There are 212 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Spartan:
Hi all! Great to be here! I grew up in the East Bay, and do remember the Walsh and Seifert years. I was at the great playoff win at Candlestick over the Saints in 2012 (granddaddy's Xmas gift!). I've been an avid fan since the resurgence under Harbaugh, suffered from increasing despondency since that 4th qtr debacle when they opened Levi's against the Bears, and am thrilled that Shanahan has developed a contender again! I'm quite excited how things look. I know, knock wood and training camp is 'just' training camp, etc., but the buzz over Trey is not borne out of baseless optimism. His mindset surely means he won't be another Kaepernick (the fall from grace, specifically), let alone a Ryan Leaf. His diverse and impressive skillset is real, and when he is playing in games that matter against 1st string defenses, he'll have this, seemingly, terrific OL with him, not to mention the YAC brothers are quite seasoned now!

I like what these guys are saying in this video, regarding hyperbole and what is actually tangible out there. I came across them amid specific searching (forgive me if this was posted elsewhere on WZ):

https://youtu.be/jjBD6j1s2uI

Go Niners! James
Welcome!!
Thanks a lot!! I love the discourse on here! Looking forward.

Go Niners! Thanks

Go Niners! Thanks

I personally haven't been this excited since Steve Young. A qb who looks capable of carrying out Kyle's mind out there.
Originally posted by socal1632:

Go Niners! Thanks

I personally haven't been this excited since Steve Young. A qb who looks capable of carrying out Kyle's mind out there.

Here here.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Holy crap Chris Simms is beyond moronic. I just saw a short clip of him on some hack's YouTube show that seems pretty recent and still insists he would've taken Jones all day long. He actually used that phrase and still doesn't "buy them drafting Lance." Said all these other teams didn't rate him any higher than 11 or 12 on their boards so the Niners should've just stayed put and would've still been there at 12. What a giant crock of s**t. Wow he must be really stupid to not understand the kind of manipulation techniques FOs use during draft season. He's an actual s**t for brains especially when you know full well he's seen and heard a lot of the media reports coming out of TC about Lance.

If he didn't go to Atlanta at #4 he wouldn't have gotten passed #9 at the latest and that's if another team didn't trade up for him.

There is really no way to know that for sure. Just look at how far Justin Fields fell, and there were many that him rated higher than Lance. Did we give up more than we had to to go up higher than we needed to? Maybe. But it removed the unknown from the equation. It removed the risk of someone later going up in front of us. And I am sure that was worth a lot to our front office, if not to the fans.

At the end of the day, we gave up an extra 2 1-st round picks to guarantee we got Lance. I look at it like this: Would you have traded our 1st rounder this year, Solomon Thomas, and Arik Armstead - to move up to #3 overall? Because those were our 1st rounders in back to back years, and both were taken higher than he hope to be drafting the next two years. Add Reuben Foster, Joshua Garnett, and Mike McGlinchey to that pool. I would have traded our 1st any any two of those to move up.
Start trey lance week 1

If not he'll be ready by the bye week
Originally posted by socal1632:

Definitely exciting times for us niner fans. It's time to reclaim what's ours .NFC WEST...
Me, too, NinerBuff, as far as being being excited; I don't think a draft prospect with such a high ceiling has ever gone immediately to a team with a SB-caliber roster! It's very tantalizing, and this move might reflect a FO resourcefulness akin to something out of Bill Walsh's foresight in recognizing a Mississippi college receiver named Jerry Rice for his system in 1985, or the ultra-viable Herschel Walker trade of 1989 by Jimmy Johnson and Jerry Jones. The Chiefs fans claim they have the best GM in football, but Trent Williams wasn't swayed. He stayed here! Trey already can look forward to having one of the best Olineman protecting his blindside. I could be wrong, but it seems the head-turning/ jaw-dropping buzz over Trey is heavier than that of the other three in training camp (Lawrence, Wilson and Fields).

The pass from Trey earlier this week described as one 'not thought a human can make' is of course silly grandiosity from a homer, but the skill is there! He will make that in real games against top-notch defenses with his top-notch OL in front of him and throwing to the the likes Aiyuk and Kittle et el.

Go Niners
[ Edited by Spartan on Aug 8, 2021 at 8:45 PM ]
Me, too, NinerBuff, as far as being being excited; I don't think a draft prospect with such a high ceiling has ever gone immediately to a team with a SB-caliber roster! It's very tantalizing, and this move might reflect a FO resourcefulness akin to something out of Bill Walsh's foresight in recognizing a Mississippi college receiver named Jerry Rice for his system in 1985, or the ultra-viable Herschel Walker trade of 1989 by Jimmy Johnson and Jerry Jones. The Chiefs fans claim they have the best GM in football, but Trent Williams wasn't swayed. He stayed here! Trey already can look forward to having one of the best Olineman protecting his blindside. I could be wrong, but it seems the head-turning/ jaw-dropping buzz over Trey is heavier than that of the other three in training camp (Lawrence, Wilson and Fields).

