LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 216 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 4ML:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by SD49er:
Kittle unintentionally disputed McDaniel's comments, but clearly disagreed that Trey is directing anyone. We should all pump the breaks on anointing Trey, and just enjoy his ascension as it happens without forcing Trey into a category he has not earned, yet. Reports have been amazing. He will be "it" soon. Jimmy should be the starter, and if Trey unseats him, then amazing. But lets remember, no rookie QB has ever won a Super Bowl. This team is primed to win a SB now.

No such thing as - Jimmy should be the starter.

Why?

...and just bc no rookie QB has ever won a SB means nothing - Trey Lance is a rookie QB for the first time and he is on a loaded team. How many rookie QBs land on a loaded roster. How many rookie QBs look as good as Lance has so far?!?

Also - Jimmy G has never won a SB - so why should be penciled in as a starter?

Jimmy has won two Super Bowls. He didn't play but he did win 2.

Damn...I was on a roll too.

As to the bolded, it's not penciled in. The best man should start. But Jimmy will likely be the starter. This is not my opinion, it's Shanny's opinion, and not because Shanny says so, but because of Shanny's actions. Trey lighting up the second and third string defense in practice does not anoint him to the level of starter, when Jimmy has proven he can win. I have no intention of rehashing the 1000s of pages of argument about Jimmy, but even assuming the worst of Jimmy, he is likely still the best option for this entire year. If Trey supplants him, then amazing. All I care about is winning a superbowl. But lets just wait until there are at least live bullets to talk about Trey beating Jimmy out.

as to my original point. Kittle refuted McDaniel's comments about Trey directing the offense. So, again, everything in context.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Kittle unintentionally disputed McDaniel's comments, but clearly disagreed that Trey is directing anyone. We should all pump the breaks on anointing Trey, and just enjoy his ascension as it happens without forcing Trey into a category he has not earned, yet. Reports have been amazing. He will be "it" soon. But Jimmy should be the starter, and if Trey unseats him, then amazing, however this is unlikely. Lets remember, no rookie QB has ever won a Super Bowl. This team is primed to win a SB now, and trusting a rookie QB with that task, even if he is more talented, is risky as hell.

No team had played a super bowl with home field advantage. Until last year. Just cause it hasn't happened doesn't mean it can't happen.
That and the new rookie wage scale has made a rookie QB winning a super bowl a thousand times more likely. No team selecting a QB high on the draft pre wage scale had a chance to win the Super Bowl because they had no cap room.

Now they do. And now we do.

Great point.
All this superbowl talk, I most importantly want this team to be a contender in the playoffs for the next 5-10 years. And yeah hopefully a few Super Bowl trophies too.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Kittle unintentionally disputed McDaniel's comments, but clearly disagreed that Trey is directing anyone. We should all pump the breaks on anointing Trey, and just enjoy his ascension as it happens without forcing Trey into a category he has not earned, yet. Reports have been amazing. He will be "it" soon. But Jimmy should be the starter, and if Trey unseats him, then amazing, however this is unlikely. Lets remember, no rookie QB has ever won a Super Bowl. This team is primed to win a SB now, and trusting a rookie QB with that task, even if he is more talented, is risky as hell.

No team had played a super bowl with home field advantage. Until last year. Just cause it hasn't happened doesn't mean it can't happen.
Your point is true. But it's risk assessment. Rookies historical inability to win SB's has nothing to with talent, and everything to do with experience. It's risky starting a rookie who has no experience while on a team primed to win. Trey barely has college football experience. He does have tremendous talent. What Trey needs is to gain experience, which is why it's unlikely Shanahan starts him this year. This team is primed right now to win, and asking a rookie QB to lead a team to a SB is a massive challenge. Plus rookie's SB records is highly distinguishable from why a team had never had home field advantage in a SB. Home field advantage was a fluke, while many of the greatest NFL QBs ever started as rookies and failed to take their teams to the SB. If Shanny thinks Trey is the best man for the job, Trey will start. It's just unlikely.

How much experience is Trey going to get on the bench?

Lots of experience. But it's not just about Trey, this team can win now with Jimmy, and maybe with Trey. It's impossible to say for sure, but Rogers and Mahomes seemed to have benefitted from sitting. Others benefitted from starting right now. But Shanny does not want to waste this year developing a qb. If Trey is clearly the better QB, a la Wilson the Rain City b***h Pigeons, then he will also start. Itys just risky if the goal is winning a super bowl.
Kittle unintentionally disputed McDaniel's comments, but clearly disagreed that Trey is directing anyone. We should all pump the breaks on anointing Trey, and just enjoy his ascension as it happens without forcing Trey into a category he has not earned, yet. Reports have been amazing. He will be "it" soon. Jimmy should be the starter, and if Trey unseats him, then amazing. But lets remember, no rookie QB has ever won a Super Bowl. This team is primed to win a SB now.

Why?

...and just bc no rookie QB has ever won a SB means nothing - Trey Lance is a rookie QB for the first time and he is on a loaded team. How many rookie QBs land on a loaded roster. How many rookie QBs look as good as Lance has so far?!?

As to the bolded, it's not penciled in. The best man should start. But Jimmy will likely be the starter. This is not my opinion, it's Shanny's opinion, and not because Shanny says so, but because of Shanny's actions. Trey lighting up the second and third string defense in practice does not anoint him to the level of starter, when Jimmy has proven he can win. I have no intention of rehashing the 1000s of pages of argument about Jimmy, but even assuming the worst of Jimmy, he is likely still the best option for this entire year. If Trey supplants him, then amazing. All I care about is winning a superbowl. But lets just wait until there are at least live bullets to talk about Trey beating Jimmy out.

as to my original point. Kittle refuted McDaniel's comments about Trey directing the offense. So, again, everything in context.

