LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 220 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Since07:
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
So you've changed the bar already, first Trey had to set the league on fire to start, now he just has to not be a total scrub.

I'm fine with a competition, I'm just very confident that Trey will win it.

It's also not just about who is better, it's who makes our team better. Trey adds dimensions to Kyle's offense that Jimmy just doesn't, that has to be worth something, surely.

We are in a Super Bowl window still so yeah Lance would have to set the league on fire. The bolder is what I'm talking about a lot of posters think he's ahead of jimmy already. Let's be patient and give jimmy a 4th shot

So you've changed your tune again, and basically are handing Jimmy the job regardless of camp or preseason performance?

I like Jimmy, I think we can win with him, however I just think the path to it is with training wheels on, stick to what he does well, quick passes in the middle of the field and try to limit his mistakes.

For me the difference with Trey is that although you'll also need some training wheels, lean on the run, give easy reads. I'm confident that Trey can shed them during season or at least definitely by next year. Then we'll have a QB we can win because of.

In terms of talent it really isn't close, it also looks like Trey is smarter and works harder.

I just don't understand why we'd be so aggressive by trading up for a guy with an incomplete grade due to sample size, only to get conservative and sit him behind your incumbent that you tried so hard to replace.
[ Edited by 49erBigMac on Aug 2, 2021 at 4:11 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
sounds like Lance is spending plenty of time learning the play book per Peter king…

Grinder.
Originally posted by 9moon:
I'm sure we rather see Grappy play and WIN than watch a rookie run around and throw excellent passes here and there then LOSE a game. .

... bottom line, the BEST QB coming out of CAMP and PRESEASON should be the starter..

Now why would that be what happens lol? Let's stop pretending like Jimmy is some top end QB and ONLY he can win games here
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Aug 2, 2021 at 4:11 AM ]
So you've changed the bar already, first Trey had to set the league on fire to start, now he just has to not be a total scrub.

It's also not just about who is better, it's who makes our team better. Trey adds dimensions to Kyle's offense that Jimmy just doesn't, that has to be worth something, surely.

We are in a Super Bowl window still so yeah Lance would have to set the league on fire. The bolder is what I'm talking about a lot of posters think he's ahead of jimmy already. Let's be patient and give jimmy a 4th shot

Our Super Bowl window just opened even more with a rookie QB on a rookie contract…
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Our Super Bowl window just opened even more with a rookie QB on a rookie contract…

It's been extended 15 years.
sounds like Lance is spending plenty of time learning the play book per Peter king…

Damn, really like this kid's work ethic. He's determined to be great.

So you've changed your tune again, and basically are handing Jimmy the job regardless of camp or preseason performance?

I like Jimmy, I think we can win with him, however I just think the path to it is with training wheels on, stick to what he does well, quick passes in the middle of the field and try to limit his mistakes.

For me the difference with Trey is that although you'll also need some training wheels, lean on the run, give easy reads. I'm confident that Trey can shed them during season or at least definitely by next year. Then we'll have a QB we can win because of.

In terms of talent it really isn't close, it also looks like Trey is smarter and works harder.

I just don't understand why we'd be so aggressive by trading up for a guy with an incomplete grade due to sample size, only to get conservative and sit him behind your incumbent that you tried so hard to replace.

Give Jimmy a 4th shot. 4th time was the charm, right? Nope not for me it wasen't. For me, six times was the charm. 😆😆😆😆😆. Jimmy is Jimmy. 4th day of practice, after now years of playing he double clutches on a deep breaking, open receiver and throws it 10 yards short.🤢

I don't see how "I'm changing my tune" If it's up to me Im going into the season with jimmy as the quarterback and we need to back him up 100% until he gives reason to lose the job. Lances reported work ethic along with his natural talent is hypnotizing but do we know if he can be consistently accurate?

I don't see how "I'm changing my tune" If it's up to me Im going into the season with jimmy as the quarterback and we need to back him up 100% until he gives reason to lose the job. Lances reported work ethic along with his natural talent is hypnotizing but do we know if he can be consistently accurate?

