49ers bounce back from consecutive losses with decisive 30-13 win over Patriots →

There are 467 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by sick9erfan:
I remember seeing him buying gold chains before he even learned the playbook and I knew we were in trouble. I still think Shanny wanted Mac Jones but gave in to fan pressure, can you imagine if he didnt? Mac would probably look decent enough in this system to still be hanging on to this day. Thank goodness Trey was so bad we could move on swiftly and give Brocky a shot, oh how this could have been different.

Does Shanny seem like the give in to fan pressure type?
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by sick9erfan:
I remember seeing him buying gold chains before he even learned the playbook and I knew we were in trouble. I still think Shanny wanted Mac Jones but gave in to fan pressure, can you imagine if he didnt? Mac would probably look decent enough in this system to still be hanging on to this day. Thank goodness Trey was so bad we could move on swiftly and give Brocky a shot, oh how this could have been different.

No not really but I remember every report and every insider had it on good authority that they loved Mac Jones. Just such a bad decision its hard to accept that Trey was the guy they thought was worth all that??
Originally posted by Bullrush42:
I think it was BamaNiner that nailed Lance before we ever drafted him. Posted something to the effect that Lance may not even be able to play qb in this league at all. Said he only started at qb 2 years his whole LIFE, senior year of hs and one year at NDSU. There was no way he could've developed the nuance needed to play from the pocket.
he was exactly right and shunned while the NYniner guy was wrong on multiple posts a day yet still posts like he's an authority on things. Oh well, arrogance and ignorance is a dangerous combination of traits to have

If it wasn't for an already stacked roster John or Kyle would have had to been fired over this. It's one of the worst trades ever and THE worst scouting job on a qb of all time done by these two guys directly. They are the only ones in the organization who made this decision

Lol. BamaNiner was a fan of Alabama only and not an actual Niner fan. He would jock any player from Alabama and knock anyone else. Of course he ended up being correct about Lance because anyone who didn't like Lance as a prospect was correct. It was a 50/50 shot. He also jocked Mac Jones and look how well that turned out. You can't give credit to only one half of an argument when the other half was equally false.

NY is a legit longtime poster and true Niner fan. He may not always be correct and he's definitely not an authority as you suggest. I give him more respect as an actual fan of the team over some troll that joined the zone in hopes of drafting Mac Jones. BTW every one of those QB prospects was a bust outside of Trevor Lawerence who we had no shot at. The jury is still out on him in my opinion based upon the hype and how well he's lived up to it.

Im not sure what your goal was trying to call posters out. The reason people get shunned which you seem so worried about is because people can see who's fake and trolling. The real fans of the team are still here.
Reading this thread shows you a lot about the football knowledge of this board. 80% of the posters thought this guy was the second coming. Very few were against it from the beginning and they were shunned and even banned for their truthful but negative takes

The correct call was always Justin Fields. He has his issues in the NFL but like i said during the draft process, Trey Lance had to make a jump just to get to Fields college level and then had to make another leap to be a top QB. That is asking a lot (Not sure its ever happened). I think Fields has shown to be the QB Kyle thought he was getting with Lance and in his system would be a pretty good QB and still might be with the Steelers.
Originally posted by Jcool:
The correct call was always Justin Fields. He has his issues in the NFL but like i said during the draft process, Trey Lance had to make a jump just to get to Fields college level and then had to make another leap to be a top QB. That is asking a lot (Not sure its ever happened). I think Fields has shown to be the QB Kyle thought he was getting with Lance and in his system would be a pretty good QB and still might be with the Steelers.

The correct choice was none of them
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

The correct choice was none of them

I always thought that Fields was the guy to pick at the time, and I think he would of been a lot better than Lance, but I don't think he would of ended up being the long term option that we were all hoping for from the pick.

I've never had an issue with us taking such a massive swing at the QB position - I just never liked who we bet on. The selection was always mind boggling for me.

sucks, but it is what it is. I'm really happy with where we are with Brock. Let's hope he continues to prosper and grow here. this trade/selection really could of doomed us for years but we are in a really good spot.

We would of most likely used those three first rounders on D line, atleast some of them, and you can see how badly those losses have impacted our defensive front.

To me this doesn't have to be a big argument about Kyle giving in to fan pressure. I'm sure he wouldn't. I do think others in the process are very aware of it, and I think Jed showed that clearly when he was trolling the fanbase on draft day.

Kyle could have liked Mac Jones and Lance pretty evenly and others in the organization could have pressed him and ultimately convinced him to take the higher upside gamble on Lance. It's well within the realm of possibility to me, though there really isn't any hard evidence to support it.

I don't see how anyone could watch how Fields has played as an NFL player and still think he should have been the pick, or that his experience here would have been significantly different.

