There are 227 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by Spartan:
Me, too, NinerBuff, as far as being being excited; I don't think a draft prospect with such a high ceiling has ever gone immediately to a team with a SB-caliber roster! It's very tantalizing, and this move might reflect a FO resourcefulness akin to something out of Bill Walsh's foresight in recognizing a Mississippi college receiver named Jerry Rice for his system in 1985, or the ultra-viable Herschel Walker trade of 1989 by Jimmy Johnson and Jerry Jones. The Chiefs fans claim they have the best GM in football, but Trent Williams wasn't swayed. He stayed here! Trey already can look forward to having one of the best Olineman protecting his blindside. I could be wrong, but it seems the head-turning/ jaw-dropping buzz over Trey is heavier than that of the other three in training camp (Lawrence, Wilson and Fields).

The pass from Trey earlier this week described as one 'not thought a human can make' is of course silly grandiosity from a homer, but the skill is there! He will make that in real games against top-notch defenses with his top-notch OL in front of him and throwing to the the likes Aiyuk and Kittle et el.

Go Niners

First off, welcome! Go Niners!

Since I've been following the Niners closely (2003 or so), there have been 3 rookies that immediately came in and succeeded. Patrick Willis, Nick Bosa, and now Trey Lance. The level of intrigue with this guy is crazy! I liked how John Lynch in the interview with Maiocco was saying the other HOF inductees like Calvin and Peyton were asking him about Lance. And your point is very astute - this is one of, if not the best situation a rookie QB has ever had.

I'm very interested to see what happens over the next few weeks. If the Niners are confident in Jimmy and still plan to have him start Week 1, I'm confident Jimmy wins football games when healthy and the team hasn't been this healthy since the SB. But I think we need to roll the dice with Lance. I think Jimmy G is a very good quarterback when healthy and is a proven winner, but I contend the team lifted Jimmy more so than Jimmy lifted the team. His ~250 yds passing 2 TDs and 1 INT per game can be replaced.

The real question is whether to trade/cut him or pay him his full salary. That's the real question. You trade/cut him and add some depth with the extra money (possibly at the trade deadline) or you keep him as the best backup in the league and a guy who can take you to the SB if Lance gets injured. One way you're putting all the chips in for a SB, the other way pretty much assures yourself of a winning season and a playoff birth.

Thanks, and you too social1632! The way it looks, there no downside!

Indeed, a QB by committee while Trey Lance gets 'ready' to be a starter is probably not what Shanahan has in mind. I've read and heard they may be showcasing Jimmy to maximize his trade value, but I think the NFL personnel who administer those moves for their respective teams know full well who Jimmy Garoppolo is. His health will be assessed, but they know who and what he is, and he's not surprising anybody.

I'm floating this, as we shouldn't too surprised what transpires until opening day, but Trey Lance is clearly special, and Shanahan's forte is run-game designing - even without the threat Lance brings to the table! Of course Trey will need to acclimate, but how much is he going to learn 'from the sideline' (beyond a couple regular season games)? I doubt Mahomes got better because he sat behind a mic for a year. Nothing so far in training camp has remotely revealed any 'not ready' circumstances for Lance (experience comes from getting in there and playing). Lance is already a QB power-style player, and sifting him into the Niners run game is something they should be able to excel at almost immediately. The running threat this brings will often render the YAC brothers more open than usual (on top of that, Kyle the Juice may be the best catching FB in the league!). Trey's potential will add options to the passing game. It all hinges on this great - I'm being 'reasonably' optimistic, I feel - OL we will have. McGlinchey seems to have eliminated the serious liability problem he regressed into last year, and the presence of Mack at center should really add more holistic stability across the line.

We'll see what happens, and the anticipation of watching Trey take snaps this Saturday against the Chiefs is thrilling! Last year was aberrational, with the injuries, and the way things look this time with our personnel is very auspicious. But as the great Chris Berman would emphasize - "folks, that's why they actually play the games!"

Go Niners!
[ Edited by Spartan on Aug 9, 2021 at 1:11 PM ]

Indeed, a QB by committee while Trey Lance gets 'ready' to be a starter is probably not what Shanahan has in mind. I've read and heard they may be showcasing Jimmy to maximize his trade value, but I think the NFL personnel who administer those moves for their respective teams know full well who Jimmy Garoppolo is. His health will be assessed, but they know who and what he is, and he's not surprising anybody.

