LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 206 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
First-round rookie Trey Lance takes the snap, gets chased to his left, fluidly, calmly, portraying no sense of rookie yips. Up the left seam, maybe 18 yards downfield, wideout Brandon Aiyukhas a step on a corner. Lance whirls so his body is mostly facing Aiyuk, and he whips a hard spiral maybe 23 yards downfield that Aiyuk plucks out of the air. Big gain.

"Oooooohhhhhhhhhh," is the sound emanating from the defenders standing in front of me.

Translation: This kid might be the goods.

One of the men who watched that throw and was impressed is the new highest-paid linebacker in the game, Fred Warner. "You see the raw talent, and you see the ball fly out of his hand. Impressive," Warner said. "Games will be different. But 11 on 11 out here is still football, and we're seeing a young guy work and be humble and make throws like that. That's what he needs to do."

Kyle Shanahan told me after practice. "We're on the practice field now and you're a first-round pick so everyone's looking at you. Your new team wants to see your talent level, which he has, but they also want to see how he carries himself. I think that's what they've been impressed with. He doesn't know everything yet. He's still trying. This was his eighth practice since he's been here, including OTAs.

"But Deebo Samuel comes up to me at one point, and he's like, 'This guy's got some balls.' And I think that's what the guys feel. He goes out there and he's not scared to fail. He goes out there and lets it rip, and there's some good, some bad. Players can feel it. When you're not scared to fail and you're talented, you do things the right way, guys believe it's a matter of time."

I learned this, too, in my time here: The team gave every player an iPad to study plays and the playbook and that day's gametape. Of the 90 players in camp, guess whose iPad has registered the most minutes used on the Niners' internal server—where every login is recorded? Trey Lance's iPad.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/08/02/nfl-training-camp-tour-fmia-peter-king/
[ Edited by 49ersRing on Aug 1, 2021 at 10:40 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Originally posted by Since07:
Originally posted by BOI49er:
I'm as excited as anyone to see what Lance has but can we pump the breaks on all the hype? Think he's a year or two away from getting it figured out

Based on what?

Based on him being a 21 year old rookie coming out of a small school learning one of the more complicated offenses in the nfl. I'm sure Lance has impressed in camp cause he has the talent but it's not often a rookie qb comes in and tears the league up especially with this division

Since, these takes are awful. The "hype" is coming from people watching who's job it is to report news, so why pump the brakes?

Also, why on earth does Trey have to be a rookie who "tears up the league" he simply has to be the QB who puts us in the best position to win.

Do you really think that Jimmy "tears up the league"?

Trey will absolutely have some "rookie moments" but do you think they'll be more frequent to Jimmy's horrible INT's he throws?

Trey has two huge advantages over Jimmy that he can't overcome, arm talent and athleticism.

It's not everything, but when you have a QB that can stress the entire field and you pair him with a play caller who already gives DC's fits, you have a recipe for success, even if that does take 1-2 years (which you just have no basis on) the sooner he gets in there, the sooner we reap the rewards.

I'd much rather unleash Trey and deal with the consequences, than nurse Jimmy and hope for the best.

Well put.

I'm sure we rather see Grappy play and WIN than watch a rookie run around and throw excellent passes here and there then LOSE a game. .

... bottom line, the BEST QB coming out of CAMP and PRESEASON should be the starter..

Whom ever gives us the best chance to win should be the starter. Regardless if he's a rookie or vet.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
First-round rookie Trey Lance takes the snap, gets chased to his left, fluidly, calmly, portraying no sense of rookie yips. Up the left seam, maybe 18 yards downfield, wideout Brandon Aiyukhas a step on a corner. Lance whirls so his body is mostly facing Aiyuk, and he whips a hard spiral maybe 23 yards downfield that Aiyuk plucks out of the air. Big gain.

"Oooooohhhhhhhhhh," is the sound emanating from the defenders standing in front of me.

One of the men who watched that throw and was impressed is the new highest-paid linebacker in the game, Fred Warner. "You see the raw talent, and you see the ball fly out of his hand. Impressive," Warner said. "Games will be different. But 11 on 11 out here is still football, and we're seeing a young guy work and be humble and make throws like that. That's what he needs to do."

Kyle Shanahan told me after practice. "We're on the practice field now and you're a first-round pick so everyone's looking at you. Your new team wants to see your talent level, which he has, but they also want to see how he carries himself. I think that's what they've been impressed with. He doesn't know everything yet. He's still trying. This was his eighth practice since he's been here, including OTAs.

"But Deebo Samuel comes up to me at one point, and he's like, 'This guy's got some balls.' And I think that's what the guys feel. He goes out there and he's not scared to fail. He goes out there and lets it rip, and there's some good, some bad. Players can feel it. When you're not scared to fail and you're talented, you do things the right way, guys believe it's a matter of time."

