LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
The zone is funny, and to be fair I was about to add to it before reading the last few pages. I think I've seen one, maybe two objective write ups, everything else is just confirmation bias.

If you liked Trey he played well and there were drops, if you didn't he only made two good plays and is trash.

He'd have liked to have played better, but he played better than only other time I've seen him play with the handicap of not running (the 1st half of Central Arkansas).

That's probably the type of performance you'll get if you take away his running ability or the threat of it. Good thing that won't happen in real games.

I'm still calling for Trey in week 1, but next week is huge, both the practices and the game.

Yeah, next week is huge - a good game and Trey is back in the mix.
Three things that stood out to me.

1. On the 80 Yd bomb, Trey went deep instead of hitting the shorter pass that was also open. That's in stark contrast to Jimmy. Trey has the superior arm and he's not afraid to use it.

2.On the Cracraft drop, Trey threw a strike downfield to the outside. Again, a stark contrast to that other guy.

3.Jimmy sure did look like the same old Jimmy. Short and safe passes.
You can see the talent is there. Played like a rookie but was under a lot of pressure.

Hopefully he gets some reps with the ones this week.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GoldenFortyNiner:
You can see the talent is there. Played like a rookie but was under a lot of pressure.

We know what we have with Jimmy - Trey should get all the reps with the one's this week and Sunday.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Aug 15, 2021 at 4:38 AM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by GoldenFortyNiner:

We know what we have with Jimmy - Trey should get all the reps with the one's this week and Sunday.

Yeah, Kyle nerds to give an opportunity with the 1s next week. Let's see how much he Improves by then.
Trey actually had the best yards per attempt number in the game, at 9.1. Passing percentage is kind of an overr-rated stat, yards per attempt is more meaningful.
It was a great showing from Trey but also showed he has things to work on which is to be expected.

Sharp contrast between the two QBs in how they played.

I'm actually glad it wasn't all sunshine and rainbows for Trey. I'm confident he'll work on the 2 minute drive scenarios and improve there with more and more exposure.

Would definitely like to see our guys not have the drops just cuz the ball is coming in hot now.

Our future is very bright but I'm about to join team NC and want all OL drafts until we turn it into as deep a unit as our OL.
It was a good experience for Trey but mixed performance last night. The highs were the TD and the throw from the end zone. But he also, whether intentionally or unintentionally threw into coverages that resulted in almost INTs. Took sacks to not make things worst. But also got out of would be sacks to make positive yards completions. Victim of a couple of drops on excellent passes too.

Once he mentally catchup to the NFL though...

Originally posted by JTB1974:
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
Everyone is playing with or against backups right now. All I'm saying is that Lance didnt impress me. I saw nothing that warranted him being taken over Fields, who does everything he does... but better and in a more polished package, battle tested and with an incomparable resume.

Just giving my take. While I love Fields, I'm a 49ers fan first and foremost. I assure you theres no bias.

Fields was horrible in the 1st half and only started to have success once he got outside the pocket and got to play vs the 3rd string players. And he had way better protection all game. I watched that game and he was rarely ever under pressure. Also for the record Trey is the only QB of the 5 that were drafted in the 1st RD this year that had a TD pass vs the 1st string defense.

I was team Fields and happy to see him playing well but the few plays I caught of him early(was at a bday party) were just ok and a couple of near picks. Also his TD was to a WIDE open TE, like not a soul around wide open.

Absolutely no reason to compare. Trey's first drive was against most KC starters without our starting LT, C and All Pro TE, I think even Deebo was off the field by then.

The reason we drafted Lance over Fields from all accounts is his mind. Pretty stupid at this point to say the decision wasn't a wise one given his improvement since being drafted and clear talent.
Originally posted by IrishCrnjo:
Trey actually had the best yards per attempt number in the game, at 9.1. Passing percentage is kind of an overr-rated stat, yards per attempt is more meaningful.

One throw made that stat. That's not me hating but 80 yards on one throw makes that go from 3.1 to 9.1. Again Trey hit that throw so all credit in the world but YPA can be overrated as well when one throw can dramatically change the numbers.

Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
The zone is funny, and to be fair I was about to add to it before reading the last few pages. I think I've seen one, maybe two objective write ups, everything else is just confirmation bias.

If you liked Trey he played well and there were drops, if you didn't he only made two good plays and is trash.

