There are 209 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
He's going to play situationally.

The situation will be whenever the offense is on the field.

Nice post
Originally posted by Bloodless:
I am telling you all this 2 Qb system stuff as the reason why Trey will now be getting more looks with the 1s is a lie. This is all just a way of making it a QB competition without calling it one. That way if they end up finding out that Trey isn't ready and they want to develop him some more. They can just say that was the plan all along. They can make it the Narrative of it was not that Trey was not able to beat Jimmy G out for starter. It will be that Trey sitting and learning was always the plan. If Trey is better which I think they think he is. Once/If he proves he is better then they will make it official and tell everyone that Lance is the starting QB. I think it is smart. They are making it a competition without putting added pressure on the two QBs.

I think Shanahan is saying that there is always competition for any position at any time but there's also using different positional players for different situations and that he feels like he may have the luxury of doing with QBs what he does with wide receivers. Wider receivers are competing for their positions but nobody thinks much of them being switched in and out depending on the situation. He probably doesn't want to say that about the QB position too emphatically, though, until he is confident that JG and Lance and the offensive starters - maybe especially the O-line - feel comfortable with that.

I could easily be wrong in thinking that that is what Shanahan is thinking. Whatever he means, the kind of situation he could too easily find himself is in week 5 against the Cardinals with a record of 2 - 2 with two close losses with JG as QB 95% of the time. And then they get into the fourth quarter down 10 points against the Cards. That would almost surely be a situation where he would be tempted to send in Lance.
[ Edited by 49erphan on Aug 6, 2021 at 5:27 PM ]
The Webzone all off-season in a nutshell
Oh no we suck again!
I am telling you all this 2 Qb system stuff as the reason why Trey will now be getting more looks with the 1s is a lie.

Lol it isin't a system. We've seen those. We're just not throwing our prized possession out to the wolves if we don't have to.

We are working the obvious future starter in. Protecting our investment.
[ Edited by random49er on Aug 6, 2021 at 7:06 PM ]
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
The Webzone all off-season in a nutshell
Originally posted by random49er:
I am telling you all this 2 Qb system stuff as the reason why Trey will now be getting more looks with the 1s is a lie.

Lol it isin't a system. We've seen those. We're just not throwing our prized possession out to the wolves if we don't have to.

We are working the obvious future starter in. Protecting our investment.

Let me explain why having Jimmy And Trey both play in the same game is a bad idea. For example even if it is very limited snaps for Trey starting out. Lets say we give Trey something like 5 to 10 plays in a game and the rest to Jimmy. Lets say Trey throws the ball 2 times and runs the ball 4 times. What happens if he doesn't complete those passes? He goes 0 for 2 and has to think about that all week. About How he didn't play well, even though it was only two Passes. What if he threw an interception in his limited throws? How is that good for his confidence? If you gave Trey more reps to give him a fair look. What If Jimmy outplayed him for everyone to see. How is that good for a rookies Confidence? It is added pressure on a rookie QB, something they don't need. You don't want your 2 QBs playing out on the field afraid every single throw is going to make or break their season/careers. With a Rookie when you play him. You commit to it and if he struggles he than has all the time in the world to work through it. I don't think it is a good idea at all for them to be both sharing snaps in a game.
Originally posted by thl408:

He won't be sitting on the bench all game.

Let me explain why having Jimmy And Trey both play in the same game is a bad idea. For example even if it is very limited snaps for Trey starting out. Lets say we give Trey something like 5 to 10 plays in a game and the rest to Jimmy. Lets say Trey throws the ball 2 times and runs the ball 4 times. What happens if he doesn't complete those passes? He goes 0 for 2 and has to think about that all week.

0 for 2 is nothing a professional athlete should be upset about. You get the film the next day to review what went wrong. Sometimes,....you made a couple beautiful plays and you're 0 for 2. That's a nothing burger in my opinion and if anything, would help him tremendously.

I'd want more attempts than 2 but we're not exhibitioning all season. We're actually trying to WIN. So i'd like to see that 0 for 2 right along with 2 TD runs that won the game.

Trey is an excellent addition to the team that can help us win NOW with the skills he has,...and its really just that simple. If he had more experience, he'd already be starting and this wouldn't be a discussion.

People want all or nothing,...want to see things black or white so their brains can make sense of it better. But the world has alot of gray.

