49ers bounce back from consecutive losses with decisive 30-13 win over Patriots →

There are 285 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by tankle104:
i hope one day that Kyle explains why he didn't care for fields. I know fields wasnt a perfect prospecet but it always puzzled me how he didnt seem interested in him at all - especially since he was looking for a mobile guy.

Probably for the same reason the Bears dumped him and why he'll bounce around the NFL for the remainder of his career. He reads defenses like he's trying to read Mandarin. Every pre-draft knock on him was confirmed. He doesn't process well, he doesn't see the field well, doesn't feel pressure, has no internal clock which is why he'll always take a ton of sacks, regardless of OL.

Fields is what the biggest critics of Lamar Jackson claimed he was coming out in the draft. Phenomenal athlete, nice arm, no real QB aptitude.

TBH, I always thought it was their personalities and "coachability" that made the difference to Kyle. Both have a lot of glaring issues (at this point they're known) but Fields has way better athleticism than most qbs in the league.

by all accounts, Lance is a good guy and very coachable. Teammates like him. I feel like that's a major reason they wanted him over fields so confidently.

eff it, GO BROCK! GO!. we may not of dodged the bullet with this selection - but we didn't let it bleed us out and cleaned up the injury real quick!.
i hope one day that Kyle explains why he didn't care for fields. I know fields wasnt a perfect prospecet but it always puzzled me how he didnt seem interested in him at all - especially since he was looking for a mobile guy.

Because Fields is not a pocket passer. Kyle wanted a pocket passer that is mobile. Fields is in year 4 with close to 50 starts and still panics inside the pocket and looks to bail immediately. As awful as Trey has been he still look way more poised inside the pocket than Fields does and he has like 4 or 5 starts in his career. Trey's issue is his accuracy is horrible and bad mechanics. If Fields had Trey's poise inside the pocket he would probally be a good starter.
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Because Fields is not a pocket passer. Kyle wanted a pocket passer that is mobile. Fields is in year 4 with close to 50 starts and still panics inside the pocket and looks to bail immediately. As awful as Trey has been he still look way more poised inside the pocket than Fields does and he has like 4 or 5 starts in his career. Trey's issue is his accuracy is horrible and bad mechanics. If Fields had Trey's poise inside the pocket he would probally be a good starter.

They both have mechanical issues that affect their accuracy. People looked at stats and didn't understand that Ohio State's passing offense didn't require precision… and Fields accuracy issues have carried over to the pros.
wild
wild

Wild for sure. The other side of this that I never see brought up is how would the 49ers pay for all three of these players? It's fun to criticize and say oh wow look at what these picks turned into. The real truth is they wouldn't have been able to secure these three players on this team.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Howlett49:
wild

Wild for sure. The other side of this that I never see brought up is how would the 49ers pay for all three of these players? It's fun to criticize and say oh wow look at what these picks turned into. The real truth is they wouldn't have been able to secure these three players on this team.

Also the Niners are still more talented and win more often than the dolphins. Hard to make the case the Niners are worse off.
wild

That's so misleading lol.

Either way, good for them. 1 and done in the playoffs and getting destroyed by us.

Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
wild

Either way, good for them. 1 and done in the playoffs and getting destroyed by us.

Yea that graphic is pure clickbait and engagement mining.
Originally posted by Howlett49:
wild

The Dolphins traded a 1st, 2nd, 2 4ths, and a 6th for Tyreek Hill.
Ayo WHOS MANS IS THIS with FIVE INTS? GOREx3?
Am I still racist for saying that he absolutely SUCKS?

Jimmy G > Treyday
All five of the passes that were picked off had been extremely poor decisions from the quarterback, who held on to the ball for too many, and bailed on clean pockets while being very erratic with his accuracy

Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
wild

Yea that graphic is pure clickbait and engagement mining.

What's wild is this point has been brought up already. In spite of the fact that the Dolphins barely can be considered a good team or got walked over by the 49ers. And the 49ers are still more talented.
Originally posted by JTB1974:

Lance is a 1% athlete (for a QB) trying to learn how to be a QB in the NFL. Kyle thought he could make him into the QB he wanted. Anyone could of told you that was a horrible Idea. So if you are trying to say he is better at anything then any other QB in that draft... Well that is just not reality.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by Jcool:
The correct call was always Justin Fields. He has his issues in the NFL but like i said during the draft process, Trey Lance had to make a jump just to get to Fields college level and then had to make another leap to be a top QB. That is asking a lot (Not sure its ever happened). I think Fields has shown to be the QB Kyle thought he was getting with Lance and in his system would be a pretty good QB and still might be with the Steelers.

I don't see how anyone could watch how Fields has played as an NFL player and still think he should have been the pick, or that his experience here would have been significantly different.

He was an explosive athlete and a project as a passer coming out. No project who needed playing time to learn the game would have worked out with a team trying to win the Super Bowl at the same time. You pick one priority or the other, but you can't do both.

I liked Lance better than Fields coming out, because you see the potential to become a successful QB from the pocket in theory. Fields was an absolute no no pick for me.

FWIW every QB has things to work on and coaching 100% matters with development. As someone in Chicago i can tell you the Bears coaching staff did a horrible job developing him and Luke Getsy was an awful OC (they seemed to have learned there lesson with Williams, but we will see).

Despite that he was showing upside:

I think Shanahan is good enough at his job to be able run a pretty good offense with him as the QB.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Trey Lance had some decent reads in this game. There's still a chance he at least has a decent career like Alex Smith who struggled early too. Just glad he isn't a 9er anymore.
[ Edited by Kolohe on Aug 26, 2024 at 8:18 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone