There are 210 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by ronniefreakinlott42:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
I guess the plan was to have Flacco or mac jones as starter also

Where did you come up with that? Have any links to back it up?
i was just adding to his list

but we did bring in flacco for a visit
I was just listening to Candlestick Chronicles podcast featuring Nick Wagoner. They were talking about Shanahan saying using the word "situationally" when talking about Trey playing. This got me thinking about the best situations that he would be able to offer more then Jimmy:

Red zone - This seems the most obvious he has shined at this through out camp (expect the 6 sec drill today). He causes new threats that make it easier to get people open and force the defense to account for him.

Short yarded - See Red zone

Between the 40s - In the past we grind all day every day. If we get a big play here it is from the run game. Teams have been moving to going big and using the QB to get 5 - 10 yards if it is not there. I think Lance will be much better hear where again you can force the defense into the coverage and have less to loose.
Originally posted by TownNiner:
https://youtu.be/ztcWT4b6vCg

Good watch there
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Lance was drafted to replace Jimmy at some point, I don't believe the plan was for a rookie to start the season.

I think the "plan" has had many forms this offseason:

• The plan was to pursue Watson (until it wasn't)
  • The plan was to pursue Stafford (until he signed with LA)
  • The plan was to pursue Rodgers (even if it was a pipe dream)
  • Then the plan was to secure a top QB draft pick with Lance as the favorite and Jimmy as the presumptive starter
  • Then it was Lance and Garoppolo split reps in a 2-QB system
  • Next...

My point being that the goal posts keep moving, and definitely since Lance has been so effective early in his development.

That seems like the accurate timeline since January. Look at the quality of each tasked part of the plan. This organization has returned to its special plateau of the 1980s! The likes of Verrett and Trent Williams are going to shine in a place they are respected and happy with, etc. I see so much potential in play-actions, etc., with Lance having Kittle, Juice, Deebo and Aiyuk as his targets!

Thank you for the YouTube interview of Trey Lance, TownNiner; the mature and composed mindset of him is impressive.

Go Niners!
[ Edited by Spartan on Aug 10, 2021 at 8:55 PM ]
Originally posted by mojave45:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I think the "plan" has had many forms this offseason:

• The plan was to pursue Watson (until it wasn't)
  • The plan was to pursue Stafford (until he signed with LA)
  • The plan was to pursue Rodgers (even if it was a pipe dream)
  • Then the plan was to secure a top QB draft pick with Lance as the favorite and Jimmy as the presumptive starter
  • Then it was Lance and Garoppolo split reps in a 2-QB system
  • Next...

My point being that the goal posts keep moving, and definitely since Lance has been so effective early in his development.

Effective at practice? I don't count a player as effective until its shown in games.

On legit teams you have to be effective at practice in order to show it in games,...or you sit and ride the pine.

They're certainly not mutually exclusive.
[ Edited by random49er on Aug 10, 2021 at 8:55 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Even after all these years, Vernon still tries to act like Radnich.
Originally posted by tohara3:

Good watch there
I know the guy next to him is tiny but he looks like a giant. I hope They make sure he doesn't put too much muscle on his arms. Seems like any bigger would be a negative vs a positive.
Originally posted by spraked:
I was just listening to Candlestick Chronicles podcast featuring Nick Wagoner. They were talking about Shanahan saying using the word "situationally" when talking about Trey playing. This got me thinking about the best situations that he would be able to offer more then Jimmy:

Red zone - This seems the most obvious he has shined at this through out camp (expect the 6 sec drill today). He causes new threats that make it easier to get people open and force the defense to account for him.

Between the 40s - In the past we grind all day every day. If we get a big play here it is from the run game. Teams have been moving to going big and using the QB to get 5 - 10 yards if it is not there. I think Lance will be much better hear where again you can force the defense into the coverage and have less to loose.

So JG plays between our own goal line to our own 40 and between the 40 and 20 of the opposing teams side? Hmmm.

I think if KS believes TL is ready than start him from the get go. If he is not, roll with JG until he either loses his starting spot due to injury or because of poor play.

Imo, a 2 QB system is not good for an offense, nor is it good for either QB as it can be detrimental to the rhythm of the game.
I just am excited at the prospect of the SeaKarens having to go thru headaches dealing with OUR dynamic QB for a change
[ Edited by Young2Owens on Aug 10, 2021 at 9:50 PM ]
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
Unless he has a MVP & SBMVP season, this year will be Jimmy's swan song. Once it's done, the offense will be the Trey show

Honestly with Jimmy starting, I don't think we even win the division. I mean…we have the least talented QB in it and yet fans think we're gonna dominant for some reason

Originally posted by spraked:

So…basically just start him then.
Ok Grant
Originally posted by YACBros85:
So JG plays between our own goal line to our own 40 and between the 40 and 20 of the opposing teams side? Hmmm.

I think if KS believes TL is ready than start him from the get go. If he is not, roll with JG until he either loses his starting spot due to injury or because of poor play.

Imo, a 2 QB system is not good for an offense, nor is it good for either QB as it can be detrimental to the rhythm of the game.

If he loses to poor play then what about his development? Wasn't the whole reason to sit him was because Jimmy gives us the best chance and treys not ready? So now treys playing in a desperate situation with tremendous pressure to right the ship.

seems it would be simpler to just start him.
Originally posted by BeatWriter:
Originally posted by YACBros85:

If he loses to poor play then what about his development? Wasn't the whole reason to sit him was because Jimmy gives us the best chance and treys not ready? So now treys playing in a desperate situation with tremendous pressure to right the ship.

seems it would be simpler to just start him.

think he meant Jimmy G.
Originally posted by BeatWriter:
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
Unless he has a MVP & SBMVP season, this year will be Jimmy's swan song. Once it's done, the offense will be the Trey show

Honestly with Jimmy starting, I don't think we even win the division. I mean…we have the least talented QB in it and yet fans think we're gonna dominant for some reason

That maybe true, but I think our team is overall most talented so hopefully that makes up for it since it's been done before.
[ Edited by DRCHOWDER on Aug 10, 2021 at 11:59 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone