LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 114 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Even Trevor Lawrence is struggling at camp. Threw three picks. Why isn't Lance struggling like the other rookie QBs?

Oh I'm sure he will have his bad days at camp all the same.
Even Trevor Lawrence is struggling at camp. Threw three picks. Why isn't Lance struggling like the other rookie QBs?

He's not playing vs 1s like Lawrence or Wilson. He is definitely looking better than Fields and Mac who are also playing vs 2s though.
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Steve young talked about this…there's free yards out there in today's football. Qbs can get 2-3 extra 1st downs a game with your feet. 11 on 11 football and you get to dictate coverages, especially on 3rd downs.

toss in the ability to extend plays and play inside the pocket still? Yeah who the hell doesn't want that…

Steve was 30+ years ahead of his time. He would've absolutely shredded defenses today.. with the rule changes and the wide open nature of offenses. I still maintain that Steve is the most accurate scrambling QB of all time.

one of my favorite Niners of all-time...dude was electric. I can picture Lance playing similar to Steve and in today's game where the rules are much different.
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
He's not playing vs 1s like Lawrence or Wilson. He is definitely looking better than Fields and Mac who are also playing vs 2s though.

Sounds like Fields had a pretty good practice yesterday. Let's face it the Jags #1s All these rookies will have rough days...s**t I just saw that Mahomes had a 3INT practice the other day.

Lol @ the Jags and Jets #1s
Originally posted by illinois9er:

Laugh all you want but the Jets and Jags starting DBs are still better than the off-the-street guys in our backup defensive backfield right now. haha
[ Edited by a49erfan77 on Aug 4, 2021 at 5:47 AM ]
Originally posted by illinois9er:

Laugh all you want but the Jets and Jags starting DBs are still better than the off-the-street guys in our backup defensive backfield right now. haha

Lol Bryce Hall and Bless Austin are the Jets starters. So that might not be exactly accurate
It is going to take time to transition from the Summit League to Sundays... he can run zone read right now and be productive, some play action off of this, and some boot off the OZ, all of this in selectively chosen game circumstances by KS... that is the expectation this year while Jimmy starts and plays well

Sounds like Fields had a pretty good practice yesterday. Let's face it the Jags #1s All these rookies will have rough days...s**t I just saw that Mahomes had a 3INT practice the other day.

Nothing more worthless than how these click bait reporters make all their judgements based on stats alone. Worthless without context. And even if you were there watching (which provides a bit more context than just looking at a stat line), you still don;'t know what the player and coaches are actually doing. Maybe a QB was told to force a ball to a player or in an area for some reason / teaching moment.

One other thing than bugs me about QB stats in a camp or practice setting. A QB will get ripped by some clickbait nobody if his comp % is not stellar. Again without context. But rarely mention that he is consistently throwing against other pros trying to win at their job too. And in the case of the 49ers, that is one of the best defenses in the league. Hell, I would be more worried if Jimmy and Trey were consistently shredding our defenses.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

Nothing more worthless than how these click bait reporters make all their judgements based on stats alone. Worthless without context. And even if you were there watching (which provides a bit more context than just looking at a stat line), you still don;'t know what the player and coaches are actually doing. Maybe a QB was told to force a ball to a player or in an area for some reason / teaching moment.

One other thing than bugs me about QB stats in a camp or practice setting. A QB will get ripped by some clickbait nobody if his comp % is not stellar. Again without context. But rarely mention that he is consistently throwing against other pros trying to win at their job too. And in the case of the 49ers, that is one of the best defenses in the league. Hell, I would be more worried if Jimmy and Trey were consistently shredding our defenses.

This. I was listening to a former college QB talk about practice details. He was saying that he was having an issue determining whether to throw to a certain route based on how the DB was playing. The coaches had him throw that route every time until he fully understood when to throw it vs when not to.

The Fields highlight I saw everyone fawning over was Fields standing in the pocket and a DL who would have killed him in real game stopping about 3 yards away and standing still.

Then Fields goes deep...basically a practice throw

Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
The Fields highlight I saw everyone fawning over was Fields standing in the pocket and a DL who would have killed him in real game stopping about 3 yards away and standing still.

Then Fields goes deep...basically a practice throw

Other than distance, the two plays are nothing alike and Trey's is far more impressive.
I'm pretty sure too, but you'd think it would have happened already like the rest of the rooks. Major caveat here, though. The other rooks may be playing against the first team defense while Trey has been mostly playing against the second team D.
I'm pretty sure too, but you'd think it would have happened already like the rest of the rooks. Major caveat here, though. The other rooks may be playing against the first team defense while Trey has been mostly playing against the second team D.

Maybe, but Fields and Mac would be seeing their fair share of 2's, as would Trevor as they're calling it a competition with Minshew.

I bet the big difference is how much studying he's been doing. I think that's going to be the thing that sets him apart.
There's no doubt that deep bomb he threw to Sherfield was badass but also keep in context the receiver was covered by a 3rd-rate LB for hell's sake. An opposing defense would almost assuredly never be covering one of our receivers with a linebacker in a real game, let alone one who isn't on a season roster.
Share 49ersWebzone