Of course Kittle is going to back Shanny and not get into the middle of this increasing issue at qb. Trey isn't embarrassing himself, just pretty much Jimmy at this point
[ Edited by socal1632 on Aug 4, 2021 at 1:13 PM ]
Originally posted by Waterbear:

That and the new rookie wage scale has made a rookie QB winning a super bowl a thousand times more likely. No team selecting a QB high on the draft pre wage scale had a chance to win the Super Bowl because they had no cap room.

Now they do. And now we do.

Great point.

I agree that rookie QB contracts are incredibly important. Brady and qbs on those contracts have primarily been the winners of super bowls over the last 10-13 years. I think it's one of the primary reasons we traded for Trey. But Jimmy is pretty good when he's healthy, knows this insanely complicated offense, and has the experience necessary to overcome the challenges of a long NFL season.

You aren't the first person with this opinion, but if a Superbowl is that important to you, why wouldn't you consider how much better Trey will be from playing this year, and thus how much more likely we'd be to win the Superbowl next year?

Or we could go with Jimmy, just because, get close, then roll with Trey next year who isn't ready for Playoff life and get close again, you'd have just cost us what you crave most.

Our truly believe our best chance of a Superbowl is next year or the year after (basically the window of having Trey & Bosa on rookie deals) I can't see how Trey riding the bench helps us.
Originally posted by socal1632:

Why?

Of course Kittle is going to back Shanny and not get into the middle of this increasing issue at qb. Trey isn't embarrassing himself, just pretty much Jimmy at this point

You obviously did not listen to Kittle's presser. He was not backing Shanny. His natural reaction was to find the contention that Trey was directing the offense to be absurd. And it is absurd.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:

Your point is true. But it's risk assessment. Rookies historical inability to win SB's has nothing to with talent, and everything to do with experience. It's risky starting a rookie who has no experience while on a team primed to win. Trey barely has college football experience. He does have tremendous talent. What Trey needs is to gain experience, which is why it's unlikely Shanahan starts him this year. This team is primed right now to win, and asking a rookie QB to lead a team to a SB is a massive challenge. Plus rookie's SB records is highly distinguishable from why a team had never had home field advantage in a SB. Home field advantage was a fluke, while many of the greatest NFL QBs ever started as rookies and failed to take their teams to the SB. If Shanny thinks Trey is the best man for the job, Trey will start. It's just unlikely.

How much experience is Trey going to get on the bench?

Lots of experience. But it's not just about Trey, this team can win now with Jimmy, and maybe with Trey. It's impossible to say for sure, but Rogers and Mahomes seemed to have benefitted from sitting. Others benefitted from starting right now. But Shanny does not want to waste this year developing a qb. If Trey is clearly the better QB, a la Wilson the Rain City b***h Pigeons, then he will also start. Itys just risky if the goal is winning a super bowl.

We have no way of knowing if they did or not, because we can't compare them against the alternative where they didn't sit. We do know that their teams didn't win the Super Bowl while they were on the bench. I'd also say that, in at least Mahomes' case, they were more mechanically flawed than Lance when they came into the league.

Over the last 10 years, only 4 QBs taken in the top 10 didn't start week 1 and of those 4, only 1 wasn't starting by week 5. The 1 remaining was Jared Goff and he started in week 10 of his rookie season. If Lance sits the entire year or even most of it, it will be the first time that has happened to a QB drafted in the top 10 in at least a decade.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

You aren't the first person with this opinion, but if a Superbowl is that important to you, why wouldn't you consider how much better Trey will be from playing this year, and thus how much more likely we'd be to win the Superbowl next year?

Or we could go with Jimmy, just because, get close, then roll with Trey next year who isn't ready for Playoff life and get close again, you'd have just cost us what you crave most.

Our truly believe our best chance of a Superbowl is next year or the year after (basically the window of having Trey & Bosa on rookie deals) I can't see how Trey riding the bench helps us.

You and I agree the best years to come are withTrey and Bosa together. Trey being on the rookie QB is huge. But from year to year teams change so much. I just know this team is crazy talented this year. Maybe the most talented roster in all of football. I want whoever gives us the best chance to win this year to play, in part because we have Trey next year (and Jimmy will be gone). At this point, despite all of the amazing reports about Trey, I really like Jimmy as the QB this year in large part because of his experience. If trey starts, I will hope he becomes the first rook ever to win it all.

Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

You and I agree the best years to come are withTrey and Bosa together. Trey being on the rookie QB is huge. But from year to year teams change so much. I just know this team is crazy talented this year. Maybe the most talented roster in all of football. I want whoever gives us the best chance to win this year to play, in part because we have Trey next year (and Jimmy will be gone). At this point, despite all of the amazing reports about Trey, I really like Jimmy as the QB this year in large part because of his experience. If trey starts, I will hope he becomes the first rook ever to win it all.

All power to you, but look around the league, the Bucs, Chiefs, Bills and Packers have all been able to run it back. Once Jimmy's contract is off our books we'll be able to do the same.

Also as much as people keep saying Jimmy has the experience he still throws one or two awful interceptions a game that could easily be classified as rookie mistakes, I don't understand how people think this would be worse with Trey.
Trey Area!

Kyle needs to give Lance more challenging homework
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Kyle needs to give Lance more challenging homework

Week 1 starter. Coming up soon.
Share 49ersWebzone