Originally posted by 49ersRing:

The CEO of a franchise

At 21 dude just gets it and has the physical talent to boot
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

The CEO of a franchise

This shows why Shanalynch fell in love with him. The epitome of a "golden hat" or whatever they cal the guys who check all the professionalism and character boxes.

Still think Shanny is gonna ride with JG into the season… his track record has been that he's too loyal to guys in the past…* cough* Coleman. But damn JG is gonna be on a short leash. IMO Shanny wants to see Lance go through a couple weeks of real season week to week prep before he's confident enough to give him the keys. By all accounts he's gonna pass that test with flying colors and once he does… the moment JG gets an ankle tweak or a couple bad games in a row, he'll be riding the bench for the rest of the season.

but let's remember, Shanny is loyal to a fault. So a bunch of fans will have pitchforks out for a couple weeks if JG sucks, cause it's gonna take more than 1-2 bad games before Shanny pulls him.

Yes but he needs to sit, and get it even more.
Originally posted by BeatWriter:

You don't learn by sitting. He needs the reps and he still has way outplayed JG during camp. He'll be so outplayed during preseason that Trey will start on Day 1.
Originally posted by frenchtoast:

You don't learn by sitting. He needs the reps and he still has way outplayed JG during camp. He'll be so outplayed during preseason that Trey will start on Day 1.

But you do... when you start a job do they throw you into it with no training or do they usually assign a mentor to teach you the ropes? Lance looks the part but it's training camp. He hasnt gone through game plans, hasnt gone through the week to week grind, doesnt have the same knowledge of NFL defenses as a vet. Not saying he cant, but again Shanny is uber loyal to those that know his system in and out. Its why Sanu and Mathews get resigned every other week.

Talent-wise Lance will become the starter eventually, but he has to prove he can read more than one defense before he supplants JG. Thats gonna happen behind close doors in the QB room and when it does then he will be the starter. As much as he outplays JG against the 2nd string D, none of it matters till he gains the confidence of the coaches showing he can read an NFL defense on a week to week basis. At this point, familiarity within the system and reading defenses is what JG still has the upper hand.

Unfortunately for the fans who want a change right now, he cant really prove that in the film room until the regular season starts and he answers all the coaches questions about defensive film correctly. Preseason defenses are still just vanilla. Look at Peyton Mannings first year with easier defenses to read than the modern NFL, and he may be the smartest QB to have ever played the position, and he wasnt on a team that was expected to be a contender the moment he arrived. Then look at the QBs that got to sit a year or two and instantly had success... its a process.
[ Edited by TheRickestRick on Aug 11, 2021 at 6:59 PM ]
Originally posted by TheRickestRick:
But you do... when you start a job do they throw you into it with no training or do they usually assign a mentor to teach you the ropes? Lance looks the part but it's training camp. He hasnt gone through game plans, hasnt gone through the week to week grind, doesnt have the same knowledge of NFL defenses as a vet. Not saying he cant, but again Shanny is uber loyal to those that know his system in and out. Its why Sanu and Mathews get resigned every other week.

Trey has already done this weekly grind

the entire covid year he did NFL style prep every week and his work was checked by NFL qbs

if you aren't familiar with his back story and work ethic it is a good read.

Lance took advantage of Avery's work with NFL players to devise a weekly routine of installing game plans as if he were a professional starting quarterback.

Lance's work consisted of working on base down plays on Mondays, third downs on Tuesdays and red zone on Wednesday. On Thursday, he would review the work from the previous days of the week, as well as study and prepare to face an opposition's blitz package.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/2021-nfl-draft-what-trey-lance-did-past-year-improve-qb

tons of articles like this about how he spent his year pre draft
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:

Trey has already done this weekly grind

the entire covid year he did NFL style prep every week and his work was checked by NFL qbs

if you aren't familiar with his back story and work ethic it is a good read.

Lance took advantage of Avery's work with NFL players to devise a weekly routine of installing game plans as if he were a professional starting quarterback.