I learned this, too, in my time here: The team gave every player an iPad to study plays and the playbook and that day's gametape. Of the 90 players in camp, guess whose iPad has registered the most minutes used on the Niners' internal server—where every login is recorded? Trey Lance's iPad.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/08/02/nfl-training-camp-tour-fmia-peter-king/

That last paragraph, that's my QB
That's cool. "Fan" comes from "fanatic", as in "a person exhibiting excessive enthusiasm and intense uncritical devotion toward come controversial matter". To me, in other words, you're going to have to show me I'm wrong, not tell me I'm wrong. Hard to enjoy sports as a pessimist.

ALL OF THIS!

BE A FAN!!

NOT ASKING FOR TOO MUCH!!!

AND IF IT'S TOO MUCH FOR YOU!!!

THEN AT LEAST DON'T TELL OTHERS TO NOT BE A FAN!!!

We were talking about this in the Draft Thread - how every coach who has had the chance to coach him has said - his work ethic is something they have never seen - and these are coaches who have worked with current NFL QBs. It was dismissed as - pre-draft hype.
Originally posted by RasSuar:
Trey Lance the Wolf

Loved that Matt B.

My motto is - Be a Wolf.

My boy is a Wolf
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

My boy is starting to get a rep.
I'm as excited as anyone to see what Lance has but can we pump the breaks on all the hype? Think he's a year or two away from getting it figured out

Based on what?

Based on him being a 21 year old rookie coming out of a small school learning one of the more complicated offenses in the nfl. I'm sure Lance has impressed in camp cause he has the talent but it's not often a rookie qb comes in and tears the league up especially with this division

Since, these takes are awful. The "hype" is coming from people watching who's job it is to report news, so why pump the brakes?

Also, why on earth does Trey have to be a rookie who "tears up the league" he simply has to be the QB who puts us in the best position to win.

Do you really think that Jimmy "tears up the league"?

Trey will absolutely have some "rookie moments" but do you think they'll be more frequent to Jimmy's horrible INT's he throws?

Trey has two huge advantages over Jimmy that he can't overcome, arm talent and athleticism.

It's not everything, but when you have a QB that can stress the entire field and you pair him with a play caller who already gives DC's fits, you have a recipe for success, even if that does take 1-2 years (which you just have no basis on) the sooner he gets in there, the sooner we reap the rewards.

I'd much rather unleash Trey and deal with the consequences, than nurse Jimmy and hope for the best.

This is what I'm talking about, we need to be patient. I'm all for getting Lance reps but saying we should start him sooner than later over Jimmy before preseason has even started is getting ridiculous. Maybe Lance rolls into the league and is Justin Herbert it's possible but I'm not expecting it. I was one of the first people who was talking down on Jimmy and got bashed for it at the time but he's the starter and it's his job to lose. We need to give Jimmy a chance if he starts F'ing it up then you give Trey a shot. Let's not get it twisted Jimmys our quarterback
This is what I'm talking about, we need to be patient. I'm all for getting Lance reps but saying we should start him sooner than later over Jimmy before preseason has even started is getting ridiculous. Maybe Lance rolls into the league and is Justin Herbert it's possible but I'm not expecting it. I was one of the first people who was talking down on Jimmy and got bashed for it at the time but he's the starter and it's his job to lose. We need to give Jimmy a chance if he starts F'ing it up then you give Trey a shot. Let's not get it twisted Jimmys our quarterback

loool - doesn't seem like it based on Shanahan's actions in 2021.

Originally posted by 4ML:

I know Jimmys on his way out it's evident and I expect Lance will start sometime in the season but it's not like Jimmy is a total scrub. As I said it's his job to lose I'm excited about Lance but it seems some posters are settling their expectations too high

I know Jimmys on his way out it's evident and I expect Lance will start sometime in the season but it's not like Jimmy is a total scrub. As I said it's his job to lose I'm excited about Lance but it seems some posters are settling their expectations too high

So you've changed the bar already, first Trey had to set the league on fire to start, now he just has to not be a total scrub.

I'm fine with a competition, I'm just very confident that Trey will win it.

It's also not just about who is better, it's who makes our team better. Trey adds dimensions to Kyle's offense that Jimmy just doesn't, that has to be worth something, surely.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

So you've changed the bar already, first Trey had to set the league on fire to start, now he just has to not be a total scrub.

It's also not just about who is better, it's who makes our team better. Trey adds dimensions to Kyle's offense that Jimmy just doesn't, that has to be worth something, surely.

May the best man win.

We are in a Super Bowl window still so yeah Lance would have to set the league on fire. The bolder is what I'm talking about a lot of posters think he's ahead of jimmy already. Let's be patient and give jimmy a 4th shot
sounds like Lance is spending plenty of time learning the play book per Peter king…

Share 49ersWebzone