There are 233 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by BeatWriter:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
So JG plays between our own goal line to our own 40 and between the 40 and 20 of the opposing teams side? Hmmm.

I think if KS believes TL is ready than start him from the get go. If he is not, roll with JG until he either loses his starting spot due to injury or because of poor play.

Imo, a 2 QB system is not good for an offense, nor is it good for either QB as it can be detrimental to the rhythm of the game.

If he loses to poor play then what about his development? Wasn't the whole reason to sit him was because Jimmy gives us the best chance and treys not ready? So now treys playing in a desperate situation with tremendous pressure to right the ship.

seems it would be simpler to just start him.

So if Jimmy struggles or gets injured, we shouldn't start Trey because he will be playing in a desperate situation?
Honestly with Jimmy starting, I don't think we even win the division. I mean…we have the least talented QB in it and yet fans think we're gonna dominant for some reason

But this is different because it's Jimmy+Trey Lance. Trey will get a half dozen plays a game. Also if Jimmy struggles at all, Kyle won't hesitate to pull him because he has his new toy to replace him at any moment. Jimmy is going to have to be atleast 2019 Jimmy to keep his job and 2019 Jimmy with this current roster is good enough to win the division.
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Honestly with Jimmy starting, I don't think we even win the division. I mean…we have the least talented QB in it and yet fans think we're gonna dominant for some reason

But this is different because it's Jimmy+Trey Lance. Trey will get a half dozen plays a game. Also if Jimmy struggles at all, Kyle won't hesitate to pull him because he has his new toy to replace him at any moment. Jimmy is going to have to be atleast 2019 Jimmy to keep his job and 2019 Jimmy with this current roster is good enough to win the division.

So you're suggesting we do what the Dolphins did with Fitz and Tua? I'd rather not, that looked awful. Or you saying once Jimmy struggles then Trey replaces him for good?
This is the first time i've been excited about 49ers quarterback since Kaepernick, and yes I got that one wrong. Before Kaepernick literally it was Steve Young.

I don't think I'm wrong this time. Kaepernick could have worked out and he had flashes of greatness, but he got too into his fame, the attention, and his controversies, and he did not focus on football. I don't think I misjudged Kaepernick's potential, I misjudged his character and his commitment.

Trey Lance has FAR more ability, more football intelligence, and more talent. But he also has the most important thing that I overlooked before. He obsesses about being great. As most of you probably know, he spent all 40 days of his time off flying to three different states working with multiple quarterback coaches. He's also had workout sessions with some of his receivers during his "off time."

I will bet big money he is going to turn into something special.

In sports you do have the rare physical freaks who become great on talent and athleticism alone, the Randy Moss's of the world. But most of the greats, like Jerry Rice, obsess about becoming great and staying so. They don't just put in the work when it's time for practice. They put in the work on their own time as well, like Trey Lance has been doing.

I hope fame and fortune doesn't change them over the next couple years. If he stays like he is I'm excited to see what he can become. He seems like a good kid who was raised well, so I'm optimistic.
[ Edited by ArmySean on Aug 11, 2021 at 3:53 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I need some goddamn Trey Lance news.
So JG plays between our own goal line to our own 40 and between the 40 and 20 of the opposing teams side? Hmmm.

I think if KS believes TL is ready than start him from the get go. If he is not, roll with JG until he either loses his starting spot due to injury or because of poor play.

Imo, a 2 QB system is not good for an offense, nor is it good for either QB as it can be detrimental to the rhythm of the game.

If he loses to poor play then what about his development? Wasn't the whole reason to sit him was because Jimmy gives us the best chance and treys not ready? So now treys playing in a desperate situation with tremendous pressure to right the ship.

seems it would be simpler to just start him.

If he cant handle that he will never make it int he NFL
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
Unless he has a MVP & SBMVP season, this year will be Jimmy's swan song. Once it's done, the offense will be the Trey show

That maybe true, but I think our team is overall most talented so hopefully that makes up for it since it's been done before.

I think the NFC West will be a tough competitive battle between the Niners and rams this year. I'm confident we have enough ammunition to win the division, regardless of who starts at QB for us.

1..Niners
2..Rams
3..Hawks
4..Cards

That's how I see It playing out this year.
[ Edited by Sickaa on Aug 11, 2021 at 4:55 AM ]
Unless he has a MVP & SBMVP season, this year will be Jimmy's swan song. Once it's done, the offense will be the Trey show

According to a lot of people, we had the least talented QB in the division in 2019 also.
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
According to a lot of people, we had the least talented QB in the division in 2019 also.

I'd say Murray has gotten better and LA upgraded at QB too. I also think 2019 was a pretty magical run, we had a lot go right but such is the case for every team that gets that far.

We will see, you know how I feel about Jimmy...I don't see him as a QB that can consistently get a team to the playoffs and beyond, just my opinion though
Originally posted by 49ers808:
So you're suggesting we do what the Dolphins did with Fitz and Tua? I'd rather not, that looked awful. Or you saying once Jimmy struggles then Trey replaces him for good?

One situation and example has nothing to do with the other. But history would support your opinion.

Originally posted by NYniner85:

I'd say Murray has gotten better and LA upgraded at QB too. I also think 2019 was a pretty magical run, we had a lot go right but such is the case for every team that gets that far.

We will see, you know how I feel about Jimmy...I don't see him as a QB that can consistently get a team to the playoffs and beyond, just my opinion though

Jimmy is definitely in the perfect position with the talent, scheme, and having Kyle. He is not a guy that can carry a borderline playoff team for an entire season. A healthy Jimmy on the 2020 Patriots for example, is probably not getting them into the postseason.

That being said, I still think he is the better option for the 2021 49ers to compete for a championship. Trey has a month to change my mind (or more importantly, Kyle's).
Start this man.

And those people were probably right, but luckily it's a team game. We probably had the worst QB in the playoffs in 2019, but were able to overcome it (until we weren't able to anymore.)
So if Jimmy struggles or gets injured, we shouldn't start Trey because he will be playing in a desperate situation?

Yes. What would be better. Starting week 1 or thrown into a game where we're possibly losing
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
And those people were probably right, but luckily it's a team game. We probably had the worst QB in the playoffs in 2019, but were able to overcome it (until we weren't able to anymore.)

Doesn't seem like a solid plan if you ask me. Seems like people are thinking we're gonna dominate again as well.
goff had a magical year until people figured him out, I see the same happening to Jimmy.

seems to be trending that way as well but many fans are still living in the memory of 2019.
Share 49ersWebzone