There are 190 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Doesn't sound like Trey is going to win the starters spot, so I'm looking foward to see him in some packages. Next year it will be his team. I can wait.

The start of the season is over a month away. Nothing is decided.

Yeah, I know, but I think Shanny is going to give Jimmy every opportunity to win the job. I know it's not over, but it would take a lot for Trey to win the job.
Doesn't sound like Trey is going to win the starters spot, so I'm looking foward to see him in some packages. Next year it will be his team. I can wait.

Yeah, I know, but I think Shanny is going to give Jimmy every opportunity to win the job. I know it's not over, but it would take a lot for Trey to win the job.

Stay the course my man, Kyle is trolling everyone, he'll use the mesh point fumbles (none of them with a starting RB yet) as an excuse to get Trey more 1st team reps.

By the Chargers game Trey will play a whole quarter with the 1's after Jimmy goes out, and by week 1 he'll be the starter.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

Stay the course my man, Kyle is trolling everyone, he'll use the mesh point fumbles (none of them with a starting RB yet) as an excuse to get Trey more 1st team reps.

By the Chargers game Trey will play a whole quarter with the 1's after Jimmy goes out, and by week 1 he'll be the starter.

lol and then he'll go 16-0 en route to being the first ever rookie Super Bowl MVP.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Keeping the faith - we still got a month before opening day.
Originally posted by Niners99:

lol and then he'll go 16-0 en route to being the first ever rookie Super Bowl MVP.

This is what I don't think people understand, there's much more to this than who is the better QB right now.

There are two things that I firmly believe.

1) Trey gives us the best chance to win this year.

Now if we asked both QB's to dropback 50 times a game and shread the D, I'd probably pick Jimmy early on, but we won't, we're going to play good defense and run the ball. Trey is a huge boost to our run game both due to his rushing ability, the threat of it and his ability to push it deep if the D cheats.

Kyle will have to manage both QB's who will make errors, Trey as a rookie, and Jimmy because he always has.

Kyle + Trey > Kyle + Jimmy.

2) The experience Trey will get this year, regardless of the results will set us up for a Superbowl run next year.

I believe this is our best path to a Superbowl, Trey may have rookie errors that cost us in a big game this year, however I'm confident that he will develop and not make them again.
Originally posted by Bloodless:
I am telling you all this 2 Qb system stuff as the reason why Trey will now be getting more looks with the 1s is a lie. This is all just a way of making it a QB competition without calling it one. That way if they end up finding out that Trey isn't ready and they want to develop him some more. They can just say that was the plan all along. They can make it the Narrative of it was not that Trey was not able to beat Jimmy G out for starter. It will be that Trey sitting and learning was always the plan. If Trey is better which I think they think he is. Once/If he proves he is better then they will make it official and tell everyone that Lance is the starting QB. I think it is smart. They are making it a competition without putting added pressure on the two QBs.

I highly doubt Kyle is lying about this. It would be easy for anyone at camp/practices to see if Trey is running the same plays as Jimmy or just the plays from his packages.
Originally posted by Jikkle49:
If he's talented enough to play situationally he's talented enough to play all the time.

There is nothing wrong with sitting him but there is nothing wrong with playing him either. There have been QBs that have started their rookie season and were fine and some that sat and were fine as well.

A big thing to keep in mind is this is some terrible roster with no talent. Lance wouldn't be like Burrow walking into a trash fire of a roster but he'd have plenty of talent around him that the weight of the world wouldn't be on him.

Based on what the 9ers did in the draft and offseason they plan on running the ball and running it a lot so we're likely to see 2019 levels of running the ball. That's actual one of the biggest reasons to start Lance is with him as the QB it opens the running game way more than Jimmy does.

Lance is a threat to run the ball and he's already had multiple 30+ yard completions in camp whereas Jimmy's longest is 25 yards so defenses are going to have to respect the deep ball and they can't crowd the LOS like they can with Jimmy.

You mean like Taysom Hill?
I'd lean towards trading/cutting him or at least reworking his deal. If Jimmy plays this season and gets injured, we could end up being on the hook for his salary both this year and next year. If that happened, it would kill any chance we had of retaining a lot of our FAs next season.

No, we wouldn't be on the hook in 2022 for his full salary. It would be at most $7.5 million and would be $0 if he is able to pass a physical before the league year begins.
Also kind of funny how Kyle ran the ball 3 straight times the scrimmage Saturday instead of throwing it on 3rd and 6

I think you might mean 17-0 .

Originally posted by joeknows:

I think you might mean 17-0 .

Technically 20-0 if he's winning the Super Bowl. Unless he isn't starting until after week 4, then 16-0 would make sense.
Light em up Lance.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Light em up Lance.

This is what I don't think people understand, there's much more to this than who is the better QB right now.

There are two things that I firmly believe.

1) Trey gives us the best chance to win this year.

Now if we asked both QB's to dropback 50 times a game and shread the D, I'd probably pick Jimmy early on, but we won't, we're going to play good defense and run the ball. Trey is a huge boost to our run game both due to his rushing ability, the threat of it and his ability to push it deep if the D cheats.

Kyle will have to manage both QB's who will make errors, Trey as a rookie, and Jimmy because he always has.

Kyle + Trey > Kyle + Jimmy.

2) The experience Trey will get this year, regardless of the results will set us up for a Superbowl run next year.

I believe this is our best path to a Superbowl, Trey may have rookie errors that cost us in a big game this year, however I'm confident that he will develop and not make them again.

I fully agree with this. Our Offense would most likely look better early on with JG at the helm, but I believe it would be so much more difficult to defend with Trey leading the way later on In the season.... The type of plays Kyle would cook up with Trey at Qb would give Defenses fits.
[ Edited by Sickaa on Aug 9, 2021 at 8:54 AM ]
Think this is a good article to read regarding accuracy and how it can be improved.

Sounds like during the 40 days off between OTAs and TC Lance worked with Avery and Beck on his base and footwork (Breer article talks about it). I expect that to continue to improve with more time and reps.
Share 49ersWebzone