He was an explosive athlete and a project as a passer coming out. No project who needed playing time to learn the game would have worked out with a team trying to win the Super Bowl at the same time. You pick one priority or the other, but you can't do both.

I liked Lance better than Fields coming out, because you see the potential to become a successful QB from the pocket in theory. Fields was an absolute no no pick for me.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
To me this doesn't have to be a big argument about Kyle giving in to fan pressure. I'm sure he wouldn't. I do think others in the process are very aware of it, and I think Jed showed that clearly when he was trolling the fanbase on draft day.

Kyle could have liked Mac Jones and Lance pretty evenly and others in the organization could have pressed him and ultimately convinced him to take the higher upside gamble on Lance. It's well within the realm of possibility to me, though there really isn't any hard evidence to support it.

i hope one day that Kyle explains why he didn't care for fields. I know fields wasnt a perfect prospecet but it always puzzled me how he didnt seem interested in him at all - especially since he was looking for a mobile guy.

Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

i hope one day that Kyle explains why he didn't care for fields. I know fields wasnt a perfect prospecet but it always puzzled me how he didnt seem interested in him at all - especially since he was looking for a mobile guy.
i think some tidbits on why came out after we drafted lance. Fields did attend Shans QB camps so Kyle did get to see him up close way before the draft
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Lance is Jamarcus Russell with a better attitude. He's quite possibly the worst 1st round pick in an extremely long time, maybe ever, based on how many picks were needed to get him, where he was drafted and how terrible he's been.

Definitely the worst for us- in terms of draft history I can recall. Solomon Thomas is at least a rotational player. The next mega busts (Reggie McGrew or Kentwan Balmer) weren't drafted nearly as high.

Trey isn't half as talented as JR was. Jamarcus had what is possibly the strongest arm of all time.
Originally posted by Howlett49:
I think it was BamaNiner that nailed Lance before we ever drafted him. Posted something to the effect that Lance may not even be able to play qb in this league at all. Said he only started at qb 2 years his whole LIFE, senior year of hs and one year at NDSU. There was no way he could've developed the nuance needed to play from the pocket.
he was exactly right and shunned while the NYniner guy was wrong on multiple posts a day yet still posts like he's an authority on things. Oh well, arrogance and ignorance is a dangerous combination of traits to have

If it wasn't for an already stacked roster John or Kyle would have had to been fired over this. It's one of the worst trades ever and THE worst scouting job on a qb of all time done by these two guys directly. They are the only ones in the organization who made this decision

Lol. BamaNiner was a fan of Alabama only and not an actual Niner fan. He would jock any player from Alabama and knock anyone else. Of course he ended up being correct about Lance because anyone who didn't like Lance as a prospect was correct. It was a 50/50 shot. He also jocked Mac Jones and look how well that turned out. You can't give credit to only one half of an argument when the other half was equally false.

NY is a legit longtime poster and true Niner fan. He may not always be correct and he's definitely not an authority as you suggest. I give him more respect as an actual fan of the team over some troll that joined the zone in hopes of drafting Mac Jones. BTW every one of those QB prospects was a bust outside of Trevor Lawerence who we had no shot at. The jury is still out on him in my opinion based upon the hype and how well he's lived up to it.

Im not sure what your goal was trying to call posters out. The reason people get shunned which you seem so worried about is because people can see who's fake and trolling. The real fans of the team are still here.

Nah. He didn't "jock" Mac. He said he was a better qb than Lance would ever be but definitely wasn't worth trading up for. He would've fit the system for sure though.
Bamanoner also called the Tre Sermon pick the second it happened. It was the New York guy was in over his head talking football with Bama and Jonnydel
Originally posted by Howlett49:

Nah. He didn't "jock" Mac. He said he was a better qb than Lance would ever be but definitely wasn't worth trading up for. He would've fit the system for sure though.
Bamanoner also called the Tre Sermon pick the second it happened. It was the New York guy was in over his head talking football with Bama and Jonnydel
nah he was on McKorckles nuts big time

There is always someone upset and s**tting on picks.. odds are you are going to hit on those predictions (you can do that to any team)
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Aug 25, 2024 at 5:26 PM ]
Originally posted by tankle104:

Probably for the same reason the Bears dumped him and why he'll bounce around the NFL for the remainder of his career. He reads defenses like he's trying to read Mandarin. Every pre-draft knock on him was confirmed. He doesn't process well, he doesn't see the field well, doesn't feel pressure, has no internal clock which is why he'll always take a ton of sacks, regardless of OL.

Fields is what the biggest critics of Lamar Jackson claimed he was coming out in the draft. Phenomenal athlete, nice arm, no real QB aptitude.
Share 49ersWebzone