LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 286 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by 49ers81:
Saw a headline in the news feed from Sports Illustrated, not sure if it was Cohn or not but it seems typical of what we can expect from the media going forward. The headline said, 'with one pass Lance shows why he should be the starter'. If playing QB in the NFL was just about being able to throw the ball a long way Kaepernick would probably still be playing. But that isn't the way things work. Lance seems like he has a lot of upside but the fact remains that he has 17 games of experience in Divison II football. As I said in another post, Lance probably doesn't even know yet what he doesn't know about playing QB in the NFL. He has plenty of time to learn though if the team doesn't try to put him in before he's ready. Go Niners!
Our fans down care about wins, it's all about style points

Some of us just understand that judging individual performance has little to do with winning and losing.

If we were talking about the 49ers, wins is almost all anyone cares about. But this thread is about an individual.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Saw a headline in the news feed from Sports Illustrated, not sure if it was Cohn or not but it seems typical of what we can expect from the media going forward. The headline said, 'with one pass Lance shows why he should be the starter'. If playing QB in the NFL was just about being able to throw the ball a long way Kaepernick would probably still be playing. But that isn't the way things work. Lance seems like he has a lot of upside but the fact remains that he has 17 games of experience in Divison II football. As I said in another post, Lance probably doesn't even know yet what he doesn't know about playing QB in the NFL. He has plenty of time to learn though if the team doesn't try to put him in before he's ready. Go Niners!

Some of us just understand that judging individual performance has little to do with winning and losing.

If we were talking about the 49ers, wins is almost all anyone cares about. But this thread is about an individual.

Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
Let's be honest... not an impressive performance.

Outside of an 80 yard pass that was perfectly designed, he didn't too much to show the supposed amazing intelligence and preparedness that everyone raved about. He's big with a live arm, but we already knew that.

He took way took way too many hits andngot gun shy when the first read was taken away... all to be expected from a kid who hasnt played football in over 300 days, but still, disappointing. He needs at least a year to sit.

D+ / C-

Once Lance is ready the playbook is going to be really opened up we truly will be able to attack every single blaze of grass on the field
The biggest takeaway from this weekend is thank God we didn't stay pat for kellen mond.

Of lance, Jones, and fields, I did think he looked the most like a rookie. He also showed the most salivation worthy flashes. Despite a shaky end to his night, I saw enough to get me very excited for the future. His first few throws were on the money, with some absolute darts such as the ball that was dropped by Richie James, and it's so refreshing to see someone with the balls to actually chuck it deep. He had Aiyuk wide open on a crosser at the sticks, but he took the big play and I'm not so sure that he was told to take that shot no matter what; I think that was his choice.

you could definitely tell that he was getting frustrated as his wide receivers and offensive lineman failed him more and more, and it started to permeate his body language and his forcing of some throws. Everything we hear is that he's smart and mature and emotionally and mentally strong and so hopefully this isn't a sign that he won't be able to handle the pressure and only a sign that he still has things to learn after not playing football for so long. I wonder if he was given directive by shanahan to not run, including scrambles. Some of those sacks he just went down and ate it rather than trying to make a play; not sure if that's from his training to not risk a fumble and live to see another day or if he was told to not try and scramble to prevent injury. I do think putting him with the starting oline and offensive weapons, and adding in the threat of him running, he can have a Justin Herbert level rookie season if he's given the opportunity.

Honestly, sometimes it's hard to evaluate our quarterbacks during live viewing just because shanahan's offense looks so much different than what we see other teams running, but I think overall he affirmed what the majority of us were thinking about him.
A nice part today was it didn't look like Lance was having no problem with getting the play call in. No procedural penalties, no delay games and no having to burn a timeout that I can remember.
Originally posted by socal1632:
We have no margin for error for injuries on the oline. Backups are garbage.🤢🤢🤢

It seems like our tradable assets are D-lineman and our need is O-line depth. Hopefully we can swing a trade or pick someone off waivers. I like the Kendricks signing. This is a good team. I still think Lance will be week 1 starter, I've been on that train for awhile. I just don't know what they're going to do with Jimmy.
Originally posted by Waterbear:

Lol sound like some BS

Lol sound like some BS

The only BS is you saying our fans don't care about winning.

Sour grapes much?
The throws he missed didnt exactly alleviate the concerns. The miss down the middle and especially the 12-15 yard comeback route throw that sailed well out of bounds were both inaccurate. There were couple of more throws that could have been intercepted. Really struggled in the 2-minute drill.

The TD was great, as were some earlier passes. Was interesting that zero zone reads were ran. Pocket presence iffy so far. Nice to see extended plays and going for bigger plays. Sometimes took a while to get rid of the ball or read the pressure.

Encouraging so far, but the rawness is also visible.

Lol sound like some BS

The only BS is you saying our fans don't care about winning.

Sour grapes much?
Well on this site its style points, who really thought a rookie can do anything?
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
Let's be honest... not an impressive performance.

Outside of an 80 yard pass that was perfectly designed, he didn't too much to show the supposed amazing intelligence and preparedness that everyone raved about. He's big with a live arm, but we already knew that.

He took way took way too many hits andngot gun shy when the first read was taken away... all to be expected from a kid who hasnt played football in over 300 days, but still, disappointing. He needs at least a year to sit.

D+ / C-

lol what an awful take.

He's a rookie QB who hasn't really played in 2 years, and the last time he did play it was against second rate college teams. This is his very first NFL action, and he held his own. That in itself is really promising.

This is the problem with the 49ers fanbase. They expect Joe Montana from every QB, all the time. Brand new rookie in his first preseason game? Not even a beautiful 80 yard TD bomb is good enough. Not Joe Montana, so its a D+. 🙄
He still performed better than the best quarterback in the league Patrick Mahomes did vs the Bucs when he had a similar offensive line to what Trey had last night. No QB in this league can be anywhere close to their best when they are getting no protection. And not only did Trey get no protection but he was not allowed to run it seemed which negates one of his strengths. And on top of that his receivers couldn't catch the ball. Even sure handed Aiyuk dropped a perfect pass. Everything was working against him but still still managed to not look horrible. What I liked was in his post game press he took all the blame, Didn't throw anybody under the bus.
Grant going on a temper tantrum like a child lol.
Originally posted by JTB1974:
He still performed better than the best quarterback in the league Patrick Mahomes did vs the Bucs when he had a similar offensive line to what Trey had last night. No QB in this league can be anywhere close to their best when they are getting no protection. And not only did Trey get no protection but he was not allowed to run it seemed which negates one of his strengths. And on top of that his receivers couldn't catch the ball. Even sure handed Aiyuk dropped a perfect pass. Everything was working against him but still still managed to not look horrible. What I liked was in his post game press he took all the blame, Didn't throw anybody under the bus.

Trey played like garbage. It's worse when viewed a second time. Two of those sacks were his fault, one for holding the ball and not sensing pressure, another in the shotgun because he kept retreating and set his left tackle up to fail.

He patted the ball a lot, and that hitch in his motion is a little worrisome. Also threw two balls that were dropped by Chiefs defenders. The blitz seemed to rattle him and overall he was wildly inconsistent and got worse as the game went on.

His best throw was the drop by James on that deep out route... really good timing throw. But he missed on about 3-4 other timing throws.

I think he ends up ironing out his kinks and proves to be a solid quarterback, but right now he's just a big, raw kid with a live arm. I didn't once feel like he was "special" out there, and considering where we drafted him, what we gave up and who we passed up I cant help but feel disappointed.

A long way to go, though.
[ Edited by DaBeegDeek on Aug 15, 2021 at 12:07 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone