There are 247 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
I'll be shocked if he ever starts meaningful games.

Where would you set the o/u for games started the rest of his career?

Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

I'll take the over on that one, lol. Wouldn't be a large bet.

I'll take the over on that one, lol. Wouldn't be a large bet.

my thoughts, He is losing all his QB2 job comps.

if I were brainstorming ways he may start, maybe DAL says we are paying him $$ and he cost us a draft pick, so Jerry decrees him QB2. Then Dak rolls and ankle. Or DAL has their year go completely sideways and they kick tires on Lance during a lost season. even this stuff, if he looks nonfunctional and lacks confidence in prax, he won't see the field. they may well play the Cooper Rush types ahead of him.

if I were brainstorming ways he may start, maybe DAL says we are paying him $$ and he cost us a draft pick, so Jerry decrees him QB2. Then Dak rolls and ankle. Or DAL has their year go completely sideways and they kick tires on Lance during a lost season. even this stuff, if he looks nonfunctional and lacks confidence in prax, he won't see the field. they may well play the Cooper Rush types ahead of him.

Agree with a lot of this, particularly the idea that it's highly realistic he gets a start or more due to injury at some point in the future. I think the reality is he's not far off from the possibility of being a QB2, even without winning a real competition for the spot.
Trey may very well be better off going the AJ McCarron route and play in the UFL strictly for the playing time aspect. Yes He'll make more money in the pros strictly because his "potential". He's still "only" (I lost track) years old.

He'll never be the QB he wants to be if he continues to ride the pine in the NFL. I would argue He'll never be the QB he wants to be no matter what level he plays but that's another story.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
I'll be shocked if he ever starts meaningful games.

Where would you set the o/u for games started the rest of his career?

Idk how much longer his career is going to be but I'd bet he doesn't start a game for the next three years (unless he somehow takes 2nd string and injuries happen).

Whats interesting is that he hasn't shown enough to even take the 2nd string job in Dallas. Rush is a decent backup but nothing special. He couldn't win 2nd string here (I think there was more to it though - it was just awkward to have him in the building while making Brock the man but that's my guess).

Agree with a lot of this, particularly the idea that it's highly realistic he gets a start or more due to injury at some point in the future. I think the reality is he's not far off from the possibility of being a QB2, even without winning a real competition for the spot.

Lol I just posted essentially this before reading these posts. I concur.

i do think he has a solid chance of having a long career as a backup though cause he's a good teammate and works hard.

being QB2 has a lot to do with just supporting the first string and helping with game prep. Of course they want you to be able to play in a pinch but that isn't the only thing they look for in a second string - hence why guys like Curtis painter, hoyer etc have such long careers.
Originally posted by krizay:
Trey may very well be better off going the AJ McCarron route and play in the UFL strictly for the playing time aspect. Yes He'll make more money in the pros strictly because his "potential". He's still "only" (I lost track) years old.

He'll never be the QB he wants to be if he continues to ride the pine in the NFL. I would argue He'll never be the QB he wants to be no matter what level he plays but that's another story.

This all day. He's capable he just needs reps, lots and lots of reps, desperately. He'll never be anything in the NFL without getting them. What he can or can not be is being more and more defined whether he likes it or not as his career progresses without noticeable tangible progression.
[ Edited by WINiner on Jun 22, 2024 at 4:31 PM ]
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Overrated by who, the media or PFF?

Do you think we use an outside rating system to draft players? Our coach is a O.C, so you would think he would be the one evaluating rookie QB's along with the QB coach and scouts.

Our qb coach at the time, which we let go after treys first year I believe, did an interview and essentially detailed what he looks for in a young qb.

it was essentially the complete opposite of Trey.

im not saying the qb coach shouldn't of been let go or that he was any good. Im just saying that it must of been interesting internal that Kyle must of fallen inlove with Trey and clearly not everyone on his coaching staff felt that way. That none of the coaches who were here when we drafted him, who went on to either manage or head coach teams, tried to trade for him (per reports).

From what I saw, it was the bills offering a 6th and then cowboys came out of no where with a 4th. Everyone else was a worse pick than a 6th on that upcoming draft.

Yea, this was one of the craziest situations I've ever seen at the QB position.
the Niner / Aiyuk situation isnt really drama like some here think.

this is offseason drama.

Originally posted by boast:
the Niner / Aiyuk situation isnt really drama like some here think.

this is offseason drama.

Cowboys are a reality show by themselves lol they don't count.

I learned in the Jimmy G thread years ago that throwing picks training camp doesnt matter at all.

"The receiver is 10 yards in front of me? Better show off the cannon."

I swear he made this exact same type of throw in one of his last the preseason games with the Niners.
[ Edited by Heroism on Jul 26, 2024 at 5:27 PM ]

Share 49ersWebzone