There are 242 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
We have added offensive personal geared in the direction of a strong/power run game. Kyle is setting it up so that a rookie that doesn't turn the ball over can take this team to the playoffs.

Not looking good for Jimmy based on that.
Originally posted by Joecool:
We have added offensive personal geared in the direction of a strong/power run game. Kyle is setting it up so that a rookie that doesn't turn the ball over can take this team to the playoffs.

Not looking good for Jimmy based on that.

All we need is for Lance to be smart with the ball and we'll be super bowl bound. He's too good not to start Imo.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by BeatWriter:
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Because teams don't switch Qbs Mid-season unless the team Is struggling to win games.. I just don't see Lance starting a game this season If JG Is week 1 starter. Unless JG gets Injured or struggles. I'd love to see Lance as the starter, but, I think Kyle will go with the Safer option and give JG another chance to prove himself.

If that's the case. We wait ain't winning the division. Sorry, but I think Jimmy is an average Qb in the toughest division in football.

I agree with BeatWriter. Miami was in contention last season and they switched QBs. But that's not the point either. Each of these situations are unique. Since the FO spent their future on Lance, they need him to succeed. They can win now with the incumbent starter, so there is no rush. I doubt Jimmy remains healthy but I don't think that will be a 49er problem. I still think Jimmy is cut or traded before the season. However, recent reports and speculation have been arguing that the Niners will eat a few weeks of Jimmy's salary looking for offers if needed. I doubt they keep him on the season throughout, but if they do, it'll signal that Shanahan and Lynch are primarily focused on making the playoffs, not necessarily winning a SB.
I seem to recall that Jimmy has a no trade clause in his contract and I doubt the team will just eat his salary this year by cutting him. Plus getting rid of him defeats the whole purpose of drafting Lance. The goal was to improve the QB room so that if the starter went down their season wouldn't go down with him. Jimmy is a more than adequate starter in this league. Lance is only 21 and has plenty of time to develop. Lynch is on record as saying he thinks the team is out of excuses and its time for them to start winning consistently. Putting in a rookie with 17 games of experience in Division II football probably isn't the best recipe for success. Getting rid of Jimmy and turning your QB room over to a rookie and a couple of underwhelming back-ups like Rosen or Sudfield isn't going to help them get that done either. I think Jimmy gets the nod as the starter and holds on to the job as long as he is playing well. If he were to get hurt or the season were to go south or some other reason then I imagine you would see Lance get more opportunities. What will undoubtedly happen though is that Jimmy will get ripped for every throw he misses, even if he ends up winning the game, and people in here will keep saying, 'Oh, Lance would have made that throw". or "Lance would have done it better". It will be inevitable, like death and taxes.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by random49er:
again..The Argument was against the claim that we are the inferior team in our division.

Don't back pedal now. make the bet

1) We're not inferior

2) We don't "own" the division as of now.

As a truther,... You should appreciate the corrections. If there are predictions about the future instead of discussing the present,... Make them in a separate post without trying to blur them together as 1 argument.
Thanks for proving me as correct

as for No2, you are arguing with yourself on that one.

Just give it a rest 49ATT. You said we were the top dog in the division, which until proven, is categorically false. If you want to say thats where we end up, that is a different argument all together. You have a problem of posting something and claiming you meant something else.

We have a great team, but play in a great division. Why cant we leave it at that?
Originally posted by 49ers81:
I seem to recall that Jimmy has a no trade clause in his contract and I doubt the team will just eat his salary this year by cutting him. Plus getting rid of him defeats the whole purpose of drafting Lance. The goal was to improve the QB room so that if the starter went down their season wouldn't go down with him. Jimmy is a more than adequate starter in this league. Lance is only 21 and has plenty of time to develop. Lynch is on record as saying he thinks the team is out of excuses and its time for them to start winning consistently. Putting in a rookie with 17 games of experience in Division II football probably isn't the best recipe for success. Getting rid of Jimmy and turning your QB room over to a rookie and a couple of underwhelming back-ups like Rosen or Sudfield isn't going to help them get that done either. I think Jimmy gets the nod as the starter and holds on to the job as long as he is playing well. If he were to get hurt or the season were to go south or some other reason then I imagine you would see Lance get more opportunities. What will undoubtedly happen though is that Jimmy will get ripped for every throw he misses, even if he ends up winning the game, and people in here will keep saying, 'Oh, Lance would have made that throw". or "Lance would have done it better". It will be inevitable, like death and taxes.

