There are 238 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Bullrush42:
It was idiotic to trade up not knowing who they wanted. It was even worse taking the rawest prospect of all time.
if this guy plays another full year of exposure at ndsu he's not even drafted.
Somebody needs to make John and Juke tell them just wtf they were thinking in scouting him

This trade for Lance didn't work out but people keep forgetting that they didn't draft him to start right away. They knew he was raw and wanted to work with him the first year with an occasional play here and there. Then JG gets hurt and they're forced to throw him in. He obviously was nowhere near ready and he failed and got injured. Then they lucked out and found Purdy. End of Trey Lance experiment.
* Lower division level.
* Missed most of a year because of Covid cancellation.
* Limited College reps.
* Limited experience from the pocket.
* Speed wasn't as fast as advertised. Didn't translate to the NFL level.

The warning signs were there. But especially not playing much and having limited pocket experience. With the lower division level. It wasn't something you would give up huge picks to move up for. Realistically he shouldn't have ever been 1st round much less high and giving up a lot of picks.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Aug 26, 2024 at 1:35 PM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
* Lower division level.
* Limited College reps.

The warning signs were there. But especially not playing much and having limited pocket experience. With the lower division level. It wasn't something you would give up huge picks to move up for. Realistically he shouldn't have ever been 1st round much less high and giving up a lot of picks.

yessir
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
It was idiotic to trade up not knowing who they wanted. It was even worse taking the rawest prospect of all time.
Somebody needs to make John and Juke tell them just wtf they were thinking in scouting him

This trade for Lance didn't work out but people keep forgetting that they didn't draft him to start right away. They knew he was raw and wanted to work with him the first year with an occasional play here and there. Then JG gets hurt and they're forced to throw him in. He obviously was nowhere near ready and he failed and got injured. Then they lucked out and found Purdy. End of Trey Lance experiment.

None of this changes the fact it was idiotic to trade up.
* Lower division level.
* Limited College reps.

The thing I keep going back to was I believe it was Tim Jenkins breakdown before the draft. He broke down Trey's tape and talked about how vanilla the defenses were he was playing against at that level. So lack of experience and lack of reps versus complex defenses had this dude already set up to fell. Add in his mechanics and accuracy issues.... he never stood a chance.
Not sure how you draft a QB in the 1st let alone top 5 if you have to teach them the basics of Quarterbacking

I will say this though. IMO he does seem to know where to go more times often than not. It's just getting the ball there. It seems like moving targets is his issues. Stop routes, hitches comebacks his s**t seems to be accurate as hell. Get them receivers moving and it's like a box of chocolates.

The NFL have been littered with the likes of Trey Lance where teams tried to create a QB out of an athlete and so far only one player has succeeded. Josh Allen. I'm curious to see how Allen looks without Diggs. Josh wasn't all that great before Diggs. His turn around wasn't until Diggs got there.
Originally posted by krizay:

And hopeful it was a learning lesson to Jed to veto that in the future.

It is one thing to trade up for a Peyton manning, but hopefully no more future crippling trades for small school unproven prospects
Originally posted by Dshearn:

And hopeful it was a learning lesson to Jed to veto that in the future.

It is one thing to trade up for a Peyton manning, but hopefully no more future crippling trades for small school unproven prospects

The last thing we want Jed to do is dictate anything in regards to player acquisition.
Originally posted by captveg:
The last thing we want Jed to do is dictate anything in regards to player acquisition.

i don't want Jed to dictate, but he should chime in with the balding domes common sense proposals
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by captveg:

i don't want Jed to dictate, but he should chime in with the balding domes common sense proposals

Its so easy to use hindsight years down the road on what now seems like common sense but the fact is none of us were there, none of us sat in the interviews, none of us poured over hours of tape. Mistakes happen. Lets not act like we should have known because you can say the same thing about every other bust prospect ever. The draft is a gamble and teams reach for QBs bc the league has proven you need a QB to win.
Originally posted by miked1978:
Its so easy to use hindsight years down the road on what now seems like common sense but the fact is none of us were there, none of us sat in the interviews, none of us poured over hours of tape. Mistakes happen. Lets not act like we should have known because you can say the same thing about every other bust prospect ever. The draft is a gamble and teams reach for QBs bc the league has proven you need a QB to win.

fair enough. jed ultimately signs off on all the moves as head boss man. i think he is doing well, if we simply rose to the standard he set we would be the dynasty not KC. it's on the players and coaches now.

Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
fair enough. jed ultimately signs off on all the moves as head boss man. i think he is doing well, if we simply rose to the standard he set we would be the dynasty not KC. it's on the players and coaches now.

To the standard he set, lol, Completely detached from reality
* Lower division level.
* Limited College reps.

The thing I keep going back to was I believe it was Tim Jenkins breakdown before the draft. He broke down Trey's tape and talked about how vanilla the defenses were he was playing against at that level. So lack of experience and lack of reps versus complex defenses had this dude already set up to fell. Add in his mechanics and accuracy issues.... he never stood a chance.
Not sure how you draft a QB in the 1st let alone top 5 if you have to teach them the basics of Quarterbacking

I will say this though. IMO he does seem to know where to go more times often than not. It's just getting the ball there. It seems like moving targets is his issues. Stop routes, hitches comebacks his s**t seems to be accurate as hell. Get them receivers moving and it's like a box of chocolates.

The NFL have been littered with the likes of Trey Lance where teams tried to create a QB out of an athlete and so far only one player has succeeded. Josh Allen. I'm curious to see how Allen looks without Diggs. Josh wasn't all that great before Diggs. His turn around wasn't until Diggs got there.

They had a stacked team at the time. They saw a rare chance to move up and take a QB in the top 5. They gambled and it failed. It didn't hurt them much since they ended up getting Purdy and went to another SB. Are we going to keep beating this to death like we do about not drafting Mahomes or Rodgers?
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Aug 27, 2024 at 11:36 AM ]
just an extreme failure from our FO
Originally posted by lamontb:

I see a huge success. Took a big swing for a home run. Missed and identified it fast and folded. Missing on draft picks happens especially QB.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by lamontb:

I see a huge success. Took a big swing for a home run. Missed and identified it fast and folded. Missing on draft picks happens especially QB.

the most successful pick in club history
Share 49ersWebzone