There are 179 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
I said two days ago that it was 50/50 for who would start week 1. I actually think it's now advantage-Trey. I think the locker room will continue to move towards Trey, slowly but surely. I think you'll see split time with the 1st team offense during the first preseason game (one series each probably). Then it'll start tilting towards Lance.

Now I also appreciate I've been on the Lance bandwagon ever since the trade up and therefore am biased. I'm just saying that perception and narrative have shifted:
- let him sit a year to learn
- let's see what he looks like after the bye
- maybe he'll get some gadget plays like Taysom Hill
- ok, it's close but give it to the guy who's got a winning record

Now it seems like it'll be hard to keep him out of the game period.
Originally posted by Heroism:
It sounds like yesterday was the first time the team unleashed the zone read in front of the media because nobody can shut the hell about it. This running game is going to be f**king bananas with Trey back there. It was already steamrolling teams before with Jimmy, but with the running QB element, it's going to put a ton of strain on defenses to respect the keep and play the dive. I could totally see Trey having a lot of success as a young starter in the same way that Jimmy did in 2019 with the running game.

I have posted this gif many times - and I will do so again for the 100th time.

This play and it's variation will wreck defenses. There is no way they can stop this consistently with who we have at QB, WR, FB, and TE

Just imagine this play with Lance, Juice in backfield as a lead blocker, Deebo sprinting across, Kittle blocking or even running a go route, Aiyuk at the bottom of the screen blocking or running any combination of routes. So many options to run or pass.

...and we know damn well - Kyle will come up with several more plays like this over the years to take advantage of Lance's skillset.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Maiocco was gushing about Lance on his podcast earlier as well. He interviewed Peter King and Peter said that the starting defensive players that he was standing by while watching practice were in awe watching Trey against the 2s.

If peter king was a zoner - he'd be telling our defenders to not get excited and relax loool

[ Edited by 4ML on Aug 1, 2021 at 12:16 PM ]
Originally posted by 4ML:
It sounds like yesterday was the first time the team unleashed the zone read in front of the media because nobody can shut the hell about it. This running game is going to be f**king bananas with Trey back there. It was already steamrolling teams before with Jimmy, but with the running QB element, it's going to put a ton of strain on defenses to respect the keep and play the dive. I could totally see Trey having a lot of success as a young starter in the same way that Jimmy did in 2019 with the running game.

This play and it's variation will wreck defenses. There is no way they can stop this consistently with who we have at QB, WR, FB, and TE

Just imagine this play with Lance, Juice in backfield as a lead blocker, Deebo sprinting across, Kittle blocking or even running a go route, Aiyuk at the bottom of the screen blocking or running any combination of routes. So many options to run or pass.

...and we know damn well - Kyle will come up with several more plays like this over the years to take advantage of Lance's skillset.

Seriously. We've seen defenses already be confused by some of Shanahan's run plays and now we're adding another element that they have to account for at the snap. Playing this team is going to be a headache for defenders.

Seriously. We've seen defenses already be confused by some of Shanahan's run plays and now we're adding another element that they have to account for at the snap. Playing this team is going to be a headache for defenders.

CJ freaking Beathard was able to run for chunks of yards last year when KS tested defenses.

Lance is going to punish teams that over commit to stopping the pass with free scrambling yards

That's what I've been saying! It's another reason why he doesn't have to be some savvy vet, kyle is gonna put Lance in such a good position to succeed…they're gonna run the snot out of the ball regardless who is the QB this yr.

the crazy thing is lance has it between the ears too, just need live snaps. He's gotta play to develop imo.
Can't wait for preseason so we get to see Trey vs guys who are trying to knock his socks off…hopefully he makes them look silly.

I'm not pulling for either QB to win, just the best one to help us win football games. If Lance is that guy that's terrific because despite Jimmy's picks yesterday everyone has agreed this has been the best Jimmy we've seen since 2017. And I'd certainly rather Lance beat the best Jimmy possible.
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:

Id say he's trending towards week 1 starter.

Lulz less than 24 hours ago posters were complaining about his wounded ducks. I swear you guys are worse than high school girls, control your emotions and quit living and dying from every report that comes out of camp . Preseason is upon us, and we will finally get to see what Trey can do, until then….