Lance's work consisted of working on base down plays on Mondays, third downs on Tuesdays and red zone on Wednesday. On Thursday, he would review the work from the previous days of the week, as well as study and prepare to face an opposition's blitz package.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/2021-nfl-draft-what-trey-lance-did-past-year-improve-qb

tons of articles like this about how he spent his year pre draft

Again, not saying he can't... but look at Shanny's history with players. There has been plenty of times fans question his "in season" personnel decisions. Players got to prove it. Wilson jr. was a way better RB than Coleman off the bat and it took injuries before he became a staple at the RB position. Thats all Im sayin. Regardless of any work a player puts in beforehand, in terms of starting Shanny doesnt care unless the player is forced into the spot via injuries or proves it in the film room. Whether we like it or not, the possibility of proving it wont truly happen till the season comes. He's still focusing on grasping a very complicated offense which by all accounts he is excelling at. But again, it's Kyle's way to hold people out until he fully trusts them regardless of how much better they are then the presumptive starter. Just look at JG when he first arrived vs Beathard and I cant even remember the other QB was it Hoyer? Still took him a month.
Again, not saying he can't... but look at Shanny's history with players. There has been plenty of times fans question his "in season" personnel decisions. Players got to prove it. Wilson jr. was a way better RB than Coleman off the bat and it took injuries before he became a staple at the RB position. Thats all Im sayin. Regardless of any work a player puts in beforehand, in terms of starting Shanny doesnt care unless the player is forced into the spot via injuries or proves it in the film room. Whether we like it or not, the possibility of proving it wont truly happen till the season comes. He's still focusing on grasping a very complicated offense which by all accounts he is excelling at. But again, it's Kyle's way to hold people out until he fully trusts them regardless of how much better they are then the presumptive starter. Just look at JG when he first arrived vs Beathard and I cant even remember the other QB was it Hoyer? Still took him a month.

Shanny made RG3 looked ready and he came from an air raid system. I don't even want to compare RG3 with Lances work ethic.

I believe many fans still want Jimmy cause they haven't seen Lance yet. Once they do, i sure they'll start to quiet down.

cause at the end of the day, we're trying to win games here. Not appease the ego of a guy whose already made millions

jimmy shill lombardi!

Shanny made RG3 looked ready and he came from an air raid system. I don't even want to compare RG3 with Lances work ethic.

I believe many fans still want Jimmy cause they haven't seen Lance yet. Once they do, i sure they'll start to quiet down.

cause at the end of the day, we're trying to win games here. Not appease the ego of a guy whose already made millions

RG# was a hard worker his problem was he had a knee injury and didnt recover from that

Well that was his dad, but also was a decision forced on them by Snyder. They wouldnt have drafted Cousins in the same draft had they fully trusted him and they had to begrudgingly change their offense to fit RG3's skill sets and literally told him he had to change his style if he wanted to have a career in the NFL. It was also the Kap-effect, defenses werent prepared for running QBs at the time. They also didnt have a QB that led them to a superbowl to compete with.

But the point again is not whether Lance can do better than JG as a rookie and its not about appeasing JG's ego or fanboyism... it's Shanny's ego and his history which makes it almost a lock that JG is gonna start the season. I'll be ecstatic if Lance starts the season because that means he has surpassed pretty much every barrier Kyle makes his players go through before they get on the field. He has a proven winner who makes mistakes but also tends to overcome them for the most part (outside of the SB). It's gonna take allot for Kyle to completely change who he has been for years, but hey if it happens then f*ck yeah!

I just want this team to win... but we also know how Kyle operates. Thats the only point to be made on who will be the week 1 starter. The pitchforks will be out the second JG loses a game, but look at Kyle's history... he sticks with vets longer than fans think he should, hard to envision thats gonna change unless there is an injury.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
i didn't change anything. We are still the top dog in our div.

if you want to put them on a pedestal above us, go ahead

Did you completely blank out for the entire season last year?

Did it just,....never happen?

Here I am thinking we have to work to claim it back.
Originally posted by random49er:

Lol, I followed it closely. You on the other hand only look at the final standings
  • JMC52
  • Veteran
Originally posted by random49er:

Lol, I followed it closely. You on the other hand only look at the final standings

Wow rams had a impressive PA last year didn't know
Originally posted by JMC52:
Wow rams had a impressive PA last year didn't know

Not sure if you've heard, but they have good players. Their issue is they are very top heavy, roster-wise. They have elite players and below average players starting.
Share 49ersWebzone