Cutting Jimmy before week 1 leaves only $2.4M in dead cap with $24M saving
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
again..The Argument was against the claim that we are the inferior team in our division.

1) We're not inferior

As a truther,... You should appreciate the corrections. If there are predictions about the future instead of discussing the present,... Make them in a separate post without trying to blur them together as 1 argument.
Thanks for proving me as correct

as for No2, you are arguing with yourself on that one.

Just give it a rest 49ATT. You said we were the top dog in the division, which until proven, is categorically false. If you want to say thats where we end up, that is a different argument all together. You have a problem of posting something and claiming you meant something else.

We have a great team, but play in a great division. Why cant we leave it at that?
hey if you want in on the bet, lets go
I think lance will look decent on Saturday. Probably some nerves plus first game in a while.
Originally posted by 49ers81:

Cutting Jimmy before week 1 leaves only $2.4M in dead cap with $24M saving

That doesn't really change the narrative. They would have to be absolutely convinced that Lance would be good enough to take them to the playoffs, plus cutting Jimmy, who is one of the most popular guys on the team, a week before the season could have a really poor effect on the locker room. I imagine most players understand that football is a business but that kind of ruthlessness could really damage the chemistry between Lynch and Shanahan and the players. The smarter move would be to let this season play out with Jimmy and Lance on the roster and then make the decision afterwards. Like I said, Lance is only 21, he has plenty of time to develop and Jimmy has already proven he is good enough to take the team to the Super Bowl. I don't think Lynch is interested in having a rookie QB learning on the job this year where his inexperience could easily cost them a game or two, when they have a roster that is pretty loaded.

1) We're not inferior

As a truther,... You should appreciate the corrections.

NOW,... if there are predictions about the future you want to make instead of discussing the present,...then make them in a separate post without trying to deceptively blur them together as 1 argument.

You're just wasting your time with him.

Originally posted by Sickaa:

As for Jimmy being cut, there's absolutely no need In cutting him, It's not like we need any cap space right now. I doubt he gets traded either this season since no team has really shown any Interest.

I agree that he won't get cut. I do think he could get traded but I don't think Lynchashan will ever go for a lowball offer. At least during the season. Some playoff team will lose their QB this year and be willing to pay a good price for Jimmy. The 49ers are in a great spot QB / potential trade wise.
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
If they keep him past week 1, they have to pay him all of his salary for 2021.

I've heard otherwise. Anyone know for sure?
not even the contract sites can confirm this..If cut or traded after 6/1 it's a 2.8 dead cap hit

he has no guarantees after his 2.8 DC hit.. I assume it's a week to week thing then?

It's a crucial detail, because it either means the Niners have motivation to move him before Week 1 or they don't.
i would think this would be a huge story to keep an eye on, but it's not ?

According to AB81:

How much of his salary is base salary?
I like when people throw up the 'every team has to deal with injuries' like losing your QB for 10+ games is the same as a team being without a guard.

If any other team in the West lost their QB, they'd have the #1 pick in the draft.

Uhmmmm,...but every team does have to deal with injuries, though?

Injuries don't suddenly make you the better team the following year and if anything, your players can alot of times be different players after them.

You don't get to magically erase 2020,....otherwise, we all would agree to doing so. But it just doesn't happen that way.

You do know that the initial comment was that the division is easily still ours, right? Clearly,...that statement just isint backed up by reality. We have to go out there and take it because it's very competitive.

The team wins 12 regular season games last year if healthy.

The 49ers are the frontrunners.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

frontrunner., don't go too far in being a fan, supporting your team or believing that health was the reason the team didn't win the division elsewhere.

It is important to show respect to the Lambs.
Share 49ersWebzone