RELAX

Loool I won't relax. Stfu foh

Great thought provoking response

You get what you ask for. Don't tell me to RELAX. This ain't f**king golf. I ain't ever relaxing as long as Lance is the QB. Man up! If your body is too old to make some natural testosterone - take what Frank Thomas is selling. Don't be timid and shy. This is Trey Area! Get your popcorn ready!!!!

Lulz he's done nothing yet, and Jimmy is still QB1. If Trey is as good as fans say he is, we're in great position He's got a chance to show fans what he can do next Saturday's

But it's ridiculous to see how butthurt you're getting, reports from training camp gives you testosterone?! it's the Internet, stop taking things so personal
[ Edited by Aj_hwd954 on Aug 1, 2021 at 2:19 PM ]

Omg such a shillllllllll

Originally posted by SkyZer0:

Omg such a shillllllllll

Defending Jimmy from idiotic takes on twitter= shill I guess
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Seriously, why shouldn't people be excited? Obviously there is still a lot for him to prove, but he's passed every test that has been put in front of him so far. The fact that he could come here at 21 with only 1 year of starting in the FCS and already look like he belongs on day 1 of TC is impressive as hell.

His physical talent is elite, but pairing that natural ability with the intangibles he's shown are what really gets me excited. He comes off as an intelligent, down-to-earth, mature kid with an incredible work ethic and strong desire to learn and accept coaching. Coaches have raved about his football knowledge.

Then combining all that with the ideal situation that we have here, what's not to be excited about? Is he guaranteed to be the next great NFL QB? Of course not. Nothing is guaranteed. But that doesn't mean people shouldn't get excited about the possibility.
i don't think it's the excitement entirely that some are having a hard time with, it's what the excitement manifests. and thats high expectations (should start week 1, cut jimmy now). He's still a rookie.

I like the news but i can't make my judgement until he plays against starting defenses in regular season games.
Well said, about time reality hits the fan...! Go Niners!
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Seriously, why shouldn't people be excited? Obviously there is still a lot for him to prove, but he's passed every test that has been put in front of him so far. The fact that he could come here at 21 with only 1 year of starting in the FCS and already look like he belongs on day 1 of TC is impressive as hell.

His physical talent is elite, but pairing that natural ability with the intangibles he's shown are what really gets me excited. He comes off as an intelligent, down-to-earth, mature kid with an incredible work ethic and strong desire to learn and accept coaching. Coaches have raved about his football knowledge.

Then combining all that with the ideal situation that we have here, what's not to be excited about? Is he guaranteed to be the next great NFL QB? Of course not. Nothing is guaranteed. But that doesn't mean people shouldn't get excited about the possibility.
i don't think it's the excitement entirely that some are having a hard time with, it's what the excitement manifests. and thats high expectations (should start week 1, cut jimmy now). He's still a rookie.

I like the news but i can't make my judgement until he plays against starting defenses in regular season games.
Well said, about time reality hits the fan...! Go Niners!

Couldn't agree more. At the very least, we need to see what he can do against second stringers. If he balls out on Saturday, things may get interesting
Originally posted by SkyZer0:

Omg such a shillllllllll

Defending Jimmy from idiotic takes on twitter= shill I guess

Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I said two days ago that it was 50/50 for who would start week 1. I actually think it's now advantage-Trey. I think the locker room will continue to move towards Trey, slowly but surely. I think you'll see split time with the 1st team offense during the first preseason game (one series each probably). Then it'll start tilting towards Lance.

Now I also appreciate I've been on the Lance bandwagon ever since the trade up and therefore am biased. I'm just saying that perception and narrative have shifted:
- let him sit a year to learn
- let's see what he looks like after the bye
- maybe he'll get some gadget plays like Taysom Hill
- ok, it's close but give it to the guy who's got a winning record

Now it seems like it'll be hard to keep him out of the game period.

At this point, I'd be surprised if Trey Isn't starting week 1. He makes this offense so much more difficult to defend against, Imagine the type of plays Kyle would cook up with Lance, Mostert and Deebo, Defenses would be so confused as what to do, or who to focus on, kind of like how the panthers Defense looked against us In 2019.
Share 49ersWebzone