You changed you tune because you're moving the bar of what Trey has to do to start, now you say it's Jimmy's to lose. Nothing is given in this league, you have to earn everything.
Really excited about the reports on Trey. Looking forward to seeing him in actual game action.

Hopefully Kyle lets the most effective QB start, unlike when he kept trotting Tevin Coleman out there to begin every game in 2019 when it was clear that Mostert was far better.
[ Edited by a49erfan77 on Aug 2, 2021 at 5:50 AM ]

Originally posted by a49erfan77:
Really excited about the reports on Trey. Looking forward to see him in actual game action.

Hopefully Kyle lets the most effective QB start, unlike when he kept trotting Tevin Coleman out there to begin every game in 2019 when it was clear that Mostert was far better.

Ugh that was so annoying....I can't remember the posters name, but there was one dude in here that thought Coleman was BY FAR the best RB on the roster and made excuse after excuse as to why he was better. Since Coleman left I haven't seen him comment on one thing

edit:

His name was 49ers90sBaby, I kept asking him if he was related to Coleman with the way he was defending him...he never said he wasn't lol.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Aug 2, 2021 at 5:52 AM ]
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
Really excited about the reports on Trey. Looking forward to see him in actual game action.

Ugh that was so annoying....I can't remember the posters name, but there was one dude in here that thought Coleman was BY FAR the best RB on the roster and made excuse after excuse as to why he was better. Since Coleman left I haven't seen him comment on one thing

edit:

His name was 49ers90sBaby, I kept asking him if he was related to Coleman with the way he was defending him...he never said he wasn't lol.

Coleman was born in '93, so maybe it was him.
Originally posted by mayo49:

Grinder.

doesnt surprise me everyone has raved about hid work ethic and intelligence. I think its the main reason he went at 3
Originally posted by 4ML:
loool - doesn't seem like it based on Shanahan's actions in 2021.

I know Jimmys on his way out it's evident and I expect Lance will start sometime in the season but it's not like Jimmy is a total scrub. As I said it's his job to lose I'm excited about Lance but it seems some posters are settling their expectations too high

hes saying that Jimmy isnt a total scrub hes right our record with Jimmy vs when hes out/injured its evident hes pretty good to decent

i want whats best for this team long term and its only inevitable that Trey takes over the position because of his talent i think it will be after the bye. Id rather have Jimmy start a few games before Lance takes over
This is what I'm talking about, we need to be patient. I'm all for getting Lance reps but saying we should start him sooner than later over Jimmy before preseason has even started is getting ridiculous. Maybe Lance rolls into the league and is Justin Herbert it's possible but I'm not expecting it. I was one of the first people who was talking down on Jimmy and got bashed for it at the time but he's the starter and it's his job to lose. We need to give Jimmy a chance if he starts F'ing it up then you give Trey a shot. Let's not get it twisted Jimmys our quarterback

Steve Young said it best...

Young told Nevada Sports Net at the American Century Championship. "John and Kyle have spoken as loudly as you possibly can by doing something that's only been done a handful of times in history, to essentially trade the future away for a person that now needs to play and everybody knows it. They couldn't speak any louder to Jimmy that, 'You're not that guy,' but yet here we are. Jimmy's a great guy, so he'll figure out his way through it. If he wasn't, it'd be more complicated, but it's a complicated situation."

Not sure how you can say Jimmy is OUR QB right now? He's on the team, is being paid a stupid amount of money, and yes when played has won (IMO about 15 or so other QBs would have done the same with Kyle and our roster), but the objective truth of it is SF has showed the world, pretty blunt in fact, that Jimmy is not the guy here anymore.

You can't expect a high end rookie who doesn't have a ton of snaps under his belt to improve by not playing. Even Kyle has said this much. Jimmy has been given a chance for 3+ years and given the keys to the organization after only 5 freaking games...he's been paid what will be over $100M by this team if he's on the roster for the rest of the year. WHY does he need to be given anything at this point?
Share 49ersWebzone