There are 205 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by random49er:
If we are going to play this game where he should sit out of fear of not being able to complete a pass,...then we should just force him to retire from football right now.

Sorry but we didn't give up 3 1st rounders for this guy to sit and watch as much as possible. He's under a contract that's limited to 4-5 years.

That is not what I am saying. I actually think Trey should start the season but if he doesn't thats fine too. The point I am making is that only one should be playing at a time during a game. When we put Trey out on the field this season. If that is week 1, week 6, or next season. Whenever that is when we do put him out there he should be the guy and this should be his team. He should be able to find a rhythm. If he struggles he should have the opportunity to play his way through it. Again, When he plays he shouldn't have to be looking over his shoulder or competing with his teammate. When we do play him, that If he has a bad quarter then he knows he has three more right after. If he has a bad game he knows he has another full one next week and the week after that. The biggest thing for me though is to give him the chance to find the Rythem and if he struggles he has plenty of opportunities to bounce back from it as soon as possible. That is just my opinion though.
[ Edited by Bloodless on Aug 6, 2021 at 10:05 PM ]
We are in a GREAT situation if he doesn't have to start the season as the starter. He can stay hungry to get better and take the job instead of it seemingly being given,...be mentally be relaxed and nervous that everything is on him,....and oh yea,....he might keep a couple defensive coordinators up at night, not knowing how much he will play. Wins all around.
This thread is going to be legendary 10 years from now
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We are in a GREAT situation if he doesn't have to start the season as the starter. He can stay hungry to get better and take the job instead of it seemingly being given,...be mentally be relaxed and nervous that everything is on him,....and oh yea,....he might keep a couple defensive coordinators up at night, not knowing how much he will play. Wins all around.

Yeah, no need to hurry him to be the starter. Ease him in with a couple plays here and there every game. Get him ready for next year when Jimmy is gone and the team is Trey's. Now, if Jimmy can't hold the job, then by all means give the job to Trey.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Aug 7, 2021 at 1:40 AM ]
If he's talented enough to play situationally he's talented enough to play all the time.

There is nothing wrong with sitting him but there is nothing wrong with playing him either. There have been QBs that have started their rookie season and were fine and some that sat and were fine as well.

A big thing to keep in mind is this is some terrible roster with no talent. Lance wouldn't be like Burrow walking into a trash fire of a roster but he'd have plenty of talent around him that the weight of the world wouldn't be on him.

Based on what the 9ers did in the draft and offseason they plan on running the ball and running it a lot so we're likely to see 2019 levels of running the ball. That's actual one of the biggest reasons to start Lance is with him as the QB it opens the running game way more than Jimmy does.

Lance is a threat to run the ball and he's already had multiple 30+ yard completions in camp whereas Jimmy's longest is 25 yards so defenses are going to have to respect the deep ball and they can't crowd the LOS like they can with Jimmy.
His floor can lead this team to the playoffs
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jikkle49:
If he's talented enough to play situationally he's talented enough to play all the time.

There is nothing wrong with sitting him but there is nothing wrong with playing him either. There have been QBs that have started their rookie season and were fine and some that sat and were fine as well.

A big thing to keep in mind is this is some terrible roster with no talent. Lance wouldn't be like Burrow walking into a trash fire of a roster but he'd have plenty of talent around him that the weight of the world wouldn't be on him.

Based on what the 9ers did in the draft and offseason they plan on running the ball and running it a lot so we're likely to see 2019 levels of running the ball. That's actual one of the biggest reasons to start Lance is with him as the QB it opens the running game way more than Jimmy does.

Lance is a threat to run the ball and he's already had multiple 30+ yard completions in camp whereas Jimmy's longest is 25 yards so defenses are going to have to respect the deep ball and they can't crowd the LOS like they can with Jimmy.

It all depends on Shanny - he and the play of Jimmy will determine how much he plays. Just got to see how it plays out.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Nice work ATT
Originally posted by elguapo:
Nice work ATT

you going today's Dwight Clark day practice?

I can't wait!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Nice work ATT

you going today's Dwight Clark day practice?

I can't wait!

i wish they would do a practice at kezar some day!

Such confidence in his arm. He sees it downfield. . Throws it. It gets there to the receiver quick. No hesitation.

Been awhile since we had that. Kinda had it with Kap but his elongated delivery and lack of anticipation more than cancel that out.

The only thing that would worry me is his how he handles that pressure. If he wins the job outright, there's gonna be a lot of pressure on him to play well. And at that age, especially when you add in the pressure of winning, it would be tough.

I still think he only starts if Jimmy gets hurt or is just playing poorly. Would like for Trey to start, but don't see it happening with how this roster is built. There's no need to rush it and hopefully Jimmy can at least play like he did in '19.
By nearly every account I've read or heard on the radio Trey is way more talented than Jimmy. They say it really isn't close. It's just a matter of time before Kyle feels comfortable with his knowledge of the playbook before he takes over. That's when we'll find out how he reacts to the pressure of being the starter. It's different than just coming in for a play here and there. At this point, Jimmy is still the starter.
Originally posted by mayo49:

Yeah, no need to hurry him to be the starter. Ease him in with a couple plays here and there every game. Get him ready for next year when Jimmy is gone and the team is Trey's. Now, if Jimmy can't hold the job, then by all means give the job to Trey.

Indeed we are, In a great situation that Is. Jimmy will most likely begin the season as starter ( mostly likely remain starter too, unless Injured ).Imo The best scenario would to then give Trey as much playing time as possible, Hopefully we'll see him get a couple of drives per game to showcase his talent at give the fans a glimpse of the future.
[ Edited by Sickaa on Aug 7, 2021 at 8:24 AM ]
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Not really.

Trey will need first team reps if he'll come in on special packages.
Share 49ersWebzone