The pass from Trey earlier this week described as one 'not thought a human can make' is of course silly grandiosity from a homer, but the skill is there! He will make that in real games against top-notch defenses with his top-notch OL in front of him and throwing to the the likes Aiyuk and Kittle et el.

Go Niners

First off, welcome! Go Niners!

Since I've been following the Niners closely (2003 or so), there have been 3 rookies that immediately came in and succeeded. Patrick Willis, Nick Bosa, and now Trey Lance. The level of intrigue with this guy is crazy! I liked how John Lynch in the interview with Maiocco was saying the other HOF inductees like Calvin and Peyton were asking him about Lance. And your point is very astute - this is one of, if not the best situation a rookie QB has ever had.

I'm very interested to see what happens over the next few weeks. If the Niners are confident in Jimmy and still plan to have him start Week 1, I'm confident Jimmy wins football games when healthy and the team hasn't been this healthy since the SB. But I think we need to roll the dice with Lance. I think Jimmy G is a very good quarterback when healthy and is a proven winner, but I contend the team lifted Jimmy more so than Jimmy lifted the team. His ~250 yds passing 2 TDs and 1 INT per game can be replaced.

The real question is whether to trade/cut him or pay him his full salary. That's the real question. You trade/cut him and add some depth with the extra money (possibly at the trade deadline) or you keep him as the best backup in the league and a guy who can take you to the SB if Lance gets injured. One way you're putting all the chips in for a SB, the other way pretty much assures yourself of a winning season and a playoff birth.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Go Niners

First off, welcome! Go Niners!

Since I've been following the Niners closely (2003 or so), there have been 3 rookies that immediately came in and succeeded. Patrick Willis, Nick Bosa, and now Trey Lance. The level of intrigue with this guy is crazy! I liked how John Lynch in the interview with Maiocco was saying the other HOF inductees like Calvin and Peyton were asking him about Lance. And your point is very astute - this is one of, if not the best situation a rookie QB has ever had.

I'm very interested to see what happens over the next few weeks. If the Niners are confident in Jimmy and still plan to have him start Week 1, I'm confident Jimmy wins football games when healthy and the team hasn't been this healthy since the SB. But I think we need to roll the dice with Lance. I think Jimmy G is a very good quarterback when healthy and is a proven winner, but I contend the team lifted Jimmy more so than Jimmy lifted the team. His ~250 yds passing 2 TDs and 1 INT per game can be replaced.

The real question is whether to trade/cut him or pay him his full salary. That's the real question. You trade/cut him and add some depth with the extra money (possibly at the trade deadline) or you keep him as the best backup in the league and a guy who can take you to the SB if Lance gets injured. One way you're putting all the chips in for a SB, the other way pretty much assures yourself of a winning season and a playoff birth.

I'd lean towards trading/cutting him or at least reworking his deal. If Jimmy plays this season and gets injured, we could end up being on the hook for his salary both this year and next year. If that happened, it would kill any chance we had of retaining a lot of our FAs next season.

Originally posted by 49ersRing:
I'd lean towards trading/cutting him or at least reworking his deal. If Jimmy plays this season and gets injured, we could end up being on the hook for his salary both this year and next year. If that happened, it would kill any chance we had of retaining a lot of our FAs next season.

I agree. I think the 22M or so saved by cutting/trading him is too valuable. And there's no way Jimmy takes less, and he shouldn't take less. His trade value is more dependent on the level of desperation from the other team. Every play he's out there, is a play that he could get injured and then we're stuck paying him top dollar to rehab and squandering the rookie contract.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:

This, to me, is the biggest issue. I believe there are solid arguments both for and against moving on from Jimmy. But, if the injury ties JG to the 49ers beyond this year, that would be a mighty big risk. And that would be the one argument I think must be considered before any others. Again though, I do not know how an injury effects the future for the 49ers and JG. But, if you are correct, and it binds him to the 49ers, yeah....I'd rather roll the dice with Lance, because the chances of Jimmy (or any player for that matter) getting injured, aren't exactly insignificant.

If the injury doesn't bind Jimmy to the 49ers though, I think the argument about having two solid QBs is a strong one. It's not one I agree with, because of what it assumes could happen, but I see and understand the rationale.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Go, Trey, go!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Doesn't sound like Trey is going to win the starters spot, so I'm looking foward to see him in some packages. Next year it will be his team. I can wait.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Doesn't sound like Trey is going to win the starters spot, so I'm looking foward to see him in some packages. Next year it will be his team. I can wait.

The start of the season is over a month away. Nothing is decided.
Share 49ersWebzone