There is a difference between league front offices knowing what a QB's value is and what his team thinks that value is. Whenever you enter a negotiation for an asset there is the price you're trying to acquire that asset for and the price the owner of that asset is willing to take in exchange for it. The main point of pumping up Jimmy's trade value doesn't lie in how much other teams value him as a QB but in how much value Kyle and Jon place upon him. They are talking him up in public because they want it known that his skills are so valuable to the franchise they won't be willing to part from him for anything less than the right price right now. Doing otherwise would devalue an asset they will most likely trade somewhere down the line in the season or next offseason.
Originally posted by RasSuar:
There is a difference between league front offices knowing what a QB's value is and what his team thinks that value is. Whenever you enter a negotiation for an asset there is the price you're trying to acquire that asset for and the price the owner of that asset is willing to take in exchange for it. The main point of pumping up Jimmy's trade value doesn't lie in how much other teams value him as a QB but in how much value Kyle and Jon place upon him. They are talking him up in public because they want it known that his skills are so valuable to the franchise they won't be willing to part from him for anything less than the right price right now. Doing otherwise would devalue an asset they will most likely trade somewhere down the line in the season or next offseason.

Mmm. Future negotiators will pay the 'right price' if Kyle and John display some amelioration for Jimmy? I don't think future takers are going to think Jimmy is more valuable to them per se because the Niners are pumping him up; they still know the inherent value and resume of Jimmy Garoppolo commensurate to what they are looking for. But, they wouldn't pump him up if not for a pragmatic reason. It sounds like economics you know more about than I, so thanks, if you're right.

Go Niners
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Go, Trey, go!
The only thing that I don't want to see happen is the Fitz/Tua dynamic from last year.

The Dolphins had clearly pre determined that Tua would come in after their bye week, issue was that Fitz was playing well. The change came with a lot of criticism (which had to have built pressure on Tua) they then flip flopped between the two the rest of the way.

It does concern me that we have the Lions & Eagles week 1 & 2. Both QB's should win them, even on the road.

I'd far rather that was a nice confidence building start for Trey, than a potential road blocking start for Jimmy.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
May the best man win - I don't want any favoritism.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Aug 9, 2021 at 11:06 PM ]
Originally posted by Polkadots:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
I'd lean towards trading/cutting him or at least reworking his deal. If Jimmy plays this season and gets injured, we could end up being on the hook for his salary both this year and next year. If that happened, it would kill any chance we had of retaining a lot of our FAs next season.

This, to me, is the biggest issue. I believe there are solid arguments both for and against moving on from Jimmy. But, if the injury ties JG to the 49ers beyond this year, that would be a mighty big risk. And that would be the one argument I think must be considered before any others. Again though, I do not know how an injury effects the future for the 49ers and JG. But, if you are correct, and it binds him to the 49ers, yeah....I'd rather roll the dice with Lance, because the chances of Jimmy (or any player for that matter) getting injured, aren't exactly insignificant.

If the injury doesn't bind Jimmy to the 49ers though, I think the argument about having two solid QBs is a strong one. It's not one I agree with, because of what it assumes could happen, but I see and understand the rationale.

AB posted this in the training camp thread.

Originally posted by AB81Rules:

I reported this earlier, but Jimmy has $7.5M in injury guarantees for 2021 & 2022, but not the April 1 kind, he only gets it if he's cut while being injured, it kicked in when the 49ers made the NFC Title game during the 2019-20 season.
Mmm. Future negotiators will pay the 'right price' if Kyle and John display some amelioration for Jimmy?
Go Niners

Is amelioration the word you are looking for here? Or do you mean admiration? Anyways, the point is that you always pump up the value of an asset if you're going to trade it. Why? For a very simple reason. You always want to negotiate from a position of strength by making the asset seems as valuable as possible.
Part of me wants Jimmy to start so Trey doesn't have so much pressure on him (this isn't a junk team like the chargers last year who would be happy with a better than expected rookie QB campaign) but the other part knows shanahan would draw up some pretty favorable s**t for Trey.

I don't know, I'm cool with whatever happens
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Part of me wants Jimmy to start so Trey doesn't have so much pressure on him (this isn't a junk team like the chargers last year who would be happy with a better than expected rookie QB campaign) but the other part knows shanahan would draw up some pretty favorable s**t for Trey.

I don't know, I'm cool with whatever happens

Well, I was planning on letting Shanahan decide!

Sit back and enjoy it!

Wonderful position to be in for once.

Good times are coming.
Originally posted by English:
Well, I was planning on letting Shanahan decide!

Well he's going to no matter what, but unlike something like him picking Mac Jones, where I would have been f**king furious, I'm ok with what he decides here
Originally posted by mayo49:

Kyle already made his decision way before training camp began unfortunately... There was no competition to begin with.
Originally posted by Sickaa:

Kyle already made his decision way before training camp began unfortunately... There was no competition to begin with.

You mean on draft night?
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by Sickaa:

You mean on draft night?

Lance was drafted to replace Jimmy at some point, I don't believe the plan was for a rookie to start the season.
Share 49ersWebzone