He'd have liked to have played better, but he played better than only other time I've seen him play with the handicap of not running (the 1st half of Central Arkansas).

That's probably the type of performance you'll get if you take away his running ability or the threat of it. Good thing that won't happen in real games.

I'm still calling for Trey in week 1, but next week is huge, both the practices and the game.

I was expecting something like I saw last night…like you said the kid hasn't played live football since Oct and even that game was more scrimmage then anything else.

Kid needs continuous reps and I'll bet money we see improvements vs LA.
Originally posted by jvangeystel:
I do think people are overreacting a bit. Some people pretend that the pressure can be ignored so easily. Like Lance is supposed to be the one qb in history to not have his play affected by 4 sacks. If this was a full game that Jimmy played and he got sacked 4 times that would be the narrative. Trey got sacked 4 times in 30 or so snaps.

The biggest takeaway that gets me going is the mature handling of the situation. He got up there on the podium and said it's all on me. I left plays out there, I got myself sacked. This is what you want to hear from a grizzled vet let alone a 21 year old rookie. This will make his recievers and linemen want to show up for him that much more. I do agree that he needs to be given an opportunity to play with the ones to be truly compared to Jimmy.

I've said it before. If we start Jimmy you kind of have to make it his job to lose. There cannot be a mid season change that isn't warranted. Once you start Lance you have to let him play it out. Best case scenario long term is to move Jimmy for something while we can. Best case scenario short term is Jimmy starts and Trey manages to beat him out mid season. Worst case scenario Trey sits this year. Any way you cut it I think we're in a really good spot.

I agree with your analysis. Except for the last sentence.

The team is only in a really good situation if this is handled correctly. KS and company are playing it close to the vest and we can only hope that they make the correct decision for the good of the team and not themselves and their ego (not that they would).
Based only on last night: Lance is not other worldly, but he can, and should, handle the job day one. He can, and he's only going to get better playing. You can see that he's mature enough to handle it. To put it off only delays the team's development, not to mention wastes a year of the beneficial rookie contract. The team will be just marking time. If you're not getting better, you're just getting worse.
The team needs to get used to playing with a full deck and with Garoppolo you're at best playing with just a half deck. That should be obvious.

Lance will learn nothing by sitting and watching Garoppolo; he's way beyond that.

Garoppolo HAS to be moved to create salary cap space and not face the risk of injury and having to eat and lose the space. Hopefully management is setting things up to do this.
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
Shanny seemed to deliberately call plays that put Trey in difficult situations for him to learn from. He could have easily call the game that would make Trey look like a GOAT from the start, but that wouldn't help his development.

Much different than what Nagy called. Shanahan called a game like a guy who has the luxury of a good starting QB and enough time to let his new toy properly develop. Nagy is on the hot seat and his QB is in a competition. One of these QBs are on the path of limited instant success and then getting "found out".
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
Originally posted by JTB1974:
He still performed better than the best quarterback in the league Patrick Mahomes did vs the Bucs when he had a similar offensive line to what Trey had last night. No QB in this league can be anywhere close to their best when they are getting no protection. And not only did Trey get no protection but he was not allowed to run it seemed which negates one of his strengths. And on top of that his receivers couldn't catch the ball. Even sure handed Aiyuk dropped a perfect pass. Everything was working against him but still still managed to not look horrible. What I liked was in his post game press he took all the blame, Didn't throw anybody under the bus.

Trey played like garbage. It's worse when viewed a second time. Two of those sacks were his fault, one for holding the ball and not sensing pressure, another in the shotgun because he kept retreating and set his left tackle up to fail.

He patted the ball a lot, and that hitch in his motion is a little worrisome. Also threw two balls that were dropped by Chiefs defenders. The blitz seemed to rattle him and overall he was wildly inconsistent and got worse as the game went on.

His best throw was the drop by James on that deep out route... really good timing throw. But he missed on about 3-4 other timing throws.

I think he ends up ironing out his kinks and proves to be a solid quarterback, but right now he's just a big, raw kid with a live arm. I didn't once feel like he was "special" out there, and considering where we drafted him, what we gave up and who we passed up I cant help but feel disappointed.

A long way to go, though.

Played like garbage? Exaggerate much? He didn't look rattled at all…he's just a rookie. We've seen rattled QB play that wasn't it.
I wonder what his "sports bra" telemetry was reading during the game? Do they get to wear those things?
Share 49ersWebzone