LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 258 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by Ensatsu:

I did think it was odd. There was a lot of drop back passes today.

ya qbs never drop back and pass anymore. very odd thing for a quarterback to do

Some of you need to take a deep breath lol. He's barely even practiced. The o line wasnt great. It's so early. He made a couple nice throws, and missed a few. The receivers also dropped a few. I'm sure they'll work on the reasons he took the sacks, although only one was really on him.

Overall it was an OK first appearance. I'm sure it will improve a lot each time.
Originally posted by Heed49er:
I wonder what his "sports bra" telemetry was reading during the game? Do they get to wear those things?

I also need to see the bra report.
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
Shanny seemed to deliberately call plays that put Trey in difficult situations for him to learn from. He could have easily call the game that would make Trey look like a GOAT from the start, but that wouldn't help his development.

Much different than what Nagy called. Shanahan called a game like a guy who has the luxury of a good starting QB and enough time to let his new toy properly develop. Nagy is on the hot seat and his QB is in a competition. One of these QBs are on the path of limited instant success and then getting "found out".

Ya that's one thing that stood out. Outside of that screen pass to Jennings, everything seemed to be beyond the sticks or very near. KS also wanted to work on Sermons pass blocking, so he was just back there blocking so not to many dump off plays for Lance.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by jvangeystel:
I do think people are overreacting a bit. Some people pretend that the pressure can be ignored so easily. Like Lance is supposed to be the one qb in history to not have his play affected by 4 sacks. If this was a full game that Jimmy played and he got sacked 4 times that would be the narrative. Trey got sacked 4 times in 30 or so snaps.

The biggest takeaway that gets me going is the mature handling of the situation. He got up there on the podium and said it's all on me. I left plays out there, I got myself sacked. This is what you want to hear from a grizzled vet let alone a 21 year old rookie. This will make his recievers and linemen want to show up for him that much more. I do agree that he needs to be given an opportunity to play with the ones to be truly compared to Jimmy.

I've said it before. If we start Jimmy you kind of have to make it his job to lose. There cannot be a mid season change that isn't warranted. Once you start Lance you have to let him play it out. Best case scenario long term is to move Jimmy for something while we can. Best case scenario short term is Jimmy starts and Trey manages to beat him out mid season. Worst case scenario Trey sits this year. Any way you cut it I think we're in a really good spot.

I agree with your analysis. Except for the last sentence.

The team is only in a really good situation if this is handled correctly. KS and company are playing it close to the vest and we can only hope that they make the correct decision for the good of the team and not themselves and their ego (not that they would).
Based only on last night: Lance is not other worldly, but he can, and should, handle the job day one. He can, and he's only going to get better playing. You can see that he's mature enough to handle it. To put it off only delays the team's development, not to mention wastes a year of the beneficial rookie contract. The team will be just marking time. If you're not getting better, you're just getting worse.
The team needs to get used to playing with a full deck and with Garoppolo you're at best playing with just a half deck. That should be obvious.

Lance will learn nothing by sitting and watching Garoppolo; he's way beyond that.

Garoppolo HAS to be moved to create salary cap space and not face the risk of injury and having to eat and lose the space.
Hopefully management is setting things up to do this.
NO, NO, NOOOOOO! Even if Lance beats out Jimmy and starts week 1, which as of today he should not, you trust Rosen or Sudfeld to be QB2 and QB3? The way Lance likes to run, you think he is Superman and not capable of being injured? Jimmy is insurance if nothing else, and fine quality insurance at that! This is a Super Bowl caliber roster and honestly it should be Super Bowl or bust this year. There is no reason to move off Jimmy until the off-season next year. I love draft capital and cap space as much as the next person but that does not take precedent over winning a Super Bowl. Jimmy has shown he can get us to the dance and needs to remain on this team whether he is QB1 or QB2.
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
Shanny seemed to deliberately call plays that put Trey in difficult situations for him to learn from. He could have easily call the game that would make Trey look like a GOAT from the start, but that wouldn't help his development.

Much different than what Nagy called. Shanahan called a game like a guy who has the luxury of a good starting QB and enough time to let his new toy properly develop. Nagy is on the hot seat and his QB is in a competition. One of these QBs are on the path of limited instant success and then getting "found out".

Ya that's one thing that stood out. Outside of that screen pass to Jennings, everything seemed to be beyond the sticks or very near. KS also wanted to work on Sermons pass blocking, so he was just back there blocking so not to many dump off plays for Lance.

For sure. Trey was pushing that ball down the field. KS best seasons were Matty Ice working the ball down field.
Jimmy simply cannot make that deep throw for the TD. He can't even make that deep out throw consistently.
Looked like a kid who hasn't played football in two years. Plus this is the most difficult defense he had ever faced.

Considering that, he didn't look too bad.
What got ro see some plays that make him a special talent and a top 3 prospect, we got to see some plays that show he's hasn't played football in a little while and is a rookie.

outside of one throw I thought his mechanics, especially his base/footwork were great. That's awesome to see. We some very accurate throws that were just dropped & we saw a couple head scratchers…much like guys like Mahomes/allen when they were all rookies.

overall glad it wasn't just one read and go stuff, he was playing inside the pocket. Overall not too bad based on what I was expecting .
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Aug 15, 2021 at 7:20 AM ]
  • CJ75
  • Veteran
Hard to judge from his play when so many things were out of his control. The drops in the beginning & the bad 2nd OL. Jimmy was benched multiple times last year and people blamed his performance for poor O line play but won't give the same assessment for a rookie QB? Lol JFC

All in all I thought he looked okay. I want to see him w/ the starters.
[ Edited by CJ75 on Aug 15, 2021 at 7:22 AM ]
Ok start for Trey. Zero chance he starts week 1. He needs to sit this season and we need JG to have a solid year.

Looking forward to see how he does with the Chargers this week in practice.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Some of you need to take a deep breath lol. He's barely even practiced. The o line wasnt great. It's so early. He made a couple nice throws, and missed a few. The receivers also dropped a few. I'm sure they'll work on the reasons he took the sacks, although only one was really on him.

Overall it was an OK first appearance. I'm sure it will improve a lot each time.

Do people remember Kap's debut in preseason? His play matched the reports from training camp almost to a T.

Awesome talent, big arm, takes shots down field…but needs work in situation team drills.

Nothing will test a rookie quicker than a 2 minute(or less) drive. Lance just turned 21 and coming up from lower competition. It would've been awesome if he was flawless but not realistic. The good was great, the bad was fixable.
It was a successful debut for Trey... best thing I saw was poise, he handled himself really well and didn't show any deer in the headlights kind of looks
That 80 yard ICBM by Trey was a thrill!

Nevertheless, here's got some work to do in the rythym of the NFL game.

People dismissively rag on JG because he lives in the short and medium passing world. That's the foundation of the WCO, and that game requires very good timing, accuracy, and touch. It's not easy.

Steve Young wasn't born there, but eventually he became a WCO machine with his array of talents.

TL will get there eventually and will be great too, because he loves the game and is putting in the work.

We prefer the instant gratification, but this one will need to play out a while.

Lots of joyous moments are coming with this team!
[ Edited by WestCoastForever on Aug 15, 2021 at 7:51 AM ]
a big arm does not make a superbowl winning qb. The most worrisome thing for me was how he got rattled. He lacked pocket awareness was inaccurate and was confused. There was no poise. I'm hoping this is because Shanahan instructed him not to take off. He had 4 or so good passes. 1 great pass. The rest was horrible. He needs at least a year.. There is no way this guy starts this year, especially with a superbowl ready roster.
Share 49ersWebzone