that pick. Looking back at it now, the only clear choice QB would've been Lawrence, and even he hasn't lived up to his #1 overall hype. But we had to make a change.

Thankfully we landed with Brock, he's in my eyes at least undoubtedly at top 5-10 QB, and he's clutch. Something we haven't had in A LONG time.

There was nobody else. Fields, he's a slightly less athletic Lamar, and doesn't have anywhere close to Lamar's work ethic. Mac Jones? Lol...

Trey tried, he worked hard as well and was a good teammate, but it's obvious now just how raw he was and the injuries didn't help out at all. It's probably too late for him now, but I wouldn't bet too much on it. He's got the drive and he wouldn't be the first QB to be a late bloomer, rare, but they've happened.

I personally had no issue with the fact we needed to upgrade from jimmy (I didn't think he was as bad as some claimed but that's been proven wrong from his time in LV), I just thought Trey was the wrong choice. I wanted Jimmy to play over Trey cause I felt like Trey would take years to even be as good as jimmy. As soon as I saw brock, I didn't want to see Jimmy again. There were many issues with selecting Trey, but didn't have anything to do with his physical talent or character. Trey is still super young. It's unlikely but he could still pull off something like Geno smith did.

Out of mac, Trey, and fields - I personally wanted fields. Which would of most likely not worked out either. The only qb from that draft I truly thought that was a stud was Lawrence (which was pretty much a no brainer haha). I never liked Wilson, even though we couldn't of selected him.

i think we got super lucky with brock, I think he has all the right intangibles, like you're saying. Very grateful we ended up where we are. I'll root for Trey when/if he gets a chance to play somewhere unless it's for the cowboys. Lol
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:

I personally had no issue with the fact we needed to upgrade from jimmy (I didn't think he was as bad as some claimed but that's been proven wrong from his time in LV), I just thought Trey was the wrong choice. I wanted Jimmy to play over Trey cause I felt like Trey would take years to even be as good as jimmy. As soon as I saw brock, I didn't want to see Jimmy again. There were many issues with selecting Trey, but didn't have anything to do with his physical talent or character. Trey is still super young. It's unlikely but he could still pull off something like Geno smith did.

Out of mac, Trey, and fields - I personally wanted fields. Which would of most likely not worked out either. The only qb from that draft I truly thought that was a stud was Lawrence (which was pretty much a no brainer haha). I never liked Wilson, even though we couldn't of selected him.

i think we got super lucky with brock, I think he has all the right intangibles, like you're saying. Very grateful we ended up where we are. I'll root for Trey when/if he gets a chance to play somewhere unless it's for the cowboys. Lol

You think? The odds of finding a QB as good as he's been with the last pick in the draft are astronomical.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
You think? The odds of finding a QB as good as he's been with the last pick in the draft are astronomical.

It's crazy how bad of luck we had with QBs for years and then the crazy good luck we got to land Brock.

Brock still has a lot to prove, specifically consistency, but the odds of him being what he's already been is insane
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

It's crazy how bad of luck we had with QBs for years and then the crazy good luck we got to land Brock.

Brock still has a lot to prove, specifically consistency, but the odds of him being what he's already been is insane

Steve Young said that Brock needs to focus on maintaining hs consistency . He does a lot well so he just needs to avoid any down turns. That doesn't mean he can't throw an occasional INT. Every QB does that. Hejust needs to avoid stretches of 3 or 4 games where he doesn't click.
I thought..are ppl still talking about Lance? Only to see ppl talking about Brock mostly haha
Originally posted by Montana:
I thought..are ppl still talking about Lance? Only to see ppl talking about Brock mostly haha

I am. He turns 24 in 5 days. I'm excited to see what he becomes now that he'll be 24. Or are we still using "ONLY"? 🤔

"ONLY 21" Was as dumb as the ball rotation argument.

Originally posted by Montana:

Because of the way things played out, it's nearly impossible to talk about Trey lances time here and not discuss Brock.

we don't know if we would of still stuck with Trey, assuming Brock doesn't ball, but it's possible we give it another year. The rise of Brock is really what generated/solidified (it may of been jimmy's end regardless) the end of JG and Trey's time here. The rise of Brock is what saved this front office from having to deal with the fall out of missing on such a massive trade AND helps sustain the roster because of his salary.

right now, if Trey worked out, we would of been having to pay him a fortune - even if he was just "good", it would of cost us at least $30M a year (IMO). Which would of caused massive disruption to our current roster.

we went from historically bad luck with QB play and injuries to historically lucky with Brock.
[ Edited by tankle104 on May 4, 2024 at 10:18 AM ]
Dude should just retire already.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Dude should just retire already.

He's making $5M+ this year. Lol at least wait another year.
Because of the way things played out, it's nearly impossible to talk about Trey lances time here and not discuss Brock.

we don't know if we would of still stuck with Trey, assuming Brock doesn't ball, but it's possible we give it another year. The rise of Brock is really what generated/solidified (it may of been jimmy's end regardless) the end of JG and Trey's time here. The rise of Brock is what saved this front office from having to deal with the fall out of missing on such a massive trade AND helps sustain the roster because of his salary.

right now, if Trey worked out, we would of been having to pay him a fortune - even if he was just "good", it would of cost us. at least $30M a year (IMO). Which would of caused massive disruption to our current roster.

we went from historically bad luck with QB play and injuries to historically lucky with Brock.

Yeah it was sad seeing him on the sidelines at that Raiders pre-season. Guy looked so out of place, the odd man out, the third wheel, the kid who didn't get picked to play dodgeball in grade school, the outcast quiet dude that sat by himself during school lunch. Lol you knew it was the beginning of the end. I think he knew he was done then..his body language..looked so damn awkward. Poor guy. Hopefully, he takes Dak's job..eventually lol. Then we can make him look like an outcast again jk lolol poor Lance
  • Koldo
  • Veteran
"Plus arm talent"

Share 49ersWebzone