LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 262 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
How much experience is Trey going to get on the bench?

A lot actually.

LOL

This whole freaking talk track that you don't develop on the bench is just nonsense.

Every young player at every position develops on the bench via practice, the film room and coaching.

More so when they're playing the most mentally demanding position in sports.

Like, Aaron Rodgers didn't get better from his 3-4 years riding the bench? Steve Young didn't improve drastically? Get out of here.
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
This is off topic, but for all the people thinking Patrick Mahomes was a slam dunk back when he was drafted:

Not every rookie QB shines in camp. This should put what we're seeing from Trey in perspective.

Mahomes was pretty raw coming into the league. It doesn't surprise me that he didn't look great at first.
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
This is off topic, but for all the people thinking Patrick Mahomes was a slam dunk back when he was drafted:

Not every rookie QB shines in camp. This should put what we're seeing from Trey in perspective.

Mahomes was pretty raw coming into the league. It doesn't surprise me that he didn't look great at first.

Add the fact Mahomes was coming from a complete different system unlike Lance who even tho only played 1 year as a starter ran a pro style system and had a lot on his plate from the get go
Everyones' gangsta till you get a high ankle sprain.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Wewillwin:

A lot actually.

LOL

This whole freaking talk track that you don't develop on the bench is just nonsense.

Every young player at every position develops on the bench via practice, the film room and coaching.

Like, Aaron Rodgers didn't get better from his 3-4 years riding the bench? Steve Young didn't improve drastically? Get out of here.

If the quarterback has issues with mechanics, or is unfamiliar with the scheme, then I agree that sitting on the bench will help him a lot because playing QB with mechanical issues or scheme unfamiliarity can be counterproductive to his development. But if the QB has no detrimental flaws, and is versed with the playbook, then looking at film all day can only help up to a certain point.

Steve Young had to be coached out of using his legs as a second option and to use it as a 4th option. I'm sure Rodgers learned sitting on the bench in year 1, but how much in year 2 and 3? Same with Jimmy. I'm sure he learned sitting for a year, but at some point a player needs to apply what he's learning. A QB learns to play by playing in a live pocket, not watching a bird's eye view of the play.
Originally posted by thl408:

A lot actually.

LOL

If the quarterback has issues with mechanics, or is unfamiliar with the scheme, then I agree that sitting on the bench will help him a lot because playing QB with mechanical issues or scheme unfamiliarity can be counterproductive to his development. But if the QB has no detrimental flaws, and is versed with the playbook, then looking at film all day can only help up to a certain point.

Steve Young had to be coached out of using his legs as a second option and to use it as a 4th option. I'm sure Rodgers learned sitting on the bench in year 1, but how much in year 2 and 3? Same with Jimmy. I'm sure he learned sitting for a year, but at some point a player needs to apply what he's learning. A QB learns to play by playing in a live pocket, not watching a bird's eye view of the play.

I agree with all of this and it's why I don't think Lance is going to benefit from sitting on the bench nearly as much as he would from playing. The biggest knock on him right now is that he just doesn't have that much experience. He needs live reps more than anything.

That isn't to say he wouldn't benefit at all from sitting, but if we fast forward to 2022, the Lance that played several games in 2021 is going to be a lot further along than the Lance that sat on the bench in 2021.

That's not to say that Lance should play now if Jimmy is clearly better.
[ Edited by 49ersRing on Aug 5, 2021 at 11:18 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Just found out today on locked on 49ers from a NDSU beat reporter that Boise State offered him a scholarship to be their QB the night he was signing with NDSU and he said no. He honored his commitment. Like that.

he also said he's watched Lance slinging it 60 yards from his knees to WRs in warmups. Said his arm is better than Wentz and he was a better college QB. Which is blasphemous to say in North Dakota.

Originally posted by thl408:

A lot actually.

LOL

Fully agree - and Y1, there's a long way to go to get him fully developed outside of playing on Sundays.

I think we're all aware he's going to be starting for us in Y2. But agreed - 1 year of riding the bench gets you far enough. Incremental growth in your second year on the bench is relatively minimal unless you're Steve Young. You're still growing on the bench, you would just gain so much more from being on the field.

And yeah with his current play, maybe that will come much sooner than later. The QB that gives us the best chance to win should play.

Just disagree wholeheartedly with this nonsense that rookies QBs don't develop as QB2's.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Would you guys trade Trey "Baby Kap" Lance straight up for Trevor Lawrence right now?

I'd trade Kap straight up for Lawrence in a heartbeat

If the hype is truly true.. forget what I said start the mfer. I didn't want his confidence thrashed but if the grant Cohan's of the world are right Jimmy is toast
It is pretty hard to not get excited about this kid.

reminds me of a young Kobe, not the attitude etc, but the work ethic/grind/desire to perfect his craft - from day 1.

I have always liked Jimmy but it seems like trey has that trait where he can make wicked throws that most people can't - like mahommes and Rodgers.

im not saying he is going to be as great as any of those guys, just that his traits seem similar.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Would you guys trade Trey "Baby Kap" Lance straight up for Trevor Lawrence right now?

So dumb to call him that. And yes, immediately.
Originally posted by Furlow:

You would trade "Baby Kap" for Lawrence straight up?
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Furlow:

You would trade Trey Lance for Lawrence straight up?

Yes. Who wouldn't?
Share 49ersWebzone