GREAT GREAT idea to work him in the way I've been saying/campaigning for since the end of OTA's. #ProtectYourInvestment
[ Edited by random49er on Aug 6, 2021 at 8:27 PM ]

Originally posted by Heroism:
That video that NY posted a few pages back about Trey's mechanics was fantastic insight. I can't stop seeing that little ball turn now. I'm sure he'll slowly phase it out over his career if it becomes detrimental.

lol @ the jet noise drowning out the music. Right underneath the runway flight path is the best spot for your stadium.
Originally posted by random49er:
Let me explain why having Jimmy And Trey both play in the same game is a bad idea. For example even if it is very limited snaps for Trey starting out. Lets say we give Trey something like 5 to 10 plays in a game and the rest to Jimmy. Lets say Trey throws the ball 2 times and runs the ball 4 times. What happens if he doesn't complete those passes? He goes 0 for 2 and has to think about that all week.

0 for 2 is nothing a professional athlete should be upset about. You get the film the next day to review what went wrong. Sometimes,....you made a couple beautiful plays and you're 0 for 2. That's a nothing burger in my opinion and if anything, would help him tremendously.

I'd want more attempts than 2 but we're not exhibitioning all season. We're actually trying to WIN. So i'd like to see that 0 for 2 right along with 2 TD runs that won the game.

Trey is an excellent addition to the team that can help us win NOW with the skills he has,...and its really just that simple. If he had more experience, he'd already be starting and this wouldn't be a discussion.

People want all or nothing,...want to see things black or white so their brains can make sense of it better. But the world has alot of gray.

GREAT GREAT idea to work him in the way I've been saying/campaigning for since the end of OTA's. #ProtectYourInvestment

Ok, So he goes 0 for 2 one week. No big deal. Next week he goes 0 for 3. He threw 4 straight incompletions today in practice even though he had 7 for 12 and had an alright day. It is something that happens to even great QBs all the time where they put together a bad quarter, a half, or a full game worth of throws. So let's say now he has two games in a row where even though he has had limited opportunities to throw. Now multiple games where he doesn't come out looking particularly good. Two straight weeks of him coming away disappointed with his performance. Two weeks of fans calling him a bust. Two weeks of him thinking about how he hasn't played well. Even though he has barely played. You can see how this could hurt a rookie's confidence right?

Again now, let's say we give him a fair shot and look in each game. What happens if a game Jimmy G has a good day and Trey struggles. You don't think that could hurt his confidence. Even if Lance is the better QB, He can have a bad game. The exact thing can be said if it is the reverse with Jimmy. IF Jimmy had a poor 10 throws and Lance had a good day. There is a reason when two QBs are in a competition they don't play one for a series than the other. Or one for a half and then the other.( not in the season). It has been tried and is proven to be very bad for both Qbs and the team. You don't want QBs competing for each and every game, each and every throw. Training camp sure but not each and every week during the regular season.

Sure if both play great that's all well and good. But even then that always comes to an end. I get Trey has a unique skill set Jimmy doesn't have. I would agree that using both might on paper seems like a good idea. There is a reason people don't go back and forth between different QBs during the season. You want your starting QB to believe he is the guy. It makes no sense to try to put added pressure on a rookie. Having him worrying about what Jimmy is doing out on the football field. Having to try and one-up each other. Make him feel Like here is your shot rookie don't blow it or back to the bench for you. No, When you go to Trey, you go to Trey and tell him it is your team now son. We believe in you. That is how you do it. Not Hey, Trey go play some running back for us, we can use those legs for some read options plays. While we use Jimmy as our throwing QB. Yeah, that just screams confidence in him as a QB.
[ Edited by Bloodless on Aug 6, 2021 at 9:23 PM ]
God. I can't wait for the season to start so there is actually something yo talk about. 'Oh , Lance already knows the offense better than anyone on the team '. 'Oh, Lance is going to win Rookie of the year'. 'Oh, Lance is going to win the Super Bowl this year'. ' Oh , Lance is going find the cure for cancer '. 'Oh , Lance is going to win the Nobel Prize'. Geez, it just never ends. How about if actually plays a couple of games first.
Originally posted by 49ers81:
God. I can't wait for the season to start so there is actually something yo talk about. 'Oh , Lance already knows the offense better than anyone on the team '. 'Oh, Lance is going to win Rookie of the year'. 'Oh, Lance is going to win the Super Bowl this year'. ' Oh , Lance is going find the cure for cancer '. 'Oh , Lance is going to win the Nobel Prize'. Geez, it just never ends. How about if actually plays a couple of games first.

We have something to talk about. It's called camp and Trey has played well for the most part. Nothing wrong with getting excited when a high pick shows promise.
Ok, So he goes 0 for 2 one week. No big deal. Next week he goes 0 for 3.

If we are going to play this game where he should sit out of fear of not being able to complete a pass,...then we should just force him to retire from football right now.

Sorry but we didn't give up 3 1st rounders for this guy to sit and watch as much as possible. He's under a contract that's limited to 4-5 years.
Share 49ersWebzone