There are 229 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Even if JJ
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
I learned years ago that trying to judge everything through a black and white lense - especially with a sport as complex as football, is foolish.

Josh Allen just threw three consecutive picks in practice yesterday - is he trash? Should they try someone else? It's all about context to the situation and what was actually going on - which isn't usually available info. Throwing picks aren't good but doesn't mean it's horrible either, completely depends on numerous variables.

Josh Allen has a body of work to fall back on.

Don't ruin the fun, lol.

Lol I've admitted already that I was wrong about Jimmy. So I gotta eat that crow. I never thought he was great but I also didn't appreciate how much Kyle was propping him up.

i will say that I still stand by what I said when we traded Lance to the cowboys - it shows how much Kyle and lynch really believe that Trey will never be a good qb. Otherwise they wouldn't have traded him to that organization. Thats my take on it but we will see what happens

So, what were those two geniuses thinking when they gave up all of those first round picks and drafted Trey Lance the year before they traded him? If you are right, I just wish they would have come to this conclusion right before they drafted him.

I bet they were thinking the same thing when they drafted Solomon Thomas over Mahomes too. If they were thinking Mahomes would never be a good back up in the NFL, they were right.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
I learned years ago that trying to judge everything through a black and white lense - especially with a sport as complex as football, is foolish.

Josh Allen just threw three consecutive picks in practice yesterday - is he trash? Should they try someone else? It's all about context to the situation and what was actually going on - which isn't usually available info. Throwing picks aren't good but doesn't mean it's horrible either, completely depends on numerous variables.

Josh Allen has a body of work to fall back on.

Don't ruin the fun, lol.

Lol I've admitted already that I was wrong about Jimmy. So I gotta eat that crow. I never thought he was great but I also didn't appreciate how much Kyle was propping him up.

i will say that I still stand by what I said when we traded Lance to the cowboys - it shows how much Kyle and lynch really believe that Trey will never be a good qb. Otherwise they wouldn't have traded him to that organization. Thats my take on it but we will see what happens

So, what were those two geniuses thinking when they gave up all of those first round picks and drafted Trey Lance the year before they traded him? If you are right, I just wish they would have come to this conclusion right before they drafted him.

I bet they were thinking the same thing when they drafted Solomon Thomas over Mahomes too. If they were thinking Mahomes would never be a good back up in the NFL, they were right.
The 49ers weren't the only one that passed on mahomes. Mahomes wasn't even the top qb in the draft

Also, everyone already knows the story on why we didn't go QB in the first.

i don't think they were thinking, they were praying he would be Mahomes. they saw what they wanted to see. they fooled themselves. QB is a hard eval. as it is more than a skills transition to the NFL, it's who you are as a man, as a leader, in the huddle, on the prax field. you gotta be the big dog, on a team of dogs. some ppl have that. most don't. it's not about skills so much. zach wilson has skills. yet he is no leader. if you look at walsh, he took Carmazzi over Brady. they did a documentary and they knew after the first preseason game, while Carmazzi was athletic and could wing the ball around he wasn't a NFL player. lights were too bright in preseason. that happens. lot more common than Mahomes happening.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

i don't think they were thinking, they were praying he would be Mahomes. they saw what they wanted to see. they fooled themselves. QB is a hard eval. as it is more than a skills transition to the NFL, it's who you are as a man, as a leader, in the huddle, on the prax field. you gotta be the big dog, on a team of dogs. some ppl have that. most don't. it's not about skills so much. zach wilson has skills. yet he is no leader. if you look at walsh, he took Carmazzi over Brady. they did a documentary and they knew after the first preseason game, while Carmazzi was athletic and could wing the ball around he wasn't a NFL player. lights were too bright in preseason. that happens. lot more common than Mahomes happening.

Brady was selected in the 6th round with the 199th selection. That means he was passed over 198 times so I guess every team including the Patriots didn't think much of him.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Brady was selected in the 6th round with the 199th selection. That means he was passed over 198 times so I guess every team including the Patriots didn't think much of him.

Basically. I recommend The Brady Six doc. Walsh and Mooch are in there. The Brady clan were niner season tix holders he was a local product. He was at the Catch
it appears he is having a horrible week, that is kinda shocking considering the fluff piece that was written about him right before training camp and how sharp he has looked. I hope the dude pulls it together, but at least it is not our problem any longer.
Originally posted by BMoore56:
Mac is Trevor's backup. Lol

trey couldn't stay healthy and was way too raw. Mac is an asshat who also got boned with coaches and handled it poorly. Justin jones just had a tough situation and his coaches/surrounding talent mainly sucked and he didn't handle it great IMO.

I expected more out of Lawrence so far but he has been far from bad.

Who is justin jones?

Justin fields cousin.
Originally posted by Dshearn:
it appears he is having a horrible week, that is kinda shocking considering the fluff piece that was written about him right before training camp and how sharp he has looked. I hope the dude pulls it together, but at least it is not our problem any longer.

You can look sharp in passing drills all you want but what matters is how you look when bullets are flying and there are actual defenders.

you have to remember how inexperienced Trey is. Every practice rep is essentially a whole new experience to him, he's that inexperienced. So he isn't processing fast or really able to dissect any of his own tape - cause he doesn't have any. And what he has, in his entire life, are mainly running plays.

trey needs ATLEAST an entire year of live game action to even remotely figure out what kind of player he is. Until then, he's going to really struggle IMO. It's hard to go through progressions fast and make quick decisions when you're as inexperienced as he is - even though he's an intelligent guy. He might be the most inexperienced qb ever taken that high in the nfl draft ever.
If ever there was a guy who could benefit from a development league it would be Trey Lance.

Originally posted by captveg:
If ever there was a guy who could benefit from a development league it would be Trey Lance.

What he really needs is to stop being on teams in "win now" mode so he can just play and not have to worry. Lol he's no where near ready to lead a team competing for a chip.

in that regard I feel bad for him.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Jul 29, 2024 at 6:02 PM ]
trey lance should play in canadian football league or any league for a few years like jeff garcia did
[ Edited by picklejuice on Jul 29, 2024 at 7:56 PM ]
Originally posted by captveg:

There was someone here who claimed he was the most NFL ready QB out of everyone in the draft. Can't quite put my finger on which state this fella was from.
Originally posted by Dshearn:

You can look sharp in passing drills all you want but what matters is how you look when bullets are flying and there are actual defenders.

you have to remember how inexperienced Trey is. Every practice rep is essentially a whole new experience to him, he's that inexperienced. So he isn't processing fast or really able to dissect any of his own tape - cause he doesn't have any. And what he has, in his entire life, are mainly running plays.

trey needs ATLEAST an entire year of live game action to even remotely figure out what kind of player he is. Until then, he's going to really struggle IMO. It's hard to go through progressions fast and make quick decisions when you're as inexperienced as he is - even though he's an intelligent guy. He might be the most inexperienced qb ever taken that high in the nfl draft ever.

Been saying this for 3 years now. He can go to whatever passing coach he wants too. He can look good in those 2-3 throw clips he puts out. But when the bullets start flying these type of QB's (running QBs) go back to what they really are
Share 49ersWebzone