49ers bounce back from consecutive losses with decisive 30-13 win over Patriots →

There are 265 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by Monsterniner:
He'll be out of the league on tuesday.

Lol that's only good for the 9ers. Stubborn ass Jerry is the real reason why Dallas sucks.

And I said it before and I'll say it again, one hit wonders drafted in the top 5 don't do s**t in the NFL.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dshearn:
hindsight is 20/20

Clearly there is a lesson here about trading tons of draft capital to take ANY prospect when the NFL scouting system has been sidelined by an epidemic.

COVID jacked up the college season, COVID jacked up how teams normally scout, and it is pretty clear league wide that even during the best of times scouting is suspect. We have decades long track records to show even under perfect scouting situations going all in has alot of risk....So going all in when you can't even scout correctly should serve as a generational waring.

Next time there is COVID ShanaLynch should trade all draft picks for the next years draft picks and go undrafted free agents all the way!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by Giedi:
I know we lucked into Purdy, but man o man imagine 3 first round OLine picks protecting Purdy right now. 😓

The only thing that makes me feel better about that thought is that we would have probably drafted a dud. Lmao

but that absensce of talent from those picks def hurts. We would of probably drafted pass rushers and we are desperate there rn.

That makes me feel worse. Imagine three first round pass rushers next to Bosa!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erKing:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by Giedi:
I know we lucked into Purdy, but man o man imagine 3 first round OLine picks protecting Purdy right now. 😓

The only thing that makes me feel better about that thought is that we would have probably drafted a dud. Lmao

but that absensce of talent from those picks def hurts. We would of probably drafted pass rushers and we are desperate there rn.

I know this is pointless, but if our FO wasn't scammed by Lance and all the pressure to find a QB in the midst of Jimmy's decline, and didn't trade up, they probably would have picked Mac Jones at 12, and at that point there's a very good chance that BP drops off our radar the next year, or he signs with another team as a UDFA.

Agree 💯 %, we probably wouldn't have picked Purdy, but ShanaLynch did pretty well finding Dobbs and Mordecai, so I think there was still a chance Brock would have been on the team. But totally agree, Brock is that Lotto Pick that every front office and HC needs to keep their jobs.
I think it was BamaNiner that nailed Lance before we ever drafted him. Posted something to the effect that Lance may not even be able to play qb in this league at all. Said he only started at qb 2 years his whole LIFE, senior year of hs and one year at NDSU. There was no way he could've developed the nuance needed to play from the pocket.
he was exactly right and shunned while the NYniner guy was wrong on multiple posts a day yet still posts like he's an authority on things. Oh well, arrogance and ignorance is a dangerous combination of traits to have

If it wasn't for an already stacked roster John or Kyle would have had to been fired over this. It's one of the worst trades ever and THE worst scouting job on a qb of all time done by these two guys directly. They are the only ones in the organization who made this decision
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Bullrush42:
I think it was BamaNiner that nailed Lance before we ever drafted him. Posted something to the effect that Lance may not even be able to play qb in this league at all. Said he only started at qb 2 years his whole LIFE, senior year of hs and one year at NDSU. There was no way he could've developed the nuance needed to play from the pocket.
he was exactly right and shunned while the NYniner guy was wrong on multiple posts a day yet still posts like he's an authority on things. Oh well, arrogance and ignorance is a dangerous combination of traits to have

If it wasn't for an already stacked roster John or Kyle would have had to been fired over this. It's one of the worst trades ever and THE worst scouting job on a qb of all time done by these two guys directly. They are the only ones in the organization who made this decision

PBM? lol

Name dropping back in 2021.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Dude just sucks. I'm surprised by the number of people that can't admit it this many years later. Every major issue he's having--starting the big one being unable to see the field--was in his college tape.

I could see it in his first preseason games. He looked paralyzed while holding way too long onto the ball. He looked clueless unless there were wide open receivers. First time he threw a throw with anticipation, everyone celebrated like a baby taking their first steps. Purdy was doing that from day one.

As for his vaunted bulldozing running game at North Dakota State, I'll never forget when he tried to run it into the end zone against AZ. It was like he hit a wall against two defenders at the goal line. He used to plow over college competition. It was clear that it didn't translate to the size and speed of the NFL.

Originally posted by Bullrush42:

I think Kyle ultimately made the decision, but I do think there was probably a push internally to draft Lance. The pick made very little sense.
Still rooting for Trey to succeed, but i think he should consider a position change.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by BP13:
Still rooting for Trey to succeed, but i think he should consider a position change.

lol

Originally posted by BP13:

Just curious what else you think he could play. He's a nice runner for a QB, but I can't see his athleticism translating successfully to another spot.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Lance is Jamarcus Russell with a better attitude. He's quite possibly the worst 1st round pick in an extremely long time, maybe ever, based on how many picks were needed to get him, where he was drafted and how terrible he's been.

Definitely the worst for us- in terms of draft history I can recall. Solomon Thomas is at least a rotational player. The next mega busts (Reggie McGrew or Kentwan Balmer) weren't drafted nearly as high.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Just curious what else you think he could play. He's a nice runner for a QB, but I can't see his athleticism translating successfully to another spot.

I was thinking tight end, and bulk up a bit
I remember seeing him buying gold chains before he even learned the playbook and I knew we were in trouble. I still think Shanny wanted Mac Jones but gave in to fan pressure, can you imagine if he didnt? Mac would probably look decent enough in this system to still be hanging on to this day. Thank goodness Trey was so bad we could move on swiftly and give Brocky a shot, oh how this could have been different.
Here's my take on drafting Lance. You Know you have to have a QB to win the SB, and Kyle Knew we didn't with Jimmy. The first two were gone, so we really don't know what he and Lynch thought of them. When they visited Fields, Kyle would hardly give him a sidewise glance. He'd seen enough on tape to know he couldn't read and react. I think they did like Mac Jones, but the fan base was Very vocal about his limitations, and Kyle couldn't deny that, so ultimately he decided he wouldn't stick his neck out for him. Lance was very inexperienced, but he had good physical traits, and he Never threw interceptions, so there was reason to hope he Could read and react. It was a gamble. Sure. But the rest of the roster looked pretty good, and Kyle did not want to go into the playoffs again with Jimmy, so they threw the dice.

Here's my problem. Before he traded him away, Kyle had worked with him very closely for two whole seasons and two off seasons. Fans were screaming he's only played 4 games, so he just needs experience. When you have a brilliant teacher in any realm get two whole years closely working with a student, he's going to be able to get pretty close to knowing how much is aptitude, and how much is just experience. This, folks, is aptitude. I don't fault Kyle. They took a chance on the only position they really needed to gamble on with the only guy that had a chance, and lost.

I'll never say they didn't get lucky with Brock, but people concluding it was luck because it was a 7th rounder aren't being fair either. They saw something that gave him a much better chance than that, and it was all in his play and apparent headwork. It was also a gamble, and a home run. Ted Williams didn't bat 1,000.

And now, on to the Super Bowl.
Share 49ersWebzone